Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 26 27 [28] 29 30

Author Topic: Dominions 5 Round 06 - The end  (Read 29884 times)

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
Re: Dominions 5 Round 06 - Götterdämmerunging with renewed vigour
« Reply #405 on: November 01, 2022, 03:38:17 pm »

I think it might cause more damage than that, cumulatively, since units tend to hug the walls when the entrance is blocked. So maybe if the roll is made every time a unit steps on the flaming square, or finds itself on the square when round begins - I don't know the precise mechanic it uses. Hence I'd like to see it.

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #406 on: November 04, 2022, 06:22:37 am »

Oh, good. Everyone's dead. I'm out.

Azthor

• Bay Watcher
  • Doomy Dooms of Doom, Discount Sale!
    • View Profile
« Reply #407 on: November 04, 2022, 08:07:39 am »

Oh, good. Everyone's dead. I'm out.

I may have omitted I thought I could take you on in a pitched battle, but had to wear you down enough that the return damage would be acceptable.

I figured you were going AI or max aggressiveness; that you were likely to move into Ossuary, if so, due to fort arrangement.

And if not, it was the most mobile position for me to threaten the forts from.

Since I basically knew the exact details of what you could bring into the fight by now, and what you had been consistently neglecting to protect from, it went  about as expected.

That sure did not stop it from being tense, though.
« Last Edit: November 04, 2022, 08:17:52 am by Azthor »

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #408 on: November 04, 2022, 09:08:42 am »

Honestly, I didn't even change any orders in that army before sending it out. Just refilled whatever gems I could find and figured if I could get to the capital I'd burn the fort there. If not for the ghouls at Debiritha, I'd have burned that fort too - fort arson was my favourite pastime as of late.

Excellent preparation on your invasion. Full props there.

Azthor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #409 on: November 04, 2022, 11:12:55 am »

Honestly, I didn't even change any orders in that army before sending it out. Just refilled whatever gems I could find and figured if I could get to the capital I'd burn the fort there. If not for the ghouls at Debiritha, I'd have burned that fort too - fort arson was my favourite pastime as of late.

Excellent preparation on your invasion. Full props there.

Am working on a longer post, but seeing as this is my first "real competitive MP game of Dominions", how my first war was more of a grounded tug-o-war, and how different fighting AIs is (...) how would you say your side of the war felt like, militarily, specifically?

Suffice to say I was relying on a lot of second hand information, hypothesis and arena testing, all the way down to part of a bless that only paid off now.

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #410 on: November 04, 2022, 11:29:13 am »

Eh, I don't know what insight you're looking for. We didn't get to fight all that much, but you did all the right things, as far as I can tell.

Azthor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #411 on: November 04, 2022, 12:18:07 pm »

Eh, I don't know what insight you're looking for. We didn't get to fight all that much, but you did all the right things, as far as I can tell.

I believe, in the case of Fomoria (...) did the raids manage to feel overwhelming, the "counter raids" too risky, and the main army proper hard to tackle head on?

By “counter raids” I refer to the response to splitting up to deal with the raids.

For instance, I felt my tempo was a bit off across different parts of the engagement, even though it did the job; ie. the main army had a bit too large a delay to the front.

Azthor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #412 on: November 04, 2022, 12:28:41 pm »

Here is the diplomatic/strategic scoop:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #413 on: November 04, 2022, 12:40:49 pm »

Meh. I blame the other players for not seeing you as the bigger threat. And I believe I tried arranging a gank on everyone at one point or another. That I did not get any concrete response from any direction spelled the future situation for me pretty clearly.

Azthor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #414 on: November 04, 2022, 03:16:05 pm »

Meh. I blame the other players for not seeing you as the bigger threat. And I believe I tried arranging a gank on everyone at one point or another. That I did not get any concrete response from any direction spelled the future situation for me pretty clearly.

Now, that is something of a precarious statement, coming from someone who beat a main army from virtually every other player in the game with few losses, or who claims to have tried to gank virtually every other player at some point, isn't it?

Besides, I was backward in every regard conceivable, in the midgame.
« Last Edit: November 04, 2022, 04:13:56 pm by Azthor »

E. Albright

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #415 on: November 04, 2022, 03:33:18 pm »

Yes and no. Not every nation is equally threatening to every other nation. Forex, Fomoria is - all things equal - much more of an existential threat to R'lyeh than Kailasa is, right up until Kailasa hits a point when it can spam summoned SCs. Kailasa argued as much, at length. Ofc, the problem is that regardless of fundamental structural imbalances, all other things were very much not equal, and game-specific circumstances overrode generic home truths.

[And in fairness to Kailasa, they couldn't have the same perspective on individual circumstances w/in the game as the nations they tried to persuade, and had to rely more on generalities.]
« Last Edit: November 04, 2022, 03:36:04 pm by E. Albright »

Azthor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #416 on: November 04, 2022, 04:39:03 pm »

Yes and no. Not every nation is equally threatening to every other nation. Forex, Fomoria is - all things equal - much more of an existential threat to R'lyeh than Kailasa is, right up until Kailasa hits a point when it can spam summoned SCs. Kailasa argued as much, at length. Ofc, the problem is that regardless of fundamental structural imbalances, all other things were very much not equal, and game-specific circumstances overrode generic home truths.

[And in fairness to Kailasa, they couldn't have the same perspective on individual circumstances w/in the game as the nations they tried to persuade, and had to rely more on generalities.]

That lack of perspective is, however, a consequence of their style of diplomacy. And if we are entirely honest, the "you should all have known better!" is saltiness speaking.

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #417 on: November 04, 2022, 04:42:24 pm »

Not a terribly nice thing to say, imo.

Azthor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #418 on: November 04, 2022, 04:53:16 pm »

Not a terribly nice thing to say, imo.

On the diplomacy part: approaching things in a secretive and noncommital way might not bind you much, but it also comes with a slew of drawbacks - particularly when someone is doing the opposite work and creating large chains of relationships to start crossing information.

As for the saltiness bit, yes, I admit that was a little mean and apologize for the way I put it, but I do stand by the actual point proper: I don't think a perspective where I was the greater threat makes any sense/it feels like resentment speaking, rather than reason.
« Last Edit: November 04, 2022, 04:57:38 pm by Azthor »

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #419 on: November 04, 2022, 05:03:00 pm »

I clearly didn't see it that way. But I don't care to explain myself. It's of little import anyway.

You guys have fun with the rest of the game. Somebody with unhealthy online habits should PM me for the admin password, as I'm bound to pay less attention to this thread in the future.
Pages: 1 ... 26 27 [28] 29 30