Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 96 97 [98] 99 100 ... 263

Author Topic: Museum III, adventure succession game (DF 0.47.05)  (Read 409350 times)

Lurker Z

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Museum III, adventure succession game
« Reply #1455 on: December 31, 2021, 07:30:09 pm »

Happy new year all.

Dfhack fullheal is personaly something i wouldnt do. Kinda opens another can of worms. If i recall it also removes undead and vamperism from dwarves.
Definitely not vampirism. Most definitely not vampirism. Moldath went on his drinking spree after I full-healed him.

QD mentioned some pages in the past that full-heal doesn't remove a creature's title of necromancer, but removes the abilities they gained from what they used to become a necro (also probably doesn't remove immortality).

Regarding undead, it makes mummies living again (which is awesome), but those resurrected like some of our adventurers are can't be made into living again, sadly.

Ah, and add me for another turn, Bralbaard, thanks.
« Last Edit: December 31, 2021, 09:18:39 pm by Lurker Z »
Sigtext updated 13-03-2024.

kesperan

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:rugged beard]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1456 on: December 31, 2021, 08:11:04 pm »

When I loaded up your save file, and selected Moldath, he was almost exactly as I left him. He has some different clothes, but his inventory is otherwise untouched.

Same armour, had his artifact sword, all his bone crafts, and the same injuries, scars, missing body parts and rot. I have no idea how it happened.

I have uploaded a save game I made after I retired him in a nearby human town - feel free to check it out.

And... Happy New Year you deranged animals!
Wow. I believe Kesperan has just won adventurer mode.

nogoodnames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1457 on: December 31, 2021, 11:49:09 pm »

On the off-chance that you haven't already started your turn NoGoodNames, I have uploaded a tweaked version of the save - the only difference being I have moved my adventurer Moldath from his captivity in Clearmasters to a nearby human town.

I did start already, sorry.

I had to replace the raw folder with a previous version because the one in the save had leftover graphics junk and was missing our edits (making Dwarves and Kobolds outsider playable). There shouldn't be any problems, but I'll be keeping watch. Did someone edit the [NOT_BUTCHERABLE] tag to [BUTCHERABLE] in the reptile raws? The errorlog is complaining about that because it's not a real tag.

As for the use of dfhack, I think it should be limited to non-cheaty functions and fixing game breaking bugs. In fort mode maybe it can be a bit looser as long as it doesn't leak back to adventure mode, but I'd prefer keeping it to a minimum. Using full-heal and making things immortal is crossing the line in my opinion.

...and happy new year (in 10 minutes for me)!
« Last Edit: December 31, 2021, 11:50:48 pm by nogoodnames »
Life is, in a word, volcanoes.
                        - Random human lord

nogoodnames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1458 on: January 01, 2022, 03:38:05 am »

Greetings and welcome, gentle reader! I am Rovod Lisidrovod, a gorlak from the cave known as Ivyhells the Hopeful Shadow. For a long time, I was alone there, but just under twenty years ago, a group of dwarves arrived. They called themselves “The Pointy Rocks” and said they were settling the cave as part of their kingdom! They taught me to read and write and told me many stories of the world outside our cave. Tales of great beasts, empires reborn and above all, the noble pursuit of knowledge!

Now I finally feel ready to add my own words to that great endeavour! Most entrancing of the dwarves’ stories were the ones they told of the many wonderous animals that fill this world. Tantalizingly diverse yet often vague and fragmented. I shall journey out and document them fully! Their appearance, their behaviour, and of course, their taste! I am after all, a cook by trade! This journal shall serve as a living record of my findings. Perhaps one day I will be able to edit it down and send a copy to the great museum to the north that I hear so much of.

As I prepare to depart, I spy some naked mole dogs who have made their way to the surface. I hunt a couple for meat. These cave creatures are common to me, but perhaps the rest of the world could use an introduction.

Spoiler: Of the Naked Mole-Dog (click to show/hide)

Before leaving, I speak with our local Administrator, Sigun Boardseal. He is a well-travelled dwarf of many talents. A strong warrior and a legendary craftsdwarf. He tells me of a few locations I can check out nearby. He stops me before I go and hands me one of his old trophies, a knot of hair from an enormous beast that dwelled in the depths of the world. Perhaps if I am lucky, I too can encounter such a creature!

I arrive at an ancient shrine Sigun pointed out to me. Local legend says it is the home to a mighty god of living metal. I approach cautiously. I crest the hill and find a stunningly beautiful statue of a strange man-beast surrounded by old coins.

Is this the god of this place? I had hoped it would be more lively. Regardless, I make a respectful offering. One should always respect the local culture.

I continue to the next landmark, a dwarven fortress known as Mosshill the Mines of Iron. A dwarf official greets me as I approach. I inquire about local monsters, and she tells me of an ettin that makes its home nearby but can’t tell me where exactly. She quickly angers at as I continue to question her, and I decide to see if anyone inside can help me. I find the entrance to the fort, but the corpse left to rot outside and the rows of traps are not exactly encouraging.

I cross through and reach what seems to be a forge area. True to its name, the fort appears to be dedicated to mining and processing iron. The few dwarves that live here clearly have a spartan existence. Though I suppose it’s better than a cave. I find one dwarf slumped over dead at his desk. Maybe I should leave.

On my way out, I help myself to a few of their supplies to cook some delicious rations. I let them keep most of the stew as payment.

Not far from the fort, I spy something unusual. Campfires and tents arranged outside. I approach and spot a dwarf who seems to be in charge. His helm bears the twin trees of the Staff of Kissing. However, he runs past me without a word, apparently on some business.

I go to investigate the tent, but suddenly the dwarf is back, punching at me in a rage! I nimbly dodge his blows and pull out my trusty whip. A sharp lash to his leg sends the dwarf to the ground. I offer the dwarf an end to the fight and he says he accepts, but immediately attacks again when I turn my back!

I try to escape, but even crawling on the ground the dwarf can keep pace with me. Damn these short legs! I am ashamed to admit it, but I had to kill the poor bastard. My whip shattered his skull with a sickening crack. I thought the others in the camp might try to fight me as well, but once their leader was dead, they just stood and stared at me as I backed away.

Just what was that all about? Already this journey is turning out to be more than I signed up for.
« Last Edit: January 01, 2022, 03:51:00 am by nogoodnames »
                        - Random human lord

Lurker Z

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1459 on: January 01, 2022, 07:02:34 am »

Interesting start. At least you survived your first encounter. Dang, why was that dwarf attacking you? Good thing for the whip, too.

Bralbaard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1460 on: January 01, 2022, 08:22:35 am »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Awesome gorlak art Nogoodnames!
Best wishes for everyone for the new year and for your gorlak in particular.

About DFhack use. I agree with the sentiments to keep dfhack use limited.
The rules actually used to state that dfhack was for circumventing crashes and bugs only, but some time ago we relaxed the rules to allow use of advfort crafting. I'll more clearly state in the rules that it should remain limited in other cases.

This is not only because of concerns for unintended effects of dfhack scripts, but also because excessive tampering may break immersion. 
« Last Edit: January 01, 2022, 08:27:13 am by Bralbaard »

kesperan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1461 on: January 01, 2022, 08:43:41 am »

I did start already, sorry.

No problem at all.

I see you met Sigun Boardseal the Competitive Failure, and his Pointy Rocks. These were the crack commandos from Ashcinders who conquered the vault of Coverashes; slew the last remaining angel and the animated corpse of Erith and eventually got bored and conquered the cave your Gorlak originated in.

He is an interesting character and well travelled as you say - he has lived in Sealsabres, Ironwards, Clearmasters and Ashcinders, and is a legendary wood crafter and legendary stone crafter. The artifact wooden crown he made was stolen and given to the necromancer Cog Wildnessworks, who was later slain by adventurers - Cog's animated corpse was butchered by Moldath and his neck bone is in the Museum. Sigun's wife was killed by a weremammoth but his son still lives in Ashcinders.

Good luck on your adventures, Rovod!

Lurker Z

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1462 on: January 01, 2022, 08:51:14 am »

This is not only because of concerns for unintended effects of dfhack scripts, but also because excessive tampering may break immersion.
Fair.

Though really, with in-game built magic flying around and mysterious circumstances that are sometimes even unrelated to adventurers, weird thing are the norm of the day. (Example: animals became sapient and able to hold a noble position since World Generation.)

For me, all the adventurers rising as undead breaks my suspense of disbelief. And it's an honest game mechanic. I'm not saying I dislike it, I'm just saying everyone's lines are different.

Role-playing, I've just chucked immortality to miracles and the fact that Kikrost and Rovod have been communicating, and so some, if not all, the creatures passing through their fortress have it.

Ah, and add me for another turn, Bralbaard, thanks.
Bump for visibility.

Sigun Boardseal the Competitive Failure
-snip-
Fellow might deserve an article. Too bad he only has such a small family.

Spoiler: Off-topic views (click to show/hide)

Also I see he didn't just visit Clearmasters, he became its member.

Ahaha.

AHAHAHAHAHA!

Some might guess why I'm laughing. I can't say for certainty, but it may be that
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Kikrost might be angry, people running away with his gifts, ungrateful sods.

Edit: Huh, he already has an article. I think he was discussed some pages before.

For me, he's notable for - as far as I know - being the father of the first dwarven child of the 9th century in my very own fort. I was initially going to redirect him to a dynasty page, but realized he's deserving of an article.

More edit: I finally found the post I mentioned him in, it was pretty low-key that it seems few or none noticed or clicked.
« Last Edit: January 01, 2022, 10:07:49 am by Lurker Z »

tonnot98

• Bay Watcher
  • Damp stone located.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1463 on: January 01, 2022, 03:37:49 pm »

Oh yeah, add me for another turn as well, please!
Not sure if dying of old age is an honor or a shame for weaponmasters. On the one hand, it means they never got the opportunity to die in glorious battle. On the other hand, it means nothing could beat them in glorious battle.
Meow.

Bralbaard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1464 on: January 01, 2022, 07:01:05 pm »

Turn list and the map have been updated.

nogoodnames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1465 on: January 02, 2022, 10:31:20 am »

I must admit, the senseless slaughter of the day before had me shaken, but I quickly set that feeling aside and focused on the journey ahead. Another day passed as I made my way south along the Bearded Horns. I was hoping to find the nest of one of the mighty birds of prey that live in high peaks, the rocs. My efforts were rewarded when I caught sight of a telltale glint.

I feared that this nest might have been raided long ago by monster hunters. Still, I crept up to it cautiously. Imagine my delight when I caught sight of a proud living roc! Thankfully he wasn’t looking my way. Such a beast could swallow me in one bite!

Carefully making my way over to nest, I took note of the scene. The remains of two other rocs were still scattered about the area, and I saw now that the living one had scars from some past battle. Curiously, it seemed that the hunter had carved up the bones of one roc into many different crafts only to leave them strewn around the nest. Perhaps its vengeful mate had returned and eaten him before he could leave with his trophies.

Picking through the nest, I grabbed a roc’s gizzard stone, a carved piece of glass and a single roc egg. I left the rest undisturbed. Best not to leave too much evidence of my intrusion.

Spoiler: Of the Roc (click to show/hide)

Leaving the mountains behind, I headed southwest. After swimming across a great river, I reached a cluster of dwarven hillocks. I explored the nearest. Most of the burrows were being used for underground farming, but I found a few dwarves in the civic mound. I spent a few moments swapping stories about dragon kings and such.

[

Unfortunately, the dwarves were not much help tracking down more beasts. They did point me in the direction of a larger fortress, “Ashcinders the Molten Scar.” The name is certainly ominous, but if these simple settlers all go there to trade, how dangerous could it be?

On my way to Ashcinders, wolves ambushed me near nightfall. They were tenacious, but quickly fell to my whip. I stopped by another hillocks to find someplace safe to rest. Strangely enough, this one was filled with humans aside from the dwarven mayor. I met a macewoman called Reloth who offered to join me. She seems competent enough, and I could use the company.

Finally, after trekking through a dense thicket of trees, we arrived at Ashcinders. The entrance makes an imposing first impression, with the treeline suddenly ending and smoothed walls of stone rising up.

We walked around the perimeter first and ran into an eye-catching structure made of bricks of green glass. It had steel doors flanked by two statues made of an odd, blistered metal I have never seen before. One was the symbol of the Walled Dye while the other depicted a dwarf slaying an elf. I entered the building and found the trappings of a small tavern. To my shock, instead of any dwarves inside, I found a reptile woman.

The reptile woman claimed to be a tavern keeper, but that she didn’t work in this specific tavern. Very curious. She did share an interesting ghost story with me though. A dwarf whose spirit remains tethered here out of desire for an artifact he once wielded.

The next floor of the glass building was filled to the brim with bins of steel weapons and armour, all of it masterful in quality. Why put this armory here? Were visitors intended to take from it. Is the fort’s materiel wealth so great that they can flaunt it like this?

If that floor impressed me, the next left me in utter awe. Again it was filled with bins, but instead of steel they held equipment made of the same blistered metal as the statues and… adamantine! The mythical blue metal! Light as a feather yet sharp as a razor and strong as the bones of the mountain! On pedestals around the room were named artifacts made of the same materials.

I tested a blistered shield and found it sturdy yet far lighter than my copper one. Well, if they left these bins out here, surely they intended visitors to avail themselves of the equipment? I took the shield, as well as a morningstar for Reloth. Just a pity the armour is sized for dwarves. I could use a lighter set.

I must confess, I may have indulged in a bit too much rum before leaving the tavern. The rest of my visit is a bit of a blur.

We went further south and found a field full of ash. The titular scar perhaps?

Following the ash trail up the mountain, we found a small gatehouse and some kind of penned in area where animals were grazing. The gate turned out to be a secondary entrance to the fort. We descended into it.

Inside we ran into some dwarves, showing that the place was in fact not populated solely by lizard people. There were also a number of tame grizzly bears wandering around.

Back at the entrance proper, there were rows of statues representing the Walled Dye blueberry bush as well as the fort’s own symbol. Some interesting iconography there.

We went deeper and deeper down the main stairway until we arrived at the burning heart of the fort. Here, magma was channeled to fuel many smelters and forges.

Returning upward, we found ourselves in some sort of memorial hall. To the north there were catacombs with far more coffins than should have been needed. The seemed to be mostly empty so the dwarves must have just been preparing for the future.

To the east we entered a room full of statues. I recognized them! Each one depicted a different adventurer who had contributed to the grand museum of Boltspumpkin! The center statues showed the start of the museum by Bralbaard and his eventual ascension to king.

To the south was another grand room filled with various artifacts. A mosaic of a dwarven face decorated the floor. Beyond that, there was another door that opened into a narrow hallway. I tried to continue through it, but a shooting pain in my arm pierced through my drunken stupor.

After that incident, I must have decided to return to the surface. I don’t remember much more beyond blurred moments and a growing feeling of nausea. We camped nearby, and I awoke with the worst hangover I’ve ever had. Let me tell you, headaches are far worse when your entire body is a head! My arm still hurts too, but I think the journey here was worth it. Seeing the museum contributors here so honoured has strengthened my desire to join them.
                        - Random human lord

Lurker Z

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1466 on: January 02, 2022, 11:43:16 am »

Imagine my delight when I caught sight of a proud living roc! Thankfully he wasn’t looking my way. Such a beast could swallow me in one bite!
Congratulation to bearing witness to the last living roc in the world! I wonder if its kin's hunter(s) left it alive for that purpose.

To my shock, instead of any dwarves inside, I found a reptile woman.

My precious, there you are! That's my first named reptile woman from Clearmasters, named in the common tongue Wildpaddled. She got her name by one-shotting a berserking dwarf without a scratch. Twice. I since got another named reptile woman, had her kill a goblin visitor. She received the name Silverycolored. Hope this one stays in my fort.

Interesting to see others' fortresses from the eyes of an adventurer.

Good luck on your continued quest!
« Last Edit: January 02, 2022, 11:53:41 am by Lurker Z »

kesperan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1467 on: January 03, 2022, 06:52:39 pm »

Curiously, it seemed that the hunter had carved up the bones of one roc into many different crafts only to leave them strewn around the nest. Perhaps its vengeful mate had returned and eaten him before he could leave with his trophies.

Ah yes, some of those bone crafts are no doubt Moldaths, when he was first learning. I left behind the poor quality ones. He is now quite *Talented* and has a number of masterworks!

They did point me in the direction of a larger fortress, “Ashcinders the Molten Scar.” The name is certainly ominous, but if these simple settlers all go there to trade, how dangerous could it be?

Yay! You visited my fort. I am glad you found it interesting, if small.

We walked around the perimeter first and ran into an eye-catching structure made of bricks of green glass. It had steel doors flanked by two statues made of an odd, blistered metal I have never seen before. One was the symbol of the Walled Dye while the other depicted a dwarf slaying an elf. I entered the building and found the trappings of a small tavern. To my shock, instead of any dwarves inside, I found a reptile woman.

The tavern, The Glorius Adventure, was made in honor of Moldath bringing the blistered metal items; he hauled every bit of armour, weapon and shield from Coverashes to the forges as none of it would fit any adventurer (I tried with larger body types like grizzly bear men, and it was too small, so I reckon it must be sized for 100-110000 sized units). The statue is of Moldath slaying the Dark One Queen Vafice Lutecover.

And despite her protestations the reptile woman is indeed the tavern keeper. She started off as an armourer but all the armour she made was sized for reptile people and too small for dwarfs.

Why put this armory here? Were visitors intended to take from it. Is the fort’s materiel wealth so great that they can flaunt it like this?

If that floor impressed me, the next left me in utter awe. Again it was filled with bins, but instead of steel they held equipment made of the same blistered metal as the statues and… adamantine! The mythical blue metal! Light as a feather yet sharp as a razor and strong as the bones of the mountain! On pedestals around the room were named artifacts made of the same materials.

Of course, this bounty of blistered metal is for all adventurers of the Museum. There should even be some stuff sized for humans... I didn't have the foresight to make some gorlak-sized, though...

Back at the entrance proper, there were rows of statues representing the Walled Dye blueberry bush as well as the fort’s own symbol. Some interesting iconography there.

The image of the Scar of Ashes signifies the fort's purpose - to conquer Coverashes, drive out the forces of The Black, Udir, the death God of the fallen civilisation The Page of Tiredness, and harvest the riches within.

To the south was another grand room filled with various artifacts. A mosaic of a dwarven face decorated the floor. Beyond that, there was another door that opened into a narrow hallway. I tried to continue through it, but a shooting pain in my arm pierced through my drunken stupor.

I am sorry my meagre trap hallway dissuaded you from finding Ashcinders greatest treasure...

I am glad you did find some equipment you could use. Good luck on the remainder of your adventures!
« Last Edit: January 03, 2022, 06:54:12 pm by kesperan »

Bralbaard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1468 on: January 04, 2022, 04:21:02 am »

Great story on the exploration of Ashcinders!
The map has some truly great and complex fortresses, and it's great to see an adventuring journal that takes the time to describe a fortress and does justice to all the work that people put into their construction.
Also stuff like this helps me write out the short descriptions for the fortresses below the world map.

Bralbaard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1469 on: January 04, 2022, 03:26:59 pm »

Apparently we made it into the hall of legends!

Free drinks for everyone!
Pages: 1 ... 96 97 [98] 99 100 ... 263