Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18 19

Author Topic: [50.01][Class+Prem] Highfantasy Mod System 1.5.08: The True Names of Things  (Read 58739 times)

kiiranaux

• Bay Watcher
  • , who choked on [PRO_POS] own ambition!
    • View Profile
Re: [50.01][Class+Prem] Highfantasy Mod System 1.5.00: The True Names of Things
« Reply #240 on: December 24, 2022, 04:35:40 pm »

In the variation file only, no need to touch the creature.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
The Highfantasy Mod/Pack. Civs, Creatures, Systems, Balance.

Urist the CaveBear

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #241 on: December 24, 2022, 06:11:23 pm »

So I haven't started a fortress yet, but I've been generating worlds and poking around the Embark interface.  I can confirm some reports I've seen that "Digging Implements" seem to have been replaced by various types of weapons for various civs - I'm guessing this is some sort of issue akin to raw-dupes, but I'm not an experts.   Perhaps weirder is this "Dwarven" civilization I found, the Bisexual Bastards, which is typed as Dwarven in the civilization list, and has 7 dwarves available for its embark, but it's whole domestic Animal list is distinctly Goblin.  I have no access to dwarven domestic creatures, and in fact can embark with a wide range of hunting and war-trained cavern creatures - mononoke of various stripes, Beak Dogs, slimespawn, something called a "Sustainer" (which sounds deeply Sinister), and most interestingly, "Rival Goblins".  Out of curiosity, I tried embarking as the other Dwarven civilization in this world, the Gopher Fence, and they also demonstrate the Digging Implement bug, but have a standard Dwarven domestication list.  Just some notes. 

kiiranaux

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #242 on: December 24, 2022, 07:14:27 pm »

What you discovered was an alt-civ of "dwarven scratchlings", a 16% chance to replace a goblin civ. It's a new thing. Most likely there's a true dwarven civ around your world somewhere. Annoyingly, the creature descriptions are hidden in Unit -> Health -> Description, which is unfortunate since hf encourages the player to constantly examine descriptions to learn things such as, for example, my expedition leader had celestial lineage.

Re the digging implement bug: I just encountered that myself and it's a real problem. I don't fully understand the bug, which is vanilla caused, but there's a really obvious solution that I'm working to code now. I'll almost certainly release that, with the first graphical update, tonight EST.
Also, I need to check this, but I'd be willing to bet that using an embark profile (place the file in prefs) gets around this. hf's dwarf embark profile includes a copper pick. I'll report back once I tested this.

You should keep that world. A civ of dwarves named the Bisexual Bastards who reject dwarven standards? Are you kidding me? That's legendary. I'll confirm later that these changes (include the digging implement fix) don't require a new world.
« Last Edit: December 24, 2022, 07:32:27 pm by kiiranaux »

kiiranaux

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #243 on: December 24, 2022, 07:50:40 pm »

The new version can be downloaded which provides a workaround for this new vanilla digging implement bug. You don't need to generate a new save. Wagon wood, from deconstructing your wagon, can be used to craft a pickaxe (3 times) at the CARPENTER's workshop.
« Last Edit: December 25, 2022, 12:31:00 am by kiiranaux »

kiiranaux

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: [50.01][Class+Prem] Highfantasy Mod System 1.5.01: The True Names of Things
« Reply #244 on: December 25, 2022, 12:29:48 am »

Version 1.5.01 is live. Very few changes. Best of all, this gave me the opportunity to confirm how the save-refresh feature works. It's laid out in the file, but here's a summary:

UPDATING YOUR SAVE (ALL VERSIONS): Happens automatically. When you go to load your save, a newer compatible version will be detected. Select "update" when prompted.

And here's the very brief changelog. You don't need to generate a new world.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Graphics are going well. We'll release some crucial ones tomorrow.

Urist the CaveBear

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #245 on: December 25, 2022, 07:23:04 am »

"You should keep that world. A civ of dwarves named the Bisexual Bastards who reject dwarven standards? Are you kidding me? That's legendary."

Are you kidding me?  There's no way I'm not playing them.  Working on the Embark right now. 

Very cool you were able to get the save-refresh for updates working so easily - brave new world for Dwarf Fortress modding. 
Some additional notes on the weirdness that is the Bisexual Bastards' embark screen, there appears to be no access whatsoever to drinks for the Dwarf Scratchlings.  Food is there, but no drinks of any kind.  Also, there are two separate "Beak Dogs".  Both have male and female varieties, as well as hunting and war-trained variants of both, it's like the entries are doubled up.  (After digging around in the Creatures portion of the Symbol designer during Embark, I'm wondering if these aren't Beak Dogs and "Diseased" Beak Dogs)  Finally, we can embark with "Rival Goblins" as pets - I know these are like slaves for the Naga and are an intended part of Goblin civilization, are they an intended part of the Scratchling's identity as well?

Also Also - I notice they seem to be using a different Dwarven Langauge than the one I'm used to (not just that there are more words, I know that HF adds new languages and expands existing ones), do Scratchlings speak a different language than "proper" dwarfs, or does HF randomize the vanilla dwarf tongue?

Ooooh, apparently these guys are tribal and pre-metallurgical?  I'm not... sort of makes this bronze-ore embark... err, difficult. 
« Last Edit: December 25, 2022, 08:49:51 am by Urist the CaveBear »

kiiranaux

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #246 on: December 25, 2022, 10:30:05 am »

Urist - everything you mentioned is an intended feature ;) Check the readmes, civilization gameplay, for goblins. Because the "alt civs" don't actually increase the total civ count past 14, they just mean that once in a while one of your 14 isn't quite... right.

My first time embarking with that civ a year ago, I failed to find a water source and all my captured rivals died. Which hampered the work efforts rather considerably.

Urist the CaveBear

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #247 on: December 25, 2022, 06:17:02 pm »

That's all very cool - I was starting to get the impression they were goblins wearing Dwarfs as a shirt or something. 
I saw Bright Orcs during another world-gen. 

It would be nice if there was some menu nesting in some of the places where the MOD has added very large numbers of crafting options.  For instance, the Smithy, putting all of the two-handed weapons under an umbrella, all of the throwing weapons under another.  Maybe even doing it by Axe/Sword/Polearm etc. given the new plethora available. 

Update: Three Horns the Hobgoblin Outpost wiped out by Agitated Giant Badgers. 
« Last Edit: December 26, 2022, 05:04:35 am by Urist the CaveBear »

kiiranaux

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #248 on: December 26, 2022, 10:07:53 am »

Hah!

I wish I could. I worked really hard to get what menus I could cleaned up, and though I'm sure I've missed a few, it just so happens that you don't actually create the reactions for weapons - they are hard-coded. So the game just understands "oh this is a weapon, it should be craftable from iron (occasionally also obsidian) at XYZ workshops." Same with armor, clothing, etc.

Urist the CaveBear

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #249 on: December 26, 2022, 10:23:21 am »

Totally understandable, and ultimately not that big a deal as long as you interact with your smithy through the Manger's Work Orders.

In other news, I've been try to use the Goblin Corpse Still to make Blood so my Hobgoblins can alloy Orichalcum; but they just keep processing mussel shells and bones into "Liquid", which I now have several barrels of.  I did manage to make a barrel of Fermented Meat, so that Reaction seems to be working the way I'd expect.

« Last Edit: December 26, 2022, 01:22:25 pm by Urist the CaveBear »

Vanzetti

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #250 on: December 26, 2022, 02:55:11 pm »

Just to report. I tried to embark with Orcs, found out I can get Dark Elfs as pets for 1 point each, and they are being added to the citizens tab. So, that's interesting. Not sure if intended?  ;)

kiiranaux

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #251 on: December 26, 2022, 04:16:59 pm »

Working as intended except for the point value, which I'll fix today.
Recommend reading that creature's description when you're in game.
Generally recommend reading everything's description in highfantasy. (Health -> Description. It used to be much more in your face in old DF.)

Urist the CaveBear

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #252 on: December 26, 2022, 07:47:53 pm »

The division of Creature Descriptions into 3 or 4 separate tabs is one of my least favorite interface tweaks they've made. 

I'm setting up a Dwarven embark right now - and it looks like some of the graphics for the expanded Dwarven domestics have got mixed around.  Particularly, the Aquifer Turtles appear to be some kind of vampire bat creatures, and the sloth-bats appear to be poultry. 
« Last Edit: December 26, 2022, 08:35:31 pm by Urist the CaveBear »

kiiranaux

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #253 on: December 26, 2022, 09:40:34 pm »

That's fixed for tomorrow - good catch. I reviewed the rest of them and they should be correct now too.
« Last Edit: December 27, 2022, 12:02:24 am by kiiranaux »

Vanzetti

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #254 on: December 27, 2022, 03:24:46 am »

Ripping out the mononoke is a bit harder but I think you can do it by removing "pet" and adding "underground_depth:4:4" in the same file in the variation for civ users.

Can you give an example, please?
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18 19