Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress  (Read 2988 times)

ThreeToe

• The Natural
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bay12games.com
Future of the Fortress
« on: August 17, 2006, 12:00:00 am »

Once the bug reports die down, the next step will be to make Adventure Mode more fun, laying a foundation for more progress in both modes.  Plans include fleshing out the human villages.  Peasants will move about on daily schedules, locking their stores at night, eating with forks and spoons, and sleeping in their beds at night.  They will deck themselves out in stunning new clothing, dyed in vibrant colors or painted with intricate designs.  They also dangle new coin purses ready to be snatched by greedy adventurers.

The keep with also be more interesting, possibly surrounded by menacing towers and a wide moat.  Guards will patrol the fortress in bright new uniforms.  These servants of the peace will not join you on quests, but they will hunt you down if you break the laws of the town. (and kill you)  Once inside you will be able to marvel at flowing tapestries and chests filled with treasure, all illuminated by flickering torches.  There the lord will be, wearing his new crown, surrounded by diplomats, bards, and other hangers-on.

Back at the mead hall you will meet the good old drunks, gulping intoxicants from their personal steins.  They will be armed with primitive weapons and eager for adventure.  There too you will meet mercenaries, ready to follow the right leader.  

Later, every person in the land will be affiliated to their own town and family.  New quests will allow you to settle grudges between warring clans.

Show your true champion nature:  support Bay 12 games!

Lap

• Bay Watcher
  • I <3 Lua
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2006, 12:06:00 am »

Before everyone goes posting crazy suggestions look at the already crazy amounts of stuff to be done.

http://www.bay12games.com/dwarves/dev_v1.html
http://www.bay12games.com/dwarves/dev_future.html

It's too bad that this kind of game makes it really hard to the community to actively contribute besides with playtesting. Most of the design is fleshed out for years of future work, no editors, no open source, and no need for art. This unfortunatly leaves almost all the work on Toady now =(. There anything we can do to help besides play and donate?

The Naked Avenger

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2006, 12:12:00 am »

Is combat high on the priority list?

I mean combat would be easier to fresh out than  adding other stuff right?

Lap

• Bay Watcher
  • I <3 Lua
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2006, 12:14:00 am »

What specifically about the combat system. I actually love most of it. You should here the praise the SA forum goons are giving it. A lot of them love it better than dwarf mode (fools  ;) )

ricree

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2006, 12:15:00 am »

Out of curiosity, has Toady considered open sourcing this?  It seems somewhat... daunting for a single developer.  Not that it isn't great now, but it seems like bringing in more developers would really benefit the project.

The Naked Avenger

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2006, 12:18:00 am »

Yeah I love the combat too, but I just want all the awsome wrestling stuff shown in some of the bloats to be implemented like lifting and impailing people and disarming people.

Oh and I came from the SA forums  ;)

Lap

• Bay Watcher
  • I <3 Lua
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2006, 12:23:00 am »

Open source would definatly accelerate this.

I'm thinking of getting together with one of those SA goons and making a all encompassing guide and then copy pasting parts of it into the wiki.

What's Toady's policy on adding things to the in game help? I'd be willing to write stuff for it since seriously, it needs help just as much as most players.

ThreeToe

• The Natural
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2006, 12:30:00 am »

We are laying the foundation for larger things, but you may see new combat features here and there.
Show your true champion nature:  support Bay 12 games!

macbony

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 17, 2006, 07:07:00 am »

If I were Toady, and I spent, what now? 3 years? working on this game I wouldn't be in a rush to open-source it. Open-sourcing isn't always a good thing and it's not like the moment the source opens up you'll have a dozen talented and qualified coders looking through the code. In fact, what'd probably happen is a few interested newbish coders would try to join th eproject and start submitting sloppy code, which would need to be managed, etc. And who would end up doing most of that? Toady. So instead of the one guy we know is capable of programming this amazing game, we have a bunch of guys who don't know much about the code submitting things that the knowledgable one has to edit or whatever. It just seems like it's not the best idea.

However, a fan-made offline manual would be awesome and take that load off Toady's shoulders. Though I think a wiki is a better idea concidering the scope of DF. Just put a "getting started" guide in there. Gameplay tutorials are nice, but there's also a place for something more about the game elements and how they interact, like a manual, rather than a tutorial which shows you how to do those things.

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 17, 2006, 01:40:00 pm »

So there's a wiki running now, I think, though I'm not sure the site has been 100% decided on.  There's a thread or two here going on them, and elsewhere.

Threetoe and I wrote a  FAQ last night.  It is by no means complete, but we put a little thing on open-source there.

Combat is one of those things that gets little additions to it quite frequently, and occasionally large coding pushes, but it rarely impacts the overall architecture of the planning.  Even if it isn't mentioned when we discuss our plans, it will be worked on sporadically, like various other things.

The Toad, a Natural Resource:  Preserve yours today!