Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Yearly status report  (Read 3349 times)

Nesoo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Yearly status report
« on: September 13, 2008, 01:19:27 am »

(Edit: Holy wall of text! Consider this original part as the tl;dr version.)

Inspired by* Dolohov, we should have a yearly report. It could show such things as wealth produced that year, the number of each type of job that was completed, change in food/drinks, etc. It could have the numbers modified by the bookkeeper's settings, just like on the status and stocks screens. It would also, as in his comment, allow time for 1 year of world gen history stuff to occur. There could also be either an init option or (preferably) an in game toggle on the (o)rders screen for those who don't want to see it.

* Inspired by = Stolen from

Update:

Now that it's not 1 in the morning and I'm a bit more... awake, let's try a more organized list of what I personally would like to see:

+/- Change in:
  • Food - could have a sub list of the different types listed on the status screen: meat, fish, plant, and other
  • Drink
  • Wealth
  • Population - could also have a sub list for children and adults, or profession, or both (profession as a sub of adults?)

The +/-'s would be pretty easy to do: just remember what the numbers were last year (using zero for everything on the first year, of course) and subtract that from the current count.

This is meant to be a broad list to get a general idea of how your fortress is doing. Did that one legendary brewer crank out a lot more excess booze than those two professionals did last year, or did my overall booze stocks go down while he was running the show? I lost a lot of food this year, even though my population only went up 5. I'll have to see why that happened. Etc., etc.

Yearly Totals:
  • Exports
  • Imports
  • Migrants
  • Enemies killed - sub list of siegers, ambushers, thieves, kidnappers, and others? Could be combined with the ones below instead of it's own category
  • Ambushes (that are discovered and/or resolved; I don't think I've had one of these yet...)
  • Sieges (that are resolved, so a siege that's still going on at the end of the year doesn't count; it will count towards the next year's list, assuming it's solved then)
  • Jobs completed, especially:
    • Animals slaughtered
    • Corpses butchered
    • Completed hunts - huge discrepancies in these numbers can point out a large inefficiency with your butcher shops that you may not have noticed
    • Tanned hides - ditto with the tanner
    • Fish caught
    • Fish cleaned - for same reasons as above
    • Trees cut
  • How much food rotted

Those are the ones I'd like to see, though you could also include other fun totals like:

• Tiles mined - channeled, dug, ramps, stairs, removed up ramps/stairs, etc.
  • Items created - probably best to stick with broad categories

That's a lot to fit on one screen, so it might be best to pick and choose important ones, though it wouldn't hurt to have multiple pages or have the screen scrollable like the help windows. If a year of history were to be run during this time (as in that other suggestion thread, obviously an idea that I support) it should probably mention that input may not respond while the history is running.

Maybe it would be best to have some kind of RAW file to define it? Then it could be laid out however you want!

Code: [Select]
[COLUMN1]
[POPULATION] (change in population, no break down)
[FOOD] (change in food, no break down)
[DRINKS_BY_TYPE] (change in drinks with a sub list for each
type: sunshine, sewer brew, dwarven ale, etc.)

[COLUMN2]
[MIGRANTS] (total migrants, no break down)
[JOBS_COMPLETED] (total of each type of job that was completed)
[+JOBS_COMPLETED] (change in jobs completed compared to last year;
should display all that occurred in either year)

I think Toady's going to hate me now ;)
« Last Edit: September 14, 2008, 08:08:53 pm by Nesoo »
000508 □ [dwarf mode][flows] flooding over a full pond will kill the fish inside

Teldin

• Bay Watcher
  • Canadian Bacon
    • View Profile
Re: Yearly status report
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2008, 01:34:00 am »

Agreed! Good suggestion. Also it'd be nice to be able to save it somewhere in text file format, for succession games.

Tormy

• Bay Watcher
  • I shall not pass?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2008, 10:46:42 am »

Good idea, especially since I like to browse through in-game statistics.  8)

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2008, 11:41:38 am »

Id love it especially since I would know exactly where I am lacking!

Dolohov

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2008, 12:33:45 pm »

Steal away; you've definitely improved on the idea.  I was mostly thinking just a tally of births and deaths.

Align

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2008, 05:19:14 pm »

I fully endorse it, lets try it at once!
My stray dogs often chase fire imps back into the magma pipe and then continue fighting while burning and drowning in the lava. Truly their loyalty knows no bounds, but perhaps it should.

Nesoo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2008, 08:07:26 pm »

Just a divider, those nice comments were to the part above the line in the original post. I've, um, expanded it a bit since then...
000508 □ [dwarf mode][flows] flooding over a full pond will kill the fish inside

mythmonster2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2008, 09:56:42 pm »

Great idea, it'd be nice to find out how much I'm making each year or how many thieves and snatchers have fallen that year.
Personally, I can't wait for doctors to get possessed and start surgically attaching axes to champion soldier's arms.
And neither can I...

numerobis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 14, 2008, 11:51:30 pm »

I have no point, I just want to say: "Bookkeeper cancels Writing Yearly Report: Administrator demanding cover sheet."

Main things I care about:
- immigration
- births
- legendaries minted, and artifacts
- deaths, with details
- kills

Dakej

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 15, 2008, 11:52:01 am »

It would be sweet if you could turn that into a graph over time for each stat, too, but that's probably asking way too much ATM. It would be an easy way to visualize that slaughter back in 317 when your population took a sharp dip, or how accidentally flooding all of the bedrooms on the bottom floor affected your economy.

Impaler[WrG]

• Bay Watcher
  • Khazad Project Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 15, 2008, 12:29:27 pm »

I like it but I would also make it a special ability attached to say the 'Manager' noble, he is the one that organizes jobs so its natural for him to keep track of what was completed in the year.
Khazad the Isometric Fortress Engine
Extract forts from DF, load and save them to file and view them in full 3D

Khazad Home Thread
Khazad v0.0.5 Download

SocietalEclipse

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 16, 2008, 12:14:22 am »

I would appreciate such a feature.

Dame de la Licorne

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats? Check. FPS? Uh-oh...
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 16, 2008, 12:48:32 pm »

Nice.  I'd like this added.
If software was real world, then it'd be something equivalent of hitting a nail with a hammer and having a building collapse on the other side of town.

Don't worry people, sometimes -moments occur

Cavalcadeofcats

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 16, 2008, 07:35:37 pm »

Yeah, this is a rad idea. Customization seems like a better fit for init.txt than the raws, though.

EDIT: Added it to the Eternal Suggestion page. Feel free to vote for it.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2008, 07:38:23 pm by Cavalcadeofcats »

Granite26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 18, 2008, 02:07:42 pm »

It would be sweet if you could turn that into a graph over time for each stat, too, but that's probably asking way too much ATM. It would be an easy way to visualize that slaughter back in 317 when your population took a sharp dip, or how accidentally flooding all of the bedrooms on the bottom floor affected your economy.

With an export solution, you should be able to import it into excel and get savy people to do all that offline.

Would help to see what people found useful before throwing charts in.

Although double entry bookkeeping might be as far as we could go in period ;)
Pages: [1] 2