Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 110 111 [112] 113

Author Topic: FBYOR 5 - Game Over - Learning From Disaster, As All Ends In Fire And Darkness  (Read 45256 times)

FallacyofUrist

• Bay Watcher
  • Blatant furry. Also a hypnotist.
    • View Profile

Quote from: Voting Board, Now Alphabetized

EuchreJack (6): TricMagic, Jim Groovester, notquitethere, NJW2000, Nakéen, EuchreJack
Jim Groovester (0):
Knightwing64 (0):
Nakéen (0):
NJW2000 (0):
notquitethere (3): TolyK, ToonyMan, ToonyMan
TolyK (0):
ToonyMan (0):
TricMagic (0):

No Execution (0):
Not Voting (2): Knightwing64, Knightwing64

6 to hammer.

In the end there is much uncertainty as to who is channeling the foul ritual of the Final Countdown. It's clear enough that there is no disagreement as to whether or not EuchreJack is a traitor, but while it is still being debated whether he is the ritualist, Nakéen reveals their true colors and helps EuchreJack sacrifice himself.

Much like with Vector, there's a strong hint of smugness on his avatar's face as it is obliterated by a bolt of deadly energy.

You all know what comes next.

EuchreJack's alignment was Mafia.

Nakéen's foul ritual completes, and a howling, dark wind washes over you all. Layers of protection are stripped bare, devil's warding rendered useless, protective nuts out of reach. Nobody survives but Nakéen, who watches your avatars all perish with a grim grin.

In the end, only bones remain, most of them crumbling to ash.

TricMagic, however, seems to be holding out far better than the rest of you. His avatar is dead, but death has stripped the disguise the game grants you all, and his bones refuse to yield. The flaming, skeletal dragon approaches Nakéen, and no matter how much impossibly strong dark energy they bring to bear, the avatar of flame and bone persists.

It is nearly disintegrated when it leans down and bites the head off Nakéen's avatar.

In the end no player remains alive, but that does not prevent TricMagic from smugly claiming the victory within the lounge of the fallen, which now includes all of you.

Knightwing64 points out that he was assigned enough flexibility to align himself with TricMagic at the very last moment, which is dutifully accepted by the Most Elder.

Game over. TricMagic (Serial Killer) and Knightwing64 (treated as Serial Killer Ally due to Uncertain Morality) win! All other players lose.

Scumchat here.

Deadchat here.

I kinda hate how this game went, but that's on me, and you all played it out amazingly despite my design faults. I'll post the roles and actions as far as I have them recorded eventually. I'll also post what your roles should have been, if they were flawed.
Generic Arms Race.

Would you like to play a game of Mafia? The subforum is always open to new players.

Nakéen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: FBYOR 5 - Game Over - Learning From Disaster, As All Ends In Fire And Darkness
« Reply #1666 on: November 10, 2022, 07:00:09 pm »

I still enjoyed the game despite its flaws. Thanks Fallacy!

Knightwing64

• Bay Watcher
  • The Most Handsome Bay12 Member
    • View Profile
Re: FBYOR 5 - Game Over - Learning From Disaster, As All Ends In Fire And Darkness
« Reply #1668 on: November 10, 2022, 09:05:06 pm »

Let’s gooooo

Nice job Tric, I love winning

NJW2000

• Bay Watcher
  • You know me. What do I know?
    • View Profile
« Reply #1669 on: November 10, 2022, 09:24:33 pm »

Thanks for running the game!

While there were not-great aspects, I'm pretty happy with the ending, Tric and especially KW deserved that win for hiding their SK status (scum did not deserve anything like a win, arguably performing the worst of the three alignments). Great showing from KW especially, I think this marks a pretty major development in their play.
One wheel short of a wagon

webadict

• Bay Watcher
  • Former King of the Mafia
    • View Profile
« Reply #1670 on: November 10, 2022, 09:26:33 pm »

My role felt like absolute shit, and I realized my entire existence in the game was only going to make the Mafia's job of winning harder.  And based on everything I'm seeing, I believe that was entirely correct.  My role couldn't do anything to help the Mafia, and in fact seems like it was built to actually be the SK-Ally?

The only thing I could actually do is die so that the Mafia could live one more Day.  It did not feel like a fun game for me.

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #1671 on: November 10, 2022, 09:43:34 pm »

In defense of the scumteam, our actions were sort of dictated by the roles that we got.

Granted, I personally played awfully on the first couple of days. Not sure how I should have played Day 2 differently. But my teammates played well to the roles they were given.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1672 on: November 10, 2022, 11:26:41 pm »

You know, the scum team may not have deserved to win, but aside from the WIN BOTAN our power roles were kind of ass due to redirects and randomizes making it so that nothing we did whatsoever would have a predictable result. We got specifically fucked multiple times due to nights being processed incorrectly.

Town made a choice to let Roden be wagoned D1, and also a choice to let my chainsawing Juicebawks and staging a fight with Nakéen influence your decision-making. You can say whatever you want but within the constraints of not being able to predict our own moves, a ton of inspects and an SK flying around, we weren't all that ineffectual within the context of what we had to work with. There were multiple double-voters and none of them were on our team.

Honi soit qui mal y pense :I

(all praise memelord Toon)
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

webadict

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1673 on: November 10, 2022, 11:27:38 pm »

In defense of the scumteam, our actions were sort of dictated by the roles that we got.

Granted, I personally played awfully on the first couple of days. Not sure how I should have played Day 2 differently. But my teammates played well to the roles they were given.
You know, the scum team may not have deserved to win, but aside from the WIN BOTAN our power roles were kind of ass due to redirects and randomizes making it so that nothing we did whatsoever would have a predictable result. We got specifically fucked multiple times due to nights being processed incorrectly.

Town made a choice to let Roden be wagoned D1, and also a choice to let my chainsawing Juicebawks and staging a fight with Nakéen influence your decision-making. You can say whatever you want but within the constraints of not being able to predict our own moves, a ton of inspects and an SK flying around, we weren't all that ineffectual within the context of what we had to work with. There were multiple double-voters and none of them were on our team.

Honi soit qui mal y pense :I

(all praise memelord Toon)
Absolutely.  I 100% agree that you guys played to your outs, considering that half the Town had confirmable Actions, and the other half had Action disruption.  There wasn't really anything to do here other than that.

It's not like you guys wanted to go for a Kill-less game.  I tried to kill someone.  You guys tried to kill someone.  I'm not entirely sure why every Kill Action had to be convoluted.  Why did my Kill Action have to involve using both of my Actions, AND NEED TO HAVE A SOAKED TARGET?  Why did NQT's Kill have to involve counting down from 20?

I'm really confused.  I'm really mad.  I'm really frustrated.  Those are my feelings.  This is not to disparage you, Fallacy, and I thank you for running the game.  I'm really just explaining exactly how I felt playing the game.  Those aren't really constructive criticism, though, so I'll try to explain what made me feel all of those.

The first is that the game kept... going... slowly.  Days did not have exact ending times, which meant that the Days weren't 72 hours; they were more like 3.5-4 days.  Nights had the same issue.  Nights weren't 24 hours but usually 48.  This is really just a time issue, but it's one that severely affected the game's pacing.  I think if you were to run this game again, you need to give the Day a hard ending time of 72 hours.  Once that time is hit, no more discussion.  End of story.  End of Day.  If you have to, give a quick "X is voted out, here's their role" and then add flavor later.  It'll let people do Night Actions faster, and Nights should be shorter, too.  I know you're busy, but if you put a time, I'd rather be told "Night will end in 48 hours" than "Night will end in 24 hours" followed by "Processing actions" 12 hours later followed by 12 hours later the Day starting.  I feel like morale gets crushed when you extend Days and Nights, and I would rather get stomped fast by an active Town than win slowly because the Town gave up.  Having hard end times is pro-Town (except Day ends, which is pro-scum, because they can vote shift at Day end, but it loops back to pro-Town because otherwise, scum are incentivized to do nothing at Day end and not engage.)

Second, ties should be decided by the Mafia.  Shortens games, and makes the Town come to decisions better.  This is also beneficial to scum, because vote-shifting is a legitimate strategy for scum to employ.

Third, I am unsure what my role was intended to do.  Was Soaked meant to do more?  Was On Fire meant to do more?  My Protection felt so painful to use, because it's a double-Protect, which means I need to use it on scum or it potentially makes their Mafiakill useless  (I can't really turn it off, now can I?)  My Inspection Immunity felt bad because I have to outguess who's going to get Inspected, and it's not like I'm going to be able to make that Action do something useful, or sound like a Townie Ability.  It has pretty niche uses, but why couldn't I... I dunno... steal their Inspection results?  Why was my Kill being tied to two Actions and required the target to not be targeted in a game where everyone has Abilities with a really weird roleblock mechanic?  Soaked felt like a way for me to have multiple ways for my Kill to fail, instead of giving me more ways to potentially succeed.  What Abilities would I need to drain a random usage from, and why couldn't I learn what the Ability I drained was?  I felt like being given a randomization tool was horrible, when I had no idea where the Action would end up targeting.  Did everything truly need to be 1-Shot?

Overall, it felt like I was given a Swiss Eevee Knife in a game where everyone gets Vorpal Blades, and when I unfolded the tools, they were all rusted sporks, so I tried to give myself Tetanus so the Mafia wouldn't kill me.  I could only use my own brains to find the Mafia and help them as best as I could, and I eventually settled on the Mafia being EuchreJack, Vector, and NQT, so I tried to vote myself out so that I could get out of their way and hope they could kill someone now that my Abilities were pointless.  I mean, had I not been voted out, I would've randomized Nakeen.

I dunno.  I'm just unsure of what my role was intended to do.  I had to find the Mafia myself, learn what their Abilities were myself, use my Abilities to help them with that information, cover for the Mafia as best as I could off of this, AND avoid being on their murder list.  I didn't want to do all that, so I chose death instead.

I'll shorten third to I felt like I was being given multiple ways for my role to fail instead of multiple ways for my role to stand out.  It's a lesson I sometimes forget when I make a role, where I make a role that is explicitly made to cover for some weaknesses and strengths in other roles, but I'm not even really sure how I covered for the Mafia's weaknesses or the Town/SK's strengths.  I got an Ability that sets people On Fire, which seems to only be a mechanic used by the SK.  And I couldn't even target it.

webadict

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1674 on: November 10, 2022, 11:37:05 pm »

Also, fourth, and most importantly, why weren't my Abilities the names of Pokemon Moves?

I could've had Surf for Vaporeon.
Thunder for Jolteon.
Fire Spin for Flareon.
Confusion for Espeon.
Umbreon... Could use... Uh... Sand-Attack?  Or maybe even Moonlight?  I dunno, this one's weird.
Leafeon could be Leech Seed.
Glaceon could be Mirror Coat, I guess.
Sylveon could be Draining Kiss.
« Last Edit: November 10, 2022, 11:44:48 pm by webadict »

TolyK

• Bay Watcher
  • Nowan Ilfideme
    • View Profile
« Reply #1675 on: November 11, 2022, 01:34:30 am »

And it's not like the flavor being leaked would've affected your gameplay.
My Mafia Stats
just do whatevery tolyK and blame it as a bastard mod
Shakerag: Who are you personally suspicious of?
At this point?  TolyK.

NJW2000

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1676 on: November 11, 2022, 07:34:14 am »

Yeah, fair enough, I was probably being a bit harsh there. I guess the setup encouraged thread-sabotage, jester play and disengagement from the mafia, it was just quite frustrating to deal with.

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #1677 on: November 11, 2022, 08:53:43 am »

To be fair, Mafia-ally is always a hard role.

My role was actually pretty decent. Probably the most pro-scum of the roles.

Town can blame itself for voting juicebox. Our scum team mostly just got out of Town's way while they lynched town. Frankly, Town should have lynched me Day 4, then spend Day 5 trying to find the countdown player. Since there was some chance I was the countdown player, I was unfortunately outed as scum, and keeping me alive let me vote on Day 5. I was amazed and delighted that Town didn't figure out that last part. I even voted once just to say "Hey Town, you can't afford to keep me alive".

NJW2000

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1678 on: November 11, 2022, 09:16:44 am »

It made no real difference. We had two chances to find exactly one player, and there was always the WIFOM of the countdown player disengaging. The vote on you was basically just depressed apathy at having such a stupid game despite finding scum three times.

Vector's distancing from Nakeen drew attention to them if anything, it was awkward and forced; I probably wouldn't have found Nakeen without it. Town was just very tired and had few options.

webadict

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1679 on: November 11, 2022, 10:04:52 am »

Yeah, I'm with NJW on the vote.  I don't really blame the Town.  They had a lot of information and a swift deadline that followed a Night that lasted forever.  The chances they voted Nakeen were low.  It was an incredibly exhausting game, and you make poor decisions when you're exhausted.

Though, NJW is wrong about Vector.  Toony had control over the Town, so Toony saw the same interaction and concluded the opposite.  Everyone was going to follow Toony's lead, especially since everyone was tired.  If the game were quicker, I think Nakeen could've been found out, since discussions are going to happen if everyone's engaged.

This game had several lessons to learn, but very few of them were about the Town's play.
Pages: 1 ... 110 111 [112] 113