Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Besiege - An Asymmetrical War Game - Craentich Fortress - Tuesday 02:00  (Read 2803 times)

Kashyyk

• Bay Watcher
  • One letter short of a wookie
    • View Profile

Core Thread

Greetings Commander. The foul greenskins have descended from the North once more, and are intent on laying waste to the Kingdom. Messengers have already been dispatched to gather reinforcements, who should arrive in seven days. We just have to hold out until then.

Spoiler: Forces (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: The Fortress (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: The Foundry (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: The Watchtower (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: The Barracks (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: The Hospital (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Decision Points (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: August 12, 2018, 10:58:50 am by Kashyyk »

Basil ii

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Besiege - An Asymmetrical War Game - Craentich Fortress
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2018, 07:54:59 am »

I am thinking that we should focus on High quality units [knights] but most of all archers the filthy green skins should not even have a chance at getting close.

Urist Mc Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2018, 02:03:35 pm »

Let's have two knights work on training recruits as archers, and have the rangers lay traps on the north-west path.

Shadowclaw777

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Wisenheimer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2018, 07:08:41 pm »

Ballistas and maximizing archers should be the priority

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2018, 07:27:17 pm »

What, if anything, do the ramparts do? Or do they just act as an area for enemies to move within that is within range of our marksmen?

And are the archers/marksmen at each tower/gatehouse guarding the two wall sections and 3 ramparts closest to it?

It says that we can dismantled a tower engine for half the time cost, but is there a reason to do so? Do we have limited numbers of them?

Do soldiers in a courtyard automatically defend the connected wall sections?

Will we be able to see the enemies once they enter within a certain range, or are do we need to send people out to find them?

What does reinforcing a wall do? Can we do it to our current undamaged walls?

Are knights on raids more powerful or able to choose targets in a group then knights simply defending the walls?

Are Mantlets and Siege Towers seige engines that can be targeted by the Trebuchet? Or are they something else?

If this isn't part of the combat rules we're not allowed to know many attacks can the marksmen get between enemies moving from the ramparts to the walls, and archers and marksmen get on enemies at the walls before combat?

Can recruits move Straw Soldiers and Ladder Poles?
« Last Edit: July 25, 2018, 07:51:19 pm by Criptfeind »

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2018, 07:54:15 pm »

I'd like to purpose for the other players consideration the following 12 hours of orders (Very tentative until my questions are answered. Even then not really sure what's best):

Forces: 5 Archers to each of the N/S/E/W Gatehouses/Towers. 2 Veterans to the South and North Courtyards. 3 Veterans to the East and West Courtyards. One Knights to the East and West Courtyards and North Courtyard. Leave 2 Knights and the Hero (and 20 recruits) in the central courtyard)
Foundry: 10 hours spent building a Trebuchet in the Northern Gatehouse. 2 Hours spent building a Trebuchet in the Eastern Tower
Watchtower: 6 hour spent Laying Traps in the path on the grey road north of the Northern Rampart. 6 Hours Laying Traps on the path to the North-East Rampart.
The Barracks 2 Knights Train Recruits as Archers for 10 hours. Then Again for another 2. (Maybe training marksmen might be better. Totally unsure how good extra shots at the rampart are.)

Needs more thought after questions answered.
« Last Edit: July 26, 2018, 04:17:55 pm by Criptfeind »

Kashyyk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2018, 10:58:12 pm »

Excellent questions.  I'll also add these answers to the OP.

What, if anything, do the ramparts do? Or do they just act as an area for enemies to move within that is within range of our marksmen? Ramparts, like the staging area and main camp are a location that the enemy can deploy to and hold soldiers at. It is technically out of bow range, but ballista, trebuchet and marksmen can still hit targets there. Trebuchet can hit staging areas as well. They also act as a location where hostile siege engines can be built and deployed. 

And are the archers/marksmen at each tower/gatehouse guarding the two wall sections and 3 ramparts closest to it? Each tower/gatehouse covers the adjacent wall and associated Rampart

It says that we can dismantled a tower engine for half the time cost, but is there a reason to do so? Do we have limited numbers of them? You have more than enough parts for every siege engine, however you may decide that you want to replace the one currently at a tower with something else

Do soldiers in a courtyard automatically defend the connected wall sections?No, however an assault from a rampart is a decision point, and the time taken to reach the walls from the Rampart is conveniently the same time taken to get on the wall from a courtyard. Thus soldiers will be on the wall in time you defend, but won't be shoot arrows at the enemy as they approach. 

Will we be able to see the enemies once they enter within a certain range, or are do we need to send people out to find them? you whip be able to see them once they leave the Main Camp. During the day, you'll be able to discern exact size of force and any siege engines moved, whilst at night you'll only be able to see the torches used by enemy forces, giving tout a rough estimate of size. Beware, it is known that some of the enemy units have night vision and thus no need for touches. 

What does reinforcing a wall do? Can we do it to our current undamaged walls? Each tower, gatehouse, wall and gate starts with two strength, and can be reinforced up to four. Certain hostile siege engines will damage them. If a wall is destroyed, the enemy will be able to assault it without needing ladders or siege towers. Destroyed towers and gatehouses will be ungarrisonable, and any siege engines in it will be destroyed whilst any forces in it will be sent to the hospital. 

Are knights on raids more powerful or able to choose targets in a group then knights simply defending the walls? They have the same strength, but target's can be picked. Further, because they are mounted they can strike at any of the three nearest ramparts and do not take damage in retaliation.

Are Mantlets and Siege Towers seige engines that can be targeted by the Trebuchet? Or are they something else? They can be targeted by the trebuchet.

If this isn't part of the combat rules we're not allowed to know many attacks can the marksmen get between enemies moving from the ramparts to the walls, and archers and marksmen get on enemies at the walls before combat? All ranged units get an Attack as the enemy approaches the walls. They get another one every combat round, during which Hostiles will climb the walls and melee will occur

Can recruits move Straw Soldiers and Ladder Poles? Yes

Also, the grey road is not actually a path for thr horde, it's just to hammer home which of the towers are actually gatehouses. Marksmen  (along with trebuchet and ballista) get one attack per hour.

Edit: I have added a section to the OP on Decision Points.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2018, 11:29:40 pm by Kashyyk »

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2018, 04:34:04 pm »

Interesting, so, just to make sure I understand exactly: You say each tower can defend the adjacent wall and associated rampart, but each tower is next to two walls, and those two walls are next to three ramparts, so I'm not sure how to parse that, if the tower can defend only exactly 1 rampart, or the 3 associated ramparts to it's adjacent walls. To illustrate: A marksmen on the eastern tower can shoot at enemies at the North-East, East, and South-East Rampart, or just the East Rampart?

On decision points, looking at this it looks like we're mostly going to want to sort our guys around constantly to face towards wherever they are coming from, which is potentially problematic with the structure of the real time nature of the game and decision points. If they are all on one side, so we have our forces there, and then they start moving at the start of a six hour period to the other side, we won't really be able to catch them if the decision point is that they attack, and now we can only shift our guys one movement before they reach the walls. I don't really have a solution to this issue, but it's something that worries me.

Kashyyk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 26, 2018, 04:51:36 pm »

Sorry, I'll clarify.  Each tower can target the Rampart at the same bearing. So east tower to east rampart, etc.

Part of the Decision Point issue is mitigated by the time cost involved with constantly circling the castle. As the attackers have a larger circumference to cover, it will always take them longer then it would take the defenders. Further, you are welcome to add decision points for the enemy leaving a staging area for example which will allow you to react in time.

Kashyyk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 29, 2018, 02:52:00 am »

We did have a plan, until I apparently scuppered it with my answers. We need one in order to continue.

Rockeater

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 29, 2018, 04:31:08 am »

Ptp
Damnit people, this is why I said to keep the truce. Because now everyone's ganging up on the cats.
Also, don't forget to contact your local Eldritch Being(s), so that they can help with our mission to destroy the universe.

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 29, 2018, 07:39:47 am »

Heh heh, right, sorry. I got caught up in trying to figure out how to craft a defense that didn't involved the Decision Point: Whenever an enemy moves. Since that'd be extremely tedious and negate the point of the real time nature game.

Kashyyk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 29, 2018, 12:35:57 pm »

I'm not at all against that idea, to be completely honest. I might change my mind in practice but I've already decided not to change any of the rules mid game.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2018, 03:22:21 pm by Kashyyk »

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
  • Haven't tried coffee crisps.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 29, 2018, 01:39:55 pm »

It seems rather quiet here, so I suppose I will propose something: Let's station archers at all towers as scouts, and skew our melee forces towards the north end of the castle. If I read correctly, most of them (besides knights) only fight when the enemy tries to climb the wall, so placing them in the north courtyard should have them capable of moving to any location before the enemy, as long as they don't sneak up on us, and the archers should prevent that as long as daylight lasts.

Quote from: Plan A
Troop Movement:
North Tower: 6 Archers, 4 Knights
North Courtyard: 10 Veterans, Hero
East Tower: 6 Archers
West Tower: 6 Archers
South Tower: 2 Archers, 1 Knight

Foundry:
Begin construction of a Ballista on the North Tower

Watchtower:
Don't start laying traps until we see where the enemy is moving.

Barracks:
Begin training two Recruits as Archers.

Decision Points:
Hold position until we get a good idea were enemies are going- so probably wait until we see some of them actually enter ramparts, or make their way to the west/east rampart without stopping. If they go to any of the northern/eastern areas, move an equal distribution of our veterans into position on the walls.

Quote from: Votes:
Plan A: (1) Sensei
Let's Play: Automation! Bay 12 Motor Company Buy the 1950 Urist Wagon for just $4500! Safety features optional.
The Bay 12 & Mates Discord Join now! Voice/text chat and play games with other Bay12'ers!
Add me on Steam: [DFC] Sensei

Rockeater

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 29, 2018, 01:42:31 pm »

What if they come from the south?
I see, they still will probobly send some people in the south
« Last Edit: July 29, 2018, 02:37:32 pm by Rockeater »
Damnit people, this is why I said to keep the truce. Because now everyone's ganging up on the cats.
Also, don't forget to contact your local Eldritch Being(s), so that they can help with our mission to destroy the universe.
Pages: [1] 2 3