Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 26 27 [28] 29 30 ... 32

Author Topic: Dawnthunder: !!Fun!! with RAWs (succession game)  (Read 95206 times)

nezclaw

• Bay Watcher
  • i should really migrate my saves...
    • View Profile
Re: Dawnthunder: !!Fun!! with RAWs (succession game)
« Reply #405 on: August 02, 2019, 01:49:27 pm »

any updates?
Dawnthunder: It menaces with spikes of tetanus
After the fire had burned down all of the wooden next boxes on the surface, Mottled Petrel was reluctant to replace them with more wooden nest boxes. Instead, he placed the remaining store of wooden nest boxes in the dormitory for any aspiring koopa mothers.

The nest boxes were immediately overrun by helmet snakes.

nezclaw

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #406 on: August 11, 2019, 01:18:11 am »

i'd still like to take an official turn, if the fortress hasn't fallen.
After the fire had burned down all of the wooden next boxes on the surface, Mottled Petrel was reluctant to replace them with more wooden nest boxes. Instead, he placed the remaining store of wooden nest boxes in the dormitory for any aspiring koopa mothers.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #407 on: August 11, 2019, 02:41:01 am »

Go ahead and take the last official save. I am down with that.

Lately I have been rather preoccupied with other things. (I bought a fancy wide format printer, that UPS fucking dropped in shipping, and I have been chasing ghosts getting it working for the past 2 weeks.)

nezclaw

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #408 on: August 12, 2019, 03:24:43 pm »

"Who's running the fortress this year?" Zefon asked. The other dwarves looked at each other. None of them put their hands up. Dawnthunder had a long history of mismanagement, contradictory orders, and general !!Fun!!. No one wanted to be the latest overseer.
"What about that Temptedwheel kid?" Shorast asked. "She recently came of age, right? Couldn't do a worse job than some of the overseers we've had... What's she going by these days?"
"Nezclaw," Methyl supplied. Queen Mosus nodded.
"Then let it be done."
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Nezclaw looked up as the senior dwarves approached.
"Congratulations, kid, you're the overseer this year," Methyl announced as he handed her an extremely battered folder.
"M-me??" she asked, licking her lips nervously. "But I don't know how to run a fortress!"
"Consider it a rite of passage, then," Methyl said, not unkindly. "You grew up here after all, you probably have a good idea of how things run,"
"I guess..." Nezclaw said.
"Besides, you'll have us to help." Zefon promised. Nezclaw nodded.
"Okay."

"Why do we have so many animals?" Nezclaw asked as she surveyed the pasture. Mosus shrugged.
"I'm not entirely sure..."
"Uh, shouldn't we butcher some of them? Maybe get some variety in our meals? And uh, oh, we should have some hammerdwarves nearby..."
"I shall order it done." Mosus promised. "Though I am still waiting on that large gem I requested."
"Thank you, my queen..." Nezclaw murmured. "I shall get right on it."

"Put an animal stockpile there... and a food stockpile there, and there..."
"Ma'am, we have a siege approaching!" Solitarian alerted her.
"What?? It's only the second of Granite!" she exclaimed, panicked.
"It's okay, don't worry. The gates are up, and we have the traphalls, remember? They just need to be opened to the outside."
"Right.. right... uh.. someone get the first two access bridges hooked up to the individual levers, and then breach the surface."

nezclaw

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #409 on: August 12, 2019, 04:19:41 pm »

It took a few days for the surface to be breached. She considered calling it off as the goblins moved past the fortress, but the grand magma plan required iron for the pump components and the only source of iron was the goblins. In the meantime, she took up bone carving. The slaughter she had ordered was underway, and she had a number of pots to practice decorating.
A piercing whistle called everyone into the fortress as the surface was breached. Due to the traphalls only being partially filled with traps, only the first two access bridges were raised.
The dwarves watched as the goblins sensed the weakness in their defenses and turned back... only to be met by a couple of undead giant chipmunks.
"Maybe they'll do our job for us, eh?" she heard someone laugh.

"One can only hope," someone else replied.

"Say, Nezclaw... I have an idea," Shorast the Mechanic spoke thoughtfully.

"Heheheheheheheheh...."

"Better pull the traplocks too."
"Mmhmm... and now the access bridges..."

"And the hammerdwarves will take care of the rest of them," she says confidently. "Better get those bodies dumped quick before they rise again." The fortress defended, she heads back to her bone carving.

Superdorf

• Bay Watcher
  • Soothly we live in mighty years!
    • View Profile
« Reply #410 on: August 12, 2019, 05:03:14 pm »

That... is not how I expected my traphall to be used.  :o

Ah well. I'm just glad it came in handy for something after all!
Falling angel met the rising ape, and the sound it made was

klonk
tormenting the player is important
Sigtext

nezclaw

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #411 on: August 12, 2019, 07:57:01 pm »

Smashy smashy!

NordicNooob

• Bay Watcher
  • *Not actually Nordic
    • View Profile
« Reply #412 on: August 12, 2019, 08:52:14 pm »

Wait, I just realized. Super, why the bloody heck did you hook up the trap hall to the single most important room in the fortress?

Nice way to start a turn though. Buy one turn as overseer and get a siege free!

Superdorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #413 on: August 12, 2019, 08:58:31 pm »

Wot, that lever room there? That just hooks up to all those bridges over the traphall. Everything else has levers elsewhere.
...of course that staircase then drops straight down to the dining hall, so yeah... not ideal...  ::)

klonk
Sigtext

NordicNooob

• Bay Watcher
  • *Not actually Nordic
    • View Profile
« Reply #414 on: August 12, 2019, 09:20:48 pm »

Okay, so only the most important levers during a siege are vulnerable during a siege. That's fine.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #415 on: August 12, 2019, 11:24:26 pm »

At least it wasnt a 200+ unit siege like the last one...

nezclaw

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #416 on: August 13, 2019, 02:09:51 pm »

and since there was an unforbidden pile of trade goods outside the bridges are now coated in vomit as is DF tradition. unless i'm allowed to adjust their adaptation levels with dfhack? since there's no way otherwise to acclimate them and i'd rather not lose the hammerlords to that while everyone's trying to grab meltables.

[edit] also, weird, i don't think you've requested a dorfing, but would you be okay if i named the mechanic after you anyway in honor of your contributions to dwarven efficiency?
« Last Edit: August 13, 2019, 02:40:14 pm by nezclaw »

Superdorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #417 on: August 13, 2019, 02:59:59 pm »

If we're dorfing weird, we should make him a Lithotech agent of some kind. It'd be only right.  :D

klonk
Sigtext

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #418 on: August 13, 2019, 03:13:46 pm »

LOL, OK. Lithotech customer support liaison it is!

nezclaw

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #419 on: August 13, 2019, 06:26:35 pm »

It is done!

She worked on her bone carving with shaking hands, feeling slightly queasy. She had heard that Reg Baldeler had fallen to a goblin zombie before the Hammers could strike it down again.
"Nezclaw? The meat is rotting in the butchery." Dingus reported. Nezclaw put her face in her hands.
"We're out of food space? I thought I designated more stockpiles?" she asked.
"Well, uh, it's full."
"Full of what?"
"Plump helmets. We had a bumper crop this year and, well..."
"We have over five and a half thousand plump helmets. I have eaten nothing but plump helmets. I have drank nothing but dwarven wine. WHY DO WE HAVE SO MANY PLUMP HELMETS. EVERYONE IS SICK OF THEM."
"Would you like me, perhaps, to go collect some plants from the tree farm?" Asmel asked, twirling his hammer. Nezclaw nodded.
"Yes, please. I think that would definitely help improve morale... and maybe set up a couple of those millstones by the power plant?" she asked hopefully.
"I reckon that can be done," Shorast said. "We could also make a couple hives for mead, if you think that would help."
"Yes, tell the stonecrafters to do that immediately, please? Build another workshop if you need to, there should be room upstairs.. And uh, dump the rotten meat and shut the door to the butchery."
"Well, there's a pile of wool in the way..."
"Nnggh... then dump that! Or build a wall in front of the door to block the miasma!!"

"Migrants? We've got migrants??" Nezclaw's voice was hopeful.
"If they can make it through the undead outside..." Methyl mused.
"Take your best dwarves and go make sure they do."
"Sure thing, ma'am."

[i forgot to get a screencap of the new arrivals oops. we got a potter ::) , an armorer of higher level than our current one, a peasant, a siege engineer  ::) a jeweler, a butcher, a soap maker, and a spinner]

Pages: 1 ... 26 27 [28] 29 30 ... 32