As you may be aware, Dwarf Fortress' approach to OpenGL leaves something to be desired. To the point of my writing terrible hacks like DF Accelerator, even..
At any rate, Toady has decided to do something about that, and did it by releasing the relevant source code in the form of Battle Champs for others to fix.
This has been done: The code has been converted to use SDL by Bernard Helyer, and the OpenGL code has been rewritten by yours truly. It is almost complete. However, for Toady to accept the code into the next version of DF, your assistance is required: It must be tested. For this, you are required.Download links
OS X: http://www.bay12games.com/dwarves/df_28_181_40d13_osx.tar.bz2For linux users, the following link contains a tarball with the newest fixes, which will be officially released in 40d14. It must be unpacked on top of the 40d13 tarball.
Linux 40d13 HEAD: http://brage.info/~svein/df-40d13-head.tar.bz2For users on Linux and OS X, run the df script, don't run the dwarfort.exe executable directly.New features in 40d13 (vs. 40d)
- Translucent tilesets are supported, using PNG.
- The DF window can be resized on the fly.
- The DF window can be zoomed on the fly using the mouse wheel. There are two modes, it defaults to mode 1. Pressing mouse wheel switches modes. Pressing F12 resets mode 1, not 2. In mode 1, the zoom from mode 2 is not visible. (And yes, you can use both at once)
- The keyboard input system has been totally rewritten:
* You can bind multiple keys to one command
* You can create keyboard macros
* Input bindings are divided into sections
- Lots of bugfixes and performance improvements.Upcoming features in 40d14 or 40d13 HEAD
Grid size autogenerated
Fullscreen resolution autogenerated
Please download it, run it, and test with all the different tilesets and grid sizes your hearts desire. Graphics sets, too.Bug-tracker
There should be a list of known bugs at http://github.com/Baughn/Dwarf-Fortress--libgraphics-/issues
. Feel free to add yours there when you report it.
- Tiles may show black borders when zooming. Fixed, d14/d13-head
- The mouse buttons get stuck when designating. Fixed, d14/d13-head
- Various keyboard issues. Fixed, d14/d13-headTips and tricks
- Make sure you test all the combinations for buffers/partial printing that Toady suggests in init.txt.
- Make sure to try the debug version (not up yet) before posting about problems, if you run linux. If you don't run linux, try running linux.Source code
For the perennially curious, or programmers, the source code (that is still under active development) can be found at git://github.com/Baughn/Dwarf-Fortress--libgraphics-.git. It uses the git version-control system, and can also be seen in a browser at http://github.com/Baughn/Dwarf-Fortress--libgraphics-/tree/master
Compiling this code gives a functional DF, but it can only be compiled on Linux.