Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: I'm having trouble with the world painter  (Read 4047 times)

Rakis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
I'm having trouble with the world painter
« on: January 12, 2009, 09:26:14 am »

Whenever I right click to drag the screen it almost never moves.  I'll have painted some forest and mountains and such so I'm aware of whether or not it's scrolling, but it usually doesn't.  I have to really quickly click and flick the mouse to get it to move, and sometimes that works but it's pretty time consuming and annoying.  I certainly can't seem to get anywhere if I hold the right mouse button and drag, that does nothing.  Anyone have an idea of what's wrong? 

I'm on Windows XP if that makes any difference.

Mikko

Re: I'm having trouble with the world painter
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2009, 12:31:41 pm »

Whenever I right click to drag the screen it almost never moves.  I'll have painted some forest and mountains and such so I'm aware of whether or not it's scrolling, but it usually doesn't.  I have to really quickly click and flick the mouse to get it to move, and sometimes that works but it's pretty time consuming and annoying.  I certainly can't seem to get anywhere if I hold the right mouse button and drag, that does nothing.  Anyone have an idea of what's wrong? 

I'd say it just uses up you CPU so much that it's near halt. Let it "concenrate" and stop disturbing the art of world generating.

Peewee

• Bay Watcher
  • Watcher Of Bays
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2009, 10:28:18 am »

use the keyboard luke.

Rakis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2009, 09:18:21 pm »

It's not possible to use the keyboard in the world painter, or if it is, I don't know how.  The arrow keys do nothing, with or without shift, alt, or ctrl pressed.  The numpad arrow keys also do nothing with or without numlock on.  Wasd also do nothing. 

I tried playing with the key hold repeat value in the init, [KEY_HOLD_MS:150] but it didn't make any difference.  Partial print on or off didn't help any.  Changing the global fps cap was the only thing that did make a difference, it's less of a pain but still a pain to move the screen set at 60 than it was at 1000.  Changing the value to a very low one didn't make it better though.
It's somewhat of a non-issue to me at present since i finished painting, but it's still troublesome.

lastofthelight

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2009, 10:11:52 pm »

I avoid the world painter. It makes no sense, and until there is a thorough wiki page dedicated to it (no idea why there isn't) or until toady writes up an instruction manual for it, I'll continue to avoid it.

Skorpion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2009, 11:26:52 pm »

Forgive the dumb question, but what IS the world painter?
The *large serrated steel disk* strikes the Raven in the head, tearing apart the muscle, shattering the skull, and tearing apart the brain!
A tendon in the skull has been torn!
The Raven has been knocked unconcious!

Elves do it in trees. Humans do it in wooden structures. Dwarves? Dwarves do it underground. With magma.

CobaltKobold

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼HOOD☼ ☼ROBE☼ ☼DAGGER☼ [TAIL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2009, 02:10:19 am »

Skorpion: Design new world with parameters, pick your parameter set, hit e to alter advanced parameters, hit p to alter defaults= world painter. Interface is mouse, a little number typing. *writes brief summary of knowledge gained in past minutes*

The World Painter As I Understand It
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

40d or 40d*? 40d drags fine, but 40d9 (for instance) won't register mousehold on worldpainter for some reason, I just found out.

So, fire up your old 'ersion, since worldgen prefs are portable between 'ersions.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2009, 02:37:19 am by CobaltKobold »
Neither whole, nor broken. Interpreting this post is left as an exercise for the reader.
OCEANCLIFF seeding, high z-var(40d)
Tilesets

Rakis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2009, 05:11:57 am »

40d7, didn't update to d9.  Thanks a lot for figuring out the old version drags properly, it never occurred to me it may have gotten broken in all these updates.  Wish I had known about that before I finished but maybe I'll do some detail work in vanilla 40d now.  I've learned a lot with the painter, spent a great deal of hours with it and testing subsequent fortress sites, I'm just reluctant to write up a wiki because I've never worked on a wiki before.

CobaltKobold

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼HOOD☼ ☼ROBE☼ ☼DAGGER☼ [TAIL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2009, 05:19:34 am »

I thought to check it because the input code's been screwed with and the mouse changes bugged me by changing the only other place I know it's used, designation screen...
Neither whole, nor broken. Interpreting this post is left as an exercise for the reader.
OCEANCLIFF seeding, high z-var(40d)
Tilesets