Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 57

Author Topic: Mostly Vanilla Mafia 2 / Game Over - Agent Eats Hot Dogs While Writing Report  (Read 33646 times)

FallacyofUrist

• Bay Watcher
  • Blatant furry. Also a hypnotist.
    • View Profile

Once upon a time, there was an old man. Traitors plotted against him, and he mustered his loyal forces to root them out. He and his forces were victorious, but he was old. He could bend minds, but his own body betrayed him. The person he was died. The smoke drifted away. Feline accessories were set aside. And his former supporters moved on.

But they'd never forget the events of those fateful days. Once a year, they'd meet up at an old manor that was formerly a property of old man Fallacy's. They'd share drinks and share stories. It was a time to reminisce. They were something like war veterans, with a bond forged of their shared experience.

The fools.

Evil hands folded together and donned masks. Infiltrators entered the manor.

A death game started once again.

This is Mostly Vanilla Mafia 2, a closed-setup game of forum mafia. I will be taking any number of players that want to join, but over 9 is preferable. Both new players and veterans are welcome to join - while everyone will have a power role (no boring Vanilla Townies and Mafiosos here), the hypercomplexity of games like BYORs will be absent. A few notes:

The game is called Mostly Vanilla Mafia because most roles will be vanilla and a few will be mostly vanilla. There's a difference between an Odd-Night Cop and a Pyromaniac Cop, after all. The existence of unusual role modifiers and combinations is something you'll have to watch out for - don't try to outguess the mod. The mafiascum wiki will have most or all of the role names you'll see in the game.

The days will not be allowed to drag on. In the interest of creating a game that doesn't drag on forever and leave players exhausted and unmotivated, I'm taking a few pages out of Wuba's book, with a few of my own touches. 72 hour Days, 24 hour Nights, no player-voted or caused extensions. Mod-instituted extensions in the event of a daykill, replacement, or meta-related reason - for something like exams or a player having a personal emergency - can still occur. Hammers will be in full effect (when the majority of players are voting a single target, the Day immediately ends, please stop posting after that point, and that player is lynched). I hope that this shift will produce a faster and more enjoyable game.

A few ability types are ruled out and will not appear in the setup. No manipulation of votes, and no alignment conversion. However, roles can still involve voting or the lynch (such as with a Mostly Vanilla 'Vindictive' modifier that means you can only target players who were voting you at the end of the previous Day, or a Governor that can make lynching a certain player impossible) and roles can still be changed without changing the alignment (with an Ice Cream Man or such). Additionally, just like in the previous Mostly Vanilla Mafia game, your role will not have any hidden modifiers - if you're a Cop, you won't secretly be Insane. It is possible for role flips to be obscured by a Janitor, but role flips will not lie (though let's be honest, this is just basic decency).

Here's an example list of vanilla and Mostly Vanilla roles, along with the alignments they would be given to.

Spoiler: List (click to show/hide)

Experienced players can volunteer to be Mentors, taking on the role of teaching new or inexperienced players the mechanics and day-game of mafia. If you'd like to volunteer to be a Mentor, please note that in your 'in' post. You don't have to be a Mentor at all, and I'd rather not have the majority of experienced players in the game be Mentors. If you're a Mentor, you may post in the thread after death to offer unbiased day game advise meant to be usable by most or all living players. If you're a mafia Mentor, you may also continue sending messages to your mafiachat after death to provide strategic advice on how to effectively deceive the town during the Day game. Nobody chose to be a Mentor, so this is irrelevant.

More minor notes:
-When it comes to resolving actions, I'll do my best to use Natural Action Resolution principles as per the page on the mafiascum wiki. In the event that two actions of the game priority level clash, like with two kills or two role blocks, I'll use random.org and roll initiative to see what order they resolve in.
-After your death, you may post one 'bah' post to the thread containing no game-relevant information unless your role empowers you to do such. You will gain access to the deadchat at this point. I reserve the right to use a Medium role, so watch what you say while dead. If you are revived after gaining deadchat access, you lose deadchat access - since I can't revoke the link, it's honor system for this. Post-death revivals will be quite rare, and might not even be present at all, however.
-Don't edit your posts, even to correct spelling mistakes. (Just a reminder for new players)
-Try to be decent to your fellow players. I'm not going to come down with my mod hammer if you start insulting someone's play, but at least be constructive about it?
-Don't directly quote PMs or quicktopic statements from the mod in the thread. If you have access to a 100% alignment-confirmed quicktopic, such as a mason chat or the mafiachat, you are allowed to directly quote mod PM statements in it. Otherwise, just don't. You may quote statements the mod makes from the thread, in the thread. (Things like vote counts, rules from the first post, etc) If you need to share information from your action results, private clarification questions, or role PM in thread, paraphrase!
-Flavor is intended to be mostly irrelevant. The sole exception is death flavor - you are definitely allowed to infer different death sources if after the Night two players are dead - one frothing at the mouth and the other from gunshots.

Playerlist:

List of replacements:
  • Jim Groovester
  • heydude6

That one guy watching the chaos from outside the game with a pair of binoculars:
4maskwolf
« Last Edit: February 01, 2021, 03:45:32 pm by FallacyofUrist »
Generic Arms Race.

Would you like to play a game of Mafia? The subforum is always open to new players.

Luckyowl

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • https://imgur.com/a/Bjjtz.png
Re: Mostly Vanilla Mafia 2: Has Fallacy Gone Sane? (0 / 9+)
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2021, 09:58:25 pm »

Finally a normal mafia. I'm In

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Mostly Vanilla Mafia 2: Has Fallacy Gone Sane? (1 / 9+)
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2021, 10:09:06 pm »

Nooo, no mentors. We already have a BM!
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

webadict

• Bay Watcher
  • Former King of the Mafia
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2021, 10:24:53 pm »

Sure, I'll in.

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2021, 10:26:33 pm »

I’ll PTW for the time being.
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
Re: Mostly Vanilla Mafia 2: Has Fallacy Gone Sane? (2 / 9+)
« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2021, 10:49:25 pm »

Oh sure; I'll give it one more chance before I decide I'm too old for this.

In.
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
Re: Mostly Vanilla Mafia 2: Has Fallacy Gone Sane? (3 / 9+)
« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2021, 10:55:10 pm »

When do signups end?

heydude6

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2021, 10:56:17 pm »

Chain Vigilante (serial killer)
(Auto) Kill Chain: If you successfully performed a kill action the previous Night, you cannot be roleblocked or protected against. If you successfully performed a kill action the previous two Nights, your kills pierce kill immunity.
(Night) Kill [target]: You shoot your target to death.

Is that a jab at me?  :o
Lets use the ancient naval art of training war parrots. No one will realize they have been boarded by space war parrots until it is to late!
You can fake being able to run on water. You can't fake looking cool when you break your foot on a door and hit your head on the floor.

FallacyofUrist

• Bay Watcher
  • Blatant furry. Also a hypnotist.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2021, 11:02:45 pm »

When do signups end?
Let's say... When nobody signs up to the game for two days straight (after I reach the minimum). I can't really give a fixed deadline because I don't know when people will stop signing up. I do want to get this rolling relatively quickly though, my college semester is starting soon. And the sooner I start, the less likely it is that my assignments and running / playing mafia will conflict.

Is that a jab at me?  :o
Lol no, I came up with that example role independently of BYOR 15's mess. I'm trying for mostly vanilla mafia, not 'Fallacy's Ultra High Power RPG BYOR Mafia'.
Generic Arms Race.

Would you like to play a game of Mafia? The subforum is always open to new players.

juicebox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 12, 2021, 11:13:33 pm »

I'll in

Jim Groovester

• Bay Watcher
  • 1P
    • View Profile
Re: Mostly Vanilla Mafia 2: Has Fallacy Gone Sane? (4 / 9+)
« Reply #10 on: January 13, 2021, 12:57:33 am »

I'll watch this one. I'll debate playing but my ability to play has dropped dramatically since the start of the new year.
I understood nothing, contributed nothing, but still got to win, so good game everybody else.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 13, 2021, 12:59:53 am »

I will in if the BM finishes in time/winds down a little/whatever.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

Secretdorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 13, 2021, 01:25:42 am »

I will in if the BM finishes in time/winds down a little/whatever.
^

Caz

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:comforting whirs]
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 13, 2021, 07:20:08 am »

PTW :)

TricMagic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 13, 2021, 10:06:53 am »

Eh, IN. Maybe I'll be a vig, though be hard to reach heydue's fame.?

And yeah, if you are a beginnner, might not want to be in two games at once. [Looks at Luckyowl being in a potential 3.]
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 57