Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 93 94 [95] 96 97 ... 1065

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress: List of Remaining Items  (Read 3530831 times)

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress: List of Remaining Items
« Reply #1410 on: April 03, 2009, 10:08:30 am »

That gives me an awesome idea!  And like all awesome ideas, it is shamelessly stolen from one of the greatest games of all time ;D

"No Urist, you are the demons!"
And then Urist was a troglodyte.
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

BirdoPrey

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1411 on: April 03, 2009, 10:28:50 am »

That gives me an awesome idea!  And like all awesome ideas, it is shamelessly stolen from one of the greatest games of all time ;D

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Do you think dwarf fortress will eventually become this? where forts could create huge world-spanning plots and events and future adventurers / forts could try to fix the problems and such? Because if that's what's in store for DF I don't think I'm ever going to stop playing.

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1412 on: April 03, 2009, 10:38:22 am »

"No Urist, you are the demons!"
And then Urist was a troglodyte.

Haha.

So anyway, a next-version related question: will all of the oddball materials like glass, charcoal, potash, and of course water (the kind that gets carried in waterskins, not the flowing kind) be moved out into the raws too?
« Last Edit: April 03, 2009, 10:45:03 am by Footkerchief »

Qmarx

• Bay Watcher
  • "?"
    • View Profile
« Reply #1413 on: April 03, 2009, 02:31:37 pm »

You know, if chasm critters could form a human monstrous ladder, and climb over each other to get to a higher Z level, it would be a little easier to have them invade....

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
« Reply #1414 on: April 03, 2009, 02:44:24 pm »

Hmm... How about if the beliefs of surface entities- particularly the spheres of gods related to death and so on- influence what you find when you go underground near them? Say, if you enter caves near a human civ with a god of Death and Plagues, then the underground around there will have a lot of disease-related creatures, and if you travel over to a goblin stronghold with a Demon of Death, Caves, and Fire, then you find more and more fire-related areas. Near a Dwarf Mountainholm, you might find the realm of Litast, god of Caverns, Gems, Wealth, and Lies, with significantly more gems and such in the walls and on the floor, but inhabited by clever trickster demons or something.
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

Vlynndar

• Bay Watcher
  • To the skies! All of them!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1415 on: April 03, 2009, 03:09:36 pm »

Near a Dwarf Mountainholm, you might find the realm of Litast, god of Caverns, Gems, Wealth, and Lies, with significantly more gems and such in the walls and on the floor, but inhabited by clever trickster demons or something.

Or pyrite (fools gold) and related fake gems/preciousses.
For that viciously bad pun, I'm gonna introduce a NPC named Vlynndar just so that I can kill him of in a cruel and unusual way.
Watermelons are pretty important.

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1416 on: April 03, 2009, 05:58:10 pm »

"You have found the '1Ring' not to be confused with the 'One Ring' This ring has an image of the number 1 on it in what appears to be precious diamonds, but turns out to be made of low quality quartz.  Scratching it reveals the ring to be made of scrap copper painted gold.  After searching the area a little more you discover a barrel full of the useless trinkets."

remove 1ring

'but it is cursed!'

You now have 50 1ring -1

You are overburdened.
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

Chandrasekhar

• Bay Watcher
  • [DIES_WHEN_KILLED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1417 on: April 03, 2009, 08:03:41 pm »

"You have found the '1Ring' not to be confused with the 'One Ring' This ring has an image of the number 1 on it in what appears to be precious diamonds, but turns out to be made of low quality quartz.  Scratching it reveals the ring to be made of scrap copper painted gold.  After searching the area a little more you discover a barrel full of the useless trinkets."

remove 1ring

'but it is cursed!'

You now have 50 1ring -1

You are overburdened.
#pray

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1418 on: April 03, 2009, 08:29:40 pm »

How about if the beliefs of surface entities- particularly the spheres of gods related to death and so on- influence what you find when you go underground near them?

While I like the idea, it makes me kinda want there to be a Dream Realm that is a reflection of the mass consciousness of the beings inhabiting the world.

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1419 on: April 04, 2009, 07:41:46 am »

Quote from: dev log
04/03/2009: The framework for world-level underground layers is up, and I have world generation placing a preliminary set of them (it's currently doing it in a pretty pervasive way, but you'll most likely be able to tone that down from the generation parameters). Next I need to handle the mid-level and local realizations. The current infrastructure for local map features should (mostly) survive, so many of the problems of integrating the new layers with the game are already handled, and things like wildlife wandering in from the edges can just be adapted from the current outside wilderness populations (since the underground layers store them the same way).

Some people asked what I meant by "creature interactions" last time. I meant anything the current outside and inside wilderness populations are used for -- hunting, things for wandering dwarves to bump into, more concerted attacks on the fortress (which are currently scheduled but don't often work due to the nature of the features -- you might remember them from 2D), and other intruders (you might also remember this sort of thing from 2D). It's unclear to what extent the more civilized underground dwellers will remain in their populations or how much they'll be elevated into entity status. If they have items they'll probably need to be pulled up entirely to make things work smoothly, so that wouldn't fit in the same framework.

Before that I'll just be working on some map generation. I also think I'll be able to update discovery/revealing of the local underground so that it depends more on where your dwarves have actually been, instead of revealing everything. Active LOS around every dwarf isn't feasible, but it can push the frontier off through the connected areas when a dwarf is vaguely nearby, anyway, so that there can be enormous connected (adventure-explorable) caverns without having them pre-revealed just because you have some dwarves tinkering around far, far above. I'm sure there will be some issues, but that's normal. This doesn't mean everything will be connected... I guess that might as well be up to world generation, anyway.

a woot echoes in the chasm

Krash

• Bay Watcher
  • The one and only
    • View Profile
« Reply #1420 on: April 04, 2009, 08:47:25 am »

True, this is pretty awesome.  I'm already looking forward to the increased challenge of surviving what delves in the depths
MyLittlePonyBuiltMyHotRod, this is your first warning. I would like to direct you to read our forum's FAQ and posting guidelines before posting again. Specifically we don't use swear words here, and your picture of Stalin riding a Year3 Limited Edition Starflower inside a German concentration camp was both upsetting and historically inaccurate.

zchris13

• Bay Watcher
  • YOU SPIN ME RIGHT ROUND~
    • View Profile
« Reply #1421 on: April 04, 2009, 10:09:53 am »

True, this is pretty awesome.  I'm already looking forward to the increased challenge of surviving what delves in the depths
I think my brain just imploded.
this sigtext was furiously out-of-date and has been jettisoned

jaked122

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:Lurker tendancies]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1422 on: April 04, 2009, 11:02:33 am »

this will be awesome,
[NOEAT][NO_SLEEP][NO_DRINK][NOEXERT]
finally my immortal dwarf super soldiers come to life through material of organs and skin

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1423 on: April 04, 2009, 01:09:03 pm »

I barely understand some of what Toady written today (my brain isn't really working lately)

So from what I understand there can be underground layers where creatures live?

Areyar

• Bay Watcher
  • Ecstatic about recieving his own E:4 mug recently
    • View Profile
« Reply #1424 on: April 04, 2009, 01:18:04 pm »

"woot!" ... that is the sound a mortally surprised dwarf makes. (intro)

@mission statement:
50 billion $ZIM banknotes.... that's worth less than the postalcharges.... oh wait, they are expired.
Well you could use them to draw crayon drawings on. :D

@neoN:
I think there is a whole underwold generated now, I think it means generally more caves connecting the underground stuff ...maybe even underground civs digging road tunnels etc.

My images bucket for WIPs and such: link
Pages: 1 ... 93 94 [95] 96 97 ... 1065