Advanced search  

Poll

How should battle reports be posted?

Main Thread
Partial OpSec 1
Partial OpSec 2
Complete OpSec

Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Wands Race 2: The Great War - Core Thread Turn 2  (Read 4039 times)

evictedSaint

• Bay Watcher
  • if (ANNOYED_W_FANS==true) { KILL_CHAR(rand()); }
    • View Profile
Wands Race 2: The Great War - Core Thread Turn 2
« on: December 25, 2018, 09:34:41 pm »

this is a terrible idea but here we go
Wands Race 2: The Great War

The date is August 1st, 1914.

More than a thousand years ago, magic was discovered to exist.  Despite the fanciful stories of magical miracles from the lost continent of Forenia, the use of magic has waned until the practitioners are little more than party magicians and hedge mages.  Science has since taken the forefront of the public’s imagination and dominated the world. A little more than a month ago, Archduke Franz Ferdinand of Austria, heir to the Austro-Hungarian throne, was killed in Sarajevo along with his wife Duchess Sophie by Bosnian Serb Gavrilo Princip.  War had broken out shortly after – Serbia and Russia one side, and Austria-Hungary and Germany on the other.  As neighboring countries begin to mobilize, both the countries of Abbraccio and Kolubaria sides have grown eager for the chance to take up arms and have themselves prepared for war.  After much lobbying and harassment of government officials, your magical institution has succeeded in creating an experimental Mage Support Company of the Army.  This means your organization now receives government funding for research and development of magical equipment and spells, as well as any other perks that come with being a part of the armed forces.  Work hard, for this is your chance to show the world the might of magic and to alter the course of history! 

Two tiny nations by the name of Kolubaria and Abbraccio bordering the Adriatic Sea go nearly unnoticed in the firestorm of political declarations of War and Neutrality.  The two are relatively new, created in the aftermath of the Franco-Austrian War of 1859.  Despite only existing for 55 years, the two have been subject to numerous border disputes and skirmishes.  The relationship between them could be described as “uncomfortable” at best, and “openly hostile” at worst.

Kolubaria, with close ties to Austria-Hungary, sits on the mountainous countryside just north of the Istria peninsula and next to Abbraccio.  Their capitol of Ljubljana is located in a basin just north of the Dinaric Alps.  Allied with Austria-Hungary and maintains cordial relations with them, despite the larger country putting pressure on Kolubaria to assimilate.
Abbraccio, a liberated province of Italy, is wedged in at the end of the Adriatic Sea between Kolubaria and Italy.  Their capitol of Venice is located on the coastline, west of the arid plains of Friuli-Venezia Giula.  State sovereignty was secured in the Treaty of Villafranca, though the terms included entering into a Military Alliance with France.

It is August of 1914.  Artillery dominates battlefields, and trains are the pinnacle of logistics.  Radios are heavy and largely immobile, and the practice of aviation is only just taking flight.  Stainless steel has only just been invented, though the announcement won’t come for another year.  A stage performer in the United States is drawing small crowds by performing incredible escape acts, though it’s dubious whether he’s even using magic at all.

Kolubaria Main Thread
Abbraccio Main Thread
Discord Link

Spoiler: The Map (click to show/hide)

Rules
Spoiler: Quick Rule Reference (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: How to Win (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Turns (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Dice Rolls (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Design Difficulty (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Magic (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Units and Aces (click to show/hide)
IMPORTANT. PLEASE READ.
Spoiler: Behavior (click to show/hide)

Before we start:
Please vote on how you'd like the battle reports to be displayed.
1) Main Thread - Battle reports will be posted in the main thread.  Equipment lists and unit dispositions will be displayed for both sides to see, though projects will be hidden until completed. Politics, strategy, and events will be posted in each faction's private thread after the battle.
2) Partial OpSec (1) - Battle reports will be posted in the main thread.  Equipment lists will be displayed for both sides to see, though projects and unit dispositions will be hidden until completed.  Politics, strategy, and events will be posted in each factions private thread after the battle.
3) Partial OpSec (2) - Battle reports will be posted in each factions private thread, along with politics, strategy, and events.  Equipment lists and unit dispositions will be hidden from either side, but reports will be otherwise identical.
4) Complete OpSec - Battle results will be posted in each factions private thread, along with politics, strategy, and events.  Equipment lists and unit dispositions will be hidden from either side.  Battle reports will not explicitly say what the other side did or deployed that turn, but rather what the effects were (e.g. "Enemy mages utilized a new spell that caused explosions at long range.  We're not sure how they're managing to do it, but there's no noise or heat involved in the explosion." etc). This type of report will slow down the rate at which the game progresses, as it involves a lot of writing.

Both sides will have four free turns to research designs, perform revisions, and create Load Outs before the start of Turn 1 (i.e. Turns -3, -2, -1, and 0; you will have 5 design and revision phases before the first combat).

« Last Edit: February 09, 2019, 10:41:08 pm by evictedSaint »

Blood_Librarian

• Bay Watcher
  • What is happening?
    • View Profile
Re: Wands Race 2: The Great War - Core Thread (NEW!)
« Reply #1 on: December 25, 2018, 09:43:15 pm »

THE SUN THE SUN THE SUN.

EVERY TEN THOUSAND YEARS, EARTH BURNS. IT DOESNT MATTER HOW, DOESNT MATTER WHY, ONLY THAT THOUSANDS UPON THOUSANDS OF LIVES ARE EXTINGUISHED IN THE PURIFYING FLAME. HOW CAN YOU DENY SUCH A BEAUTY? SUCH A... GRAND... INTOXICATING INNOCENCE. LOOK UPON YOUR WORLD, AND KNOW THAT YOUR CIVILIZATION WAS BUILT ON THE BONES OF THE SLAIN, AND SO IT SHALL ALWAYS BE.

ABBRACCIO
if you want something wacky
Quote from: ChiefWaffles, MAR Discord
I continue to be puzzled by BL's attempts to make Aratam blatantly evil

The_Two_Eternities

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 25, 2018, 09:49:57 pm »

Kolubaria for me.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=177472.0
Roll to Multitask, seeking new players.
Yeah sorry, someone blew up a street in my state and took the internet down for multiple days with it.
This really happened. 2020 was wild.

Chiefwaffles

• Bay Watcher
  • I've been told that waffles are no longer funny.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 25, 2018, 09:52:49 pm »

Joining Abbracio. We may have to start with an asylum for BL.
Quote from: RAM
You should really look to the wilderness for your stealth ideas, it has been doing it much longer than you have after all. Take squids for example, that ink trick works pretty well, and in water too! So you just sneak into the dam upsteam, dump several megatons of distressed squid into it, then break the dam. Boom, you suddenly have enough water-proof stealth for a whole city!

Man of Paper

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 25, 2018, 09:54:44 pm »

GLORY UNTO KOLUBARIA

FallacyofUrist

• Bay Watcher
  • Blatant furry. Also a hypnotist.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 25, 2018, 09:55:05 pm »

I feel like I should post here, for the non-Discord users, to say that I won't be joining this game on either side. The system has gotten so complex that I can't make any contribution or enjoy the game.

Yes, everyone, you get a Fallacy-free Wands Race for Christmas. Isn't that just the best present?

... nobody wants me on their side anyways.
Generic Arms Race.

Would you like to play a game of Mafia? The subforum is always open to new players.

Taricus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 25, 2018, 10:16:19 pm »

GLORY TO KOLUBARIA
Quote from: evictedSaint
We sided with the holocaust for a fucking +1 roll

stabbymcstabstab

• Bay Watcher
  • OW SNAP!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 25, 2018, 10:18:59 pm »

Abbracio, and i second the asylum idea.
Long Live Arst- United Forenia!
"Wanna be a better liberal? Go get shot in the fuckin' face."
Contemplate why we have a sociopathic necrophiliac RAPIST sadomasochist bipolar monster in our ranks, also find some cheese.

Doubloon-Seven

• Bay Watcher
  • You fool. You absolute buffoon.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 25, 2018, 10:21:07 pm »

AVANTI ABBRACIO!

Partial Opsec 1 is good for me.

Avanti!

TheFantasticMsFox

• Bay Watcher
  • Ckk Ckk
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 25, 2018, 10:29:25 pm »

Kolubaria

Opsec 1 is fine by me.

crazyabe

• Bay Watcher
  • I didn't start the fire...Just added the gasoline!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 25, 2018, 10:38:33 pm »

3) Partial OpSec (2)
Quote from: MonkeyMarkMario, 2023
“Don’t quote me.”
nothing here.

NUKE9.13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 25, 2018, 10:40:10 pm »

I guess I'll go with ABC (Abbraccio). As for the opsec, I figure unit dispositions could be figured out under Partial Opsec (1), so to save people the effort I've voted for the Main Thread option.

---

E: I was told to ask this question here, rather than a private channel, to prevent an information imbalance.

@evicted, can spells be of variable strength? For example, could you have a spell that can be used to shoot both small and medium fireballls, depending on the situation?
« Last Edit: December 25, 2018, 11:22:48 pm by NUKE9.13 »
Long Live United Forenia!

evictedSaint

• Bay Watcher
  • if (ANNOYED_W_FANS==true) { KILL_CHAR(rand()); }
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 25, 2018, 11:46:31 pm »

@evicted, can spells be of variable strength? For example, could you have a spell that can be used to shoot both small and medium fireballls, depending on the situation?

Depends on the spell.  It's not inconceivable you can do something like that, if it makes sense. Might require a revision, but it's possible to do so.

Powder Miner

• Bay Watcher
  • this avatar is years irrelevant again oh god oh f-
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 25, 2018, 11:46:48 pm »

Hell, you know what, I’ll throw in for Kolubaria. Gonna s l o v e n e it up

The Ensorceler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 25, 2018, 11:48:23 pm »

Abbraccio Kadabra!
Pages: [1] 2 3