Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 32

Author Topic: Dawnthunder: !!Fun!! with RAWs (succession game)  (Read 95785 times)

scourge728

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dawnthunder: !!Fun!! with RAWs (succession game)
« Reply #135 on: March 22, 2019, 04:13:00 pm »

As I was writing that, a neck got up and mutilated a dwarf
EDIT: Also, somehow a bunch of plump helmet men got trapped in cages on the surface
EDIT2: Also: I've killed this one corpse 6 times and it just keeps getting back up before I can smash it
EDIT3: 7
EDIT4:8, this time it got up and started moving AS I hit the lever
EDIT5: I finally managed to get the stupid thing smashed

Solitarian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: March 23, 2019, 03:02:08 am »

I'm disappointed with the lack of detail in your reports. I barely know what is happening other than dwarves are dying. You seem to not be paying much attention to things. I would be entertained if the fortress were destroyed while under your control if you were clear and descriptive about events, but at the moment I'm somewhat displeased.

scourge728

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: March 23, 2019, 12:07:54 pm »

This isn't the write up, just notes I felt were interesting until I could get the write up ready

Solitarian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: March 23, 2019, 12:09:12 pm »

Oh, ok. In that case, I look forward to the gruesome death of Solitarian!

scourge728

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: March 23, 2019, 03:39:06 pm »

I'll be honest, I didn't take enough screenshots...

So we start out and I noticed we had aluminum, using my powers of !!METAGAMING!! I knew aluminum was tied for second most valuable metal, and so decided we should mine large amounts of it and the rusted metal, but this started my trend of not micromanaging enough for this particular save, as I kept forgetting to designate the rusted metal boulders for melting... I also noticed the magma sea is contained in puddingstone, which using that same magic of !!METAGAMING!! I knew was NOT magma safe, which is PROBABLY not good, but it doesn't seem to be melting so I guess we can just ignore that for now... and then this you know, if we got more military squads we could actually take control of those, maybe some of the weaker goblin civs...
and then some migrants, not much to say about them, but it did lead to me opening the gate to the surface world, which didn't go well..... mostly because in the trend of not micromanaging I didn't activate the inside barrier, later attempts at opening it would go much better however, as I got lucky in that not many undead were on the surface at the time, and the ones that were died to the military.

Thats.... not good...
Also not good.

Well this could be useful

I guess it won't be

We have no cloth, and since I couldn't get yarn cloth, or atleast thought I couldn't, I decided to just kind of wall him in in case he went beserk, which they didn't, she just got a minor case of serious depression.

Also, At some point I noticed the dead grass wasn't a sustainable food source for the livestock we had, and decided to build a box in part of the caverns to house livestock, but it turns out that was also not sustainable, but I didn't notice the decreasing moss until too late, I also forgot to get screenshots of it at the start, so have a screenshot I took at the end of the turn of it being mostly finished, but only the first layer of it because I'm lazy

Note the bridges, that can be raised to prevent things from entering and lowered to allow dwarves to get in/out.

I don't even know how this person died, a trend that continues throughout this turn, along with the trend of me not getting screenshots of important things, like deaths.

At some point most of our military became desensitized to violence, do note that I said most, as that will be important later

I thought that this corpse having a different name from the original was interesting.

Here's that dwarf that got super sad and gave up on life, the universe, and everything.

To celebrate the aluminum and rusted metal, and the cavern reclamation project going so well, and since everything was going great at the time, and I wanted to fix the queen's rooms, I decided to make aluminum statues, and discovered the world had in it, which I didn't know was possible before, and thus thought was interesting

I had managed to open the gate right before this, so wagons did show up, and managed to get all the way to the depot before spooking off a severed arm or something and discombobulating, giving us a bunch of goods, which is good because I doubt we would have been able to buy much with our lack of goods, which the next overseer should remedy using some of that aluminum, because really there's a LOT of it in the caverns. Also: There's another set of goods out in the fields somewhere that can be reclaimed. It was at this point that I decided "hey, we haven't been able to trade, we almost were until they got spooped ON the depot like the filthy cowards they were, so maybe we build a tunnel to prevent that from happening again, AND allow another buffer between us and the filthy undead, which went great for all of about 5 seconds before I totally forgot that was the goal and instead just ended up making it just as vulnerable, but with bridges to protect us more, here's what it looked like finished Also I put some cage traps at the surface, which somehow managed to catch a bunch of plump helmet men that I don't know what to do with.

I tried to make the queen one, and at first I thought you couldn't give this position to the queen, but seeing what happened next, I'm not sure that was the problem.

At the requesting supplies portion of the meeting, I noticed some interesting things such as so I guess not even the rest of the civs have any kind of wood other than cavern wood, and they both appear to be sort of sand, they act like sand in that the game thinks they are and they come in bags, but don't in that at least heinous smoke drops boulders, can't grow crops and can't be gathered in a sand zone, and they have access to all sorts of weird stuff... I requested logs, seeds, iron, pig iron and steel, and they want a bunch of things we can't get them and also scepters, which we can. I wish we could see what an elven civ would trade, given the lack of trees or surface crops

Well thats.... not good... and since the bridges weren't completed at this point I had no choice but to send in the military, who only lost like one dwarf, and a random miner...

I then looked away for a few minutes with the game still running.. and came back to this, in retrospect this was the point in which things began to go wrong, but I thought it was funny at first.... Not knowing what was going on, I saw a giant cave swallow that got itself stuck in an accsess tunnel, and kept trying to exit, and flying itself back into it at the sight of my dwarves, and then decided to and now we have a female one that can lay us delicious eggs to eat as a food source. I was having a good time... until I saw this... and then saw Solitarian, Enemy Post and I were dead, and forgot to get a screenshot of the announcements, and I know you're hoping to hear of some epic battle between Solitarian/Enemy Post and the zombie, but by the time I noticed the announcements had gone away.... and the one for me only mentioned getting a bruise from the zombie, but since it started with my dorf regaining consciousness I think something might have happened before that... and then this jerk showed up, military killed it, the haulers hauled it, it got up, killed another dwarf, it got up, military killed it, it got up, and this kept repeating 8ish times until I managed to atom smash it before it could get back up.... it was really annoying at the time, but probably comical for you guys and gals and attack helicopters... this was made worse because at the time I thought mutilated and mangled were the same thing, and was quite shocked at first when it got back up....

Turns out the constant killing of the same undead dorf caused stress on the new recruits... and then this

I, knowing the military was busy killing undead and not noticing it was made of vomit, decided to close the cavern bridges, sealing us in and that thing out..... along with some dwarves it seems.... the forgotten beast is currently just killing cavern wildlife before vanishing into the unexplored areas, or it was... it might have left.... this gorlak has no capitalization, which I'm not sure is supposed to happen... at this point I finally realized that the new manager wasn't doing their job, and being thoroughly sick of all the ghosts...decided to manually queue up some slabs and then have them engraved, so this happened finally  

BAM I'M FREE FROM THE BLOODY PLACE WOOOO!!!

Here's what the new noble quarters look like.

And the access tunnels.... the goal is for someone to make up/down stairs into the ends of the tunnels, so that they can be opened and closed to let migrants in without opening the main gate... and here's the graveyard... Also, the cavern wall isn't quite finished, and you can slowly start removing the access flooring to the completed parts of the wall, but this will need expanding at some point, as the moss is already being eaten and not replaced... Also also you might want to let the dwarves back into the fort

Here is the save:http://dffd.bay12games.com/file.php?id=14310

Superdorf

• Bay Watcher
  • Soothly we live in mighty years!
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: March 23, 2019, 05:32:25 pm »

...Wow.

It's like one of my single-player forts, but mutated into a war-torn abomination against everything I hold dear. And we're only in the third year.

I am in awe. And horror. Mostly horror.

Vindcara, it's your turn. You are, uh, dead, but in a world this twisted I figure kooky soul-monger resurrection stories work just fine. Or you could pull a distant-cousin story. Or just redorf under a different name. Do as you see fit.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2019, 05:38:48 pm by Superdorf »
Falling angel met the rising ape, and the sound it made was

klonk
tormenting the player is important
Sigtext

scourge728

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: March 23, 2019, 05:52:47 pm »

Yeah.... an unusally high percentage of my casualties were important dwarves, including one soon-tobe who is stuck in the locked off caverns with a child, and ogre and maybe a forgotten beast,

methylatedspirit

• Bay Watcher
  • it/its
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: March 23, 2019, 07:56:49 pm »

Yeah.... an unusally high percentage of my casualties were important dwarves, including one soon-tobe who is stuck in the locked off caverns with a child, and ogre and maybe a forgotten beast,
Ouch. That can't be good for the fort. How many dwarves are left?

Superdorf

• Bay Watcher
  • Soothly we live in mighty years!
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: March 23, 2019, 08:05:08 pm »

Sooo I took a little peek at the save... and I think Daedalus sums the whole thing up pretty nicely.

Atir is a toothless cripple. Wierd's farms are 50-100 z-levels below the seed stockpile, and somebody deconstructed my plot, so the farmers live out their days running up and down our entire staircase carrying individual seeds. Despite this, we have over 750 plants. Chibi is a legendary brewer, but we somehow have no alcohol. The only reason our dwarves haven't died of thirst is because I left a hole in the aquifer for them to get water out of.

I did not build a well over that hole.

Our dwarves are ekeing out their days, sucking moisture out of a sludgehole.

That tantrum I snapshotted? Daedalus didn't hurt anyone. He snapped out of it, because he was thirsty, and clambered up the staircase to go drink from the sludgehole. Scourge's ghost followed him, and is now sitting on his head while he drinks.

I... I don't know whether to laugh or cry-- wait, scratch that.

I'm gonna laugh.

This is hilarious.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2019, 08:13:41 pm by Superdorf »
Falling angel met the rising ape, and the sound it made was

klonk
tormenting the player is important
Sigtext

methylatedspirit

• Bay Watcher
  • it/its
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: March 23, 2019, 08:12:47 pm »

It's confirmed: thirst prevents ghostly possession.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: March 23, 2019, 08:16:05 pm »

The idea was to move fortress life lower down where things were closer to essential equipment or resources... but I ran out of time.  Turns out hollowing out a fucking terrarium is kind of a semi-mega project...

It was a chicken and egg problem too.  You need inexpensive metal and a source of power to set up a liquid dipper minecart system (unless you want to be all buggy with impulse ramps), and you also need power to drive screwpumps to move water up to where it would be more convenient (or assign the whole damn fortress to bucket brigade, but you dont have enough buckets, which need wood, which you need the muddy tiles to get!!)

Inefficient was better than "logistically not feasible".  At the very least, it opens doors to more efficient solutions later by enabling safe materials production and harvesting. (QED, the caverns are not very safe.)

Also, we should have a male and female guinea fowl unless they got killed somehow.  We should be able to expand guinea fowl food production as an option.

Blackchibisan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #146 on: March 24, 2019, 12:51:23 am »

Um... how far down the turn order am I? Cause... I get the feeling I will end up getting handed a Boatmurdered and don't know if I'm excited or horrified at the thought, provided we live that long.

methylatedspirit

• Bay Watcher
  • it/its
    • View Profile
« Reply #147 on: March 24, 2019, 01:35:39 am »

I took a look at the work orders in the save:

What. Checking the conditions:

Questionable decision at best, job cancellation spam at worst.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #148 on: March 24, 2019, 01:38:49 am »

Unless you assign metal objects for melting other than boulders, it should be fine.  Just spamtastic. (which may explain the "I did not notice when..." instances)

scourge728

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #149 on: March 24, 2019, 01:46:26 am »

Actually, those weren't spamming me at all, the problems I had was it trying to fill the cage traps near the end of my turn, since there weren't cages and it decided to not stop spamming me about it
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 32