Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: [Premium] Easiest way to overwrite sounds with a mod?  (Read 500 times)

Ctesiphus

• Escaped Lunatic
  • live and drink or something
    • View Profile
[Premium] Easiest way to overwrite sounds with a mod?
« on: January 12, 2023, 10:13:46 pm »

so like, if i wanted to make a mod for the workshop that replaces sounds... how would i. do that, exactly?

the best i have right now is a local manual file replacement for the sounds i wanted replaced, but it (probably) means i'd have to overwrite them again every update.

that is, predictably, very boring and tedious, though the updates aren't frequent enough for it to annoy me badly.... but i do wonder if there's something else to be done.

maybe this is sort of an untouched mod capability? i had read older threads about how the older versions needed soundsense or something, and that was just for overwrites rather than new sounds/music. is it still coded this way? any ideas?

thank you!
One star-ribboned night, a ray cat crossed the marshy loam and wandered into Joppa. The watervine farmers, wakened by the joyful cries of a small girl, gathered around to revel at the favorable omen and extol the generosity of the Beetle Moon. Since then, Ctesiphus has spent his days curled under the shade of brinestalk huts and sauntering over dirt paths. So long as he's approached with care, he welcomes the hands of friends and strangers alike.

PetMudstone

• Bay Watcher
  • Damned Fool
    • View Profile
Re: [Premium] Easiest way to overwrite sounds with a mod?
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2023, 04:14:32 pm »

Sadly, it isn't possible to add new sound files via mods yet. You can change when vanilla sounds play from what I've seen, but adding wholly new sounds/replacing existing sound files isn't possible. From what Toady One has said though there is planned to be further support in the future.

Relevant message below. Bolding is by me.

Sound just isn't that moddable yet, the format there isn't really complete.  It doesn't know how to use non-vanilla files, doesn't have a place to put them.  I wanted to get something in there so that saves could be a little bit compatible with more support later, by having any objects at all to work with.