Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 18

Author Topic: Lifevis - A realtime 3D interface for DF - Now with more Speed!  (Read 76622 times)

Mithaldu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: 3Dwarf beautification project
« Reply #15 on: August 02, 2008, 06:45:36 am »

I'm absolutely speechless and a bit overwhelmed actually (both by the data and your acts). You've given me a lot to think about and to work on while at the same time saving a lot of time. I don't think i know the words to properly express my gratitude here, especially in light of the things you said in the interview.

As for the special type: We'll just have to see how it looks after rendering it. If all fails we can still put a stone question mark in their place. :)

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bay12games.com
« Reply #16 on: August 02, 2008, 07:02:34 am »

Special = closed bars, closed grates, doors (except for closed lever-operated doors, which are total), hatches as doors but total=floor, archery targets

Doors are probably the most common.
The Toad, a Natural Resource:  Preserve yours today!

Mithaldu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 02, 2008, 07:20:09 am »

Hmm, means it would require some predictive analysis. I'd say the cases where grates or hatches are built without having the floor under them digged out are seldom enough to identify them by that property.

If doors are rendered as simple walls in the middle of the tile, with some guessing as to direction based on surroundings it shouldn't be a problem to have them stand in for targets too. ... Maybe draw all doors with a targeting ring. :D

The one i don't quite understand is this one: hatches as doors but total=floor.

I just also noticed that 1+3 = road. Yay. \o/

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 02, 2008, 07:32:10 am »

The one i don't quite understand is this one: hatches as doors but total=floor.

I just meant take the text from door "doors (except for closed lever-operated doors, which are total)" and change it to hatch with total=floor "hatches (except for closed lever-operated hatches, which are floor)".

Floor = bridge, shop, depot, road, closed lever operated hatches
Block = well
Total = closed lever operated doors, also floodgates, blocking part of screwpump, blocking part of water wheel, window
No block = everything else that can be passed through (furniture, walkable workshop squares, etc.)
Block/floor = everything else that can't be passed through (unwalkable workshop squares, etc.)

Mithaldu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 02, 2008, 07:45:17 am »

Alright, had to read it a few times, but got it. Thanks again. :)

Ubersoldat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 02, 2008, 10:13:45 am »

When I first glanced at the title of this thread, I thought it said 3Dwarf beatification project. Truly an interesting thought.

Baboonanza

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 07, 2008, 06:24:26 pm »

Hi. This is a fasinating thread and I've got a related question (I'm also playing with 3D visualisation).

DESIGNATION_MATGLOSS_BIT1-4 seems to be an index into a list of stone types that make up the layers for the map. However, I can't find the relation between this index and the array of stone types loaded from the raws. Presumably there is some sort of intermediate array, but I can't find it.

Does anyone have any info on either the form or location of this data? Or am I barking up the wrong tree?
 Cheers.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2008, 02:20:38 am by Baboonanza »

matryx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 11, 2008, 02:47:06 am »

Is there any information as to the development ongoing with this project?
I really enjoy using it as is, and I'm curious what lies in store currently!

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 11, 2008, 04:42:05 am »

Hi. This is a fasinating thread and I've got a related question (I'm also playing with 3D visualisation).

DESIGNATION_MATGLOSS_BIT1-4 seems to be an index into a list of stone types that make up the layers for the map. However, I can't find the relation between this index and the array of stone types loaded from the raws. Presumably there is some sort of intermediate array, but I can't find it.

Does anyone have any info on either the form or location of this data? Or am I barking up the wrong tree?
 Cheers.

Those will take you to the geological layer in the geological region associated to the world map square associated to the tile.  There's a lot of hopping around, which makes writing these utilities with the exact material a bit more difficult.

Mithaldu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 16, 2008, 06:06:29 am »

I'm sorry, but it will be a while before anything comes of this. I posted it at a time where i expected roughly a month before i had enough data to work with.

It will be some time until i can take enough of a break from work to actually invest in this. :/

Dadamh

• Bay Watcher
  • !!world!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 16, 2008, 06:21:17 am »

I'm sorry, but it will be a while before anything comes of this. I posted it at a time where i expected roughly a month before i had enough data to work with.

It will be some time until i can take enough of a break from work to actually invest in this. :/

WHAT?  WE DEMAND OUR FREE THINGS NOW DESPITE THE HARDSHIPS IT MAY CAUSE IN YOUR LIFE

I am of course kidding.  You're making a viewer for a game map.  I'm sure people don't mind waiting, man.  Good luck with it all.

Hishan

• Bay Watcher
  • [ALCOHOL_DEPENDANT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 28, 2008, 02:47:26 am »

A bit of a shameless bump here, but just to ask, how goes the project?

Tamren

• Bay Watcher
  • Two dreams away
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 28, 2008, 04:14:12 am »

Yes how goes? Im hoping for added Z levels and colour visualization for my 8X11 map sized starship  :)
Fear not the insane man. For who are you to say he does not percieve the true reality?

Joseph Miles

• Bay Watcher
  • DF isn't a game, its a way of life!
    • View Profile
    • http://bugger92.proboards91.com/
« Reply #28 on: August 29, 2008, 12:34:29 am »

The viewer is being updated?! I wish I knew that before, I made a fort on an older version just to see it in visualizer...
Cog - He's the new Urist.
Yes they are a bunch of drunken unstable retards, but they're MY drunken unstable retards, and I will take care of them.
It could be worse, that cat could be alive.

sinoth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://sinoth.net
« Reply #29 on: August 29, 2008, 08:41:09 am »

added Z levels and colour visualization

Could you explain this?
[i do not regret]
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 18