Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 63 64 [65] 66 67 ... 263

Author Topic: Museum III, adventure succession game (DF 0.47.05)  (Read 410009 times)

Yarlig

• Bay Watcher
  • High Master Procrastinator
    • View Profile
Re: Museum III, adventure succession game
« Reply #960 on: June 21, 2021, 06:05:36 pm »

Well first things first' this was a brilliant turn. It's good to see dwarves on the rise again' and with a certain angry bear out there' we might witness a major demographic shift soon. However' as much as I don't want to sour the success of the new mountainhome' it seems that the Championvault - Crownhall rivalry has been rendered irrelevant by royal will:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
But at least Kadol' Obok and Olin have a nice place to live and raise families now' all safe and sound.

• The human civlilzation known as The Armoured Confederacy seems to have quietly died out somewhere along the line; it'll be interesting to see if their presumably-extant remnants somehow pull a Staff of Kissing and come back to life.

This civ actually went away with some bloodshed; they used to have a single fief whose sole inhabitant was a goblin Lady. In 770 she fell victim to Iden Bloodinked's rampage that claimed the lives of many other civilized' assimilated goblins. Armoured Confederacy's court (mostly human I think) is still chilling in a different hamlet somewhere though. Unfortunately' they're unlikely to come back; from what I understand a civ needs populated fiefs to be considered alive (some dead civs have rulers and courts - cf The Empire of Babies in this very world) which equals being able to conduct any meaningful action (and by meaningful I mean 'other than appointing nobles'). Dwarves' for fort mode purposes' can generate a site and a populace out of thin air even if dead (in some cases at least). However' AI is unlikely to have such luxuries.

I'm also pretty sure what happened to Erith is likewise Glloyd's doing' as he was the last to visit Coveredashes. Didn't expect such a turn of events' but it does give me some ideas now.

As for other interesting tidbits from the legends' remember that NGN's Leto had a son? It seems the lad' Rakfil Stockadefarm' has himself married one Anir Bulbtips. She was orphaned at age 11' both her parents' companions of Fidale Umberrazors' being ripped to shreds by a weremammoth ghoul in Scarletbronze. Seems like we have a very interesting family forming.
« Last Edit: June 22, 2021, 07:17:20 am by Yarlig »

Imic

• Bay Watcher
  • Still sad
    • View Profile
« Reply #961 on: June 21, 2021, 06:16:03 pm »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
The ungratefu- I spent two days just making sure that the bloody throne room was fit to his majesty’s standards, and then he runs off to Treatyseed the day I retire the Fort, I-

Heavy breathing

... off topic question, purely theoretical inquiry, I promise it’s for a friend, would I get in trouble if I were to commit a very small, very slight bit of regicide in my next turn?
Imic's no longer allowed to vote.
Quote from: smyttysmyth
Well aren't you cheery
Quote cabinet
Regrets every choice he made and makes, including writing this here.

Glloyd

• Bay Watcher
  • Against the Tide
    • View Profile
« Reply #962 on: June 21, 2021, 06:27:58 pm »

• The human civlilzation known as The Armoured Confederacy seems to have quietly died out somewhere along the line; it'll be interesting to see if their presumably-extant remnants somehow pull a Staff of Kissing and come back to life.

This civ actually went away with some bloodshed; they used to have a single fief whose sole inhabitant was a goblin Lady. In 770 she fell victim to Iden Bloodinked's rampage that claimed the lives of many other civilized' assimilated goblins. Armoured Confederacy's court (mostly human I think) is still chilling in a different hamlet somewhere though. Unfortunately' they're unlikely to come back; from what I understand a civ needs populated fiefs to be considered alive (some dead civs have rulers and courts - cf The Empire of Babies in this very world) which equals being able to conduct any meaningful action (and by meaningful I mean 'other than appointing nobles'). Dwarves' for fort mode purposes' can generate a site and a populace out of thin air even if dead (in some cases at least). However' AI is unlikely to have such luxuries.

I'm also pretty sure what happened to Erith is likewise Glloyd's doing' as he was the last to visit Coveredashes. Didn't expect such a turn of events' but it does give me some ideas now.

That reminds me I need to post the rest of my turn. Iden cut a swathe through the goblin towns in that area, seems fitting for him to end a human civilization controlled by goblins. As for Erith, I'll post the rest of my turn later this week once I'm back at my computer to clear that bit up.

As for other interesting tidbits from the legends' remember that NGN's Leto had a son? It seems the lad' Rakfil Stockadefarm' has himself married one Anir Bulbtips. She was orphaned at age 11' both her parents' companions of Fidale Umberrazors' being ripped to shreds by a weremammoth ghoul in Scarletbronze. Seems like we have a very interesting family forming.

A weremammoth in Scarletbronze? So one of Raki's victims then? If so, that's hilarious. Small world.
« Last Edit: June 21, 2021, 06:32:20 pm by Glloyd »

Lurker Z

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #963 on: June 21, 2021, 10:30:56 pm »

The ungratefu- I spent two days just making sure that the bloody throne room was fit to his majesty’s standards, and then he runs off to Treatyseed the day I retire the Fort, I-

Heavy breathing

... off topic question, purely theoretical inquiry, I promise it’s for a friend, would I get in trouble if I were to commit a very small, very slight bit of regicide in my next turn?
My char had been pondering regicide, but he at least had the excuse of getting rid of dark creatures/goblins. But between the Apocalypse Bear, the Weremammoth-cursers, the necromancers bringing back the undead and those spreading vampirism for fun, a regicide or ten probably wouldn't bat an eye.

As for the reclamations, they've been happening to all civs, before Oddom was ganked. My headcanon (because I have no idea how a 21st century AI made by one person could do something so complex) is that there was some unwritten truce with Oddom somewhere after the very, very bloody wars in the 4th century. At the end of the 7th century, Oddom started abandoning en masse, and in the 8th century most of the civs started reclaiming, also en masse.

So I figure it would've happened with or without adventurer intervention, since the en masse abandoning of Oddom happened before 700 i.e. before adventurers were a thing.
Sigtext updated 13-03-2024.

Quantum Drop

• Bay Watcher
  • Deep Sixed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #964 on: June 22, 2021, 03:47:36 am »

Heavy breathing

Nobles meet with unfortunate accidents all the time. I doubt there would be many raised eyebrows if the king was to trip, tumble down a few flights of stairs (tragically hitting his head on every step), before standing back up, punching himself in the face a couple dozen times, and falling onto an unfortunately-placed sword. Sixteen times.
I am ambushed by humans, and for a change, they do not drop dead immediately. I bash the master with my ladle, and he is propelled away. While in mid-air, he dies of old age.

Yarlig

• Bay Watcher
  • High Master Procrastinator
    • View Profile
« Reply #965 on: June 22, 2021, 07:16:39 am »

I'd say regicide is both tolerated and appreciated as long as it is stylish.
That reminds me I need to post the rest of my turn. Iden cut a swathe through the goblin towns in that area, seems fitting for him to end a human civilization controlled by goblins. As for Erith, I'll post the rest of my turn later this week once I'm back at my computer to clear that bit up.
I'll definitely be looking forward to that! very interested what happened in Coveredashes.
A weremammoth in Scarletbronze? So one of Raki's victims then? If so, that's hilarious. Small world.
One of Raki's personal victims indeed' as well as the head honcho of the town before his arrival; really' everyone knows everybody. And on that note' I noticed one of Iden's kills was the goblin mobster that I gave an artifact bronze bolt to during my last turn' seems he didn't get to enjoy it for long.

Lurker Z

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #966 on: June 22, 2021, 12:43:21 pm »

• Lonelythrall becoming a group leader seems to down to the last member of the group (except him) dying of old age, apparently causing the group ownership to default to him. He also killed some random Dwarf recruit back in 770 for no discernible reason.
I always felt Lonelythrall got the short end of the stick. Almost every adventurer became Adilatír / Walled Dye barons just for settling in an Adilatír controlled location (even in Boltspumpkin I think), even my character that's been complaining about being "exiled" has got it good, being taken by a religion for only 2 kills (I'm not sure if the game counts what he did with Uja, Legends Viewer doesn't even recognize he was the one to out her as a vampire/night creature) and then the leader of a town just a few years later, a town not that distant from the capital and his hometown (I've studied Omon Obin a bit and I've split its expansions into 6 district, the town Lurker is in is the closest to the district that holds the capital).

Meanwhile, Lonelythrall waited decades to be made the Leader of a "nomadic group", probably one step from an outlaw lord of, as pointed out, no-one to lead anyway. This is the guy that found 2 vaults and defeated one. In-world, I have to blame the goblin leaders, but from a game perspective, it makes no sense.

Holy frak, Imic, you had necromancers crawling over necromancers to get to your artifacts. The woes of being an aspiring mountainhome I guess.

Hey, Bralbaard, can you add the map I made to the post with your map? It's only slightly edited from the versions I posted a while ago, but it has what I think are the main locations of the world, most if not all the capitals, even some necro towers. Want to put it under a spoiler, something like "Map of Orid Xem made by Lurker"? Thanks.

https://i.imgur.com/ftfH9jU.png

Mind, anyone can edit it if they have something to add. I'm not sure if I should add the player forts since they're on Bralbaard's map anyway.
« Last Edit: June 22, 2021, 02:17:35 pm by Lurker Z »

Bralbaard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #967 on: June 22, 2021, 03:01:37 pm »

Hey, Bralbaard, can you add the map I made to the post with your map? It's only slightly edited from the versions I posted a while ago, but it has what I think are the main locations of the world, most if not all the capitals, even some necro towers. Want to put it under a spoiler, something like "Map of Orid Xem made by Lurker"? Thanks.

https://i.imgur.com/ftfH9jU.png

Mind, anyone can edit it if they have something to add. I'm not sure if I should add the player forts since they're on Bralbaard's map anyway.

I have added it, but firefox has some issues displaying it properly because it is very wide. Zooming out on the whole internet page works though. Is it manageable for others?
I could scale it down to a resolution that is still readable?

Quantum Drop

• Bay Watcher
  • Deep Sixed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #968 on: June 22, 2021, 05:17:26 pm »

Same issue on Google Chrome: you have to zoom out or scroll across the page to see the map properly. I wouldn't be averse to scaling it down a bit, or sticking a note in the spoiler title saying it's really big.

I always felt Lonelythrall got the short end of the stick. Almost every adventurer became Adilatír / Walled Dye barons just for settling in an Adilatír controlled location (even in Boltspumpkin I think), even my character that's been complaining about being "exiled" has got it good, being taken by a religion for only 2 kills (I'm not sure if the game counts what he did with Uja, Legends Viewer doesn't even recognize he was the one to out her as a vampire/night creature) and then the leader of a town just a few years later, a town not that distant from the capital and his hometown (I've studied Omon Obin a bit and I've split its expansions into 6 district, the town Lurker is in is the closest to the district that holds the capital).

Meanwhile, Lonelythrall waited decades to be made the Leader of a "nomadic group", probably one step from an outlaw lord of, as pointed out, no-one to lead anyway. This is the guy that found 2 vaults and defeated one. In-world, I have to blame the goblin leaders, but from a game perspective, it makes no sense.
Yeah, it's kind of weird how the game decided to give out baronies: the first three or four surviving adventurers got given the position of baron, then another three or four survivors pass by without becoming nobles (despite settling in locations controlled by the WD and having membership in their civs), then one of them becomes a countess after settling in Treatyseed, then it seems to be a dry run up to the present (probably due to the majority of recent adventurers lacking citizenship and/or settling elsewhere - excepting Iden, since his WD noble positions seem to have been gained by player action rather than 'natural' world events). Also, Legends Viewer lists Lonelythrall as an 'Outcast' when looking at Boltspumpkin, so that might have something to do with why he was never considered for a noble rank by the game.

(I would like to hear about why you'd blame the gobbo leaders for it in-universe, though.)
I am ambushed by humans, and for a change, they do not drop dead immediately. I bash the master with my ladle, and he is propelled away. While in mid-air, he dies of old age.

Lurker Z

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #969 on: June 22, 2021, 05:39:52 pm »

I have added it, but firefox has some issues displaying it properly because it is very wide. Zooming out on the whole internet page works though. Is it manageable for others?
I could scale it down to a resolution that is still readable?
Thanks. You could do that, but I still have the original and if I modify it, you'd have to do that again. You could just put the direct link and leave it at that.

There's a reason it's that big, it's because of all your... observations that you don't have enough space to put notes on the map, so I doubled its dimensions, then put the two black spaces both to the right and left to further avoid overcrowding. I was even planning of putting black spaces above and below, but it seems so far it wasn't necessary.

Yeah, just put the direct link, one full-blown map is enough for the casual reader anyway.

I would like to hear about why you'd blame the gobbo leaders for it in-universe, though.
Because they're filthy goblins? What more reason do I need?

But let's break it down. Lonelythrall is originally part of the Creamy Confederacy. CC is ruled by a goblin since 507, and more recently since 770 by his son after he was assassinated (surprisingly enough, unrelated to adventurer activity). These two are also at the same time unashamed members of The Knowing Deceiver, a goblin civ
Spoiler: Spoiler (click to show/hide)

This might make him a hero, hells even the populace should praise him for slaying a death god's creatures, but how are the goblins going to see this? Quick reminder that the goblin's cabinet is all goblin. So of course they'd ostracize Lonelythrall, they wouldn't give him anything to command, maybe even send a dwarf to assassinate him. When that failed, they'd try to set him up, like maybe making him the leader of a known criminal organization with little troops, but easily dispatched as "that evil horrid monster that's raiding us honest citizens as the leader of that very notorious criminal gang".

It's just roleplay of course, but that's my take on it.

Maybe in-game reason is that he's a night creature and TWD knows this? It still doesn't explain CC's reluctance to give him any meaningful position and then to give him the lousiest position possible anyway. It also doesn't explain why a religion didn't sweep him off his feet, my char had zero tanget in game (or out, in case you're thinking some scary sapient AI ghost story) with the deity the religion of which took him in. The only thing Lurker had over Lonelythrall is that he had in-game religious worship, albeit to a different god.

Edit regarding map: Yeah, I started adding more to it, I definitely need it as big as it is. I'm also weary that shrinking it might shrink the visual strength of the connecting lines to the text, and rehashing those lines might cover terrain which with the map as is, is not an issue.
« Last Edit: June 22, 2021, 06:28:05 pm by Lurker Z »

Bralbaard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #970 on: June 23, 2021, 01:23:13 am »

I'll keep the map as it is. I saw it is quite easy to scroll across on mobile, and it's in a spoiler.

Lurker Z

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #971 on: June 26, 2021, 07:34:59 am »

Yo, BluarianKnight, how's the turn going?

Updated map with Omon Obin (imaginary) districts:

https://i.imgur.com/nAv8W6g.png

With this apparent thread down-time, I have an announcement to make. Because my future may turn out busy and because I was going to announce this during my turn, but the quality of the work put into the project at the time felt too half-baked, and present-me more than agrees with past-me, as since then I have added tables, succession boxes and such...

Anyway, without further ado or rambling, I present:

Dwarf Fortress Legends Wiki

For this world, you can start with Outline of Orid Xem.

This is a project I've started since 2013, but I've hardly edited for a long time. I've just ressurected it this year, but I'm glad for the work I put into it. The scope of the wiki is to add Legends materials from all worlds, though Orid Xem has caught the most of my attention. I'd warn about spoilers, but most of the articles are about creatures that died without anyone in this thread knowing they even existed.

There's a List of adventurers who traveled towards The Museum where I started filling out the red links. Do take note that most accounts are taken more or less directly from Legends Viewer rather than the roleplay thread proper, but that's just because I took the relevant information from there, not because articles shouldn't take roleplay elements if editors want to.

If you want to participate, you might want to take a look at the policy and Manual of Style.

While this isn't an issue in the immediate or near future, and hopefully never will be, I'd appreciate that if I become inactive, someone or multiple someones continue to edit that wiki, because fandom policy says it deletes inactive wikis (probably has to be inactive for years, but still).

Why a general Legends Wiki and not a specific Museum wiki?

Well, considering that the Museum already stretches on 3 worlds, it fits right into an "all Dwarf Fortress worlds" wiki. Besides, on Wikia/Fandom there are at least a few one-Dwarf-Fortress-world wikis, including Kruggsmash's and Spearbreakers and probably others, all with a few articles each. So I figured I could consolidate all Legends into one wiki. Also why I don't think hosting at the Dwarf Fortress Wiki is a good idea, is that there's an unwritten "only capital L legendary stories/forts/characters are allowed" rule, and I wanted a wiki to chronicle ALL events in a world if an editor wanted to. As just an example, adding all the numbers in the front page of Legends Mode for Orid Xem gives a number around 500,000. I doubt Dwarf Fortress Wiki would be willing to host 500,000 articles just for one world, but Wikia doesn't care. I've seen wikis on Wikia with these many pages and it doesn't bat an eye, as long as you don't get them in trouble.

With the hope that my rambling hasn't bored you too much, Lurker signing off for now.
« Last Edit: June 26, 2021, 08:24:45 am by Lurker Z »

BluarianKnight

• Bay Watcher
  • Gimme a soul, sailor.
    • View Profile
« Reply #972 on: June 26, 2021, 04:08:53 pm »

If nobody minds, I might need an extra day or two beyond the week to submit my files - but I'm working on it.

Was going to post my diary, but.. honestly I think I have to do it in one go.
A beautiful lesbian trans lass, I'll punch ya dork.

Lurker Z

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #973 on: June 28, 2021, 10:18:25 am »

Might be a better idea to post what you have, there are people who ended their turns and posted the ending after the save. It also helps you put all the details you care to, I don't think I'd remember my journey if you were to ask me now.

Imic

• Bay Watcher
  • Still sad
    • View Profile
« Reply #974 on: June 28, 2021, 01:07:58 pm »

Might be a better idea to post what you have, there are people who ended their turns and posted the ending after the save. It also helps you put all the details you care to, I don't think I'd remember my journey if you were to ask me now.
It's entirely possible to write the story whilst it happens, then post it all after it's done. Speaking of which, I need to finish writing up my last turn now that I'm home. Aaand, speaking of being at my PC where I can get info on the world...

Details regarding the Mission to recover Summerwanes, the Artifact Harp stolen from Crownhall the City of Stone

Summerwanes is a Tarem, a large stationary instrument with 35 metal strings suspended from the frame down to the body, plucked by hand by the musician. Summerwanes was carved from Native Aluminium, A material even more valuable than gold, and just as valuable as platinum, in the mid-Autumn of the year 772 by the Dwarf Atir Treatypattern in the Fortress-city of Crownhall, fulfilling the Dwarf's lifelong ambition of creating a great work of art. It was placed in the local Museum of Crownhall, until the mid-winter of the year 779, when the Goblin Zolak Profanetomes stole it with help from a local miner, and disappeared into the night. Any individual to return Summerwanes to its rightful place in the prominent Black Bronze Pedestal of the Museum of Crownhall or in the hands of its rightful owner Atir Treatypattern shall be rewarded with a free choice of a single Artifact, taken from the rest of the exhibits in the Museum of Crownhall, found at the western Hall of the Southern Commons, down the street from the Throne Hall and just around the bend from the Hospital. If you're in the large circular hall full of bronze bookcases, you've found it.

Using legends viewer to find Summerwanes is not forbidden if it can't be located only using Adventurer mode, but it is kinda cheating.
Imic's no longer allowed to vote.
Quote from: smyttysmyth
Well aren't you cheery
Quote cabinet
Regrets every choice he made and makes, including writing this here.
Pages: 1 ... 63 64 [65] 66 67 ... 263