Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: On subject of food  (Read 2911 times)

Creamcorn

• Bay Watcher
  • [FANCIFUL]
    • View Profile
On subject of food
« on: December 23, 2008, 06:49:43 pm »

Would it be O.K. to change how food raws are handled? If not I just had an idea of how to handle certain food bloats.

Right now food items are handled like this.

[MATGLOSS_PLANT:MUSHROOM_HELMET_PLUMP]
[TILE:6][COLOR:5:0:0]
[NAME:plump helmet][NAME_PLURAL:plump helmets]
[GROWDUR:300][VALUE:2]
[DRINK:dwarven wine:5:0:0]
[DRINKVALUE:2]
[SEEDNAME:plump helmet spawn][SEED:4:0:1]
[GENPOWER:2]
[SPRING][SUMMER][AUTUMN][WINTER]
[FREQUENCY:100]
[CLUSTERSIZE:5]
[EDIBLE_VERMIN]
[EDIBLE_RAW]
[PREFSTRING:rounded tops]
[WET][DRY][BIOME:SUBTERRANEAN_WATER]

There are no raws for meat, but right now IRL there's only so much you can do with meat.

Anyway I believe tags like this in food items would help improve the versatility of bloats.

Soooo, Plumphelmets, blah, blah, blah other raw stuff.
[COOKED:LAYERONE:
#The tag that determines whether it can be cooked in its raw form. "LAYERONE" controls what the item after the : can continue in its descriptions when cooked.
Steamed:Broiled:etc:LAYERTWO
#If not the main ingredient this controls the syntax of the meal, and how the item is prepared
:sliced:chopped:etc:LAYERS:minced:diced
#LAYER in its plural form controls how DF will describe the cooked item in its more generic form. Also LAYERS of course go from ONE to FOUR because of how DF handles everything; cooking.

So I guess everything would look like this.

[COOKED:LAYERONE:Steamed:Broiled:LAYERTWO:sliced:chopped:LAYERS:minced:diced]

So if this ever gets implemented we could hopefully see something like this.

This is a stack of finely prepared Steamed Plump helmet stew. The ingredients are finely sliced plump helmets, and finely diced plump helmets.

If anyone thinks this is a good idea they could expand on this whole thing.
"OH NO! That carp is gulping at me menacingly, even though it cannot really threaten me from here on land!  I KNOW! I'll dodge into the water, where I'll be safe!"

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: On subject of food
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2008, 08:12:08 pm »

Cleaver.

I mean.  Clever.

arkenphant

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2008, 01:40:16 am »

Nice... but stew with no broth?

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 24, 2008, 12:01:30 pm »

Stewed in their own juices, I'm sure.

SirHoneyBadger

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware those who would keep knowledge from you.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 25, 2008, 01:05:56 am »

This is a good idea!

I wouldn't mind seeing some consideration given to items that food is cooked in (water, oil, butter, wine), and the method used to cook it (steamed, fried, poached, roasted, barbequed), separate from the ingredients themselves. And also, if one item is the main ingredient (like a fish, or chunks of goat, or oatmeal mush, whatever), then maybe there could be a text to show that.

So you might see something like "This is a stack of finely prepaired Steamed Plump Helmet Stew, with Diced Plump Helmets in a Plump Helmet butter sauce. The ingredients are: finely sliced Plump Helmets, finely diced Plump Helmets, and Plump Helmet butter."
For they would be your masters.

Tormy

• Bay Watcher
  • I shall not pass?
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 25, 2008, 07:53:42 am »

Cleaver.

I mean.  Clever.

+1. I like this idea.  :)

Creamcorn

• Bay Watcher
  • [FANCIFUL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 26, 2008, 01:38:26 pm »

This is a good idea!

I wouldn't mind seeing some consideration given to items that food is cooked in (water, oil, butter, wine), and the method used to cook it (steamed, fried, poached, roasted, barbequed), separate from the ingredients themselves. And also, if one item is the main ingredient (like a fish, or chunks of goat, or oatmeal mush, whatever), then maybe there could be a text to show that.

So you might see something like "This is a stack of finely prepaired Steamed Plump Helmet Stew, with Diced Plump Helmets in a Plump Helmet butter sauce. The ingredients are: finely sliced Plump Helmets, finely diced Plump Helmets, and Plump Helmet butter."

That sounds very interesting, I don't know much about cooking methods so I just put what sounded nice. The showing what the meal is followed by it's ingredients is a very descriptive way to describe the meal.

You know I was also thinking about the taste of things right now dorfs prefer certain food items. I'd really like to see Urist Mcdwarf prefers the taste of sweet, bitter, and spicy meals.

Having a tag that determines the taste of something on a food item would help flesh out the meals system. So for the sake of the idea I'll say that plump helmets have a [BITTER] taste, while of course [SWEET] pods are sweet. So going over this idea again we could have something like...

This is a stack of finely prepared Broiled Plump Helmet stew, with diced pieces of sweet pod thrown in sprinkled with sweet pod sugar. The ingredients are finely chopped plump helmets, finely diced sweet pods, and sweet pod sugar.
The taste of this meal is a strong sweet taste with a bitter after flavor.

Hm, anyone know of anything like this with a similar flavor? I was also thinking of adding a texture description, but lets leave that for later.
"OH NO! That carp is gulping at me menacingly, even though it cannot really threaten me from here on land!  I KNOW! I'll dodge into the water, where I'll be safe!"

SirHoneyBadger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 28, 2008, 12:15:57 am »

Well, bitter flavor usually denotes the presence of a toxin (this doesn't mean the food is poisonous, though).

Mushrooms tend to have a savory flavor, almost meaty. Enoki mushrooms can be a little bitter, especially raw, but it's not typical.

Bitter tastes are found more in things like certain berries, spices (bay is bitter), and some sugars (honey, molasses). Some leafy vegetables are bitter, too, like spinach or collards.

There are five different basic tastes: sweet, sour, salty, bitter, and umami (savory).

By the way, one thing that I absolutely want to see in the game is the ability to smoke, barbeque, and otherwise preserve our foodstuffs, with the addition of the requisite building-types (smokehouse, pit barbeque, etc). I mean, what goes better with beer than ribs?
« Last Edit: December 28, 2008, 12:57:35 am by SirHoneyBadger »

ogion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 28, 2008, 07:53:36 am »

*snip* molasses *snip*

Now that's something to add to the brewery's task list! =) Would require sweetpods I guess.....
Sy wut?! Me ranger is fishing in the well??? He better not catch anything...

Veroule

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 28, 2008, 07:27:36 pm »

Simple, efficient, and capable of much of what I was suggesting with a more complex system.  This would be a definite improvment to the food department, and has my support.
"Please, spare us additional torture; and just euthanise yourselves."
Delivered by Tim Curry of Clue as a parody of the lead ass from American Idol in the show Psych.

Creamcorn

• Bay Watcher
  • [FANCIFUL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 28, 2008, 08:54:00 pm »

Well, bitter flavor usually denotes the presence of a toxin (this doesn't mean the food is poisonous, though).

Mushrooms tend to have a savory flavor, almost meaty. Enoki mushrooms can be a little bitter, especially raw, but it's not typical.

Bitter tastes are found more in things like certain berries, spices (bay is bitter), and some sugars (honey, molasses). Some leafy vegetables are bitter, too, like spinach or collards.

There are five different basic tastes: sweet, sour, salty, bitter, and umami (savory).

By the way, one thing that I absolutely want to see in the game is the ability to smoke, barbeque, and otherwise preserve our foodstuffs, with the addition of the requisite building-types (smokehouse, pit barbeque, etc). I mean, what goes better with beer than ribs?

Ah! This is certainly good stuff, especially the meats production, although to be honest I don't like alcohol. I guess I'm not as a hard core DF player as I think I am. :P

Hey is charred or smokey a flavor? I guess texture should certainly be left to meats, as they are quite possibly more important than to fruits or vegetables, which usually have crisp or juicy texture. Honestly I don't want to fill up DF with too many bloaty stuff, of course all of you should also be aware of hard drive space, than again size could quintuple in the next couple of years, so lets keep thinking.

Glad to see everyone likes this mess of an idea I came up with.

SirHoneyBadger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 28, 2008, 09:18:08 pm »

'Smokey' is definitely a flavor.

Hardwood can add a lot of flavor to anything it's used to cook. Applewood, hickory, mesquite, they all have distinct tastes.

Dwarfs could also use the barrels where wine and liquor have been stored for a long time, to cook with, for enhanced flavor (ala Jack Daniels barrel wood, which is very nice).

I suspect, when you say "charred", what you're referring to is the caramelization of the sugars--either the sugars contained within the meat itself, and/or the sugars in a sauce that's been applied to a meat.