Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 33

Author Topic: CYOGTCG Wars - Team 2 (Team G) Design Thread  (Read 16528 times)

Stirk

• Bay Watcher
  • Full Metal Nutball
    • View Profile
Re: CYOGTCG Wars - Team 2 Design Thread
« Reply #15 on: September 07, 2022, 09:47:07 pm »

Reference: I don't plan to go too deep into most of the characters and stuff my cards will be based on, just know that Sweepers are Government made heavily-armored cannibals that only come out in the dead of night in order to keep the population down by 'sweeping up' anyone caught outside/with their door open.

In America we just call those guys the ATF.

*Card Name:Card Caster
*Card Picture:
*Background Color: Rainbow
Attack:
Hearts:
Stars:
Card Effect:
Flavor Text:
Metadata: "Load" a card from your hand when this card is played. The effect will depend in the loaded card in some way or another I'm sure. Would do flavor text but no room.
Reference: A magic gun from a story about space pirates and ships that have hands for some reason. There are talking cats and immortal cat girls too.
This is my signature. There are many like it, but this one is mine.

This is my waifu, this is my gun. This one's for fighting, this ones for fun.

notquitethere

• Bay Watcher
  • PIRATE
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 08, 2022, 01:49:08 am »

Card Name: Stygian Skiff
Card Picture:
Background Color: Blue
Attack: 1
Hearts: 1
Stars: 0
Card Effect: Boat. When you play this card, you may also play a ghost. When this card would enter the graveyard, shuffle it into your deck instead.
Flavor: The ferryman awaits us all.
Metadata: Low level card that synergises with Naval Shipyard and ghost cards, and hopefully the Nightly Sweep. Bad stats but it keeps coming back.
Reference: As in Charon's ferry

Failbird105

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 08, 2022, 10:11:31 pm »

One of the big plans I want to try and hit on going forward is really big 'hero unit' type cards that add special move cards to your hand or deck. Not yet though, definitely not yet. We don't have the star generation I'd want for something like that.

Stirk

• Bay Watcher
  • Full Metal Nutball
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 08, 2022, 10:21:22 pm »

One of the big plans I want to try and hit on going forward is really big 'hero unit' type cards that add special move cards to your hand or deck. Not yet though, definitely not yet. We don't have the star generation I'd want for something like that.

I kinda just wanted to make a 10 Star card that just says "You win lol"

Supernerd

• Bay Watcher
  • Currently experiencing fremdschämen.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 08, 2022, 11:48:14 pm »

Next design phase begins now!

As a one time event, Failbird105 may create 1 additional card this turn. This is done in order to even out the number of cards each team has. This will also be the last design phase before the first combat phase!
You arrive at a mysterious castle filled with people whose statements are always false. Which one do you vote for?

notquitethere

• Bay Watcher
  • PIRATE
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 09, 2022, 03:41:05 am »

I like the idea of the hero card. Here's another star generation card, that also has synergies with the sweep and the skiff:

Card Name: Restless Spirit
Card Picture:
Background Color: Grey
Attack: 3
Hearts: 1
Card Effect: Ghost. When this card enters the discard pile or flips upside down, gain 1 star.
Flavor:
Metadata: Intended as a star engine card that can make additional use of the Valley of the Kings region but is playable outside of it.
Reference: The card just references lost ghosts who need to be "put down"

Failbird105

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 09, 2022, 09:34:42 am »

I've got various ideas for cards I want to make, but do you guys have any functions you think I should try to aim for? I plan on hitting that Buildings niche for The City, but not fully decided what in particular to make the thing do.

notquitethere

• Bay Watcher
  • PIRATE
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 09, 2022, 10:34:49 am »

Makes sense. Make it yellow background and free to cost, and you'll be able to play it for free and have it replaced in the hand when in the City region. As for what it does... maybe an every-turn effect or static improvement effect, like healing or improving attack of cards in play. At the moment, it feels like we have a lot of weak cards, and a way to turn weak cards into strong cards with the sweep, but having other ways to improve our cards might be useful.

Alternatively, you could make something that improves Card Caster. I'm struggling to think of why you'd want to card cast*, as it doesn't seem to change the action economy. But what would make Card Caster more useful would be to have a card in play that has an effect which is triggered by other cards being played. Like, a terrain or building which has its stats improve every time a card is played, (or alternatively every time a card enters the discard pile). With that, casting a card would be a way to (at no extra cost) increase the number of cards being played.

*edit, I had a think more, and I guess card casting is a good way of mitigating any boardwipe actions. If you have one weak unit in play, you can card cast another weak unit instead of playing it. When the opponent wipes the board with an attack-all-cards type action, then instead of everything dying, your unit is instantly replaced. There might be other similar circumstances. I guess we'll find out when we see what the other team have.
« Last Edit: September 09, 2022, 10:37:24 am by notquitethere »

Stirk

• Bay Watcher
  • Full Metal Nutball
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 09, 2022, 10:46:17 am »

I've got various ideas for cards I want to make, but do you guys have any functions you think I should try to aim for? I plan on hitting that Buildings niche for The City, but not fully decided what in particular to make the thing do.

Star generation/Star Cost reduction would always help with the hero stuff.

*Card Name: Isekai
*Card Picture:
*Background Color: Rainbow
Attack:
Hearts:
Stars: 4+
Card Effect: Take a Banished card and summon it to the field. Double its Hearts and Attack. If it is destroyed at any point, return it to your side of the field on your next turn after it is destroyed. You may also summon up to two Waifu cards from your deck or hand.
Flavor Text: Isekai or "Otherworld" stories have been popular in anime and Light Novels as of late. Your opponent better be prepared to get Isekaid when you play this card.
Metadata: Something to work with banished cards to make poor Caster-kun not useless.
Reference: Isekai! Usually they're stories about loosers being reincarnated into a new world where they are super powerful and get girls. So this card makes them super powerful and gives them girls.
« Last Edit: September 09, 2022, 12:19:34 pm by Stirk »

notquitethere

• Bay Watcher
  • PIRATE
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 09, 2022, 10:50:29 am »

Double its Hearts and Stars.
Great card idea, but rather than stars (the cost of the card), do you mean star generation, or attack power?

Stirk

• Bay Watcher
  • Full Metal Nutball
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 09, 2022, 10:56:25 am »

Double its Hearts and Stars.
Great card idea, but rather than stars (the cost of the card), do you mean star generation, or attack power?

I meant attack and also haven't woken up yet.

notquitethere

• Bay Watcher
  • PIRATE
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 09, 2022, 11:06:25 am »

I thought as much! If this works out, in the next cycle we should create more banishment cards. Also good job on the Waifu support, that's an obvious place for improvement among our cards.

edit, oh and I can understand if you don't want to because of the card colour/theme pie reasons, but if Isekai was brown background colour, then we could cast it for half price in the Mire. As is, Gold has no region support (and is unlikely to get it, as it may be hard to distinguish from Yellow). Making it Rainbow and have it be the colour of the banished card would alternatively match Card Caster nicely.
« Last Edit: September 09, 2022, 11:13:47 am by notquitethere »

Stirk

• Bay Watcher
  • Full Metal Nutball
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 09, 2022, 12:20:22 pm »

I thought as much! If this works out, in the next cycle we should create more banishment cards. Also good job on the Waifu support, that's an obvious place for improvement among our cards.

edit, oh and I can understand if you don't want to because of the card colour/theme pie reasons, but if Isekai was brown background colour, then we could cast it for half price in the Mire. As is, Gold has no region support (and is unlikely to get it, as it may be hard to distinguish from Yellow). Making it Rainbow and have it be the colour of the banished card would alternatively match Card Caster nicely.

I'm not particularly worried about region support but fine, its rainbow now >_>

Failbird105

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 09, 2022, 07:09:59 pm »

I feel like making cards that do 'un-banishing' is kinda... removing the point of Card Caster in the first place? CC just kinda feels like a bit of an awkward card in the first place even if I can definitely see uses for it. If it banished a card directly for a time and then brought it back with buffs that'd feel less like it's just trying to rebrand a different cards entire niche.

*Card Name: Enkephalin Refinery
*Card Picture:
*Background Color: Yellow
Attack: 0
Hearts: High
Card Effect: Cannot Attack. At the end of each turn, gain a star.
Flavor Text: When technology rules all, energy is king.
Metadata:
Reference: In the Project Moon universe(Lobotomy Corp, Library of Ruina), Enkephalin is a combination drug and super-fuel

*Card Name: WARP Recovery Crew
*Card Picture:
*Background Color: Blue
Attack: High
Hearts:
Card Effect: When a card is banished while this is in your hand, you may play this card.
Flavor Text: WARP Tech can be messy, there's always a need for cleanup.
Metadata: Hopefully qualifies as a waifu, even if her hair-style and outfit makes her a bit androgynous
Reference: Bit of a tomboy, but still a girl.

I wanted to make a longer-term star generator sooner rather than later, and the WARP Crew both is more Waifu support, and works with the Banishment thing. I think next turn I'm going to try to make a bigger unit. We're kinda working with trash mobs at the moment.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2022, 08:35:53 pm by Failbird105 »

Stirk

• Bay Watcher
  • Full Metal Nutball
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 09, 2022, 09:47:21 pm »

I feel like making cards that do 'un-banishing' is kinda... removing the point of Card Caster in the first place? CC just kinda feels like a bit of an awkward card in the first place even if I can definitely see uses for it. If it banished a card directly for a time and then brought it back with buffs that'd feel less like it's just trying to rebrand a different cards entire niche.

That would just make it a better version of Card Caster wouldn't it? I figure if CC introduces banishing we could do stuff with it. This way we could introduce things like Tuck-Kun who banishes enemy cards it kills, preventing them from being used by graveyard effects and allowing us to summon it with Isekai.

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 33