Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 93 94 [95] 96 97 ... 263

Author Topic: Museum III, adventure succession game (DF 0.47.05)  (Read 409687 times)

Bralbaard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Museum III, adventure succession game
« Reply #1410 on: December 21, 2021, 10:15:26 am »

I'm going to tentatively concur on ambushes being the cause of the crash - maybe you ran into one of those intelligent skins Yarlig mentioned having problems with?
That looks very much like the same problem, the affected area likely extends a bit to the north as well, and as I mentioned there are similar problems near Ghoulcreek, or the area directly towards the south of that place.

kesperan

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:rugged beard]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1411 on: December 21, 2021, 12:51:54 pm »

I didn’t have any crashes near Shiptrails or Ghoulcreek. The only crash I did have was when approaching one of the vaults.

The roaming fell ones could well be deceased residents of Shiptrails that Moldath resurrected.

As for Treatyseed, I’m not sure if I made much difference in the end. I looked in legends viewer after my turn and I’m pretty sure some more blighted thralls migrated back after I left.

The Omon Blight is a tricky cancer to cure!
Wow. I believe Kesperan has just won adventurer mode.

AvolitionBrit

• Bay Watcher
  • Funk to Funky
    • View Profile
« Reply #1412 on: December 21, 2021, 06:09:08 pm »

Yeah i did want to visit the vault and crashed.
The return of the thin white duke, throwing darts in lovers eyes

Drunken scholar

kesperan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1413 on: December 22, 2021, 06:06:13 pm »

"Moldath II", Part V, Turn 63

1st Limestone 826

I travel south warily through the vast goblin lands, which are mostly deserted. A few lone greenskins put up little resistance.
Passing through the deserted dark pits I find myself at a small camp, with a bridge over the river and tall wooden building. Many dead and butchered animals are nearby, but I cannot see the camps owners anywhere.
I find a number of scientific journals written by the scholar Desli Wanedhummed the Beautiful Intricacies. One in particular is named My Thoughts on Sleep, and pertains to the secrets of life and death. I can now raise Gaunt Corpses.
After reading the library, I head upstairs, to find many neat but unused bedrooms. I bump into Atir Frecklescoured, a human merchant.
He confirms that Desli Wanedhummed runs Jackaldens the Distant Hearth, but cannot tell me of her whereabouts. He seems to be the innkeeper here. I thank him for his hospitality, and bid him good day.

2nd Limestone 826

I head east from Jackaldens and it is not long before I come across a strange sight. A dwarven baron, camping out in the wilderness near the goblin pits of Insighthexes. Meng Lustrouswheels is his name.
He claims to be a refugee fleeing from great danger, and used to be the Captain of the Guard of The Boats of Evisceration. 

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

I know this group - they are the government of Ironwards the Strifeful Hollows - what could have happened there to make Meng want to leave?
Meng does not seem to want my help to guide him to safety, and nor can he tell me much about what has happened at Ironwards. I decide to head west and find out.
Not far from Ironwards I am ambushed by a horrifying marmot brute. It  is spattered with dog blood.
It sprays great gouts of webbing at me and I am suddenly trapped. The beast lunges at my helpless form and scratches my head, tearing my rotten spine.
Had I been a mere mortal, I would have been instantly struck down. But I am not. I flick my hands and the enormous marmot is paralysed.
I struggle against the webs, and suddenly break free, in time to cleave the foul demons head from its shoulders.

I carve its heart from its unnatural body, and craft a masterwork demon bone ring to commemorate my victory. Helldungeons the marmot brute has been slain.
There are more demons prowling around this fort. I sneak through the forest and try to catch them unawares - their webs are most deadly and a stray claw from one of these enormous beasts could easily cleave my skull.
The next to fall is Dungeonfated the weasel demon, another web-sprayer. Rumoredsearches the iguana demon has no webs to protect itself, and its boiling noxious fumes are no challenge to me.

The last of these roaming beasts to fall is Sinmenaces, another weasel demon.

3rd Limestone 826

The charred ground littered with decaying goblin corpses indicates I have arrived once more at Ironwards, some 19 years since last I visited. I cross the lava moat and search for any sign of trouble.
I talk to the mayor, and the militia commanders, and they offer no new clues. No beasts stalk the halls, and they can't offer me an answer as to why Meng felt the need to flee.
I descend the path to Hell I took before and slay a few stray demons. There is no threat here. The champion of the fort patrols the hell outpost and grins when I ask him about trouble. It seems that Meng does not possess the same fortitude as his brethren here.
I leave the fort and head east, when i stumble into a conflict between two gray fiends - enormous scaly bisons - a clear brute, and a broad-nosed marksdwarf.
Sadly, the dwarf has no hope of defeating two of these beasts and by the time I catch up, he is already dead - but so is one of the beasts! Athel Alliedposts died a heroic death, and I reward their bravery with a second life as a Fell One. 

It seems the demons have turned on each other.
Examining the corpses, the weasel demon Uraatac (Diedhates) was killed by the gray fiend Pimanothra (Lurchbeguiles). The clear brute Apifiuthimi (Jackalpoisons) was killed by the Gray fiend Eyucathetifi (Depressedfreeze).
These demons are covered in the blood and gore of yet more demons.
Over the hill come crashing yet more fell demons - Gukilenir (Waddlemuddle) the gray fiend and Pimanothra (Lurchbeguiles).
The elite wrestler smashes my upper arm into pulp, but I shrug off the blow. This creature is not phased by my paralysis spell and recovers almost instantly. The battle is brief yet ferocious.
Soon Drabfungus, Lurchbeguile, Waddlemuddle, Depressedfreeze and Coldseduced the gray fiends are slaughtered. 

4th Limestone 826

I head eastwards and arrive at a castle, Spicetrails. It appears to be abandoned, and so I claim it for myself, and leave some of my treasure and assorted artifacts here.
I explore the nearby area - I must be close to the Museum of Boltspumpkin now. In the monastery of Pokedtongs I meet a goblin who claims to be a prophet! Bosa Bandtick claims to have no master and serve no group, and he has resided at the tomb for hundreds of years since a pilgrimage in 181.
He claims never to have heard of Egu Craftlenses the Key of Trading, the zebra fiend ruler of The Most Sin. He could be a member of the Knowing Deceiver, and yet I decide to spare his life and move on.
I pass through a tomb, Ironshakes, and a small fort Healerlashes.
I arrive at the town Diptramples and speak with my old friend Nom the Cheese, who has taken over the keep here and decorated it with the spoils of his adventures. He tells me proudly that he is now the Baron of Stakelessons.
Just then, a chief medical dwarf Tomul Quillhall arrives. How curious. And then a militia commander, and a sherrif. 
They tell me a bandit camp rules this place but why are there so many dwarves here? It would seem they have set up camp in the town... for what purpose?
I find a small stockpile of tiny armour. How strange. I decide to leave this place, as there are no monsters to defeat.

5th Limestone 826 

I arrive at the castle of Boltspumpkin at dusk.
I leave my submission on a chert pedestal on the east wall - a kakapo leather backpack containing Mastering The Elf, a star sapphire codex, and the mangled skull of the Elf Dark One Queen Vafice Lutecover.
I leave the museum at nightfall and continue south.

9th Limestone 826

I travel south for many days, and it is mostly uneventful. I pass through the town of Pricerings, but the inhabitants of the keep have been slaughtered.
It is snowing constantly, and bitterly cold here in the middle of the world. It appears that I have arrived at the Tundra of Heroes.
The featureless landscape is blanketed in a thick layer of snow. I am ambushed by a pack of starving wolves, and I almost feel sorry for them as I snuff out their lives.
On the horizon to the east is a goblin Dark Fortress. I head towards it and see a vast plain covered in the corpses of men and humans - a battle must have taken place here in the past, the corpses frozen in death.
Pressing on I find the fortress, Stealmountain, could this be the capital of the Knowing Deceiver? Within the central spire I find the “governer” Ngom Vicebrother, who claims to be a merchant.
I strike the filthy goblin down regardless. I search the fortress but can find nobody who claims to be a leader.
On the outskirts of town I find a camped army, and within their ranks are many blighted thralls. I cut them down – the fewer stinking ghouls roaming about, the better. 
I lose count of the number of goblin soldiers pouring out of Stealmountain; the armies of the Knowing Deceiver are on the march. I chase their terrified screams through the tundra until their mangled corpses are still.

11th Limestone 826

I arrive at a dwarven fort - Stockadeoutrage. It seems to be carved from an enormous jutting spike of rock soaring skyward.
A muscular scholar tells me that the Just Sabre rules Stockadeoutrage, and that it is the seat of Kikrost Lashdrilled - a baron - and Tobul Tomeschance, the king of The Staff of Kissing.
Despite searching the compact fort, I find evidence of neither.
Some human and goblin mercenaries are all I can identify.  Finally, as I leave the fort, I spot someone, in the snow, hauling a gabbro codex. He has a regal disposition.
I speak with him a while, and he confirms that he is indeed King Tobul. I gift him Dancetorch the Past Uncertainty, the legendary steel spear I took from Ancientknowledge.
He seems very pleased, crying tears of joy! I take my leave of the king, and continue my journey.

I reach the abandoned tower of Combineinsight. There are still a great many books and scrolls here, amongst the scattered corpses. I read "Loss: Before and After" and learn how to raise Hollow Zombies.
The slab, if there ever was one, must have been looted long ago. I continue south east.
The fort of Dyezeal is easy to miss - an unguarded stairway downwards from the barren snowy wastes.
Wooden logs and equipment are scattered wide, and no sign of any dwarf can be found, living or dead. The poor souls who founded this place could not have lasted long.

12th Limestone 826

In Tattooedflank to the south I am accosted by a human Hollow Hunter. On seeing me he vanishes in thin air and rains punches upon me.
I can see him as a vague red mist through my vampiric sense but I cannot strike at him.
Using my own magic I propel him away and paralyse him, before throwing my steel arrows at his hidden form. I am unsure how long he can stay invisible, if it is permanent then I have no hope of slaying him.
Eventually, I get a lucky shot... but at great loss. The human has torn off my nose and left ear!

I head into the town proper and approach the inn, and encounter another hollow hunter. I behead him before he manages to use his magic.
Within the inn, The Spirit of Growers, is a curious sight - a weremoose prophet! It flees in terror at my bloodied form, and I set about it. It drops its human nail trophies as its head falls from its shoulders.

13th Limestone 826

Clearmasters is a short distance westward. This strange fort seems to be built around a monastery, and lizard people reside within its walls. I explore it but find no beasts to slay. I continue my journey southwards.

16th Limestone 826

I arrive at the abandoned Vault of Coverashes. The dwarves of Ashcinders conquered this place, but rumours of riches still within its walls persist. I find many items looted by Erith Whippedumbral, some well-crafted armour and a variety of artefacts.
I take the weapons, and the adamantine mug. I leave the questionable thong collection behind.
I find also, the upper arm of Glloyd... the mighty warrior who delved into this vault. Finally, I find Buriedhate, the legendary slab.

But the most important treasure I leave this fiendish maze with, is a backpack bulging with blistered metal equipment, far too large for dwarf nor man. It is but a short trek to Ashcinders the Molten Scar, where I leave my pile of blistered metal by the forge fires...
I begin the long trek home, to the abandoned castle I clamed, Spicetrails.

Forts Explored:

1. Ancientknowledge
2. Relicward
3. Shiptrails
4. Razorbridge
5. Ghoulcreek
6. Lashjade
7. Emeraldcrown
8. Shotgleeful
9. Jackaldens
10. Ironwards
11. Healerlashes
12. Stockadeoutrage
13. Dyezeal
14. Clearmasters
15. Ashcinders

Moldath Mournsaints the Ardent, Blind Sadist Swordmaster.

« Last Edit: August 15, 2023, 01:22:26 pm by kesperan »

tonnot98

• Bay Watcher
  • Damp stone located.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1414 on: December 23, 2021, 05:24:14 pm »

Sorry I'm uploading it so late in the day, I had to do some finishing touches. Had fun with the naming scheme and made a glacier fortress named "Free The Eggs." I also rejuvenated a particular dwarf that's been traveling between fortresses for the last century or so. He ate his eggs. I've noticed that there seem to be quite a few dwarfs that have had some exhilarating stories to tell in fortress mode while people have been doing their own thing in adventurer mode.

Anyway, I don't know if this was mentioned earlier, but some fortress dwarfs have been showing up with minor injuries from other player fortresses, and won't do anything at all unless they're taken to a hospital, even starving and dehydrating themselves. So get a hospital/water source set up early if you're looking to make a fortress.
https://dffd.bay12games.com/file.php?id=15795

Good luck, Lurker! Should we give some amnesty for not starting right away? It is the holidays after all.
Not sure if dying of old age is an honor or a shame for weaponmasters. On the one hand, it means they never got the opportunity to die in glorious battle. On the other hand, it means nothing could beat them in glorious battle.
Meow.

AvolitionBrit

• Bay Watcher
  • Funk to Funky
    • View Profile
« Reply #1415 on: December 23, 2021, 06:05:46 pm »

Shame that Urist Ironhale didn't get to do much. But im glad that there were eggs for these trying times in Orid Xem.

Well this is certainly interesting.

Drunken scholar

kesperan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1416 on: December 23, 2021, 06:31:29 pm »

Congratulations on your promotion Avolition!

Your extensive experience mangling goblins certainly qualifies you for your new job as chief doctor!

AvolitionBrit

• Bay Watcher
  • Funk to Funky
    • View Profile
« Reply #1417 on: December 23, 2021, 06:38:14 pm »

Congratulations on your promotion Avolition!

Your extensive experience mangling goblins certainly qualifies you for your new job as chief doctor!

Thank you, perhaps Moldath would like to come and get a check up.

Drunken scholar

tonnot98

• Bay Watcher
  • Damp stone located.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1418 on: December 23, 2021, 08:21:33 pm »

Shame that Urist Ironhale didn't get to do much. But im glad that there were eggs for these trying times in Orid Xem.

Quite a shame, I was going to use a cartography mission as an excuse to visit the fortresses that hadn't been explored yet. Oh well, had all week to make a fortress instead.

There's an artifact statue of your scorpion man as well. Seems like he got pretty popular.
« Last Edit: December 23, 2021, 08:32:14 pm by tonnot98 »
Not sure if dying of old age is an honor or a shame for weaponmasters. On the one hand, it means they never got the opportunity to die in glorious battle. On the other hand, it means nothing could beat them in glorious battle.
Meow.

AvolitionBrit

• Bay Watcher
  • Funk to Funky
    • View Profile
« Reply #1419 on: December 23, 2021, 09:23:29 pm »

Just peeped to see what the statue was of. Well Crafted one i assume. Yeah i think that the amount of events just increased the odds of a statue dedicated to me. Nice to see the moment i became a vampire immortalised in statue form in a tundra fortress.

Drunken scholar

Bralbaard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1420 on: December 24, 2021, 02:44:37 am »

Congrats avolition! May your rule lasts longer than mine.

Good luck, Lurker! Should we give some amnesty for not starting right away? It is the holidays after all.

It's fine with me if the week officially starts after the christmas weekend. and before I forget, enjoy the holidays everyone.

Lurker Z

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1421 on: December 24, 2021, 03:33:49 am »

I head into the fort and see a strange sight - ant men and women, fighting thralls of their own kind. A queen ant woman spearman blighted thrall is struck down and surrounded by a great deal of blood, human blood.
Sadly, none of them received names. The more recent named ones are from before the Time of Adventurers (8th century).
This human is either a thrall himself, or a brave hero.
A thrall, sadly. You killed him yourself.

I bump into a dwarf gaunt zombie, Solon Sculpturebells. He is covered in the blood of several creatures, including Goden Charmkey the Gates of Mightiness, a known necromancer.
That's one weird dwarf, actually. Legends Viewer says she's undead, but doesn't say how. Goden was actually her grandmother. Goden killed her several times and several times from the dead until she actually killed Goden. This appears to have happened during Bralbaard's first run.

So queen Vafice Lutecover is dead.. so much for diplomacy with the elves. But with that book already in your possession I understand that this needed to be done.
I knew about Vafice weeks before this post, since I had been checking sapients of interest at the end of each turn. Same with Zefon.
I find a number of scientific journals written by the scholar Desli Wanedhummed the Beautiful Intricacies. One in particular is named My Thoughts on Sleep, and pertains to the secrets of life and death. I can now raise Gaunt Corpses.
It appears that scholars, adventurers or otherwise, can now write tomes that give other adventurers immortality AND abilities. This is a game-changer.

Interesting demon-on-demon-on-sadist fight there.

Clearmasters is a short distance westward. This strange fort seems to be built around a monastery, and lizard people reside within its walls. I explore it but find no beasts to slay. I continue my journey southwards.
It's built where a monastery used to exist. I left the original buildings up though. It seems you visited after Bomrek's run, so it's a shame you didn't notice the crystal glass wall or the items behind them, which is the true reason/attraction of the place, the diamond pedestal with artifacts on it. I'll try to replace one of the walls with clear glass so it can be more visible.

Did you have lag problems there? You don't mention going down the stairway, which goes all the way down to the lava. There are some cave renovations going on there and also that wild reptile tribe, which I'll try to co-opt into the fort.

Congrats, Avolition. I don't have that much praise here because I don't know much about Stalconpesor, but considering you ended their goblin rulers problem, you deserve to take your rightful place there. Let's hope then for more Kings and Queen rising from the ranks of our fair deadly and sometimes undead (and undying) adventurers!

Heads-up: think carefully if you ever want to unretire your adventurer, you might lose your position. Even if Stalconpesor is a rump-state, it's still an official state with a lot of history. Unless you want to try your luck at rising as the Law-Giver of some greater civilization, of course.

Just peeped to see what the statue was of. Well Crafted one i assume. Yeah i think that the amount of events just increased the odds of a statue dedicated to me. Nice to see the moment i became a vampire immortalised in statue form in a tundra fortress.
I'm planning to have at least a statue chamber for adventurers in Newworld, maybe some for all the gods of Orid Xem and some for the Kings and Queens of each civ.

On the note of randomly-generated statues, there were some I found of Erith in some monasteries abandoned centuries ago.

It's fine with me if the week officially starts after the christmas weekend. and before I forget, enjoy the holidays everyone.
Thanks for the kind words! I think the three days leeway is fair in any circumstances. Anyway, I'll be taking my turn now, I'll try to give it up by Friday or Saturday.

Happy Holidays for everyone!
Sigtext updated 13-03-2024.

AvolitionBrit

• Bay Watcher
  • Funk to Funky
    • View Profile
« Reply #1422 on: December 24, 2021, 07:33:24 am »

I think thats fair, happy holidays Lurker. Looking forward to seeing what you do.

Happy Holidays all.

Who knows maybe for Christmas this museum game might get into the hall of legends.

Drunken scholar

Bralbaard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1423 on: December 24, 2021, 07:49:47 am »

I bump into a dwarf gaunt zombie, Solon Sculpturebells. He is covered in the blood of several creatures, including Goden Charmkey the Gates of Mightiness, a known necromancer.
That's one weird dwarf, actually. Legends Viewer says she's undead, but doesn't say how. Goden was actually her grandmother. Goden killed her several times and several times from the dead until she actually killed Goden. This appears to have happened during Bralbaard's first run.

I actually posted about Goden being killed at the time.

Dozens of goblin corpses are piled up in the hallways.
The only dead dwarf that I find was a necromancer that must have fought on the side of the enemy. I can identify him by the book that he has clutched in his dead hands:

If I remember correctly he actually used that book to clobber his enemies to death multiple times (including Solon I guess), only to make the mistake to raise them from death after which the process would begin all over. This was all in the middle of a large battle with goblin invaders.
Anyhow the very first turn of this succession game clearly shows that Treatyseed was a death trap with constant civil war and fighting from the very beginning, long before the Thralls became a problem..

Lurker Z

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1424 on: December 24, 2021, 08:38:04 am »

Some updates/"sneak previews" (not sure how much of this will enter the story):

I hate civilization. The forts are just so laggy. I get why Moldath or Bralbaard didn't slog through tens of z-levels of stairs now.

0 FPS at Usligistra. Literally 1 tile per minute. What the hells are those measly 146 goblins doing there? I had a decent run in Thillecit with tens of creatures roaming around me on the map.

I couldn't resist, I used reveal-all to see what those goblins were up to. Not much, apparently.

Spoiler: image (click to show/hide)

Meanwhile in Boltspumpkin...

The only thing I'll return to them is fire and blood!

Speaking of, does anyone know Ishen's story? Is it one of us?

Someone borked the map icons, they look weird like Mudungudon's do. Anyone have any idea why that is?

Well, now that my "on the record" quest is over, it's time to start my main/storyline quest.

I actually posted about Goden being killed at the time.

If I remember correctly he actually used that book to clobber his enemies to death multiple times (including Solon I guess), only to make the mistake to raise them from death after which the process would begin all over. This was all in the middle of a large battle with goblin invaders.

Emphasized by myself. Solon is a she and so is Goden, the necromancer, her grandmother.

Anyhow the very first turn of this succession game clearly shows that Treatyseed was a death trap with constant civil war and fighting from the very beginning, long before the Thralls became a problem..
Eh that was a small scuffle/skirmish compared to the 825 and 826 massacres where the leadership was decapitated. The thralls were nasty.

The Shelter of Adventurers appears to still be borked. I've barely come close and I'm down to 5 FPS and practically 1 tile per half a minute. Not as bad as Usligistra, but I'm not even close to the gates.

« Last Edit: December 24, 2021, 09:33:47 am by Lurker Z »
Sigtext updated 13-03-2024.
Pages: 1 ... 93 94 [95] 96 97 ... 263