Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 70 71 [72] 73 74 ... 109

Author Topic: Smallhands - nearly 40 years and still tiny!  (Read 409434 times)

Paaaad

• Bay Watcher
  • Mainly a lurker unfortunetley.
    • View Profile
Re: Smallhands - it's like a tiny home but filled with ghouls
« Reply #1065 on: May 15, 2021, 09:37:50 pm »

Just a thought, but the dwarves aren't trying to dump the prisoners clothes, are they?
Unity! Duty! Destiny!

Does the walker chose the path, or the path the walker?

Radiofort

• Bay Watcher
  • Wibbly Wobbly Timey Wimey
    • View Profile
« Reply #1066 on: May 15, 2021, 10:54:39 pm »

Perhaps because their cages are marked for melting?
I'm pretty sure that's the point, as beards will drop cage's content before melting even if it's melt-designed by itself. To dispose of inhabited cages, use the garbage dump with atom smasher.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2021, 10:59:06 pm by Radiofort »
There is never enough of green glass.

QuQuasar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1067 on: May 17, 2021, 05:00:33 am »

Several dwarves, including the overseer who had been laughing maniacally ever since the news of Ducim's death had been brought to her, stood at the entrance to the ghoulification chamber. Ducim's mutilated corpse has been moved into position, waiting for the shutters to open and expose him to the chained necromancer.

Hahahahahahah!

Help the dead? Is that how I justified it to myself? Did coming back ever help me? No. No, I should be honest, at least with myself. Bringing them back isn't about helping them. It's about power. Specifically, mine.

Hee hee hee. I get to choose if Ducim lives on as a ghoul, or passes on to the afterlife. No one else. Not the former overseers. Not Ikud, the blind demon. Not even The Wicked, god of death, murder and peace. Me, Quasar, the lich queen of Smallhands.

I... I love it. This uncontested, unholy power of life and death, that no mortal should have... it combines with the hate, the suffering, the terrible emotions I can't help but feel. It becomes something new, something powerful. It flows though my shivelled dead veins, burning like a fine wine. It's... intoxicating! Addictive!

This is it! This is the reason I came back! Power over life and death! It doesn't matter that I'm merely borrowing it from that necromancer! He obeys me, he is mine, which means his power is mine also!

Kubuk, my love... I'm sorry, but it's time for me to say goodbye. Dastot, your memories are not needed any more. I've found my reason to persist. My reason to live.

I am 'Quasar', the supreme uncontested ruler of Smallhands! Me! Aaaaaahahahahaha! My whims are law and it matters not heroes or kings, none shall defy me!

TREMBLE AND OBEY BEFORE YOUR GREAT AND TERRIBLE CORPSE EMPRESS!

OBEY ME! OBEY MEEEE!

The shutters come down. Kol Kabobok looked up, hate in his eyes as he glared balefully at his captors darting out of the room to peek through the door, then down and at the corpse directly in front of him.

At the very front of the crowd a dessicated corpse, one of Kol's own creations, was giggling and twitching strangely. One of his lesser works, if Kol was being honest. Something had obviously gone wrong with that one.

The forlorn ghoul met Kol's eyes and held her hand out with the thumb extended sideways, and the dwarves behind her fell silent. The meaning of her gesture was apparent. The fate of the corpse rested on a single hand gesture. Kol felt offended. A mere ghoul, a defective one at that, dared to command him? The pitiful thing owed it's very existence to him in the first place. The more he thought about it, the madder he got.

Quasar turned her fist, raising her shrivelled thumb to the sky and grinning wildly.

Kol looked the corpse empress in the eyes, and then, with a defiant smirk, made a sweeping gesture at all before him.

As soon as the corpse stood up and turned it's hungry, mindless eyes towards the dwarves, letting out a groan, it was apparent that something was wrong.

"What? You... you DARE?! Disobedient scum! Unfaithful traitor! I'LL KILL YOU!!!"

The others grabbed Quasar and pulled her back as the mindless corpse of Ducim rushed wildly towards them. The cage trap triggered, putting bars around the zombie before it could reach the dwarves.

Kol... how dare he? HOW DARE HE DEFY ME! My power is absolute! Absolute, I say! He cannot defy me! He can't, it's impossible! He-

... the legion speaks... the blind eyes see... the dead yet live...

AAAAARGH!

the secrets want to be known...

Ow ow ow, fuck! What's going on? What's... oh no. No no no. The necromancer, he did something, didn't he...

behind the magma... learn the truth

Shit! Fuck! He's in my head! I... I need to tell someone! I-

they will betray you... shouldn't tell anyone...

... no. No, wait, I need to think rationally about this. I don't need them! I still have power, I'm still in control! It's my mind. They'd only betray me. Yeah.

stay silent... stay safe... bide..

Yeah. I'll bide my time. I'll...

this is a good idea...

This is a good idea.

What do you mean you let the goblins out because you were trying to melt the cages? Haha that's ridiculous! You're all fucking idiots.

... burn them all...

For Armok's sake, just melt the cages with the goblins still in them! It'll add character to the metal!

... no, wait, actually, on second thought, that'd be gross. Don't want to get goblin in our zinc. Just... for fucks sake, stop melting the cages for now. We'll deal with the prisoners later. For now, everybody get back to dumping shoes.

burn them...

Actually, fuck it. I'm done taking shit to the trade depot. Throw everything in the incinerator! BURN IT ALL! HAHAHAHA! OBEY ME YOU FOOLS!

drain the magma... learn their secrets...

There's something I don't understand. Why was there magma under the glass furnaces? Nobody every explained to me why a maintenance shaft for the water reactor would be full of magma. Why? What are they hiding? Are they defying their empress? Have they been suborned by the necromancers?! It makes no sense! Hahahahaha! Nothing that happens in this fortress makes any goddamn sense!!!

drain the magma... reveal the truth...

But I can't drain the magma, there's nowhere to drain it to! The evaporation chamber I made for the revification chamber isn't nearly big enough. Hmm... what to do?

drain the magma...

I just said I can't!

... then grab a pick you stupid woman.

Yes... yes, dig. Exploratory mining. Find out... find out what's down there... I'm glad I thought of it... yes... Hahahahaha! AAaaHahahaHAAHaHahahahaH!!!

« Last Edit: May 17, 2021, 05:04:05 am by QuQuasar »

recon1o6

• Bay Watcher
  • Developing a race, explosive booze and death traps
    • View Profile
« Reply #1068 on: May 17, 2021, 06:28:44 am »

Oh no, she's going to the slabs. At least Nogood the undying is there to stop her  :P perhaps. maybe.

ngl at first I thought she was going to find the overseer bone leggings. Though I can't discount that (Recon at least hid it very well) it seems WeevilMessiah, god of Thralldom and its champion the blind demon are making their next move against smallhands

Still, if the undead can feel emotions, that means they can feel afraid
Urist McRecon cancels make exploding booze: Interrupted by bad idea
Urist McRecon cancels bad idea: missing raw files
Urist McRecon cancels add raw files: Interrupted by fortress mode
Urist McRecon cancels play fortress mode: Needs exploding booze
Urist McRecon cancels acquire exploding booze: No materials

Spriggans

• Bay Watcher
  • Mushrooms eater
    • View Profile
« Reply #1069 on: May 17, 2021, 09:01:09 am »

Uh ho... Shit's about to get real !
* grabs popcorn *
[ETHIC:MURDERING_DWARVES:UNTHINKABLE]
[ETHIC:CUTTING_TREES:REQUIRED]
[ETHIC:USING_EXPLOITS:JUSTIFIED_IF_GOOD_REASON]

Radiofort

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1070 on: May 17, 2021, 10:30:44 am »

This... will not gonna end well, for sure. Though I personally don't think studying Black Arts will ruin Smallhands in terms of in-game events, I must remark that dwarf necromancers don't drink yet still alcohol-dependant. And if we'll combine eternal soberity with swamp fever, we are risking to receive extremely slow dwarfs. Mind it, please.

A bit of related offtopic: a few days ago I tried to roleplay in adventure mode a Quasar's covert operative who learned necromancy from slabs and was sent on suicidal mission to weaken Dimplesteal and assassinate Ikud the blind demon. By Armok's socks, it was a distillated pain. Dimplesteal is a damn clusterfuck of trenches & towers in a middle of goo swamps (it's raining everywhere here) and is so crowded that I thought my old laptop will take a fire trying to deal with FPS. It took me fourty minutes to crawl through it and reach Ikud, who sits like a fucking boss in the highest tower of his fortress, and FPS won't gets better then. Moreover, this guy is REALLY nasty. He hurls fireballs and punches like Shang Tsung, and he tears through zombie army like a chainsaw through toddler. I tried a few times, and every time were squashed in a few turns. And yes, he do have an artifact ring on his finger.

This guy is, basically, balrog, Sauron and Saruman in one person. Sadly, I don't think we'll be able to deal with him that way. Though I had an idea of luring him away from Dimplesteal to the northern mountains and carbonize in ice at night, this will require a lot of pure luck and patience. And a couple of RL weeks, probably.

On the other hand, I'm sure if he would be stupid enough to attack Smallhands in person, he'll be downed swiftly by our soldiers.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2021, 12:04:56 pm by Radiofort »

recon1o6

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1071 on: May 17, 2021, 11:26:07 am »

Snip

I already thought he sounded like an evil overlord or final boss material. By Armok, he's got the entire works, one ring and all, sitting in a citadel of suffering where the very skies corrupt whatever they rain on and with a monstrous army bent on conquering the world.

Radiofort

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1072 on: May 17, 2021, 09:49:20 pm »

By Armok, he's got the entire works, one ring and all, sitting in a citadel of suffering where the very skies corrupt whatever they rain on and with a monstrous army bent on conquering the world.
Not to mention that he's a fire demon who chased dwarfs out of Khazad-dûm Doorended.

I have a strong urge to cut the artifact ring off his finger and toss it into volcano (conveniently, we do have one in a northwestern desert).

Speeeeeaking of whiiiiiiich... there must be a vault somewhere in the world (probably under Dimplesteal) where the slab with a contract between Ikud and WeevilMessiah is stored. And wiki says these slabs aren't always magma-proof, as they're not artifacts in terms of mechanics. I'm not sure if one necromancer will be able to reach it, but a group of necromancers (a lord and a squad of hearthpersons)? Still not sure, but maybe... just maybe...

...Gonna try it anyway.

edit: I checked the legends and it's written we actually launched a multiple atttacks on that vault in the early years, when Moldath the commander was still alive. Though Moldath wasn't able to claim a slab, his army made quite a mess out of place and managed to slay a lot of angels. Maybe it's time to finish what he started?

Oh, and also a funny unrelated !!SCIENCE!! fact: mindless zombies raised in adventure mode can work as builders in a camp development, while forlorn ghouls can't (or don't want to, I'm not sure, but whatever). No wonder them necros are building their towers so easily.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2021, 11:42:18 pm by Radiofort »

recon1o6

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1073 on: May 18, 2021, 02:38:04 am »

By Armok, he's got the entire works, one ring and all, sitting in a citadel of suffering where the very skies corrupt whatever they rain on and with a monstrous army bent on conquering the world.
Not to mention that he's a fire demon who chased dwarfs out of Khazad-dûm Doorended.

I have a strong urge to cut the artifact ring off his finger and toss it into volcano (conveniently, we do have one in a northwestern desert).

Speeeeeaking of whiiiiiiich... there must be a vault somewhere in the world (probably under Dimplesteal) where the slab with a contract between Ikud and WeevilMessiah is stored. And wiki says these slabs aren't always magma-proof, as they're not artifacts in terms of mechanics. I'm not sure if one necromancer will be able to reach it, but a group of necromancers (a lord and a squad of hearthpersons)? Still not sure, but maybe... just maybe...

...Gonna try it anyway.

edit: I checked the legends and it's written we actually launched a multiple atttacks on that vault in the early years, when Moldath the commander was still alive. Though Moldath wasn't able to claim a slab, his army made quite a mess out of place and managed to slay a lot of angels. Maybe it's time to finish what he started?

Oh, and also a funny unrelated !!SCIENCE!! fact: mindless zombies raised in adventure mode can work as builders in a camp development, while forlorn ghouls can't (or don't want to, I'm not sure, but whatever). No wonder them necros are building their towers so easily.

guess what? four days ago I discovered that when i poked in legends and in fort mode. and yes we can raid the slab, i know where it is. I had been planning to raid it.

I was hoping to keep it a surprise but it looks like its out in the open now :P

it will be another chapter in Smallhands' journey to throw off the god weevilmessiah's influence
« Last Edit: May 18, 2021, 02:39:47 am by recon1o6 »

Laterigrade

• Bay Watcher
  • Is that a crab with
    • View Profile
« Reply #1074 on: May 18, 2021, 02:52:09 am »

I heard before about insanity treatment, so called "Amontillado method", but when I asked Recon about Amontillado she answered that we don't brew that stuff here. Sadly, you can't have everything in one fortress.
I know I’m late, but this is absolutely brilliant.
and the quadriplegic toothless vampire killed me effortlessly after that
bool IsARealBoy = false
dropping clothes to pick up armor and then dropping armor to pick up clothes like some sort of cyclical forever-striptease
if a year passes, add one to age; social experiment

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1075 on: May 18, 2021, 02:55:45 am »

The madness is spreading and I'm hype for it to happen!
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

auzewasright

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1076 on: May 18, 2021, 05:52:19 am »

...Gonna try it anyway.

guess what? four days ago I discovered that when i poked in legends and in fort mode. and yes we can raid the slab, i know where it is. I had been planning to raid it.

I was hoping to keep it a surprise but it looks like its out in the open now :P

it will be another chapter in Smallhands' journey to throw off the god weevilmessiah's influence
Yeah, I tried to get that slab back in 158, almost exactly an IRL year ago:
Summer and autumn so far don't see to be that eventful, other than my sending the Rainbow Raptors to steal the slab which the demon who controls the goblins is connected to. Not sure if that was a good idea.

Addendum: They didn't manage to grab the slab, but they did manage to take no casualties.

On a fun note, all of the beds just starting disintegrating
By the way, it (my name) is pronounced "ah-zee".

QuQuasar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1077 on: May 18, 2021, 06:40:00 am »

Dumping of shoes and corpses continued under the overseers order, but the overseer herself didn't seem to be around. The self-styled corpse empress had vanished, but her orders yet stood. Dump the mittens, kill the kittens, burn the corpses. Not difficult, just time consuming.

Nobody thought to dump the rotten cheese, but by now the dwarves of Smallhands had become accustomed to horrific smells in the halls, and nobody wanted to touch the cheesepile for fear it might go for the throat if they disturbed it.

The dumping process was not without it's casualties...

... and Elpho regained her faculties enough to fill out the paperwork needed to re-register as a citizen of the Smallhands...

... but for the most part, the fortress of Smallhands functioned uneventfully without it's overseer present. Winter passed. A herd of terrified giant capybara passed by outside, oblivious to the industriousness happening within.

Elpho learned a new trick.

Morul's stress continued to rise, while Urist, the forlorn ghoul surgeon, slowly forgot his, passing below the threshold of tantrums...

A train of dwarves continued to carry a string of clothing items up to the trade depot.

And eventually, the first signs of spring started to appear in the wastelands above Smallhands.

reveal their secrets... take the power... save the fortress...

Hehehehahahahahaha... yes, it's under here... just a bit further...

"Enough, Dastot. Stop," Recon stepped into the poorly dug tunnel, where Quasar's pick was just was mining out the back of a carved wall. Several other former overseers and citizens joined her. "We knew you were down here. It's the 28th of Obsidian. It's time for you to surrender the overseership."

"Hahahahah, I knew it! It's a plot!" said Quasar, clutching the pick to her emaciated chest. "A scheme! A machination, a subterfuge and an intrigue of cabals. You're defying me, that's what you're doing! You're all defying your immortal empress! How dare... how dare y..."

Quasar stopped, giggling and gasping raspily for air. Her eyes seemed wild, unfocused, and she was visibly trembling.

"Alright, that's enough! I told you to stop! Put down the pick!" Recon said aggressively.

"I don't think that's necessary," another dwarf stepped past her and gently lifted the pick from Quasar's trembling hands. Rather than trying to hold onto it, the dead dwarf burst into laughter, rolling around on the floor, before abruptly sitting up, clutching at the nearest dwarf, who stepped back.

"You.. you don't understand... the blind eyes... they scream at me... the gibberish... it meant something..."

"Come on. Let's get you back out of this tunnel."

"... the necromancer knew... he knew... Radiofort, you're so fucking happy... none of you understand... we need it, the power, we need it... please don't stop being happy, Radiofort... don't become like me..."

"What's going on here?" asked Recon. "Why isn't she resisting us anymore? Is she sober?"

One of the dwarves in the rear interjected. "Sounds like babbling ta' me. Proper madness, that is. Didn't know ghouls could go insane, but I guess the stress can catch up with anyone eventually. Even the dead."

"Hahahahah... Recon... you, Recon, you're going to die last, Recon... dying a little bit more every day in your little dyers workshop... hee hee hee funny joke... She's coming, Recon... the real queen... She told me, in my mind... She's coming for you, Recon... She's coming for all of you... ha ha ha..."

"If she's finally gone properly stark raving mad, there's nothing to be done about it. We'll take her back to the crafting floor and let her run about until she... oh. Wait..."

"hee hee hee... can't die, already dead... just like you... just like Smallhands... ha ha ha..."

"Well, whatever. Let her run. She's harmless now, at least."

Gruffly and firmly, but not entirely without compassion, several of the dwarves helped Dastot to her feet, her head lolling aimlessly this way and that as she continued muttering gibberish to herself.

"It's weird, she's actually smiling again. I don't think I've seen her smile since... well, you know. D'you... d'you think she's happy right now?"

"Pfff, do I think a maddwarf's happy? An' a ghoul at that? How the hell should I know?"

"Yeah, right. Sorry, 'm speaking nonsense. But she's been through a lot. I... I just hope she's not suffering anymore."

"Yeah, I hope so too."

OOC: And that's that!

A few notes worth noting:

1. There is a quantum stockpile of shoes, mittens and other garbage right next to the trade depot. You can unforbid it and trade it all away to get rid of it and, presumably, free up some CPU cycles. I didn't get all of them, but I got many. I undumped the remainder and turned everyone's hauling duties back on so as to not make it impossible for the next person to dump specific items.

I meant to also move the garbage dump over to the incinerator, but I forgot. It's still by the trade depot.

2. Everyone's equipment orders are set to "over clothes" once again. Maybe you'll have better luck than I did, or maybe this'll just make the 'Pickup Equipment' epidemic even worse. Regardless, it's not my problem anymore. Have fun with this fortress' comical lack of hauling capacity.

3. Morul, (who, incidentally, is Nezclaw's wife), is probably doomed. Nervous wreck is a heck of a trait. If it gets too bad, ghoulify her before she starts toppling workshops and ruining all my carefully laid work orders.

To murder a dwarf, put them in the drowning chamber, then pull the black lever twice and the red lever once. I'm sure you can work it out.

Finally: 'Quasar' is running about babbling on the craftsfloor. I never saw her on any other floor, so I think she'll be safe without being locked up. And if not, well... so be it. Dastot's earned her rest.

Save file can be found Here.

« Last Edit: May 18, 2021, 06:50:10 am by QuQuasar »

recon1o6

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1078 on: May 18, 2021, 08:25:13 am »

The Tavern Keeper's thoughts 1st Granite 175

A philisophical human once asked what could change the nature of a sentient being. The optimists suggest "hope". Pessimists suggest "regret". A relatively grounded human I met back at the mountain homes said "belief" and his dwarven companion "time which ye dun have 'ny of ya half wit"

Were it any other member of smallhands, they would have offered death. Except Auze, who mentioned "perspective" as in the kind from the bottom of a barrel (of booze)

Dastot cackled and asked me as she was being hauled out. I didn't follow even as the other dwarves left to resume their tasks. Sharpening my axe blade on my platinum flask, surprised at not needing to use it, I thought long and hard

Admiring my own craftsdwarfship, I lifted the axe to exam it by the magma light, I finally found my own answer and smiled. An evil, wicked smile that caused the slabs theselves to howl in fury as I left, their freedom denied and their master shorn of a puppet.

What can change the nature of a sentient being, alive or dead, god or mortal?

Consequences

save obtained, will start soon

Radiofort

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1079 on: May 18, 2021, 08:31:48 am »

I must admit that was goddamn awesome - tragedy, comedy and elegia, all in one masterfully minced turn. Thank you, QuQuasar!

Yet I still think it's not everything lost for Dastot... probably.

Good luck (again), Recon! Show that blind fucker!
« Last Edit: May 18, 2021, 08:35:12 am by Radiofort »
Pages: 1 ... 70 71 [72] 73 74 ... 109