Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Odd obsidian aquifier  (Read 960 times)

Ant

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Odd obsidian aquifier
« on: February 19, 2020, 08:05:07 am »

Diamondspiraled is a little odd place. But particularily odd is the underlake obsidian layer (beneath ordinary sedimentary layers) that has slow aquifier, something that bothers me a little.

Spoiler: lake (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: -2z (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: -3z (click to show/hide)

@Ant
What's on 6z, if you were to dig stairs through the obsidian?

This is quote from Moss not growing thread during which I initally noticed the anomaly. Disclaimer- I have modded scales and chitin to be useable, nothing more. World was initially created in 47.01. I've checked RAWs and noticed no alterations pertaining to obsidian, and no other oddities that would make suspect compromised RAWs exist... I've also put the layers into correct order for this post, something I mucked up in the other thread. And the layers above aren't obsidian as I initially suspected, so it shouldn't be lake effect. These tunnels have now been around for a game year or so.

Anyone have an idea what this is about? I've no channels nor other "ways" for water to leak into the chamber, and the dig cancelled due damp when first found.

nogoodnames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Odd obsidian aquifier
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2020, 08:52:43 am »

Water can leak in from the ceiling if there's an aquifer tile above it, so that's probably what's happening.
Life is, in a word, volcanoes.
                        - Random human lord

Ant

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2020, 10:56:42 am »

Water can leak in from the ceiling if there's an aquifer tile above it, so that's probably what's happening.

Ohh, so that's a thing now? Cool! Might be that it has always been so but I just haven't noticed, with old fast aquifiers.

Superdorf

• Bay Watcher
  • Soothly we live in mighty years!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2020, 11:08:59 am »

Yeah, that's always been a thing. Many a young fortress has perished, digging about just underneath the aquifer layer!
Falling angel met the rising ape, and the sound it made was

klonk
tormenting the player is important
Sigtext

Trabber Shir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2020, 12:43:16 pm »

Thank you for explaining this. I am still on 0.44.12 but this is the piece of the puzzle I have been missing while trying to expand into the aquifer on my current fort.