Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Adventurer's Journal v2  (Read 21481 times)

Jack-22

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Adventurer's Journal v2
« on: November 05, 2018, 07:25:07 pm »

New version: 2018/11-4 - see next post for details

This is the new version of this utility. Now more stable and elegant.
Features were improved via DFHack. Details below:

See imagens here:

App:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Achievements:

A full menu example in the game (Alt-J)

A quest in progress!

Another exemple:

And now the presentation

AJ2:

- Which is?

AJ2 is the abbreviation for "Adventurer's Journal v2".
It is a utility program for Dwarf Fortress.

- What's the use?

AJ2 creates a quests system for the adventure mode of the Dwarf Fortress game.
This helps players better orient themselves on what to do during the game.
This feature expands the "roguelike" style of the game so that it also contains some "RPG" element.

- How it works?

The AJ2 acts as a server by continuously reading the gamelog.txt file from the game.
So it's necessary to start AJ2, configure it and leave it in the background while playing Dwarf Fortress.
And this must be done before starting Dwarf Fortress. (IMPORTANT)

When an event is identified as a rumor of problems with beasts or treasures it will be transformed
in a quest and will be available in a list of quests in a separate file, called 'Journal'.
Several DFHack scripts will be created dynamically by AJ2 based on this information.

Once in the game the player can access the list of quests using the Alt-J shortcut. And in the list you can choose the mission you want.
The chosen mission will be 'in progress' and guidelines will be available for the adventurer to find his target.

-Is there anything else AJ2 can do for me?

Yes. The AJ2 settings allow you to optionally expand the in-game menu (which is triggered by the Alt-J shortcut).
You can have various DFHack scripts and features within the game in an immersive way:

* open-legends
* ssense
* twaterlvl
* die
* questport

And some cheats for use in certain screens (also configurable optionally):

* full-heal
* create-item
* make-legendary
* adv-max-skill

Read more about this in the DFHack documentation.

A save scumm feature was also included in AJ2. Which can also optionally be expanded in the in-game menu.
He will make the copy of the last save game, so that the player never loses his save in case of permanent death.
I know this breaks with the 'roguelike' style, but it creates more gameplay options for those who appreciate 'RPG'.

- What do I need to play with AJ2?

You only need:
1) Dwarf Fortress 0.44.12
2) DFHack 0.44.12-r1
3) Know how to play adventure mode

- Where do I get this?
http://dffd.bay12games.com/file.php?id=14101

Enjoy!
« Last Edit: November 21, 2018, 04:47:11 pm by Jack-22 »

Jack-22

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Adventurer's Journal v2
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2018, 08:24:27 am »

Fixed

Version 2018/11-4:
Increasing the maximum number of quests allowed in a Journal.

Version 2018/11-3:
Fixed bug in resourse "Update Full" (error message)
Adjusted achievements (now the top is not a 'error')

Version 2018/11-2:
Fixed small error on the screen of achievements

Version 2018/11-1:
Debut!
« Last Edit: November 21, 2018, 04:49:22 pm by Jack-22 »

sketchesofpayne

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2018, 01:54:09 pm »

I will have to try this out.  I've been taking notes in MS Word on my second monitor to track quests.

-edit-

It threw this error at me when I hit "Update full" but I hit continue and everything seemed to be working fine.  Maybe something I did/didn't do.

Having started using it mid-adventure mode, under achievements it has "Researcher: 63/20 completed quests (315) - error".  Just to let you know.  Also, can we rename JSave01.txt within the application?  It probably doesn't matter, but might be relevant in some cases.

The mouse-over help text is very, very much appreciated!  As far as collecting quests from dialog it is working great.  I'll give more feedback as I use it more.
« Last Edit: November 16, 2018, 04:43:59 pm by sketchesofpayne »

Jack-22

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2018, 08:20:39 am »

Hello, sketchesofpayne

About your opinion:

the "Update full" feature will be reviewed to correct the error you mentioned.
If you can send me your gamelog.txt to jackson.freitas@gmail.com to help me on this. Thank you.

The error in achievements is a "stack overflow", you have more quests researched than I predicted, I will correct for the next version.

On renaming JSave01.txt within the application: currently this is not possible.
If there is a need for this, I can review it, but I see no reason ...

Thank you very much for the feedback. I want to make this utility something really useful and that suits the adventurers.
I'll include your nick in the credits for the next version.

Jack-22

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2018, 08:23:55 am »

Keep giving opinions and catching bugs. This will make the AJ2 a utility made to fit our needs. Thank you.

sketchesofpayne

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2018, 03:41:24 pm »

I caught an error and this time I saved out the debug dialog box text and my gamelog.txt

I've sent you a message with dropbox links for them.

Jack-22

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2018, 04:22:27 pm »

thank you. I'll check.

Jack-22

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2018, 04:46:53 pm »

I uploaded a new version with the correction. Thanks for gamelog.txt, it helped a lot.
They can communicate me bugs via personal messages. Good idea. So we do not pollute this forum very much.

Pvt. Pirate

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Linux User
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 23, 2018, 01:48:49 pm »

PTW
"dwarves are by definition alcohol powered parasitic beards, which will cling to small caveadapt humanoids." (Chaia)

Jack-22

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 07, 2018, 02:36:49 pm »

With the help of the gamelogs.txt that were sent to me I could still detect some bugs.
Mainly in artifact search missions. (Treasure Hunt). But also in gameplay details. I'll make the corrections.

I noticed that some lists of missions are huge. Depending on the persistence of the player.
So I think about improving the missions list screen. I want to put some target search feature by region

I hope to have news soon

Jack-22

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 05, 2019, 07:44:37 pm »

After almost a year on other projects I am resuming this.
Forgive me for this absence. We all have life, don't we?

I have been looking at the utility and after all this time I realize that it is a bit complicated to operate. Lots of buttons, lots of features that aren't as useful as I imagined.

For this I reformulated the utility. The new version is much simpler to use and to the point.

It is in console application format (a classic touch) and features only the quest list, quest detail screen and a few other things I use.

DFHack is not required. Works fine without it. But for those who like DFHack I added the 'quest in progress' window in game.

The link to it is here.

I leave the source code attached for code lovers.

Fi

• Bay Watcher
  • φ
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 21, 2019, 07:08:51 am »

Thank you for this tool. ❦

I have been searching for more utilities that assist in making Adventure Mode a bit easier to handle, and this one helps quite a bit with keeping track of my quests among other useful features I can use whenever necessary.

After almost a year on other projects I am resuming this.
Forgive me for this absence. We all have life, don't we?

I have been looking at the utility and after all this time I realize that it is a bit complicated to operate. Lots of buttons, lots of features that aren't as useful as I imagined.

For this I reformulated the utility. The new version is much simpler to use and to the point.

It is in console application format (a classic touch) and features only the quest list, quest detail screen and a few other things I use.

DFHack is not required. Works fine without it. But for those who like DFHack I added the 'quest in progress' window in game.

The link to it is here.

I leave the source code attached for code lovers.

Surprisingly enough, I find all of the features provided in the windowed version with very convenient in-game interfaces that can be opened with the ALT+J command to be more useful than what the console version provides through simplification. (Also, the console version seems to make text randomly appear in different spots of the console.)

I hope you will continue to keep both versions up-to-date whenever you find time to do so because there do not seem to be many mods that offer direct support to Adventure Mode. If you are taking suggestions for Adventurer's Journal, would adding these features be too much trouble?

• A notepad for jotting down important information.
  • Ability to mark locations/place pins on the world map.
  • Ability to add notes to those marked/pinned locations on the world map.

Jack-22

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 21, 2019, 12:01:05 pm »

If at least one adventurer felt satisfied with the utility, I'm happy. Thank you.

About keeping both versions up to date, I need to see the possibilities. I am no longer sure if I have the latest source code from the windowed version, but I can go back to what I have and improve it (including making the source code available).
So you may not make updates to this at this time.

About the console version: I'm on this for now, and the latest version already has a map with markers (take a look on file depot, release 10).

This map opens in a separate window and presents the player's entire world (requires export via legends with the help of DFHack, of course). And at first I liked the result.

About your suggestions: it is not very difficult to do ... but I can not put pins in the game map, but in the map of the utility itself is possible. I will see it. I think it might be useful, really.

Really liked the utility in window mode? I think I'll stabilize the console version and proceed with the window version.
All for the adventurers.

Fi

• Bay Watcher
  • φ
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 21, 2019, 06:12:57 pm »

If at least one adventurer felt satisfied with the utility, I'm happy. Thank you.

Of course! I appreciate anyone and anything that strives to make any game or game mode I enjoy playing a more pleasant experience for myself and the rest of the community that likes it just as much. ❦

About keeping both versions up to date, I need to see the possibilities. I am no longer sure if I have the latest source code from the windowed version, but I can go back to what I have and improve it (including making the source code available).
So you may not make updates to this at this time.

Ah, that is unfortunate—the source code being possibly lost, but I hope you're able to find the source code for the windowed version again since I honestly prefer its convenience and utility over the console version. Take your time with their development, though! I do not want you to feel rushed or pressured to focus on Adventurer's Journal over everything else.

Oh, and about keeping both up-to-date, I mentioned both of them because I was not sure if there are other Adventurers who prefer the console version over the windowed version, so I figured it would be fair and safe to assume that there are some Adventurers who do. If I had to pick which one to keep up-to-date, well, I am sure you know my choice by now, haha.

About the console version: I'm on this for now, and the latest version already has a map with markers (take a look on file depot, release 10).

This map opens in a separate window and presents the player's entire world (requires export via legends with the help of DFHack, of course). And at first I liked the result.

About your suggestions: it is not very difficult to do ... but I can not put pins in the game map, but in the map of the utility itself is possible. I will see it. I think it might be useful, really.

Markers as in the symbols we all know and love that tell us what is what on the map? Yeah, I saw it in the console version and it is incredibly helpful to have an on-demand world map I can view without needing to rely on Legends Viewer, Legends Browser, or World Viewer unless I want more verbose information about my world that Adventurer's Journal does not provide (yet..?). Hmm... I think I should have clarified that I meant markers as in pins—not markers as in symbols. That was my mistake.

Thank you for considering that suggestion by the way! I tend to get a little lost from time to time when wanting to journey back to my Adventurer's "home" (point at which she spawned), so I thought that and the ability to type notes into those pins might be really helpful features for anyone who is as forgetful or terrible at directions like I am.

Really liked the utility in window mode? I think I'll stabilize the console version and proceed with the window version.
All for the adventurers.

Absolutely. ❦

I found it very useful to be able to use the "die" command in the windowed version rather than having to press CTRL+SHIFT+P to "show" DFHack's console to kill my client, and I have access to opening "Legends Mode" in Adventure Mode to export my files for my world without having to go through DFHack's console to do so. StoneSense and TWaterLvl lets me choose when I want to use it from Adventurer's Journal rather than LNP, and I assume TWaterLvl will allow me to disable and enable it at will without having to relaunch my client—yet another feature that removes my need to leave LNP open.

I have yet to use the "Loot System" and cheats, but based on the description, they make quests much more rewarding, and the cheats will allow me to test certain things out in Adventure Mode that catch my interest as a "God" of sorts—probably to see which gear works best and what skills work best. Since I cannot properly refit anything to my Adventurer (I have no idea how to add reactions, and I think I will have to make a new Adventurer or regenerate my world to get the new reactions to appear), I can give her gear through that method until I build my own fortress in Fortress Mode.

All of the above is why I love your windowed version of Adventurer's Journal so much.
Pages: [1] 2 3