Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: PEW PEW! Bay12 Outage Checking program!  (Read 2609 times)

Granite26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: PEW PEW! Bay12 Outage Checking program!
« Reply #15 on: January 29, 2009, 02:10:40 pm »

DoS attacks work by flooding an address with useless traphic to crash the server.  Run this on enough computers, it'll work.  Your virus protection SHOULD pick this up.  (even if monitoring uptime on the server is an... acceptable... application

Sowelu

• Bay Watcher
  • I am offishially a penguin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 29, 2009, 02:15:23 pm »

DoS attacks work by flooding an address with useless traphic to crash the server.  Run this on enough computers, it'll work.  Your virus protection SHOULD pick this up.  (even if monitoring uptime on the server is an... acceptable... application

uhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhno.

COMPUTER SECURITY DOES NOT WORK THAT WAY.  And stop scaring the newbies.

On the other hand, I've written a program to do this for MUDs before, to test for lag, and got asked to stop doing it.  Now clearly forums are a little higher bandwidth but I still don't think it's a good idea to start hitting some's site automatically like this without permission.
Some things were made for one thing, for me / that one thing is the sea~
His servers are going to be powered by goat blood and moonlight.
Oh, a biomass/24 hour solar facility. How green!

Granite26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 29, 2009, 02:58:40 pm »

traphic?  WTF was I thinking?

Anyway, you're wrong...  It does work that way.

Taritus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 29, 2009, 03:22:56 pm »

I forgot how easy it is to ping flood someone with a single ping every 30 minutes.  You cause more stress on the server by viewing a topic.  I'm not using sleep 1800000, mainly because sleep doesn't like to work on all computers, and anyone running an old system won't be able to use it.  Hell, Vista doesn't even seem to have the option to use sleep to make the batch wait.

@Those wondering what this batch files is for:  Occasionally Bay12 will be inaccessible and time out for people.  I'm attempting to gather information about when it's timing out, that way there's a chance of us finding why it's timing out.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2009, 03:26:47 pm by Taritus »

Granite26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 29, 2009, 04:10:29 pm »

I forgot how easy it is to ping flood someone with a single ping every 30 minutes.  You cause more stress on the server by viewing a topic.  I'm not using sleep 1800000, mainly because sleep doesn't like to work on all computers, and anyone running an old system won't be able to use it.  Hell, Vista doesn't even seem to have the option to use sleep to make the batch wait.

@Those wondering what this batch files is for:  Occasionally Bay12 will be inaccessible and time out for people.  I'm attempting to gather information about when it's timing out, that way there's a chance of us finding why it's timing out.

I'm not saying it's a problem, just that virus checkers look for that sort of thing BECAUSE it's the same form as a DoS attacker.  Take away a few 0's and run it on 100 computers, and it's DoS...

Sowelu

• Bay Watcher
  • I am offishially a penguin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 29, 2009, 08:19:19 pm »

It doesn't work by analyzing random BAT files and saying "oh gee, this user is pinging something, it must be hostile".
Some things were made for one thing, for me / that one thing is the sea~
His servers are going to be powered by goat blood and moonlight.
Oh, a biomass/24 hour solar facility. How green!

Taritus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 29, 2009, 10:20:30 pm »

Just shut up.  This isn't supposed to be a discussion about DDOS'ing something.  It's about fixing downtime, not causing it.  Just make the batch file, and run it.  Please.  Post if you've done so and then post your results after you actually get some (I actually have only gotten one, at 2:25AM yesterday).

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 30, 2009, 01:27:40 am »

It doesn't work by analyzing random BAT files and saying "oh gee, this user is pinging something, it must be hostile".

Like Granite said, it's the exact same form as something that WOULD be hostile, and the only difference is the time involved. So security software should at least pick it up as a warning; it's not like you can't override that sort of thing.
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

MuonDecay

• Bay Watcher
  • Say hello to my little μ
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 30, 2009, 04:42:37 am »

I think you folks are giving antivirus heuristics a little bit too much credit. They are far, far stupider than that. This is why they have so many false positives (especially a number of the free ones).

Yanlin

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary comedian.
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 30, 2009, 05:53:30 am »

Avast! is rather reliable.

Now about this program. Wouldn't it be easier to just set up a cheap server that pings this forum every minute? That wont cause any more lag than us reading. In fact, this post will probably eat more bandwidth than that.

But if a lot of people run it, it CAN DoS the forums. Notice the "A lot"
WE NEED A SLOGAN!

Taritus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 30, 2009, 07:13:43 am »

We'd need 1800 people running it to even ping the server once every second, which is still not even stress on the server at all.  We'd start crashing if we had 180000 doing it, but unfortunately I don't think the forums have that volume of people, let alone people who are going to run this batch file.

Granite26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 30, 2009, 11:41:10 am »

We'd need 1800 people running it to even ping the server once every second, which is still not even stress on the server at all.  We'd start crashing if we had 180000 doing it, but unfortunately I don't think the forums have that volume of people, let alone people who are going to run this batch file.
wow... 180000 people is a lot of people...

Techhead

• Bay Watcher
  • Former Minister of Technological Heads
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 30, 2009, 12:05:16 pm »

It is analogous the difference between softly poking someone every so often and viscously stabbing them every so often.
Engineering Dwarves' unfortunate demises since '08
WHAT?  WE DEMAND OUR FREE THINGS NOW DESPITE THE HARDSHIPS IT MAY CAUSE IN YOUR LIFE
It's like you're all trying to outdo each other in sheer useless pedantry.

Baughn

• Noble Phantasm
  • The Haruhiist
  • Hiss
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 30, 2009, 03:08:30 pm »

This is ridiculous. A ping packet is 84 bytes, and handled at the lowest levels of the OS; it puts no load on the machine, and barely any on the network.

If you had twelve people pinging B12 once a second, you'd cause a grand total of.. one kilobyte/second of traffic. Hardly fatal.
C++ makes baby Cthulhu weep. Why settle for the lesser horror?

Granite26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 30, 2009, 03:44:20 pm »

yeah... 12 is not a lot of people
Pages: 1 [2] 3