Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 19

Author Topic: Age of Calamity and Regrowth: Discussion Thread - End  (Read 9278 times)

Stirk

• Bay Watcher
  • Full Metal Nutball
    • View Profile
Re: Age of Calamity and Regrowth: Initializing
« Reply #75 on: March 21, 2023, 12:38:47 pm »

We've invented flags already?

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
This is my signature. There are many like it, but this one is mine.

This is my waifu, this is my gun. This one's for fighting, this ones for fun.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • technical difficulties
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: March 21, 2023, 12:53:24 pm »

I shall disassemble my one flag into cloth, then make that cloth into clothing. Muah ha ha.
Insatiable consumption. Ceaseless motion. Unstoppable destruction.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • technical difficulties
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: March 21, 2023, 01:05:27 pm »

I note that since there's nothing to build with 1 wood or 1 stone, starting with 2 wood or 2 stone is better than starting with 1 of each. At least, in an immediate sense, as it allows you to make a building first turn rather than waiting to gather a little more.

I can build spears with 1 wood, but the only use for 1 stone is explorer's hall or horse farm which I lack tech for.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2023, 01:08:03 pm by Egan_BW »

Stirk

• Bay Watcher
  • Full Metal Nutball
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: March 21, 2023, 01:09:53 pm »

I note that since there's nothing to build with 1 wood or 1 stone, starting with 2 wood or 2 stone is better than starting with 1 of each. At least, in an immediate sense, as it allows you to make a building first turn rather than waiting to gather a little more.

I can build spears with 1 wood, but the only use for 1 stone is explorer's hall or horse farm which I lack tech for.

Unused resources will automatically be stored. Standard warehouses can store 20 resources of each type, excluding perishables like food. Resources may be used in the same turn they are produced. Extra resources over the storage limit are considered to be either given away to the populace or stolen.

Unless that rule also changed you should be able to collect 2 Wood or 2 Stone and then use them in the same turn (assuming you have enough labor)
This is my signature. There are many like it, but this one is mine.

This is my waifu, this is my gun. This one's for fighting, this ones for fun.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • technical difficulties
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: March 21, 2023, 01:15:33 pm »

Ah, right. Can I request that we get a rules spoiler with everything's order of operations? Like is population growth before or after other calculations? An idea of that stuff might be present in the rules already but it would be nice to have it on one place.

I would like to do my own calculations, both so that I have a better idea of what's happening and to make the game easier to run.

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: March 21, 2023, 02:01:20 pm »

We've invented flags already?
It was this forbidden knowledge that allowed us to declare cities in the first place. The barbarians look upon us with fuming jealousy, unable to replicate our previously unthinkable feat.
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • technical difficulties
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: March 21, 2023, 02:44:56 pm »

Shading works surprisingly well. It looks sorta deformed until I added that hehe.

crazyabe

• Bay Watcher
  • I didn't start the fire...Just added the gasoline!
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: March 21, 2023, 04:25:00 pm »

The barbarians look upon us with fuming jealousy, unable to replicate our previously unthinkable feat.
Aye! don't act like I didn't get a flag!
Quote from: MonkeyMarkMario, 2023
“Don’t quote me.”
nothing here.

Nirur Torir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: March 21, 2023, 06:08:26 pm »

Also I got around to looking at the others starting maps and noticed this, I think that IronyOwl should have a Shimmersilk Spider ranch placed somewhere? As part of his starting bonus with them?
Yes. IronyOwl, you can place it anywhere other than the capital, since I failed to place it. It works just like a regular pasture, giving +1 food OR +1 silk OR +1 spider.
The spiders are about the size of an apple and have no venom. Please do not throw them, they are not currently a weapon.

It might not actually be written anywhere, but if something lists its costs like "2 wood or 2 stone," you can generally use any combination of them.

Ah, right. Can I request that we get a rules spoiler with everything's order of operations? Like is population growth before or after other calculations? An idea of that stuff might be present in the rules already but it would be nice to have it on one place.

I would like to do my own calculations, both so that I have a better idea of what's happening and to make the game easier to run.
This is appreciated.
Good idea, I'll get one out soon, but probably forget something. For now, population growth happens near the end of the turn, after people work and eat, but before new soldiers take themselves out of the picture.

Nirur Torir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: March 21, 2023, 06:46:33 pm »

Spoiler: Turn Order (click to show/hide)

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • technical difficulties
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: March 21, 2023, 08:07:28 pm »

Much thanks, that will be useful. <3

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: March 21, 2023, 08:59:31 pm »

Neat. I'll place it on the fork at Tile 2.
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: March 22, 2023, 01:30:58 pm »

I assume we'll all be posting turns at once?  What happens when we're potentially attacking each other?  Like if Player A has the order "Attack B's army on that hill" while B has "Retreat off the hill back toward the city".  Is there a unified resolution in that case?
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

Nirur Torir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: March 22, 2023, 02:37:21 pm »

I assume we'll all be posting turns at once?
Yes. Turns are assumed to occur simultaneously. In the event of conflicting military orders, like intercepting an army, I'll determine what happens based on both common sense "what should happen" and roll a dice, biased towards an outcome favorable to whoever has the strategically fastest army.

I'm thinking that I might want plants, trolls, and standard elf cavalry to all move at the same base strategic speed, modifying it more by heavy foot men-at-arms or having army logistics wagons.
But it's also tempting to make the plants and trolls research ways to move faster. I'll have to think about this.

What happens when we're potentially attacking each other?  Like if Player A has the order "Attack B's army on that hill" while B has "Retreat off the hill back toward the city".  Is there a unified resolution in that case?
If they start the turn next to each other, there would likely be a lower intensity battle while B plays a fighting retreat.
If Player A is further away, then player B should be able to get away without making contact, unless A has strategically faster units who can reasonably slow B down and I think A wants to press the attack (IE, Attack That Army vs Capture That Hill).

Edit: Before battle begins, players with generals will get the chance to decide on their tactics through PM. Players with explorers might, while players with neither are unlikely to get a special tactics decision round and should be careful to give good orders beforehand.

Regarding strategic speed, I think I'll have troll/plant light infantry (eg, spearmen with just spears, archers with just bows) move at the same strategic speed as normal light/medium infantry (eg, spearmen with leather armor and wooden shields, archers with leather armor), while troll/plant medium and heavy infantry (eg, spearmen with metal armor, archers with spears) move at the same strategic speed as normal heavy infantry.
In general, light cavalry should be the only cavalry to get a strategic speed boost.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2023, 03:32:17 pm by Nirur Torir »

Nirur Torir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Age of Calamity and Regrowth: Game Start
« Reply #89 on: March 24, 2023, 02:20:53 pm »

Game start.
You'll get your maps when you build a unit.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 19