Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5

Author Topic: [IC] Trespassers of the Mulitverse: Unification: Blades, Guns, and Arconite  (Read 3956 times)

AzyWng

• Bay Watcher
  • Just one of many
    • View Profile

OOC

The TV dropped the team into a rather small room with a large black table at its center. Against the walls were shelves of boxes and crates with labels like "HANDLE WITH CAUTION", "EXPIRY DATE 8-23-4523", and "FRAGILE". A few dusty-looking lockers sat in a corner. It looked like the kind of place almost no-one went to. A single ceiling light illuminated the table. Stood at it were Lyra and Annie, both clad in their armor and with blades sheathed in scabbards on their backs. A small tablet, projecting an image of a map of the galaxy, rested just in front of Annie and Lyra. As the crew approached the two, Annie gave a friendly wave.

"Hey, you're here! Glad to finally get this done. To bring you up to speed - we already have a good idea of where the Trespasser is located." Annie points a gloved finger at a small collection of asteroids marked near the edge of The Drift. "The real problem is actually getting there safely and then reaching the Trespasser, not to mention being able to pinpoint the Trespasser's location so we don't waste time. But let's start with the most important things first." Annie waved at a few dozen red triangles and chevrons that were clustered around the asteroids. "Sovereign's got their crews guarding this thing fiercely. I'm not sure whether they've already been possessed, or if they just think they can still turn the situation to their advantage, but the point is, they're in the way.

Thankfully, Lyra and I have done a little prep work, so we've already got a few ideas on how to get past these guys. We could do one... or more... or maybe all of them!"
Annie cracked a wicked grin at the prospect.

Lyra nodded, but she wasn't smiling. "But don't forget that this is just the first step. We've still got the actual base infiltration to worry about, not to mention killing the Trespasser itself. Plus, as disorganized as Sovereign's become, they've still got plenty of eyes in plenty of places. I'm worried that if we take too many of these opportunities, Sovereign will notice, and be ready to intercept us when the time comes to attack. Might be better to prepare our gear and tactics. Prepare ourselves best we can before we start sticking our heads out.

Which brings us to the next point - discretion is going to be our primary advantage. We can't just force ourselves into the facility and bombard it with missiles until it explodes, as much fun as that would be."
Annie's smile faded and she rolled her eyes.

"Anyway, if you need one of us to fill you folks in, get a lay of the land, that sort of thing, just ask. We'll lay out our options in a little bit."
« Last Edit: September 19, 2023, 10:38:47 pm by AzyWng »

GodofGamingRWBY

• Bay Watcher
  • Writing Nerd
    • View Profile

Mira

For Mira, she simply stood by, arms folded as the briefing began. Truthfully, she didn't care much about the tactics of this; Even if this Sovereign took notice of them, it would be simple to just punch through. But she was the weapon, not the wielder. If they wanted to go 'quietly', then fine. She would simply wait until her methods were needed. But a strategy talk barely required her own input.

At the very least, Annie seemed to be of the same mind as her. Simply blowing the place up would be the simplest solution. Hardly the most fun, however.
Just some nerd who thinks they're a half decent writer.
FEF: Marks of Royalty links:
OOC
IC

Chevaleresse

• Bay Watcher
  • A knight, returned from a journey weary and long
    • View Profile
    • Patreon

Tsubasa

The Slayer quietly took in the information. Sneaking about wasn't her forte, exactly, but she wouldn't have to deal with the guards sniffing out her blood.

Probably.

"What do I need to do to blend in here?" She shrugs, vaguely indicating her style of dress. It was a bit archaic even in her home; she doubted that this place full of futuristic mercenaries saw a lot of people dressed like nineteenth century Japanese soldiers.
GM of Trespassers V2.
If you like my work, consider becoming a patron. (Since apparently people think this is a requirement: no, my game(s) are free to play and always will be.

DragonRage

• Bay Watcher
  • Mwahahahahahahahaha
    • View Profile

"Oh dear, that does look tricky," Joan frets, looking over the display, "I would very much prefer the quiet approach if we can manage it.  We wouldn't want to attract more enemies."  She brushes down her uniform with a frown, "Perhaps a change in wardrobe?  Little sis swears by knit beanies, dark turtlenecks, and jeans," She continues.  She produces such a beanie and tries to put it on, but her hair proves entirely too springy to let it sit right on her head.
"If a lightning bolt can't solve your problems, you aren't being creative enough." - Zoe Walker

Sora

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Ea

"Normally I'd volunteer to put us all into an illusion that'd make us blend right in, but I fear that given the state of this world that I'd run out of Magical energy as we reach the middle of the enemy base. Disguising you three doesn't seem too hard, you could fit right in with different clothes. Myself on the other hand..."

Ea looked down on her own clothes and form. Even if she was hiding her more draconic features, she was still very visibly a fey. Hard to explain that away with poor make-up choices and a more eccentric personality.

AzyWng

• Bay Watcher
  • Just one of many
    • View Profile

Annie and Lyra nod as they dig through some of the shelves to pull out some weathered-looking mercenary gear - load bearing vests, dark gray shirts, tactical pants, and yes, indeed, a few turtlenecks. "Just don't show off your powers too much and we should be okay."

"I'm sure any oddities can be explained away as a result of... glitching, or something, anyhow. Not that we'll need much of a disguise once we get to the fun part - we'd just rather not reveal our true abilities until we're fully prepared, you know?"

"Speaking of preparations..." Lyra pulls out a list of things, then uses the device on the table to magnify it for everyone in the room to see.

Each character chooses one of the options below

"Oh, I nearly forgot," Annie says. "Our supplies have gotten more than a little limited with all the fighting going on, and getting what we want... it might not always be possible. If we want to prepare... we may need to take the time to get more people on side, first. Depends on what we want to do, exactly."

Current Favor: 5

Each character can choose one action below to prepare before this mission.

Spoiler: Mission Prep (click to show/hide)

Chevaleresse

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Patreon

Tsubasa

Tsubasa took off her haori and folded it carefully, before perusing the proffered clothing and picking out some clothes she could put over her uniform without too much fuss.

"Let's just raid them." No need to overcomplicate things. If they needed any help, she could help them gain favor as needed without drawing so much attention.
GM of Trespassers V2.
If you like my work, consider becoming a patron. (Since apparently people think this is a requirement: no, my game(s) are free to play and always will be.

DragonRage

• Bay Watcher
  • Mwahahahahahahahaha
    • View Profile

"I agree with Tsubasa," Joan decides, "The more moving parts a plan has, the more likely it is to fall to pieces the moment it hits some turbulence.  And resistance movements tend to involve a lot of moving parts, and a lot of turbulence.  Let's raid a Sovereign ship.  I'm sure that between us we'll be able to find a way to come out on top."

Joan will acquire stealth pods, spending the maximum of 5 favor unless anyone has something else they really need it for.  "My sisters always complained about fighting Romulan ships with their cloaking devices, so not being seen before you strike must be a pretty serious advantage.  The Treaty of Algeron meant I never got to have one, of course, but I always wondered what it would be like.  And if it's not a Federation cloaking device, it's outside the treaty limits.   ...As long as we don't run into any Romulans.  You don't have Romulans here, do you?"
"If a lightning bolt can't solve your problems, you aren't being creative enough." - Zoe Walker

Sora

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Ea

"If I know one thing it's that you can never have enough friends. Then again these guys from sovereign look like they'd be a pain to deal with down the line. So let's try to raid this sovereign Ship and hope nobody misses them. I'd bring in Cathares, the less people we have to deal with the better our chances of going unnoticed"

Then Ea looked over the selection of disguises she got here at her disposal. There was no helping it, she'd have to cram herself into one of these things.

"Let's hope our mission goes smoothly. The sooner we can get out of these things the better."

GodofGamingRWBY

• Bay Watcher
  • Writing Nerd
    • View Profile

Mira

The Dark Knight simply stares at the uniforms being handed out for a few moments, then sighs, begrudgingly taking them, "Let's just get to work. Raiding their ship will be a good staging point" she said simply. And even though she herself is not an expert at diplomacy, she figured she could help Tsubasa gain favor. The more supplies they can get, the better.
OOC
IC

AzyWng

• Bay Watcher
  • Just one of many
    • View Profile

Mission Prep:

Annie's supplier is a nervous-looking fellow with a prosthetic right arm. He and Joan meet in a quiet-looking lockup, and after passing along a message from Annie, he just nods, and shows Joan to some of his pods. It's obvious just from looking that these black breacher pods are high-quality, and Annie's more than eager to take them out for a spin once they're brought to the hideout.

"Hey! Hey, Lyra! You still know tech shit, right?"

"A little bit-"

"You. These pods. Work your magic!"

"... I'll see what I can do, I suppose, but I'll need supplies of my own if you want me to take things a step further..."

"I... well, all right. Start thinking of ways to do that and get a shopping list ready by the time this first mission's done."

Stealth pods acquired: Reinforcements are delayed by two turns (now four). Missions attract less attention from Sovereign (and sometimes, none at all).

Quality bonus I: One ally of the party's choosing starts battle with 2 turns of Smoke!

Quality bonus II: Non-boss enemies can only use basic actions on the first turn of battle!

5 Favor spent (new total 0).

Meanwhile, Tsubasa and Mira are put in contact with people in need of help - some of them are people Lyra has known about, others are people who Annie has contacted. The work is fairly simple - everything from package deliveries to guard duty. Sometimes the jobs take less than five minutes - but the tension in the air around Coldrock Haven makes it obvious that their help is needed.

Plenty of people seem keen to take advantage of the chaos this whole mess has caused, and it often takes people like Tsubasa and Mira to remind them why that's a dumb idea.

8 favor gained.

It takes a bit of time for the meeting with Cathartes to be set up. When Ea is finally sent off, she's pointed towards a night market, bustling with activity. Whatever traces of Sovereign there were are gone now, at least for the time being, but people still move around uneasily. Whatever conversations are being held seem far more urgent, and it's clear that Ea stands out, even with the aid of the disguise she's been given.

Cathartes, clad in an oddly familiar yellow-and-black armor, slips out from the crowd and pulls Ea away. She acknowledges that yes, she's the person Ea's been sent to retrieve, and begins to follow Ea to the hideout. She doesn't say much of anything to Ea or Lyra or even Annie. But Annie doesn't seem bothered by the silence at all.

"Don't worry. I can recognize the people I work with, and that's definitely her."

"... Is she always this quiet?"

"Pretty much. But she can make other people quiet in pretty short order, and that's the more important thing."

"All right. Just... be careful, okay? She gives me a weird feeling..."

"Not sure you can trust her? That's rich, coming from you."

"That isn't... Never mind."

Cathartes acquired: Once, at the start of combat, Cathartes can snipe one enemy of the party's choosing. This enemy will take extreme damage and may be killed outright.

It's not long before Annie and Lyra have gathered the group before them once more, this time having highlighted a few routes that Sovereign has been using to 'acquire' and move supplies. Three ships in particular are highlighted.

"We've picked out a few targets of opportunity - and while they're largely carrying the same information, the different security on each ship suggests that there's more valuable intel on some, particularly this one," Lyra gestures towards the largest vessel that's been highlighted.

"Naturally, I think we should hit it."

"It could be carrying something especially valuable - intel, valuable equipment, or something else. But it'll definitely get noticed by Sovereign - not to mention other actors in the Drift. Ultimately it's your choice whether to hit it or not. We've got notes on the security inside to help you make your decision."

Choose which target to attack. Only one may be chosen.

Spoiler: The three targets: (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Preparations (click to show/hide)

Current favor: 8
Current heat: 1
« Last Edit: August 31, 2023, 10:54:44 am by AzyWng »

GodofGamingRWBY

• Bay Watcher
  • Writing Nerd
    • View Profile

Mira

"Whatever their defenses, it won't be enough to hold out against me. This 'Phlogistion' should be a suitable target. Deal with that, and their defenses will still have a significant hole" Mira stated bluntly, eyes focused entirely on the display, and on the target. She could certainly use a warmup soon.
OOC
IC

AzyWng

• Bay Watcher
  • Just one of many
    • View Profile

With ‘Phlogiston’ chosen as the target, Lyra and Annie give the team the green light to get moving towards the ship.

As the breacher pods leave for the target, the team gets a chance to see the outside of Coldrock Haven.

And... it doesn’t look good. The wreckage of various structures litter the landscape, and the pilots (Cathartes, and Annie and Lyra who are controlling the pods remotely) have to slow down to move the pod around more than a few pieces every so often. Thankfully, they manage to clear the debris field without so much as a scratch, and from then on, it’s less than an hour’s wait before their target comes into view. The pods enter into stealth mode and slowly make their way to a series of docking ports in the side. From there, the pods attach to the ship with a quiet click before the airlocks cycle and the team can board the Phlogiston.

Of course, Sovereign’s crew isn’t going to just let them grab the data they’re after...

Choose one target for Cathartes to snipe.

Choose one ally to gain Smoke for 2 turns.

Enemies are taken by surprise and can only perform basic actions for the first turn!

Reinforcements will arrive in 4 turns.

Positioning:
1: Mira, Tsubasa, Joan, Ea, Solemn
2: Empty
3: Sovereign Elite Guards A, B
4: Sovereign Elite Guards C, D, E, F, Sovereign Commander, Sovereign Drone Op A
5: Sovereign Elite Guards G, H, Sovereign Medium Combat Robots A, B, Sovereign Drone Ops B, C

INIT:

5: Sovereign Commander
4: Sovereign Drone Ops
2: Tsubasa
1: Sovereign Elite Guards
0: Sovereign Medium Combat Robots
-3: Mira, Joan Dark
-4: Ea
-5: Solemn

Sovereign:
Commander: Undamaged
Drone Ops A, B, C: Undamaged
Elite Guards A, B, C, D, E, F, G, H: Undamaged, Under Command
Sovereign Medium Combat Robots A, B: Undamaged, Under Command

(Unnamed group):
Tsubasa: 36/36 HP
Mira: 45/45 HP, 3 Magra
Joan: 24/24 HP
Ea: 36/36 HP, 0 Eternal Bloom, 0 Mana
Solemn: 24/24 HP, 1 Aetherflow
« Last Edit: August 31, 2023, 11:09:28 am by AzyWng »

AzyWng

• Bay Watcher
  • Just one of many
    • View Profile
Re: [IC] Tresspassers of the Mulitverse: Unification: Blades, Guns, and Arconite
« Reply #13 on: September 02, 2023, 10:32:57 am »

The Sovereign Commander guards.

The Sovereign Drone Ops B and C advance to Zone 3 and guard.

Positioning:
1: Mira, Tsubasa, Joan, Ea, Solemn
2: Empty
3: Sovereign Elite Guards A, B, Sovereign Drone Ops A, B, C
4: Sovereign Elite Guards C, D, E, F, Sovereign Commander,
5: Sovereign Elite Guards G, H, Sovereign Medium Combat Robots A, B

INIT:

5: Sovereign Commander
4: Sovereign Drone Ops
2: Tsubasa
1: Sovereign Elite Guards
0: Sovereign Medium Combat Robots
-3: Mira, Joan Dark
-4: Ea
-5: Solemn

Sovereign:
Commander: Undamaged
Drone Ops A, B, C: Undamaged
Elite Guards A, B, C, D, E, F, G, H: Undamaged, Under Command
Sovereign Medium Combat Robots A, B: Undamaged, Under Command

(Unnamed group):
Tsubasa: 36/36 HP
Mira: 45/45 HP, 3 Magra
Joan: 24/24 HP
Ea: 36/36 HP, 0 Eternal Bloom, 0 Mana
Solemn: 24/24 HP, 1 Aetherflow

Chevaleresse

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Patreon
Re: [IC] Tresspassers of the Mulitverse: Unification: Blades, Guns, and Arconite
« Reply #14 on: September 02, 2023, 11:11:27 am »

Tsubasa Provokes the Sovereign Commander (or Medium Combat Robot A, if he's dead) and Concentrates, gaining 10 SHD and 1 Concentration.
GM of Trespassers V2.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5