Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4

Author Topic: What Is Man Made For Realistically?  (Read 2221 times)

Scoops Novel

• Bay Watcher
  • Talismanic
    • View Profile
What Is Man Made For Realistically?
« on: January 04, 2023, 11:52:43 pm »

Technically we're natural hunter-gatherers right? But look around?

If you're being realistic about man in a more complete sense, what is he actually designed for?
Reading a thinner book

Arcjolt (useful) Chilly The Endoplasm Jiggles

Hums with potential    a flying minotaur

brewer bob

• Bay Watcher
  • euphoric due to inebriation
    • View Profile
Re: What Is Man Made For Realistically?
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2023, 01:05:36 am »

If you're being realistic about man in a more complete sense, what is he actually designed for?

For posting Scoops Novel topics.

Ziusudra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2023, 01:25:16 am »

We are neither made or designed - an accident that adapts and multiplies ... or doesn't. Eats, shits, maybe mates, and dies.

Any thing else is a delusion to pass the time between.
Ironblood didn't use an axe because he needed it. He used it to be kind. And right now he wasn't being kind.

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2023, 01:54:50 am »

We are put on this planet to shitpost!
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

NRDL

• Bay Watcher
  • I Actually Like Elves
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2023, 02:20:36 am »

Like every other organism, to survive long enough to have kids, and then doesn't matter what happens afterwards, as long as there are kids to last after us.

The specific accident that is our species ended up with the strategy of cooperation in large numbers, as well as changing our external environments, in order to better accomplish this goal.
GOD DAMN IT NRDL.
NRDL will roll a die and decide how sadistic and insane he's feeling well you do.

Travis Bickle

• Bay Watcher
  • *paranoia intensifies*
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2023, 04:35:01 am »

Read the Catechism and find out.
Cum his qui oderunt pacem eram pacificus.

MaxTheFox

• Bay Watcher
  • Лишь одна дорожка да на всей земле
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2023, 05:50:42 am »

Leaving aside religious perspectives, to say that a living being is "made" for anything except passing its genes on to the next generation is not correct. Not leaving aside religious perspectives, that's up to you.
Woe to those who make unjust laws, to those who issue oppressive decrees, to deprive the poor of their rights and withhold justice from the oppressed of my people, making widows their prey and robbing the fatherless. What will you do on the day of reckoning, when disaster comes from afar?

Strongpoint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2023, 06:19:02 am »

Like every other organism, to survive long enough to have kids, and then doesn't matter what happens afterwards, as long as there are kids to last after us.

It is a simplification that can lead to unpleasant behaviors and become the basis of very ugly ideologies. Yes, in the game of life (for it to continue), organisms need to pass their genes.  But "their genes" is a very broad concept. The genes of your siblings are perfectly fine (just look at ants or bees where evolution has taken it to an extreme). Altruism and self-sacrifice work in the "cold world" of evolution

Increasing the chances of survival of any new generation with our genes is the correct answer. It mostly means that you should be a contributing member of society because your genes are everywhere, humans are pretty closely related.

We can also say that humans are not only genes but also ideas in our brains, so making sure that your ideas will stay alive in other generations also counts.
They ought to be pitied! They are already on a course for self-destruction! They do not need help from us. We need to redress our wounds, help our people, rebuild our cities!

Nordlicht

• Bay Watcher
  • Wuschelig & Wunderlich
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2023, 08:42:28 am »

It's not even about the genes of your own species. Even another species dying out may cause your extinction. I think a lot of religion developed out of creating stories that prevent overhunting and unnecessary environmental destruction.

Culture is not a human only thing. It just seems to be a faster path than just biological evolution that many species use.

We should be contributing member of society, not contributing member of human society only.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 05, 2023, 10:10:19 am »

This thread is pure ideology
Shoes...

Great Order

• Bay Watcher
  • [SCREAMS_INTERNALLY]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 05, 2023, 12:17:17 pm »

This thread is pure ideology
What did you expect though?

Anyway, my take:

Seeing as we evolved, nothing designed us. We evolved as hunter-gatherers and everything since we moved off the savannah has been us adapting the environment and ourselves. It's somewhat irrelevant, but Novel mentioned it so y'know.

Biologically we're "made" (which is more a sort of effect of various laws, rules and probability combining to make biological systems act in a specific way. Again, nothing designed us) for surviving long enough to pass on our genes. Everything, down to our intelligence, is simply a vessel for that. Thankfully, that intelligence allows us to subvert the biological imperative and do whatever the hell we want instead, and to that end we get to choose what our purpose is.
I may have wasted all those years
They're not worth their time in tears
I may have spent too long in darkness
In the warmth of my fears

Scoops Novel

• Bay Watcher
  • Talismanic
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 05, 2023, 01:32:15 pm »

TANTAMOUNT to made. Man has a design spec to follow for best results. Hunting and gathering is part of that, but clearly, we've moved past it. Where are we now, that is the simple question.
Reading a thinner book

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 05, 2023, 02:23:55 pm »

Man does not have a design spec to follow for best results.
Shoes...

Ziusudra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 05, 2023, 02:45:02 pm »

We get to choose what our purpose is now - unfortunately we seem to hav chosen "turn every thing into a way to make a buck".
Ironblood didn't use an axe because he needed it. He used it to be kind. And right now he wasn't being kind.

Scoops Novel

• Bay Watcher
  • Talismanic
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 05, 2023, 03:26:41 pm »

Man does not have a design spec to follow for best results.

Tell that to your brain and biology. I presume you choose not to live like a mouse in a black box, right?

Is it so hard to imagine this argument could go in the opposite direction?

It obviously varies, but the core principles should remain the same if human is even a word.

Man was made to struggle, man was made to use his body and his brain, man was made to be a chaotic little dervish of himself...

When you take enough steps back it must add up to something.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2023, 03:30:21 pm by Scoops Novel »
Reading a thinner book

Pages: [1] 2 3 4