Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: Don't Jump In Lava  (Read 20662 times)

LumenPlacidum

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Don't Jump In Lava
« Reply #30 on: September 15, 2008, 09:37:30 am »

However may I ask: Why is the burden of proof on the "Them falling into lava by mistake makes sense" side?

Because that's what exists currently in the game.  Reality/cinematics/fun has to be shown to be sufficiently different from what currently exists in order to have what is there now be replaced.  Since we default to changing nothing, burden of proof favors what currently exists.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: September 15, 2008, 09:39:26 am »

However may I ask: Why is the burden of proof on the "Them falling into lava by mistake makes sense" side?

Because that's what exists currently in the game.  Reality/cinematics/fun has to be shown to be sufficiently different from what currently exists in order to have what is there now be replaced.  Since we default to changing nothing, burden of proof favors what currently exists.

You got it backwards... I think

Ascii Kid

• Bay Watcher
  • This is just a test
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: September 15, 2008, 10:42:12 am »

a) did you see people? Or did you yourself? If first how did you know what they would tell you?
[\quote]
I work at an all night convinence store in a university city, which is set up very close to a few crack houses.  Inevitably I've had to wail on people for everything from rushing at me trying to choak me to stealing stuff off the shelves.  In fact, four nights ago a drunk with a dog attacked me and, if you still don't believe that it's potentially life and death I'll send you pictures of teh bite/claw marks I've got all over my body.   nd if you're STILL not convinced I'll track down the guy and send you pictures of his broken thumb, shoulder and eye.  And you'll understand that, on this subject, I know where-of I speak.
b) Crossing over by red on heavy street is equal to a fight of life and death,... come on..
[\quote]
I don't understand this.  If you mean that running into traffic while distracted by dodging a punch ISN'T potentially lethal, then...well...I just don't know what else to say.  It is. 
"...you'll have you live with your GRANDmother and pick beans!"
-Homer

Dolohov

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: September 15, 2008, 11:56:38 am »

It seems to me that the solution is to make it so that dwarves who are better fighters dodge without moving.  That way the novice wrestlers will toss themselves off cliffs (like the idiot recruit who just claimed my fortress's only pair of adamantine trousers...) but the seasoned champions can fight on a cliff face with no danger.

Impaler[WrG]

• Bay Watcher
  • Khazad Project Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: September 15, 2008, 12:17:38 pm »

Yes make Wrestling skill allow a dwarf to not make those fatal 'dodges', its also been suggested that armor makes it harder to have situational awareness and increases the likely hood of a bad dodge, if thats implemented then Armor wearing skill should likewise reduce bad dodges but only to the point of nullifying the effects of any armor worn.

I find the dodging system to be good and reasonable but ONLY when units are actually fighting/grappling, dwarfs should not make random dodges when startled/frightened (aka they see a Carp in the river).  The instinctive response to fear is to freeze first and only run if then danger is coming towards you, thus situational awareness should be much greater then in combat.
Khazad the Isometric Fortress Engine
Extract forts from DF, load and save them to file and view them in full 3D

Khazad Home Thread
Khazad v0.0.5 Download

Ascii Kid

• Bay Watcher
  • This is just a test
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: September 15, 2008, 12:30:47 pm »

Yeah, that's a good point, having a distinct fear reaction that isn't leaping to the side would probably help.  Rocky McKnucklenob gasps with fright or something.
"...you'll have you live with your GRANDmother and pick beans!"
-Homer

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: September 15, 2008, 01:44:09 pm »

Yes make Wrestling skill allow a dwarf to not make those fatal 'dodges', its also been suggested that armor makes it harder to have situational awareness and increases the likely hood of a bad dodge, if thats implemented then Armor wearing skill should likewise reduce bad dodges but only to the point of nullifying the effects of any armor worn.

I find the dodging system to be good and reasonable but ONLY when units are actually fighting/grappling, dwarfs should not make random dodges when startled/frightened (aka they see a Carp in the river).  The instinctive response to fear is to freeze first and only run if then danger is coming towards you, thus situational awareness should be much greater then in combat.

Along with this... Some modifiers
1) Crawling should increase situational awareness (including if it allows you to spot traps >.>)
2) Being tired, injured, thirsty, or hungry should decrease situational awareness.
--Exception: Thirst and Hunger should increase situational awareness to be aware of food!
3) Martial Stance should increase it, Berzerk should decrease it, Cold Rage should have no effect (if it was in the game :D)

Wow I am silly!
Pages: 1 2 [3]