Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 118 119 [120] 121 122 ... 263

Author Topic: Museum III, adventure succession game (DF 0.47.05)  (Read 409831 times)

tonnot98

• Bay Watcher
  • Damp stone located.
    • View Profile
Re: Museum III, adventure succession game
« Reply #1785 on: March 23, 2022, 08:01:33 pm »

I AM HERE!

I'll start playing tomorrow! Sorry about the delay. Any suggestions on what I should check out?
Not sure if dying of old age is an honor or a shame for weaponmasters. On the one hand, it means they never got the opportunity to die in glorious battle. On the other hand, it means nothing could beat them in glorious battle.
Meow.

Unraveller

• Bay Watcher
  • [DOES_NOT_EXIST]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1786 on: March 23, 2022, 08:59:25 pm »

I'm personally curious about reading more insight into the realm of the elves. We've had very few elven adventurers IIRC. Actually we've had very few goblin characters as well. Though by no means take those as anything more than my musing.
I've lost control of my life.

kesperan

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:rugged beard]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1787 on: March 24, 2022, 10:42:49 am »

We haven’t seen much of the elves since their Dark One queen was killed. They have a new Queen and Princess but they are not easy to find. The capital of Glacialtempests is largely empty. The elf population seems to have recovered somewhat since the rampage of the Apocalypse Bear.

They do seem to be at war with the humans of Mong Uthros, their neighbours to the southwest. Moldath encountered and slaughtered an elf war band in 859.

There is a rather interesting elven fort, Splashbeige, with a single elf master who has a huge number of books and artefacts, who has been visited by a number of adventurers in the past.

A few elven leads for you to consider…
Wow. I believe Kesperan has just won adventurer mode.

tonnot98

• Bay Watcher
  • Damp stone located.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1788 on: March 24, 2022, 11:15:12 am »

Two (very minor) things I've noticed with the OP: Artifact 20, Better nature, a cat parchment scroll calls Fidale a he instead of a she. Also the "constructed by" credits on a bunch of the later fortresses are missing.

Anyway..

Before you is a journal bound in grown feather wood and the pages are made from turkey parchment. It belonged to one "Yawo Rainstir."
Spoiler: Open the journal! (click to show/hide)

The elves of The Squeezing Ford usually have Burnt Umber skin and Pumpkin or other red/orange hair colors. It's a pretty odd mix, but they seem to be the defacto "dark elves" of this world. I've also been trying to talk to all the dwarves I see to make more historical figures in an attempt to alleviate the problem of fortress dwarves shuffling between new fortresses every five years. Or will this lead to other issues?

There is a rather interesting elven fort, Splashbeige, with a single elf master who has a huge number of books and artefacts, who has been visited by a number of adventurers in the past.
My goblin adventurer originally came from that fort, and was great friends with the woman that lived there! At least until she got thrown into a glowing pit...
« Last Edit: March 25, 2022, 07:29:19 am by tonnot98 »
Not sure if dying of old age is an honor or a shame for weaponmasters. On the one hand, it means they never got the opportunity to die in glorious battle. On the other hand, it means nothing could beat them in glorious battle.
Meow.

kesperan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1789 on: March 24, 2022, 03:24:25 pm »

There are a few dwarven hillocks near the northern mountains between the elf and human lands which have only recently sprung up after I built a new fort there.

Northmanor should be close by.

Poor Logem. It was inevitable.

Lurker Z

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1790 on: March 24, 2022, 05:42:56 pm »

The elves of The Squeezing Ford usually have Burnt Umber skin and Pumpkin or other red/orange hair colors. It's a pretty odd mix, but they seem to be the defacto "dark elves" of this world. I've also been trying to talk to all the dwarves I see to make more historical figures in an attempt to alleviate the problem of fortress dwarves shuffling between new fortresses every five years. Or will this lead to other issues?
Interesting about Ribiromimi physical characteristics, well it explains why half of them or more turned to Ala worship and why their civilization hosted at one time 5000 goblins.

On the other hand, they are originally nature worshipers and they still go around imposing wood quota. Speaking of their isolation, they made their way more than once in Iroram in the center of the world, so they shouldn't be that cut off.

They're the only race of elves in the world. Though I wonder if that would change if one would play an elf outsider...

Regarding historical figures, they get called to the capital all the time (if you're going to Ilrallenod, prepare to trigger another massacre and to have the blighted horde at your heels). The only thing it could alleviate, maybe, is the extra humans over dwarves ratio Adilatír is facing right now.

By the way, your char made a mistake regarding the Elven Dark Queen Vafice, she wasn't blighted, she was a resurrected undead. Not sure who fired first between her and Moldath though, I remember reading the text, but it was pretty vague and to me it boiled down to "Moldath see undead, Moldath attack undead now and ask questions never".
« Last Edit: March 24, 2022, 05:45:01 pm by Lurker Z »
Sigtext updated 13-03-2024.

kesperan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1791 on: March 24, 2022, 07:13:49 pm »

By the way, your char made a mistake regarding the Elven Dark Queen Vafice, she wasn't blighted, she was a resurrected undead. Not sure who fired first between her and Moldath though, I remember reading the text, but it was pretty vague and to me it boiled down to "Moldath see undead, Moldath attack undead now and ask questions never".

Moldath had become a fervent worshipper of Ala and he thought Vafice and all her necro experiments were an invading army out to destroy Mong Uthros, his new favoured homeland. She was rather suspiciously camped outside Trammeledjudges. This was the town that she had taken charge of after the Ribiromini had taken it from the Scholarly Manors in 345, during the War of Fists. It was during this war that she was slain and then corrupted by Thranan Echohails to be a puppet of Oddom Girdergrove (at least in Moldath's eyes).

In one way he was right to be concerned; the War of Routs begain in 838 under the banner of the new Queen of the Elves, reigniting a battle that was last waged seven hundred years ago. So... Moldath was totally right all along - in 859 he encountered an elven warband of the Moth of Pleating in the Mong Uthros village of Ferriedtwinkling, and slaughtered them all.

tonnot98

• Bay Watcher
  • Damp stone located.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1792 on: March 25, 2022, 04:17:22 pm »

The journey continues!
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Ancientknowledge is a laggy nightmare. The trees have grown too thick and the lag was unbearable. I spent an hour and a half slowly trudging through and still didn't find the fortress entrance.
Meow.

AvolitionBrit

• Bay Watcher
  • Funk to Funky
    • View Profile
« Reply #1793 on: March 25, 2022, 05:51:18 pm »

Interesting story, oh god yeah there are a few items with holyblood kills, there is a severed goblin hand somewhere with a number of kills. I think even my own severed hand had kills to it. Looking forward to the rest of your journey.
The return of the thin white duke, throwing darts in lovers eyes

Drunken scholar

kesperan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1794 on: March 25, 2022, 06:10:00 pm »

I've finally reached Glacialtempests, and I am quite disappointed. The abbott looks like he's been clueless for the last few centuries, the druid is shifty-eyed and smells of goblins, and the princess is quite fat.

You managed to find the princess and the druid? You've done better than me... I have been looking around for them and could only ever find the abbott. No sign of the new Queen though?

I travelled to the Hamlet of Snackbrews, and within it I found a gaunt-looking dwarf wearing a mask of copper. She warned me of some strangeness surrounding the fortress of Northmanor, they've been awfully quiet lately and there's been no news reaching the hillocks. She also mentioned that she and her husband were expelled after he stole a prickleberry. These dwarfs are quite strange with their laws, but I decided to investigate the fortress myself. Perhaps the dwarfs would be open to trade?

Ha! If these two are the dwarves I think they are, they are necromancer migrants from Ancientlibrary, who I ejected because my fort wasn't ready for any necro-shenanigans. Don't believe that story about the prickleberry!

A dwarven fortress is truly a sight to behold!

Ah, so you visited Northmanor. It's a work in progress. I have started on the obsidian tower for throwing goblins into the lava moat and we have everything we need for a steel industry, but I ran out of time, as usual.

I didn't find Ancientlibrary too bad when I was there last. That damned scorpion has been hoarding books from all over Orid Xem there and necrofying his population. If you are still near that island, you could pop over westwards to Relicward - there is loads of well crafted steel gear there which would fit an elf.

Enjoying the journey so far!

Unraveller

• Bay Watcher
  • [DOES_NOT_EXIST]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1795 on: March 25, 2022, 11:04:12 pm »

Very curious to see whether or not Yawo will indeed manage to return some sense of lost luster to The Squeezing Ford. The time of elves seems as if though it has long passed in Orid Xem
I've lost control of my life.

Lurker Z

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1796 on: March 26, 2022, 08:03:07 am »

For laggy sites, I suggest using jump when available. It's cut down my lag time by a lot, maybe half a minute per tile.

Loved the journey and the log, looking forward for more.

Very curious to see whether or not Yawo will indeed manage to return some sense of lost luster to The Squeezing Ford. The time of elves seems as if though it has long passed in Orid Xem

They had a revival in the 8th century, where they were the only race to truly mass-reclaim along Adilatir and their people moved from the sites of other races to reclaim their fallen retreats. Arcturus put a dent in their population, certainly, and Avolition if I'm not mistaken wiped out their goblin meat-shields (5000 of them I think?). So maybe it's not "long passed", but certainly they've had it rough for the last half a century. Their biggest problem, I think, is that they don't procreate much, though I had found some elves born (of actual parents rather than the void itself) in the 8th century. All in all it's bad, not that that bad. Hells, we've been propping Adilatir for over a century and a half, each fort probably has over 5 children born in, each fort has been generating at least 20 NPCs on founding and constantly generating NPCs out of the void, and the world still has only 700 total dwarves, as opposite to over 1700 elves. Ribiromimi is a colossal that's really hard to take down.

Since the subject is somewhat related, I was wondering about something: would it be a problem if we used the All Races Playable mod? Would it be world-breaking? I've tried it on a test save and it works pretty well with humans, the only problem I have encountered so far is that there don't appear to be noble positions (the noble screen is simply a blank black page).

Also elves would be really hard to play, they don't have mining (though maybe that could be modded back in?).
« Last Edit: March 26, 2022, 08:15:25 am by Lurker Z »
Sigtext updated 13-03-2024.

kesperan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1797 on: March 26, 2022, 08:32:43 am »

I know Bralbaard isn’t keen on mods in case they affect the stability of the save.

Having said that, didn’t we have an elf fort in the shape of a giant tree in the first Museum? Evertree?

In slightly related news, I’ve found a DFHack script that someone on the forums made which allows you to add or change your adventurers deity. This is useful for role play reasons as the only dwarves we can now generate are outsiders with no cultural history and who cannot worship a deity. It would also allow animal people to have a religion.

I tested it on a test save to successfully make Moldath a devout follower of Ala with no apparent repercussions. Thoughts?

tonnot98

• Bay Watcher
  • Damp stone located.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1798 on: March 26, 2022, 10:17:08 am »

That would be pretty good to aid in roleplay, like something happening where someone could even change their religion. I was also planning on using DFhack to allow Yawo to be able to find a mate after retiring. If he retires...
Meow.

AvolitionBrit

• Bay Watcher
  • Funk to Funky
    • View Profile
« Reply #1799 on: March 26, 2022, 10:31:10 am »

Would be nice to give animal men a chance to worship on of the gods of the world.
The return of the thin white duke, throwing darts in lovers eyes

Drunken scholar
Pages: 1 ... 118 119 [120] 121 122 ... 263