Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Should we mod in Platinum blunt weapons and armour?

Yay!
- 0 (0%)
Nay!
- 0 (0%)
Maybe... (Please elaborate in a post)
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 0

Voting closed: May 25, 2020, 03:39:38 am

Pages: 1 ... 16 17 [18] 19 20 ... 24

Author Topic: Smithsoldier, Year 12: Clothes, Madness, and Beasts (And Candy) [47.04]  (Read 58293 times)

Quantum Drop

• Bay Watcher
  • Deep Sixed.
    • View Profile
Re: Smithsoldier Year 10: Armok Watches Us [47.04]
« Reply #255 on: June 08, 2020, 03:33:24 pm »

Had a look through the thread and legends: Itatmostod and Kastirdug are both gone for certain. The rest of them probably haven't been stolen yet, but an inventory check of the Temple of Jewels is probably in order.

EDIT: Also, something rather amusing: I forgot that caged beasts got let loose when you retire/unretire a fort, so when I unretired a copy of Smithsoldier, I promptly found that Ettin we caught running around in the housing area. Cue the Ettin getting beaten to death by ~30 civilian Dwarves.

EDIT2 (Unretired Ver):Wait what why is our Baron a Necromancer.
EDIT3 (Unretired Ver):Oh god he got to the corpse stockpile and just rezzed the fething Ettin.
« Last Edit: June 10, 2020, 02:59:53 am by Quantum Drop »
I am ambushed by humans, and for a change, they do not drop dead immediately. I bash the master with my ladle, and he is propelled away. While in mid-air, he dies of old age.

recon1o6

• Bay Watcher
  • Developing a race, explosive booze and death traps
    • View Profile
« Reply #256 on: June 10, 2020, 03:47:18 am »

Is it not possible to acquire back the artifacts via raids? and our baron aa necromancer? I knew our nobles weren't up to anything good! They never are!
Hang on...i thought the nobility were expelled/executed in a previus reign
Urist McRecon cancels make exploding booze: Interrupted by bad idea
Urist McRecon cancels bad idea: missing raw files
Urist McRecon cancels add raw files: Interrupted by fortress mode
Urist McRecon cancels play fortress mode: Needs exploding booze
Urist McRecon cancels acquire exploding booze: No materials

Quantum Drop

• Bay Watcher
  • Deep Sixed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #257 on: June 10, 2020, 04:26:40 am »

Is it not possible to acquire back the artifacts via raids? and our baron aa necromancer? I knew our nobles weren't up to anything good! They never are!
Hang on...i thought the nobility were expelled/executed in a previus reign
Yeah, they were expelled. Seems the King, Baron, and the other Mooks showed up in my save after the fort was retired, then unretired - they should still be gone in the main timeline. Legends says he began going necro in 56, learned the secrets from a slab named Supperdates in 59.

As for Artefacts, I think we have to find out where they've gone first. I tried sending out a few retrieve missions to Pits without any info on where the Artefacts may be, and they came back empty. No text, no reports of clashes, nothing.
I am ambushed by humans, and for a change, they do not drop dead immediately. I bash the master with my ladle, and he is propelled away. While in mid-air, he dies of old age.

DwarvenLord

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry for being here, my time machine broke.
    • View Profile
« Reply #258 on: June 10, 2020, 08:44:25 am »

Sorry, haven't really been following along- did someone retire and unretire the main save?
EDIT: Nevermind, should of just read.
« Last Edit: June 10, 2020, 08:47:08 am by DwarvenLord »
And thus was the dwarven meatshield invented.
the child should serve well in the infantry (that is a horrible pun, and I already regret saying it).

Quantum Drop

• Bay Watcher
  • Deep Sixed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #259 on: June 10, 2020, 10:07:52 am »

Sorry, haven't really been following along- did someone retire and unretire the main save?
EDIT: Nevermind, should of just read.
No problem. In hindsight, derailing the thread with the whole 'unretired copy' thing may have been a poor idea.

ProjectXMark1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #260 on: June 10, 2020, 03:41:27 pm »

Yeah, DwarvenLord, I have the main save and not QD, but I do have a copy (still retired) that I used to get the XML dumps for Legends Viewer.

Ok, here's the rest of autumn.

---

Journal of Rîsen 'XMark' Swallowclasp, 6th Sandstone 184

Events are already unfolding differently from my previous experience: nine new faces arrived today.

I have brought forward many of the plans that I made during the "missing week", namely the justice system and flooring the gatehouse.

Spoiler: Prison work (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Gate work (click to show/hide)

I also noticed another hole in our fortress' security; a wall was missing in the dumping shaft, leaving our fortress open to the caverns. This has been rectified. Any flying or climbing creature could have got in and wreaked who-knows-what havoc.

10th Sandstone 184

Got on with trading with the dwarven caravan today (as Arm_Ok wills, I shall not make offerings to his majesty to bring him here). Traded many foreign pikes for waterskins, and then a few fine weapons, and some steel boots and iron gauntlets, for plenty of instruments for the temples (as before). A steel hammer and another pair of gauntlets gained the fortress plenty of bags and clothing.

15th Sandstone 184
This transpired yesterday.

Logem Likotcucuggán, Dwarven Child withdraws from society...

And today,

Logem Likotcuggán has claimed a Craftsdwarf's Workshop.

I'm looking forward to whatever it is they end up making.

The papermaker, as I foresaw, threw a tantrum today. Thankfully, nothing seemed to come of it.

In other news, progress on the Temple has caught up with its previous. I have also laid plans for a vault to house our artifacts. The corridor leading it it is longer than necessary, but any way of delaying an escaping thief is welcome. Orders also went out to begin excavating the ancillary halls of the Temple (again); the prisoner storage, pitting room, et cetera.

Spoiler: State of the Temple (click to show/hide)

17th Sandstone 184

The new prison is in a suitable state to start accepting criminals. I have appointed our first (and, at present, only) law enforcement officer, as captain of the Smithsguard: Sazir Gébarsåkzul.

Spoiler: Prison (click to show/hide)

He has a list of offenders, and is already preparing to make arrests.

The work on the upper levels is largely complete. Several old staircases have been rationalised, and the main staircase has been extended upwards as a new access route for the inner farms. The only thing impeding the work is the persistent backlog of siege detritus.

Spoiler: Gate works completed (click to show/hide)

1st Timber 184

Sandstone, in spite of half of the month happening twice, has been a productive time for Smithsoldier.

The hospital has been given a few tables, in case the medical staff need to operate on patients.

A woodworker's guild formed last month, and they recently put in a request for a guildhall. I opted to make use of some more empty space on the workshop level, and then took the time to re-organise the paths through the south-east of the workshop level.

Spoiler: Southeastern works (click to show/hide)

The Temple to Arm_Ok's ancillary halls are being excavated even as I write. The vault chambers are also in the process of being constructed.

6th Timber 184

Logen Likotcuggán has begun a mysterious construction!

About time! Maybe they were having trouble with the hauling...

Also, orders went out recently to begin producing display cases for the vault.

7th Timber 184

More roars and noises from the caverns today. Whatever it is, we're not going to be able to finish the Temple while it's still prowling the caverns. The military sure as anything isn't in good enough fighting shape to take it on. Well, maybe Esme could, but I'm not risking our best soldier on this beast. That, and I've not looked over the documents regarding cavern access yet.

10th Timber 184

Nice work! He'll make a fine stonecrafter.

17th Timber 184

We seem to be experiencing a bout of poor morale. Given that everyone's been seeing way too many corpses decomposing outside the gates, I think the goblin corpse situation needs to be resolved. Immediately. Every single dead goblin and troll that I can find is going to the atom smasher. If we can clean up the nearly literal mountain of corpses, I think we'll all be in better spirits.

20th Timber 184

Our senior miners reported that they hadn't heard from one of their crew - Tholtig - in several days, and found him stuck in the Temple's magma feeding channel. I gave them permission to dig some stairs to recover him.

Also, Kol, the papermaker, lost it again. If he makes trouble he's going to be calming down chained up in a cell.

22nd Timber 184

We've made progress on investigating the thefts. A dwarf by the name of Kulet, a traitor named by Arm_Ok, already in prison for violating a production order, confessed to his role in the theft of The Image of Insights. He made mention of accomplices, and I have given Sazir orders to interview him in connection with the other thefts in the fortress.

I, myself, having reported the theft of Quietbrutal, have offered to give him any information that I possess.

1st Moonstone 184

The latter part of autumn has been quiet, and I've been occupied with quiet tasks. I finished assigning areas for all of the temples today, for one.

The adamantine survey has been left for now. It's too much of a pain to babysit, and I have other matters to attend to in the fortress. I did contemplate setting up some small living arrangements in the works to keep mitigate this, but I don't think any of us could keep away from good food at this point.

The vault has had some display cases installed and some ropes for guard animals have been placed in the antechamber. Many of the fortress' most valuable treasures have already found their places in the vault, and hopefully many more will be kept there, safe and sound. I will make a note to find a place to set up some kennels...

Now that all other major construction projects have been completed, I sent out orders for the Temple arena to be dug down another z-level. With any luck, we can get the arena down to the caverns before the year is done.

Spoiler: Down we go! (click to show/hide)

Here's to a quiet and productive winter!

This is certified to be the true account of
╔═════╗
║RÎSEN║
║MOZIB║
║DODÓK║
╚═════╝

---

Barring any large unforeseen events (like another siege, or a megabeast or similar attacking), the next post I make will be the last, and take us all the way to the start of 185. I've dwarfed Recon and redwarfed QD (as a novice speardwarf, but it was that or nothing). DwarvenLord, is there anything in particular that I should do with your IG dwarf now that your turn is coming up?

Might I make a suggestion, Quantum? Links to the our reports in the OP might make a recap a little more accessible.

Quantum Drop

• Bay Watcher
  • Deep Sixed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #261 on: June 10, 2020, 04:47:11 pm »

Excellent work. Smashing the Gobbo corpses should definitely help with morale. Just make sure to strip as many as you can, first, for the sake of the Goblinite we can get. Also, is anyone showing the 'getting used to tragedy' thing or similar?

Speaking of Gobbos, how're the traps outside the main entrance doing? Expanding them may help, considering the weakened state of the military and the size of the sieges. Additionally, perhaps either you or DL could experiment with live training on the Gobbos until the military rebuilds?

Could just be me being sleepy and not fully getting it, but I must ask you to elaborate on/clarify your suggestion about linking reports.

ProjectXMark1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #262 on: June 10, 2020, 04:59:01 pm »

Excellent work. Smashing the Gobbo corpses should definitely help with morale. Just make sure to strip as many as you can, first, for the sake of the Goblinite we can get. Also, is anyone showing the 'getting used to tragedy' thing or similar?

Speaking of Gobbos, how're the traps outside the main entrance doing? Expanding them may help, considering the weakened state of the military and the size of the sieges. Additionally, perhaps either you or DL could experiment with live training on the Gobbos until the military rebuilds?

Could just be me being sleepy and not fully getting it, but I must ask you to elaborate on/clarify your suggestion about linking reports.

I mean something like what The Museum does for its turnlist.

We're also drowning in goblinite already, and how exactly do you strip a corpse? The traps have been holding up fairly well. I am tempted to build a few more cage traps, now that you suggest it.

We don't really have anywhere that's safe for live training, but the military we do have should become a hard core in no time now that I've got all the squads active (rather than just sitting around like they were for most the the year).

Quantum Drop

• Bay Watcher
  • Deep Sixed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #263 on: June 11, 2020, 05:12:45 am »

I mean something like what The Museum does for its turnlist.

We're also drowning in goblinite already, and how exactly do you strip a corpse? The traps have been holding up fairly well. I am tempted to build a few more cage traps, now that you suggest it.

We don't really have anywhere that's safe for live training, but the military we do have should become a hard core in no time now that I've got all the squads active (rather than just sitting around like they were for most the the year).

I'll see what I can do with the turnlist and attached summaries. As for stripping a corpse, IIRC you do it like this:
  • Designate a garbage dump (maybe near the corpses, maybe elsewhere)
  • Use d-b-f then d-b-d to forbid everything they're carrying and set them for mass dumping. If necessary, un-designate the corpse's dump order.
  • The items should end up in the garbage dump. Once done, press d-b-c to claim all the clothing, armour, etc. now in the dump.

I think that's how you do it, anyway. Was thinking it could give us some clothing for the Dwarves, or extra trade goods if we need them at any point.

Good to hear that the squads will be training again.

recon1o6

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #264 on: June 11, 2020, 08:26:00 am »

On the Overseer's office table is a *goblin leather parchment sheet* All craftsdwarfship is of the highest quality. It menaces with spikes of ink.

On the sheet is an image of goblins. The Goblins are screaming. The goblins are dying.
On the sheet is an image of 2 trapdoors. The second trap door is falling.
On the sheet is an image of goblinite coins. The goblinite is standing on the Trap door. The goblinite is falling. The goblinite is striking down the goblins

IE
what about using smelting the goblinite as projectile coins? We could extend the entrance a bit and pop a garbage disposal at the top of a tower set to coins only, at the bottom of the tower is the trap door, the trap door can then be opened and we drop the items onto the goblins

coins are deadly projectiles

LeftHandofGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Within the Shadow's Grasp
    • View Profile
« Reply #265 on: June 11, 2020, 08:29:43 am »

I mean, couldn't we just make like spikes and stuff? Seems like a waste of good goblinite to me.

recon1o6

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #266 on: June 11, 2020, 08:33:09 am »

Actually yes, something I was thinking of doing in my term if it comes around- make a long winding entrance tunnel for the gobbos to enter if they want in that's 1 tile wide and snaking across a 4 Z level pit.
At the end of the tunnel are 3 ballistas. The path has weapon traps, the pit below, spike traps.

It will use up a load of that mountain of stone we have

We can use a side entrance in order to strip the corpses for more goblinite
Also do we have a statue garden?

If not we could repurpose the goblinite into metal furniture to admire. Commemorate our brave fighters in iron perhaps. Goblinite sometimes has gold and silver with it
« Last Edit: June 11, 2020, 08:52:00 am by recon1o6 »

StrikaAmaru

• Bay Watcher
  • [GMT+2][forum time +8]
    • View Profile
« Reply #267 on: June 11, 2020, 02:04:28 pm »

I'll see what I can do with the turnlist and attached summaries. As for stripping a corpse, IIRC you do it like this:
  • Designate a garbage dump (maybe near the corpses, maybe elsewhere)
  • Use d-b-f then d-b-d to forbid everything they're carrying and set them for mass dumping. If necessary, un-designate the corpse's dump order.
  • The items should end up in the garbage dump. Once done, press d-b-c to claim all the clothing, armour, etc. now in the dump.

I think that's how you do it, anyway. Was thinking it could give us some clothing for the Dwarves, or extra trade goods if we need them at any point.

Good to hear that the squads will be training again.
Um, akhsuallyy....

The list above is for the steps to be taken for stripping caged *living* prisoners; or cage contents in general. Between steps 2 and 3, you'd also need to un-dump the cages (I prefer using the {z} menu), otherwise dwarves will happily haul the entire cage to the dump area, without touching anything inside.

Corpses automatically drop all inventory at death - including things like arrows & weapons stuck in the corpse. So for the pile of dead goblins, no more extra steps are needed. All their gear should remain where it is, except for pieces dwarves will choose for themselves.
Needs caffeine to get through the working day.
[Sigtext. Contains links to mods, LPs and an index of all the things I wrote on this forum. Does not contain a viable sig. http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=49316.msg6860463#msg6860463]

Quantum Drop

• Bay Watcher
  • Deep Sixed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #268 on: June 11, 2020, 02:23:13 pm »

Oh. Well, I stand corrected. Thanks for pointing that out.

DwarvenLord

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry for being here, my time machine broke.
    • View Profile
« Reply #269 on: June 14, 2020, 01:23:12 pm »

DwarvenLord, is there anything in particular that I should do with your IG dwarf now that your turn is coming up?
No, not really. I'll deal with it.
And thus was the dwarven meatshield invented.
the child should serve well in the infantry (that is a horrible pun, and I already regret saying it).
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 [18] 19 20 ... 24