Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 66 67 [68] 69 70 ... 263

Author Topic: Museum III, adventure succession game (DF 0.47.05)  (Read 409833 times)

ChaosPotato

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Museum III, adventure succession game
« Reply #1005 on: July 28, 2021, 05:17:12 pm »

Am I allowed to use DFHack to temporarily possess a companion? I have...
uh
ideas
that require me to be able to switch between adventurers (once (or twice, if you count switching back to the original one)), but I don't want to play peasant and I'm not allowed to start with party members unless I play peasant.
Pretty sure in previous turns people played companions in-game like their main char, if not necessarily in their after-action written report. Also pretty sure you can do this with vanilla DF.
I think you can only do that with companions you started with.
hi I hate this account and everything I've ever done with it but I don't feel like going through the process of making a new one right now

Lurker Z

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1006 on: July 29, 2021, 01:11:55 pm »

I think you can only do that with companions you started with.
It doesn't sound all that different to me. Better wait for Bralbaard's reply, it should be coming by the time your turn rolls around...
Sigtext updated 13-03-2024.

Quantum Drop

• Bay Watcher
  • Deep Sixed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1007 on: August 01, 2021, 08:14:50 am »

It's been about a week - how're things coming along, Yarlig?
I am ambushed by humans, and for a change, they do not drop dead immediately. I bash the master with my ladle, and he is propelled away. While in mid-air, he dies of old age.

Yarlig

• Bay Watcher
  • High Master Procrastinator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1008 on: August 02, 2021, 07:49:35 am »

It's been about a week - how're things coming along, Yarlig?
I didn't play much for most of the week due to IRL stuff cropping up' and much of what I did play was lost due to a crash; I managed to do a few things during the weekend and I'm heading with my submission (or three) right now - and with any luck' should have the first story update by evening. Uploading the save soon also.

Yarlig

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1009 on: August 03, 2021, 09:26:38 am »

Alright' I'm done. Sorry for the delay.
Save's here: https://dffd.bay12games.com/file.php?id=15627

I've had the game crash several times' with two areas being especially affected. I've marked their approximate extents here:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
The northern area (marked on the right) is' I suspect' my fault' as at the very beginning of my turn I decided' in a remarkable stroke of foolishness' that having ~three dozen sentient undead skins is a good idea. The game doesn't seem to know how to handle them' so steer clear; fortunately' no places of great importance seem to fall within it' and it can still be circumnavigated reasonably effectively. I'm not sure what's going on in the one in the other place' but it's' worryingly' at the very doorstep of Boltspumpkin. It doesn't crash with the same regularity though. In case the game is too bugged to play' I'm ready to take full responsibility and have the game continue from Lurker's save instead.

Moreover' the corpses that have been stored at Herograves are gone' along with the artifact candy sarcophagi they were stored in. LV claims that those are in the possession of their creator' Irthu Bladebroken. I only found one sarcophagus at the site' but it disappeared as well after I left and returned. The corpses of Pictham Contestlabored and Solon Riftworks' stored within the built wooden caskets' are fine though.

On a lighter note' I have the first update mostly ready now' but before I get to writing more' have a quick update here:

That should be all' expect a story update and possibly some bugtesting in near future.

Quantum Drop

• Bay Watcher
  • Deep Sixed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1010 on: August 03, 2021, 10:56:12 am »

I have a nasty, sneaking suspicion as to why the corpses and sarcophagi at Herograves went AWOL. Going to try and do some testing. If it's right, I'm ready to accept full responsibility for buggering things up over there :(.

As for the bugged regions, I'm going to unpack the save and have a quick poke around them in adventurer and LV, see if I can try and nail down whatever may be causing such issues. Going off of a first glance, though, since the Boltspumpkin-adjacent bugged area is limited to three or four world tiles, it shouldn't be that difficult to navigate around it. We might be able to solve the issue with the seemingly bugged sentient skins through the same method NGN used to wipe out the massive HoP clusters, but I don't think it's all that big of an issue (since all it really does is force you to take a hard right at the Razorbridge Isthmus, or take the long way around) and I really don't want to think of the issues that might cause with game stability due to the historical figures that would be caught in the erasure.

On the subject of submissions, I'd say that the zombified sea serpent's corpse would be the more impressive 'official' submission, though that bag of husking dust will almost certainly see some use over the next few turns if you put it somewhere prominent in the Museum. Speaking of which: how *did* you get a bag of that soot? Was it RNG, or did you just spend a load of time waiting until you got lucky and a cloud rolled in?
« Last Edit: August 03, 2021, 05:00:10 pm by Quantum Drop »
I am ambushed by humans, and for a change, they do not drop dead immediately. I bash the master with my ladle, and he is propelled away. While in mid-air, he dies of old age.

Yarlig

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1011 on: August 03, 2021, 02:18:14 pm »

As for the bugged regions, I'm going to unpack the save and have a quick poke around them in adventurer and LV, see if I can try and nail down whatever may be causing such issues. Going off of a first glance, though, since the Boltspumpkin-adjacent bugged area is limited to three or four world tiles, it shouldn't be that difficult to navigate around it. We might be able to solve the issue with the sentient skins through the same method as was used to wipe out the massive HoP clusters, but I don't think it's all that big of an issue (since all it really does is force you to take a hard right at the Razorbridge Isthmus, or take the long way around) and I really don't want to think of the issues that might cause with game stability due to the historical figures that would be caught in the erasure.
The boundaries are very rough' but one thing I made sure of was whether the Isthmus would still be usable. I'm somewhat afraid that the skins (assuming they are the source of the problem) might start spreading' or that other undead might turn out bugged - there was a lot of necromancy-related shenanigans. I'll try to have a look into this also.

Speaking of which: how *did* you get a bag of that soot? Was it RNG, or did you just spend a load of time waiting until you got lucky and a cloud rolled in?
Just dumb luck. I was strolling about Homesafe' trying to find Tipi's corpse' when I ran across a pile of this stuff. Only noticed because there was a log buried in it' making it show on a suspicious red background; otherwise' the soot looks just like red sand.

Also' the first (short) part of my writeup is here:

I am Hannibal Valleyball, capybara man. I was raised by my father, a human of the Creamy Confederacy, and as you can probably guess from my name, I was shown much love and attention in my childhood. It should not come as a surprise then that I decided to show my gratitude to my dear father by obtaining a much sought-after degree in medical studies, with a specialty in surgery.

I practiced my art at the hospital of Elderssins, where I performed many successful amputations. If ever in doubt of my abilities, ask mr. Bustburst:

However, I do not intend to spend the rest of my career in this provincial facility. I plan to one day serve the law-giver himself. In order to attain necessary experience, I will travel and learn whatever there is about the art of dissection.

As I travel through the town of Orbsnarled, I come across a most interesting case:

I NEED to dissect this one! Quick, prepare the scalpel!

Perfect. Now, hold still...

Oi! You varmint, biting your doctor like this? What ingratitude!

Oh dear. It seems the patient did not survive the ordeal. Ah well, the worse for him; It’s still much valuable experience for me. However, the whole effort made me a tad bit peckish. Let’s sate my hunger with some specialty I took from home.

Scrumptious.

« Last Edit: August 05, 2021, 01:23:25 pm by Yarlig »

Yarlig

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1012 on: August 04, 2021, 02:47:21 pm »

Okay' I've some good news about the bugs. It seems the area around Elderssins can be visited under certain circumstances. I was able to approach the site from the north and coast and meet (and get ambushed by and kill) the walking skins' so it seems they're not the source of the problem in and of themselves. However' when I went closer to the site' the game'd crash anyway.

I then made a fort right at the doorstep of Elderssins' retired and started an adventurer; I went to the site on foot without using fast travel and entered it with no issue' witnessing this:
After that' I fasttraveled away and the entire perimeter was fine; no crashes' no freezing' I could enter Elderssins as well. It might be advisable that the next player make a fort at that exact spot.

I'll try to have a look if it remains stable' and whether it can be replicated with the Boltspumpkin buggy area.

Bralbaard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1013 on: August 05, 2021, 03:53:58 pm »

I failed to notice earlier that the save was posted. That makes it Atomic chickens turn.

Last entry
I get ambushed by goblins in Swordgleamed. Finally, the Gods smile upon me...
So you went to Swordgleamed and the only thing that ambushed you were two goblins? If I'm not mistaken that is the town where we had ambushes by *thousands* of bandits before. It would be an interesting development if they are gone. (Not that this ambush was less deadly though)

Am I allowed to use DFHack to temporarily possess a companion? I have...
uh
ideas
that require me to be able to switch between adventurers (once (or twice, if you count switching back to the original one)), but I don't want to play peasant and I'm not allowed to start with party members unless I play peasant.
For roleplay reasons it is fine. I mean, don't recruit a demon companion and possess him, or similar unbalanced stuff :-p.

• My submissions to Boltspumpking are: the carcass of Amazetones the Sunken Ways' undead sea serpent' which I slew personally; and a bag of fiendish soot' which is used to create husks. I'm still not sure which one would make a better official submission.
  • To Herograves I submitted the corpses of Tipi Fatewalks and Lurker Lockkingdom. I think those are mostly complete' but some pieces might be missing.
  • The skin of Ashro Scufflegrowls has been reanimated as a putrid ghoul' which might be the cause of a bug.
  • Bolan Quickpainted has also been reanimated as a putrid ghoul and is currently at large.
  • Zasit Brasshelped is still dead' as per:
    Zasit Brasshelped (DwarvenLord)' died in 792 at Treatyseed' aged 114.
  • There should now be a fair number of undead goblins and other critters running about the world. Good hunting!

Both artifact suggestions sound great; let me know when you make up your mind. I'll update the information on Herograves.
Note that any non-artifact items that are missing from the Herograves may simply have scattered about the site itself. This sometimes happens, but is not reproducible, at many sites. It actually happened at the museum in my very first turn (but thankfully not afterwards), and happened at monkeycurse as well after Raki dropped the slab on the ocean floor. Artifacts can also teleport to other sites due different bugs, that are also poorly understood.

About the game crashing bugs, I think those have been around for a while and are not unique to your save game, if you are confident you have fixed some of it with that fortress you constructed, than we could start from your current save if you reupload it? Anyhow, I have not messaged atomic chicken yet, so let me know if that is an option.

I will be away from my computer for the next two weeks, so I'll move myself down the turn list a bit.
« Last Edit: August 05, 2021, 04:34:36 pm by Bralbaard »

Yarlig

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1014 on: August 05, 2021, 05:27:06 pm »

About the game crashing bugs, I think those have been around for a while and are not unique to your save game, if you are confident you have fixed some of it with that fortress you constructed, than we could start from your current save if you reupload it? Anyhow, I have not messaged atomic chicken yet, so let me know if that is an option.
I have to admit that I did message Atomic Chicken to keep the game running smoothly' although with no reply as of yet; apologies for causing chaos.
The test save where I fixed the area is very messy anyway; I should be able to easily replicate it' however' so I could post it tomorrow' if Atomic isn't playing already.

Both artifact suggestions sound great; let me know when you make up your mind. I'll update the information on Herograves.
After mulling it over a bit' I think I'll go with Quantum's suggestion and submit the ghoulish sea serpent's corpse; it's more of an achievement' and the soot is in an out of the way corner anyways.

So you went to Swordgleamed and the only thing that ambushed you were two goblins? If I'm not mistaken that is the town where we had ambushes by *thousands* of bandits before. It would be an interesting development if they are gone. (Not that this ambush was less deadly though)
Actually' I also went to Swordgleamed and got an army again; however' when I left it later' the single asterisk dispersed into many individual units; I tracked one down and it was a single goblin priest' traveling to take up their position in some faraway village.

Atomic Chicken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1015 on: August 05, 2021, 09:58:06 pm »

Work's consuming all of my energy at the moment; I'm going to have to pass on this turn to the next person on the list.
As mentioned in the previous turn, the most exciting field of battle this year will be in the Arstotzkan capitol, with plenty of close-quarter fighting and siege warfare.  Arstotzka, accordingly, spent their design phase developing a high-altitude tactical bomber. 

Yarlig

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1016 on: August 06, 2021, 06:37:49 am »

In that case' I'm going to tinker with the save' look if I can fix those broken areas; I'll edit the save into this post and if Bralbaard allows' we could continue from it.

Alright' I tried a few times and I can't seem to replicate the earlier success' although I did get it slightly more manageable; I can walk from the fortress to Elderssins' and then roam about the area' but at some point the game inevitably crashes. It doesn't happen in the older test save; this might be due to me having built two fortresses in the area in that save' or due to me unretiring Sealsabres and sending a squad to try and wipe out those skins. In any case' I think it would require too much intrusion and/or effort to fix what seems like a relatively harmless bug' so I guess I'll leave the old save as it was.
One thing that seems to bug out in the area is that I sometimes fall down and can't stand up because 'somebody else is standing here' when in fact there is no one there; it seems the mass resurrection has caused the game to think that someone should occupy certain tiles.
« Last Edit: August 06, 2021, 07:53:24 am by Yarlig »

Bralbaard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1017 on: August 06, 2021, 08:10:31 am »

Hmm that last thing is an interesting observation, some types of undead can become invisible and completely undetectable by adventurers. We've had people die to ambushes of invisible creatures before, but if you are a necromancer they could be friendly to you. They could then also occupy the same tile as you described. 

We'll just continue from the existing save then. I assume there is a broken historical figure somewhere that crashes the game if you encounter him, and he might have moved out during your first attempt.
Just make sure to save often when you play a turn.

I'll PM Glloyd.
« Last Edit: August 06, 2021, 08:16:10 am by Bralbaard »

Lurker Z

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1018 on: August 06, 2021, 11:30:56 am »

Thanks for adding me back to the turn list.
Last entry
I get ambushed by goblins in Swordgleamed. Finally, the Gods smile upon me...
So you went to Swordgleamed and the only thing that ambushed you were two goblins?
Around twenty, actually. Not enough to kill my FPS by a long shot, not how The Shelter of Adventurers did. Is The Shelter still borked, by the way? I'm not sure after reading some of the latest discussions.

The plan, ironically, wasn't even to do any work there, I was just passing through by way of fast-travel, then "I felt uneasy". Some of them approached me, I tried talking to them, but no dice. They just straight up attacked me and I wanted to take some goblins down, so I didn't mind at the time.

As for not being zerg swarmed, it might be the location. I was traveling from east to west (from the fiasco in Señamatem, naturally), or so I remember, maybe there's less of a cluttering of NPCs there?

It would be an interesting development if they are gone. (Not that this ambush was less deadly though).
Last time I checked (which was a while ago), there were still 4k creatures skulking around. It's easy to check, just go into Dwarf Fortress mode, search the place on the map, select all the squares that belong to it, then embark and look at "Others" in the Units menu.

So going back to old saves, I see a recurrent bug that I'm not sure was ever brought up either here or on the main bug report:

Adventurers that become nobles (or even all adventurers, I'm not sure), die of dehydration as soon as you claim the capital. This is inconvenient because I wanted to see what location adventurers were Barons/Counts of, for example, there are creatures where you claim the capital that say "baron of place X" or "baron of place Y" like this. There's another way to do this, just see who takes their place when they die, at least those don't die of dehydration. But I just though I'd point out this weird bug.

Some more weird events from Legends Mode, I present to you the saga of the female giant grizzly bear Weatheredroof:

Spoiler: Not actually a spoiler (click to show/hide)

Glad to have you more involved in the discussion, Bralbaard.

« Last Edit: August 07, 2021, 08:19:53 am by Lurker Z »
Sigtext updated 13-03-2024.

Glloyd

• Bay Watcher
  • Against the Tide
    • View Profile
« Reply #1019 on: August 06, 2021, 06:25:45 pm »

You'll also have to skip me. I didn't expect the turn to come to me this quickly, and I'm away from my computer for the next two weeks, so just bump me to the end of the turn list. Sorry!
Pages: 1 ... 66 67 [68] 69 70 ... 263