Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 263

Author Topic: Museum III, adventure succession game (DF 0.47.05)  (Read 409957 times)

bloop_bleep

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The Museum III: Adventure mode succession game
« Reply #45 on: March 24, 2020, 01:03:47 am »

PTW and sign me up!  :D
Quote from: KittyTac
The closest thing Bay12 has to a flamewar is an argument over philosophy that slowly transitioned to an argument about quantum mechanics.
Quote from: thefriendlyhacker
The trick is to only make predictions semi-seriously.  That way, I don't have a 98% failure rate. I have a 98% sarcasm rate.

Bralbaard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: March 24, 2020, 06:39:08 am »

Ionmatrix, can you upload the save in the next 24 hours? It's possible to finish writing the story later. You can also retire your character for later use if you sign up again

Imic

• Bay Watcher
  • Still sad
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: March 25, 2020, 07:32:46 am »

The seven day limit’s up, I don’t think he’s going to post.
Imic's no longer allowed to vote.
Quote from: smyttysmyth
Well aren't you cheery
Quote cabinet
Regrets every choice he made and makes, including writing this here.

Bralbaard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: March 25, 2020, 07:34:37 am »

Yes, I have already send 9Joseph9 a PM.

I've never been able to duplicate the strangeness with artifacts and item scattering that occured in my game by the way. We will continue as if nothing happened.

Imic

• Bay Watcher
  • Still sad
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: March 25, 2020, 08:07:11 am »

Any progress on item spread in abandoned Forts?
Well aren't you cheery
Quote cabinet

Emilovich

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: March 25, 2020, 02:16:35 pm »

Seems that Joseph hasn't been online here for two weeks, but let's see if he replies

Bralbaard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: March 25, 2020, 02:22:04 pm »

Let's wait three days from my previous post?

Tasoth

• Bay Watcher
  • Death to the surface dwellers!
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: March 25, 2020, 04:29:01 pm »

Sorry I’ve not said much. Thing’s have gone a bit topsy-turvy where I live, went from being a store worker to “essential personnel” in the span of a day.  None of that matters though; I’ve just read through the thread and holy. SHIT.  This world has so much going on in it, I can hardly wait to take a crack at it myself.  I plan to download the save later today so I can peer through the history and get a bit more context for this world seemingly on the edge.
Urist McHero, legendary axedwarf, has been scuttled.
A thread started regarding honoring the dearly departed Wagon. A hard working individual that was cut down, after centuries of work, by a simple bridge malfunction. Somehow we started off with reverance before shortly delving into science, philosophy, and even language itself.

Yarlig

• Bay Watcher
  • High Master Procrastinator
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: March 26, 2020, 04:13:57 pm »

First time posting' hello there!
I've been waiting for this ever since I read all the previous chapters a few years after the story ended: we're gonna have a trilogy! Sign me up please' an epic is being made here.

Luckyowl

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • https://imgur.com/a/Bjjtz.png
« Reply #54 on: March 28, 2020, 12:55:25 am »

I agree, There are a lot interesting artifacts with interesting backgrounds. Some humorous, some heroic, and others downhearted. I can't  wait to see what's in store for our treasure hunters. I

EDIT: kind of have an outline of my  character's  background and how  they got entangled with the  treasure hunting business, but it's  really vauge as of now, since I have to wait 15 weeks for it to be my turn.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2020, 01:02:18 am by Luckyowl »

Bralbaard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: March 28, 2020, 05:39:01 am »

First time posting' hello there!
I've been waiting for this ever since I read all the previous chapters a few years after the story ended: we're gonna have a trilogy! Sign me up please' an epic is being made here.

Welcome to the forum, I' ve added you to the list!

Bralbaard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: March 28, 2020, 05:47:32 am »

No response from 9joseph9. We'll skip him. Imic is up next.
Any progress on item spread in abandoned Forts?

There should be a dfhack command "Lair",  that fixes that, at least that worked in previous versions. I think you run the command before abandoning.

This might not even be needed if you retire instead of abandoning

Imic

• Bay Watcher
  • Still sad
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: March 28, 2020, 06:18:50 am »

Right. I’m eating breakfast right now but I have virtually nothing else on, so I’ll begin shortly.
Well aren't you cheery
Quote cabinet

Imic

• Bay Watcher
  • Still sad
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: March 28, 2020, 11:59:18 am »

I apologise for it taking this long, but I have the save now. I'm going to play as a Moth man if they're available, for a laugh.
Well aren't you cheery
Quote cabinet

Imic

• Bay Watcher
  • Still sad
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: March 28, 2020, 06:36:05 pm »

You're in the Keep of Boltspumpkin, clothes still dripping from the rain. It's well after nightfall, and outside, the hills and woods are dark. There's no-one else here besides an exhausted-looking Dwarf sweeping the floor angrily, if such a thing is possible. After you walk around for a few minutes, you come across a stack of codices and scrolls in a tucked-away corner; these aren't museum pieces, these are the journals of those brave souls who often went to hell and back to bring the museum pieces here or died trying. You pick one up at random. a thick, battered codex bound with leather and covered with cuts, scratches, and stains. On the cover, written in dark ink, is the name 'Imic Egeshalu'. You open it, and begin to read.

Music

9th of Slate, 700.
This is the journal of Imic Egeshalu, Heatherwind, a Moth Man from the east. I got this quire and pen from a passing trader, and I kept it for some time before I decided to start writing. I've lived my life in the Village of Dikebored in the Steppes of Urging, ever since I left the Invisible forest, years and years ago. Since then, I've worked as a hunter. I never managed to get the hang of bows or even crosssbows though, and in the end I found I was more comfortable throwing my blades. I've never been truly comfortable here, however. Every day, I've wanted to wander beyond the fields. The steppe disappears in every direction, until the hills rise up in the north and the east, and those hills have taunted me for years. I want to see mountains, I want to see the lost realm of the Dwarves, I want to walk in the forests again. The world is wide and open, and ever since I heard of Boltspumpkin and the Museum within, I've contemplated leaving. So that's what I'm going to do. I'm going to leave, I'm going to see what I can see, and I'm going to find something to give to the Museum. If you find this journal, wherever it may lie, I am likely dead, and if you can, I ask that you bring it to the museum. It's not fit to be a museum piece, but perhaps the story will be enough for them to keep it around somewhere anyway. I sit now in my home in Dikebored, my things gathered, and the closed door taunting me, hiding the wide world beyond it. If I'm still alive when I rest this evening, I will write again. I go now into the unknown. If this is to be my last entry, goodbye.

Imic closed the book and put it into his backpack, along with the pen and a bottle of ink. As he stood up, he used two of his four arms to stretch, and the other two to scratch his back. He picked up his cloak and stuck it on, followed by his hood.

He gave his last goodbyes to his roommates, before opening the door and stepping outside.

Outside the door, the sky was clear above and the sun was low in the east. There was a cool breeze blowing in from the west, and the waning crescent moon could be seen directly above, outlined with blue in the daylight. The house was made with logs, and thatched with the long steppe grasses. a lettuce patch was planted around the front garden. The green steppe stretched in in every direction, broken only by those distant, taunting hills in the north and east. After he left, he wandered around the village aimlessly and in silence for some time, before he found himself turning right at the statue of Ngoso Thiefclasped at the crossroads, and heading down the road towards the other statue, of Ihhi Strayednest.

He walked up to it. There was a divination die here, that he and the other villagers used occasionally. He gave it a roll.

He smiled, suddenly, and gave a small laugh. The naysayer's folly. He put the die back down, and adjusted the straps on his backpack. He thought for a while, as he began to eye up the cardinal directions. East was filled with old forests, the north was filled with Goblins and old Kingdoms. The south had little besides Goblins and eventually, the tundra of Heroes. The west held Boltspumpkin, it held the old realm of the Dwarves, it held Kingdoms old and new, it held the lands where Humans now sought to reclaim their old Hamlets, ans it held mountains. He put one foot in front of the other, and began on the road. A few people ran past chasing another group, one of them screaming his name. They disappeared behind him. It didn't matter to Imic. The problems of Dikebored wouldn't be his until some distant day when he might return, if he didn't die. It made him feel a little twinge of guilt for running off, but it wasn't enough to overpower his wanderlust. The road faded behind him, and soon the Village disappeared behind the horizon. He was free.

He walked for some time. He passed through a few villages through the midday, and each time he would find the occasional ruined or abandoned house standing out against the rest. There was a tension in the air. People looked at each other with wary eyes. As he passed through one such village, he came to a fork in the river. He stopped for a little bit, to take in the bubbling brook, when something stirred behind him. The sound of feet on grass turned into a Man introducing themselves, and then screaming in fury. Imic turned around, and a swordswoman stood there. Her voice was different from the one he had heard previously.

Imic stood dazed for a second, not processing this. A second too long.

As he desperately dodged her constant blows, his cloak flew up to reveal two massive papery wings, which began to beat. He would not be able to run away from this.

It was starting to look like he wouldn't be able to fly away from this either.

Each time he prepared for flight, she dragged him back to the earth. Soon, his legs couldn't hold him up. His hand was mangled. His wings were the only things keeping him going. He had thought that this would have hurt more.

He gave one last beat of his wings. His ichor coated her as she grabbed him again. With one last beat, he tried desperately to get away.

He hung there, limp in the air, ichor trailing down to the grass beneath. His legs hung uselessly below him.

Hiding his overwhelming fear, with the hands that could still move, he took his copper arrows out of his backpack, and threw.

The first strike hit her. He threw another, but she jumped away. He threw another.

Yet another arrow flew, as she jumped away. He could see vomit on the ground around her. She hit the next arrow away with her sword.

She did not do so again for the next one. As yet another arrow flew, she rolled away from it.

She didn't make it much further.

Imic landed, and hit the ground with a thud. His breath was laboured and slow. He closed his eyes, and gave a sigh of relief, as he finally allowed himself to relax. As he stared at the cold, unseeing eyes of the Human lying in a growing pool of her own blood, he felt sick, and scared, and horrified. Slowly, the pain came to him in full force, and he simply lay there for a long, long time, before he finally gained the strength to drag himself over to his abandoned trousers and his bloody arrows. Then he saw her. Another human. Eyes set to kill. He beat his wings faster than he ever had before, and watched as the other human ran away.

He lowered himself to the ground and took a look at the Swordswoman's corpse. She had no belongings on her besides her sword. He left everything he hadn’t already picked up, and as quick as he could, he dragged himself away, away from the Village, away from the other Human, away from the corpse's dead, cold eyes.

9th of Slate, 700, late evening.

I got into a fight today with a Human. They started with punches, but they kept mangling me until I was forced to fly and use my arrows. I crawled away in the end. Part of me says that she didn't intent to kill me, but I have too many scars now for that to be true. By the end of it, I couldn't use my legs and I could barely use my wings. I still haven't gotten the ichor out of my clothing, it remains as a constant reminder of what happened.

After I made it out of the Village where I ran into her, I fiollowed the river north. I ran into a pack of boars, and I took one down for dinner. The river froze over even as I butchered it, and the snow came down soon after. I found a suitably shady tree, and here I am now. there isn't much more to say. I set off to the north-west in the morning. The hills grow ever taller in the distance.

He put the book, pen, and ink back in the backpack, and shut it, placing it beneath the tree and beyond the touch of the snow. Finally, he himself lay down in the embrace of the tree behind him, and he slowly drifted off to sleep, the crackling of the fire a gentle lullaby to his tired ears.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: March 28, 2020, 07:12:25 pm by Imic »
Well aren't you cheery
Quote cabinet
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 263