Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 17 18 [19] 20 21 ... 32

Author Topic: Dawnthunder: !!Fun!! with RAWs (succession game)  (Read 93894 times)

Superdorf

• Bay Watcher
  • Soothly we live in mighty years!
    • View Profile
Re: Dawnthunder: !!Fun!! with RAWs (succession game)
« Reply #270 on: May 17, 2019, 02:07:04 pm »

So I've got good news and bad news.

The good news is: with this new power cord, I can finally overclock my CPU while the computer's plugged in! I can play Dwarf Fortress
faster and longer than ever before!

The bad news is... well...

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

I don't think I can do this.

The undead have been multiplying down in the caverns for seven years now. They've become a CPU-killing abomination that even our legendary military would be hard-pressed to kill. The only solution, I suspect, is magma, and I don't have the engineering know-how to pull off such a thing.

I'm going to bow out, I think, and let the next overseer have his due. Wierd, are you up for playing ahead of schedule?
Falling angel met the rising ape, and the sound it made was

klonk
tormenting the player is important
Sigtext

Solitarian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #271 on: May 17, 2019, 02:32:27 pm »

Use DFhack to drown them in lava or something. I think that's acceptable given that they are making the game unplayable.

NordicNooob

• Bay Watcher
  • *Not actually Nordic
    • View Profile
« Reply #272 on: May 17, 2019, 06:23:22 pm »

Just get a minecart full of magma, pitch it in the caverns, and let it all burn down!

bloop_bleep

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #273 on: May 18, 2019, 12:53:36 am »

with this new power cord, I can finally overclock my CPU while the computer's plugged in! I can play Dwarf Fortress
faster and longer than ever before!

Main bottleneck in Dwarf Fortress is RAM access speed, not CPU speed, what with the several thousand tiles and all.

And pls no DFHack. 6 FPS is still probably somewhat playable, and dwarven problems require dwarven solutions!
Quote from: KittyTac
The closest thing Bay12 has to a flamewar is an argument over philosophy that slowly transitioned to an argument about quantum mechanics.
Quote from: thefriendlyhacker
The trick is to only make predictions semi-seriously.  That way, I don't have a 98% failure rate. I have a 98% sarcasm rate.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #274 on: May 18, 2019, 06:29:52 am »

I think I can get a minecart system running.  The spore-tree/farm system I installed last time was designed to also function as a waterwheel power plant. Assuming sufficient trees are there now, I can install waterwheels, which can drive rollers, which can drive a minecart system. This will let us place magma or water anywhere we damn well want, assuming we have magma-safe mechanisms and carts.

I suppose I can start my turn early.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #275 on: May 18, 2019, 07:12:34 am »

OK, I remember reading from prior overseers that we dont have cloth, thread, or the like-- and that is why people are getting sutured with adamantine fibers. This is absurd, and I will fix it.

Investigation of undead indicates that they are clustered around the intake for the sluiceway. This is.. unfortunate. It means that the undead might try to come in when I install the waterwheel system.

I note that we lack seeds for many important crops, or so says the q menu for farm plots. Are you guys just not processing things, or what?

(checks stocks screen. 239 pig tails, 97 dimple cups)

Honestly, you guys just did not make a farmer's workshop, and have raw material just laying around. WTF. We can even have pretty BLUE cloth, to better help with the mass psychosis going around, and we never did it? ....

OK, Here's the initial plan:

Build that power plant.
Make automated milling stations, make raw dye.
Vertical integrated clothing system. (By golly, I am gonna make those farm plots you guys have been ignoring next to the spore tree system actually useful, and you will LIKE it.)
Make "local" housing unit for cloth industry workers.
Establish a burrow for cloth industry workers
Attempt construction of minecart network.
(abuse minecart network to get rid of undead? (circular track, with no trackstop, powered by rollers. It has several carts fully loaded with garbage boulders running on it. At one end of the track, is a breach into the caverns. At the other, is an unobstructed (but sealable!) path into the fortress. Zombies wander in, and get splattered.))

I think the existing mine exploratory network will do well for the minecart masher. 1000+ undeads in the caverns... honestly kids, what were you thinking letting that pile up like that?

Orders issued. No carpenters or woodcutters. (rolls eyes) some farmers got promoted.

[one in-game week goes by]

Oh look, goblin invaders. Oh well. Let the surface handle them. I'm busy.

[another in-game week goes by]

Look at all the X and XX clothing we have.  Into the atom smasher it goes. Hopefully this will help with the FPS issue a bit. (Yes, I think it should! More than 3/4 of our clothing is all full of holes, and needs disposal. Thats several hundred items I just manually assigned dumping operations on.)

[1-24-1057]
Litast Tulonabal withdraws from society and claims a craftsdwarf workshop.
[1-30-1057]
He produces a lignite puzzle box
« Last Edit: May 18, 2019, 10:04:01 am by wierd »

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #276 on: May 18, 2019, 11:14:36 am »

OK.

The sheer size of the dead units list is bothering me.  Can I clean it with DFHack?

Pretty please?

Superdorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #277 on: May 18, 2019, 12:09:43 pm »

Probably. What'll change if you do that?

klonk
Sigtext

scourge728

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #278 on: May 18, 2019, 12:43:28 pm »

honestly kids, what were you thinking letting that pile up like that?
Personally, I was thinking "there are multiple forgotten beasts in there, and every time I kill an undead it ends up with more dwarves dying so maybe we just leave them to it, maybe the two problems will solve themselves" but I guess it just kept getting worse

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #279 on: May 18, 2019, 08:29:04 pm »

Probably. What'll change if you do that?

nothing game breaking, it's mostly cosmetic.  It will reduce the size of the creature vector, which will have a small (but beneficial) effect on fortress FPS. it will also make it less absurd to look at.

(I play df out of a ramdisk because it groans hard when I try to run it from the ssd for some reason, so I have the save backed up in a clean state where I stopped last night)

Ok-- controlled testing shows that it is INDEED the epic number of undead that is killing the FPS.  I used exterminate to remove them on a test fork of the save. Went from 6fps to 40+fps instantly.
Don't let the undead ruin your fortress kids.  Zombie smasher is a top priority it seems. (If I can endure slogging at 6fps while trying to get the power plant running)

« Last Edit: May 18, 2019, 09:09:34 pm by wierd »

Superdorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #280 on: May 18, 2019, 09:17:33 pm »

Well, we kinda need all the FPS boosts we can get, and this one doesn't change much of anything else. Go for it.

klonk
Sigtext

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #281 on: May 18, 2019, 11:21:59 pm »

Very good.  Dead unit list has been cropped back pretty good after fix/dead-units run. :P Dropped about 1000 dead creatures off.

Any restriction on sorting the unit list?

Superdorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #282 on: May 19, 2019, 12:09:08 am »

Sorting the unit list? How do you mean?

klonk
Sigtext

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #283 on: May 19, 2019, 01:06:46 am »

dfhack has scripts that re-order the unit list based on some user supplied criteria, such as "by name" "Age", "occupation" etc.

Instead of all the dwarves just being in the list in whatever order, it will put them in the order specified.

https://dfhack.readthedocs.io/en/stable/docs/Plugins.html#sort-units

It does not DO anything to the units, just sorts their order in the list

Superdorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #284 on: May 19, 2019, 02:22:57 am »

...Huh. Alright then. If you like.

klonk
Sigtext
Pages: 1 ... 17 18 [19] 20 21 ... 32