Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Musical instrument discussion thread  (Read 1383 times)

None

• Bay Watcher
  • Forgotten, but not gone
    • View Profile
Re: Musical instrument discussion thread
« Reply #15 on: October 26, 2021, 10:41:09 am »

I played French horn in High School and honestly miss the ability to blast a room with noise. The harmonica just doesn't have that power.

That's why the instrument points backwards, so our sonorous blapping is absorbed by the impertinent trumpet section! I cut my teeth on a trumpet, so I probably play the horn like one or behave like a trumpet player anyways, for better or worse. Fail fast, fail loud, right?

I love music but I dunno, I've always lacked the discipline to learn how to play. I could manage a few chords by the time I was over the guitar but that's it. I totally appreciate the manual dexterity alone you have to practice and rehearse until it starts feeling natural and you're actually playing music instead of thinking about playing music. I just didn't want it that badly I guess.

Same, which is why I've had a midi keyboard and electric guitar hanging out in my closet for years. Just didn't have the interpersonal/educational demands to ever learn them with any measure of proficiency, and arseing myself to learn things is generally kind of difficult (hence all the IT certifications I never got). Scales, I could learn that. Discipline is a harder thing to learn, eh.

dragdeler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 26, 2021, 11:12:26 am »

Guitar is awful to learn IMO. Got one that is collecting dust. A roomy had drums once, that was fun, would probably sit down at the drums from time to time if there still were any were I live. Piano is learnable and useful but never bothered.  Do turntables count? I can match a beat.
let

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 26, 2021, 01:40:16 pm »

Guitar? Start with powerchording Nirvana. They didn't know how to play either, but it still sounds great.
Move onwards from there.
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479
Pages: 1 [2]