Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12]

Author Topic: Roll to learn magic (5/8) Day 5  (Read 14761 times)

johiah

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Roll to learn magic (5/8) Day 5
« Reply #165 on: December 16, 2022, 02:26:51 pm »

Day 5, afternoon. Dusty?
(Turn 19, 3rd of day)

A breeze seems to be blowing clouds of dust in from the south.

That was an actual fireball!  Yay!

Celebrate with some jumping around and cartwheels.

Collect and eat some more pears.  Look around for more kinds of food to gather.  Collect some short straight wooden rods, like a foot in length, and a longer straight branch similar to a quarterstaff, a bit longer than Alice is tall.

While doing this, try to store more heat energy from the sun on my skin, like before.  Can I keep it around in my mana indefinately?

After all this, drag back some more wood for the fire.  Tomorrow will be a busy day.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Those are some really impressive cartwheels!

There's not too many pears left, now. Things get gathered, and left by your tent. You also stub your toe on a root. Ouch! Lose 1 health. Hunger is full. Locations updated.

While wandering, you don't spot any new forageables.

Same as before, taking heat from sunlight seems to be beyond you, but taking that heat as it impacts your skin is certainly doable. More importantly, you figure out how to make a kind of loop with your magic, keeping the heat moving in a circle indefinitely. At least until your control slips, and the construct falls apart. At least you manage to recover most of the energy? Lose 1 mana.

Dry wood gets gathered, stacked in with the existing piles near the smoking hut and the campfire.

All this physical activity has sure made you hot and sweaty. Your hand doesn't feel nearly as bad as before!

Spoiler: Nathan (click to show/hide)

Slowly spin my core again, only aiming to gather 1 mana total this time. Try to notice and catch the wisps instead of absorbing them. I'd like to pool the collected external mana together in a string and practice my Magic Edge spell with it, or uselessly release it if that's too much.

Try not to get carried away and go over 10 mana. I'd rather release it uselessly than go above 10.

The only conclusive findings you've come to are that pulling external mana into one's core for later use is entirely possible, and that this exterior mana should definitely not be controlled directly. Not only does trying to directly manipulate it give you piercing headaches and the feeling that snakes are writhing under your skin, but the stuff is also basically impossible to finely shape. Orders of magnitude harder than your personal mana, and the few wisps you manage to grab with your will rapidly dissipate beyond your grasp. Learning to perceive the external mana without directly manipulating it does seem entirely possible, as you draw a few wisps into your core you find yourself beginning to see them just before they enter rather than right at the barrier. Gain 1 mana. Lose 1 hunger.

Eli's cat ears seem to be trying to whisper secrets to you.

Well, I have these mana tendril things, I guess. And I think I saw somebody cutting stuff without directly cutting it. Or, well. You get the point.
Let’s see if I can figure out how to stab stuff with my mana tendrils? I mean, if it can interact with stuff, then it seems like the key would just be to make the tip pointy...
Also, the magic is in my body. Can I... I dunno, use it to reinforce my body? I think I have a rough idea of how muscles work, they’re kind of like tendrils, could I use the magic tendrils as extra muscles?

With a good bit of fiddling, you do manage to manipulate a tendril into having a point. It still doesn't seem to interact with the physical world, but you do manage to make it do something, at least. The tip of the tendril shimmers to your eyes when you focus on trying to make it split and apply force.

Still too new to things to even be able to confirm if it's possible, you at least grow massively more skilled in manipulating the energy. You also become able to see that body mana that Nathan was talking about, which kinda seems like on some level it already does what you were thinking of? You can't really control it, though. Also, running mana through your body for extended periods of time leaves part of it feeling numb and tingly. Lose 2 mana, 1 hunger.

Spoiler: Danni (click to show/hide)

Is it too late to join in? And how are we doing new adds, make actions for previous days or just drop-in at this moment?
(You're welcome to join. There's no bonus turns for late comers at the moment, just drop-in. Knowledge is relatively easily transferable, so it shouldn't be too much of a problem. Like Aaron, here, you'll be able to catch up to what Nathan is able to do fairly quickly.)

You wake up in a dust cloud, which is rather unpleasant as far as waking sensations go. Spitting dust from your mouth, you find yourself in a grassy field near a campfire and a rickety wooden shack of some kind. There are people nearby, fiddling with their hands and muttering under their breath.

Spoiler: Locations (click to show/hide)

One more turn, and then the nighttime turn. Unless told otherwise, I'll just skip past nights as I have been doing. If anyone wants to stay awake (beyond basic guard duty, if you want to do that,) they'll get a -1 to all rolls tomorrow but will get the extra turn. Just specify in your next action post.

Sorry for the delay in updating, 'twas finals. They have now been finished. Something I'm curious about, do y'all reach each others' turns or should I be including details like Danni appearing in the turn posts for people who are in the area to notice?
Quote from: AoshimaMichio
Oh no, you won't laser my death star.
On a fun note, all of the beds just starting disintegrating

Devastator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #166 on: December 17, 2022, 10:23:52 pm »

I would like a night turn this time, because it's time to watch mana regeneration or healing happen, and those happen at night.

Go head south to the twisty zone full of mana.  Keep a look around for any more gatherables.. there any weird materials around this way?

Try another bit of casting.  Can I seal off a wand from transferring heat magically?  Store heat in a wand by making it so heat can only enter or leave it magically?  If it can move around heat, can it block it?  Or only allow it to pass one way?

« Last Edit: December 20, 2022, 02:12:46 am by Devastator »

Nirur Torir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #167 on: December 19, 2022, 09:29:40 pm »

Spoiler: Nathan (click to show/hide)

"Fascinating. It seems that our inner blobs of mana spin when we sleep, drawing in external mana. I can almost see it as it comes in, but the process leaves me feeling crazy, and like I could learn the deepest mysteries of magic if only Eli's ears could talk."

Eat the smoked meat before it goes bad.
Practice casting Magic Edge. I'd like to be able to cast it quickly, and reliably get the same sized blades over both hands.
Try to create a basic martial arts style with dual Magic Edge hand blades. The style should be focused on speed and agility. For now, I should mostly practice without live blades cast so I don't stab myself, but I should also figure out a comfortable blade size, trying sizes from knives, daggers, and short swords.

Before sleep, tell everyone the basics I've figured out. IE, give everyone an in-character reason to know to try to learn something on my character sheet.

Something I'm curious about, do y'all reach each others' turns or should I be including details like Danni appearing in the turn posts for people who are in the area to notice?
I read them, but it would be fun to see major events explicitly called out like that.

techno65535

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #168 on: December 20, 2022, 05:45:40 am »

Spoiler: Danni (click to show/hide)

Danni coughs up the dust that got into her lungs before looking around. "Where...am I? This doesn't look like home..." At that comment though she goes cross-eyed for a moment, "Home? What was that again?"

She seems deep in thought trying to remember what and where home is.
... while being chased by axe-welding cats in the dark.
Scratch that, throwing-axe-wielding cats in the dark.
They're cute but my god that's terrifying.
GENERATION 10: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Glass

• Bay Watcher
  • Also known as the Chroniqler
    • View Profile
« Reply #169 on: January 03, 2023, 04:28:28 pm »

(Right, I haven’t been able to think of stuff to do for this. Exploring alternate physics isn’t really my thing, I’m afraid. So...)

Aaron is tired of this mess. He’s not sure what the deal with this experiment is, but he’s certain that it’s only going to be continued suffering for him.
As a result, he goes off to the side of the camp with his fishing rod, and carved some words into the ground:

LET
ME
OUT
Quote from: FallacyOfUrist (on Discord, 11/15/21)
Glass is, as usual, correct.
Yep, as ever, I bestow upon Glass the expected +1
I'm gonna say we go with whatever Glass's idea is.

johiah

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #170 on: January 13, 2023, 12:03:56 pm »

I probably won't be continuing this. I somewhat forgot about it over winter break and now my mom is in the hospital; I rather don't feel like updating again. Apologies.
Quote from: AoshimaMichio
Oh no, you won't laser my death star.
On a fun note, all of the beds just starting disintegrating
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12]