Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 19

Author Topic: [50.01][Class+Prem] Highfantasy Mod System 1.5.08: The True Names of Things  (Read 58767 times)

kiiranaux

• Bay Watcher
  • , who choked on [PRO_POS] own ambition!
    • View Profile

Tagging Philia castename and Calamity maxages for the next version, they are not supposed to have one.

Plump: that's helpful. I strongly suspect this is related to the "crude" clothing introduced by Sver (not the same as the "rudimentary" clothing used by kobolds). Good guys, kobolds, hobgoblins don't use crude clothing, but I think everyone else does. And frostbite is related to clothing coverage amount - I bet the amount for crude clothing is too low. Will look into it.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2021, 12:51:44 pm by kiiranaux »
The Highfantasy Mod/Pack. Civs, Creatures, Systems, Balance.

kiiranaux

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Version 1.0.3 is live!
This version cleans up demon megabeast spheres and spreading evil, and banditry for civilizations. It also ports a few bugfixes from the dwarven domestic animals mod and brings new features from Splint's Vanilla Expanded v9 (see Materials). Most importantly, it addresses code related to the "Tyrant" positions for multiple civs, which have been removed - explanation below.
This version does not introduce any changes that would substantially necessitate a new world if already invested.
However, many raw files and a couple speech files were changed from 1.0.2. Sorting raws by date (Aug 19 + 26-27) will show those and save a full install if desired.

v1.0.3
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Ongoing efforts:

Player questions:
Has anyone hit cavern layer 3 yet? Currently, it's a bit lacking in HF, since the mod was balanced around a bunch of Uppercase Dinos living there, but then I disabled them by default. It's kindof barren right now with spiders, dryders, and the deadly visitor. I'm thinking of adding ZM5's Dementia creatures (from Lurks Below) as another optional module?
« Last Edit: August 28, 2021, 12:39:18 pm by kiiranaux »

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile

I personally vouche for What Lurks Below in general.

Hopefully everything that's been frontported from V9 of SVE works properly, been a while since I messed with the glazes and its entirely possible I lost something during the mod reorganization.

PlumpHelmetMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Try me with sauce...
    • View Profile

I say go for it! In general, WLB has some fantastic creatures.
It's actually pretty terrifying to think about having all of your fat melt off into grease because you started sweating too much.

kiiranaux

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Yep! I've been playing with it and the integration is really smooth. I'm looking forward to releasing it, but will take a bit longer to "swallow." I'm adding some crossplay with Spellcrafts and Highfantasy in general, as usual. Adding larger sets of content isn't something I'm planning to do often, but this one is a great fit.

PlumpHelmetMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Try me with sauce...
    • View Profile

Think I found another bug that I figured I should report. I enabled the cavern dinos just out of curiosity for my latest world, and it appears that they still show up as domesticated animals for aboveground civs like in the "vanilla" Primal mod. Kinda spoils the HFS mood I was hoping to create with them. :P
« Last Edit: September 02, 2021, 03:42:41 pm by PlumpHelmetMan »
It's actually pretty terrifying to think about having all of your fat melt off into grease because you started sweating too much.

kiiranaux

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Plump,

Version 1.1.0 is live!
This version includes what is hopefully the final major addition to the mod in the form of key parts of ZM5's "What Lurks Below," adding fleshy, eldritch horrors to the third subterranean cavern layer. This fills the final to-do item of the mod as originally conceived by adding an eldrazi-inspired brood. As always with highfantasy, these creatures are integrated into the existing entities and this version has a clean errorlog. The version also includes the following:
-adds mundane animals from Voliol's Various Vivants
-cleans up the acquisition of foci for each of the 5 spellcrafting schools
-gives a major racial advantage to lizal and green dragonic things
-cleans up bugs related to the optional files, ensuring all optional files play well with the default files
As a major release, Highfantasy 1.1.0 includes changes such that starting a new save file is strongly recommended. The mod will continue to be updated with bugfixes as needed and, after the premium release, graphics.
Many raw files but no data files were changed from 1.0.3. A fresh installation into the raw folder is recommended.

v1.1.0
v1.1.01

Ongoing efforts:
« Last Edit: September 03, 2021, 05:20:46 pm by kiiranaux »

PlumpHelmetMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Try me with sauce...
    • View Profile

Yay more HFS!

Speaking of ZM5, would there be any complications to me adding ZM5's "Lands of Duality" mod on top of this or would that mess up the balance you've worked on so carefully?

kiiranaux

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Is ZM5's "Lands of Duality" compatible with this mod?
Yes! There will be errorlog errors but no significant bugs.

Can I add the rest of ZM5's "What Lurks Below" to this mod?
No, that will cause real and gamebreaking bugs including list-shift errors. You can copy unsued creatures over but don't drag and drop the files.

More thoughts:
« Last Edit: September 07, 2021, 09:36:48 pm by kiiranaux »

Sanguis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Highfantasy Mod/Pack 1.1.01: Civs, Creatures, Systems, Balance (Major)[47.05]
« Reply #39 on: September 07, 2021, 02:41:41 pm »

I am really grateful for this modpack. May I ask if it is compatible with legends viewer?

kiiranaux

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Highfantasy Mod/Pack 1.1.01: Civs, Creatures, Systems, Balance (Major)[47.05]
« Reply #40 on: September 07, 2021, 09:42:30 pm »

Thank you for the kind words Sanguis!

Is Highfantasy compatible with Legends Viewer?
Yes. To avoid DFHack installation bugs, I recommend using Legends Viewer "the old way", per its forum page:

--------------------------------------------------------------------

Updated the front page with compatibility information and some more general information.

Updated post #3 with a full breakdown of the Lineage system and how to play as your desired adventurer. This doesn't need a re-install, it applies to any version of the mod you're already playing; it's just the explanation.
« Last Edit: September 07, 2021, 11:55:49 pm by kiiranaux »

DwarfStar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: September 12, 2021, 12:39:04 pm »

I started a dark gnome fort a while back (v1.0.1) and I had a problem that I wasn't really anticipating. I understood that I would have very few weapons to choose from, but what I didn't realize is that being unable to produce axes meant, no access to wood. Is that intentional? I eventually got all the wood I needed after the first small invasion, that I was able to overwhelm with golems, brought an axe that I was able to use. I am fine with dark gnomes being meant to be a high difficulty, but it's hard to role-play this particular limitation. Do these gnomes, who are talented enough machinists to be able to build golems, really not have the technology to fell trees? Or did I just miss some reaction that would have let me build some kind of axe?

I'd suggest going one of two ways with it:

1. Give the dark gnomes some kind of poor-quality axe like stone or bone axes so they can chop wood.
2. Completely eliminate wood from the dark gnome reactions, even removing the carpenter, ashery, and wood burning workshops. They would need stone beds or something like that. This would raise the difficulty further since they would have no access to potash or charcoal.

I looked over the release notes for the versions since v1.0.1 and didn't see anything about this, but my apologies in advance if you've already addressed this.

kiiranaux

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: September 12, 2021, 04:56:09 pm »

Hey DwarfStar, thanks for the great feedback!
Lacking axes, gnomes lack access to wood without invasions or trades.
It's intended behavior that gnomes not have the axe as a weapon, but not intended for them to lack wood. I appreciate you pointing out that this leads to un-fun gameplay and is not a flavor match either.

In the short term, this is a great time to talk about ModestMod's Custom Reactions - which you can use for any civilization regardless of what version you're playing on!

In the long term, for the next bugfix update, I have some other ideas. (Which might be a while, since there is nothing I need to work on that I know how to fix, and no other pressing needs or polish issues...and I want to let everyone play with their worlds and get more feedback on the balance in 1.1.01, and there's only one more polish/fluff thing I want to work on).

I will also do a pass over every civilization to make sure they all have the ability to at least craft an axe (except maybe elves). I was careful to make sure that everyone can craft either a pickaxe or a mattock, because not having the option at all is not fun, regardless of flavor, as you pointed out.

DwarfStar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: September 12, 2021, 05:31:39 pm »

Well, honestly it wasn't all that un-fun, since the gnomes that didn't get beds from the deconstructed wagons didn't seem to mind too much. It was an interesting challenge not having wood, so I rushed magma and built copper pots, cages, and bins. It's more of a role-playing problem of trying to imagine the gnomes coming across an axe for the first time, saying "what is this wizardry?" In that scenario it's hard to reconcile them then having advanced carpentry skills.

kiiranaux

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: September 12, 2021, 05:58:45 pm »

It's more of a role-playing problem of trying to imagine the gnomes coming across an axe for the first time, saying "what is this wizardry?"

You should sig this, I'm laughing myself to death!

Updated post #3 with some more information about the cavern creatures and reorganization. This doesn't need a re-install, it applies to the current version; it's just the explanation.
« Last Edit: September 13, 2021, 05:52:17 pm by kiiranaux »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 19