Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Can't melt gold or platinum chests (furniture?) [40d]  (Read 4786 times)

RC

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Can't melt gold or platinum chests (furniture?) [40d]
« on: March 01, 2009, 10:17:40 pm »

This occurs after melting a variety of other things first (had statues made of gold I set melt)
The dwarf on the magma furnace will just sit on the job (you can see the TSK when viewing it with 't') and no progress will be made.

If you reproduce it with a normal smelter, the dwarf will keep running back and forth and use up all the charcoal with no progress.

iron armor and gold statues melt with no problem.  I didn't try making iron furniture.

The changes I made included [SPEED:1] in the creature_standard.txt and removing all the clothing items in the entity_default.txt.

numerobis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Can't melt gold or platinum chests (furniture?) [40d]
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2009, 12:44:16 pm »

I just noticed the same, against 40d#16: http://www.bay12games.com/forum/index.php?topic=46988.0

Summary: several of us see the same behaviour with unmodded dwarves, trying to melt various metal chests.  IronyOwl reports that the dwarf works on the chest for a while, gets experience for doing the job, consumes a unit of fuel, but the chest survives, still designated for melting (I was having the problem on a magma forge, no fuel required).  Contra: Hyndis reports seeing chests disappear without issue.

All other items, including furniture (even cabinets), melt down without issue.

Hyndis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2009, 02:34:23 pm »

I haven't checked things specifically, but the chests do seem to melt down just fine, eventually.

I'll take a look at this later on when I get a chance. it should be easy to replicate.

Embark someplace with some copper bars and some fuel, along with an anvil. Make a copper chest and then attempt to melt it down.

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2009, 02:51:39 pm »

A couple out-there questions:
1) Does this happen in pre-economy forts, post-economy forts, or both?
2) Do the chests have anything in them, such as a couple hundred coin stacks or whatever?  I saw one person in the linked thread say the chests were empty, but verification would be nice.
« Last Edit: December 28, 2009, 02:53:47 pm by Footkerchief »

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2009, 02:54:25 pm »

2) Do the chests have anything in them, such as a couple hundred coin stacks or whatever?  I saw one person in the linked thread say the chests were empty, but verification would be nice.

Er, how can a chest contain anything when it hasn't even been built? The instant you deconstruct a chest, all of its contents are dumped onto the floor.
« Last Edit: December 28, 2009, 03:02:17 pm by Quietust »
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2009, 03:00:54 pm »

Er, how can a chest contain anything when it hasn't even been built? The instant you deconstruct a chest, all of its contents are dumped onto the floor.

Oh, I didn't know they dump their contents automatically.  Never mind that one then.

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2009, 03:02:25 pm »

I just did a test embark with a blacksmith/furnace operator, architect/mason, 3 zinc bars, 2 charcoal, an anvil, and a pair of rocks. I built a metalsmith's forge and a smelter, then ordered a zinc chest to be forged. Once it was done, I designated it for melting and placed a "Melt a metal object" order at the smelter. The furnace operator carried the chest and a piece of charcoal to the smelter, worked for a few seconds, then returned to the wagon. Upon examining the smelter's inventory using the (t) menu, it still contained the zinc chest, marked for melting, and a distinct lack of charcoal.

This was done using 40d with no modifications other than the CAT_MOUTH fix.
« Last Edit: December 28, 2009, 03:10:27 pm by Quietust »
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.