Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Manual minecart direction input.  (Read 453 times)

FantasticDorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Manual minecart direction input.
« on: January 01, 2023, 01:10:14 pm »

The new method of drawing constructed tracks with the mouse is helpful for single plane, but not very helpful when dealing with the specifics of ramps and creating the intended directions for the a minecart to go back and forth. Id like to suggest a manual input, similar to bridges for tracks specifically so i can build the inputted track direction everywhere i draw or turn it off and let it auto-draw.

Its especially difficult right now as the logic requires a perfectly planned track, but the biggest expenditure in making tracks partially spanning twists and turns and ramps where a very laborious amount of tugging and scrolling is required (not exactly user easy to understand, It took me 5 minutes to realise i needed to pull the track construction box up ONTO the track above joining a ramp to make it N/S or E/W or you just procure a one way ramp) is either tearing them up again, or losing the resources permanently by building over them twice until its correctly set up.

Though its not in the scope of the suggestion, this new direction function would also help when interacting with bridges, since its easy to lose a built track underneath the bridge for a specific entry-point when a bridge is a all direction track all the time.

Inatun

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Manual minecart direction input.
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2023, 04:37:32 pm »

I'm gonna bump this because I've had similar frustrations with the Steam release's auto building system for minecart tracks. My problem was the fact that my intended path from the surface down to magma included a mixture of natural stone and constructed ramps, and it was absolute torture trying to get carved and constructed tracks to link up to each other, especially when multiple z-levels were involved. While I appreciate the ability to just click and drag and get a long path designated, there are some times where I wish I had the option to use the old system and designate specific track orientations for each tile. It just seems like an oversight to me to remove an option that gives players greater control over what happens in the game.

FantasticDorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Manual minecart direction input.
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2023, 08:31:31 am »

thanks for bumping, i forgot i made this suggestion but it came up again in a similar way you experienced.

I mostly use minecart guiding as logic sorters for Q-stockpiles (cleans up local fort resources VERY nicely) and i used about double the amount of blocks i intended to (a ramp and a three track turn to a trackstop, leading to a 4x2 set of all direction tracks with entry points for resources to enter the network) rebuilding it because i had to come down again from the top and into the turn just to validate the u/d ramp to connect with the carved 4x2

I've just colored the block pieces, it might be unintelligible but it gives you a idea of the wastage of why i couldn't just do this with normal carving because dragging is wonky, supporting the original suggestion.
Quote from: first time with three blocks
T< . Corner
   Up Ramp
 + + + +
 + + + +

Quote from: second time with four blocks
T< . Corner
    U/D
 + ^ + +
 + + + +

It would be impossible for instance, to build a up/down ramp leading directly to a retracting bridge which has the same properties of a 4x2 , because you need a single track piece at the top for it to connect to without being able to make direction pre-determined pieces for a built or carved ramp at the bottom.
« Last Edit: September 09, 2023, 08:33:06 am by FantasticDorf »