Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 16

Author Topic: TURKISH ELECTIONS ARE... Over. All is lost. (TurkePol Thread?)  (Read 10000 times)

Magmacube_tr

• Bay Watcher
  • Praise KeK! For He is The Key and The Gate!
    • View Profile

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
« Last Edit: June 25, 2023, 05:14:58 am by Magmacube_tr »
I must submerge myself in MAGMAAAAAAAAA! daily for 17 cents, which I detest. With a new profile picture!

My gaem. JOIN NAOW!!!

My sigtext. Read if you dare!

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
Re: TURKISH ELECTIONS ARE TOMORROW
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2023, 05:26:33 pm »

Well. Good luck?
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Magmacube_tr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2023, 05:38:36 pm »

Well. Good luck?

I am just stressed.

I just want Erdoğan off my life!
I must submerge myself in MAGMAAAAAAAAA! daily for 17 cents, which I detest. With a new profile picture!

My gaem. JOIN NAOW!!!

Jerick

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2023, 05:47:50 pm »

That is completely understandable. There is, for the first time in quite a while, a good chance of him losing. But my fear is that even if beaten in the polls he wouldn't easily let go of power. I do hope everything goes smoothly though and I hope people remember his botched handling of the earthquake and all his other bullshit.

jipehog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2023, 06:10:51 pm »

Why? What does the opposition candidate have to offer beside not being Erdogan?

MrRoboto75

• Bay Watcher
  • Belongs in the Trash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2023, 06:23:43 pm »

Erection day

Erection day
I consume
I purchase
I consume again

dragdeler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2023, 06:40:47 pm »

Right, you want me to check what again? (I think its not cool turk expat still vote in turkey, but also wherever they live, but maybe I'm just misinformed)

Go vote tho.
let

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2023, 08:45:09 pm »

Remember: It isn't about getting yourself to vote for your candidate, but rather getting other folks out to vote for your candidate.

brewer bob

• Bay Watcher
  • euphoric due to inebriation
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2023, 01:23:37 am »

Me too, despite not living in Turke--I mean Türkiye.

MaxTheFox

• Bay Watcher
  • Лишь одна дорожка да на всей земле
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 14, 2023, 03:07:03 am »

The less conservatives in power worldwide, the better.
Woe to those who make unjust laws, to those who issue oppressive decrees, to deprive the poor of their rights and withhold justice from the oppressed of my people, making widows their prey and robbing the fatherless. What will you do on the day of reckoning, when disaster comes from afar?

Strongpoint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 14, 2023, 03:18:03 am »

Simply removing someone who rules for ~20 years is a good thing, no country can be truly prosperous with this kind of stagnation.
They ought to be pitied! They are already on a course for self-destruction! They do not need help from us. We need to redress our wounds, help our people, rebuild our cities!

Magmacube_tr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: TURKISH ELECTIONS ARE TODAY
« Reply #11 on: May 14, 2023, 05:19:39 am »

THE ELECTIONS ARE HAPPENING

I AM GONNA GO VOTE

My gaem. JOIN NAOW!!!

jipehog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 14, 2023, 05:51:25 am »

Simply removing someone who rules for ~20 years is a good thing, no country can be truly prosperous with this kind of stagnation.
Is it ? USA removed some very bad rules in the middle east, subsequently it lead to instability and blood bath that made the region more impoverished. Can you be more specific than a generic dogma ?

Bralbaard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 14, 2023, 06:09:05 am »

We are talking about the turkish voting someone else in power here  :). I don't see how you can compare it to those interventions

andrea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 14, 2023, 06:18:10 am »

That is two fundamentally different situations. Removing leaders by force rarely leads to stability, and generally only after quite a bit of intermediate suffering.

This is an internal election, it is a normal part of their already democratic system, and changing leaders through elections is fundamentally different than leaders being deposed by force. In fact, in a democratic system changing leaders is a very crucial feature of staying democratic: a single person keeping power for too much time risks concentrating too much power, officially or otherwise, in that person. This in turn means a greater risk of the system just becoming less and less democratic: the person on top gets used to being powerful, the people get more used to always having the same person on top, and the leader also has more power to make sure the situation stays that way.
Even with the best of intention, it also damages one of the core advantages of democracy: orderly transfers of power. When leadership changes often and peacefully, it builds procedures and expectations. If you have the same guy, with the same party, holding ever more concentrated power for 50 years, the aftermath of this person's death or retirement may see a great deal of trouble, as the mechanisms and the habit of leader change has atrophied .

Mind you, how bad this gets depends on how strong the democratic tradition of a country is and how solid the power of the leader really is: nobody was worried about germany becoming a dictatorship under Merkel, because it had strong democratic institutions and because she was in coalition governments with constant checks. And yet, her long tenure still caused some degree of discomfort at the end, and I would argue rightly so. Stepping down and letting new people take the lead reinforces the idea that power doesn't belong to the individual leader, but to the people and it is merely expressed through parties and individuals within them.

Basically: changing leaders on its own is not necessarily a net positive in quality of life, but if you are in a democratic system it is a very important part of keeping said system healthy.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 16