Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Sanitation Abstraction  (Read 4758 times)

LogicalDash

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Sanitation Abstraction
« on: March 03, 2009, 10:12:00 pm »

I don't think it would be fun to have realistically simulated bodily wastes. However, I do want to build some elaborate plumbing for my fortress, beyond wells. So filth should be handled in an abstracted sort of way, like-a so:

Toilets are built in much the same way as wells. They won't work if they're not over water. Before going to sleep, your dwarf will try to use the nearest toilet; if it's easier to go outside the fortress, he'll do that instead. If he succeeds in reaching either toilet or outdoors in time, nothing happens, but if he goes to sleep before pooing, there's a 50/50 chance that he will start generating miasma. Just miasma, there's no actual waste item.

The plumbing needs to drain somewhere in order to work. For this, I think it would work best if the water tile under the toilet were marked "dirty" after use, and if there's already a dirty water tile under the toilet (or well!), it will not function.

Would this still be too repulsive?

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
Re: Sanitation Abstraction
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2009, 10:32:47 pm »

I think it sounds more hilarious than repulsive, but then again I've been wanting a stronger sanitation aspect for a long time, mostly so I have a cool reason to build a sewer.

Water already has some "contamination markers" to track things like salinity, stagnation and murkiness -- poo water could maybe fall under murkiness.

I don't think toilets should stop working when there's dirty water beneath, but they could pump out miasma.  Also, if toilets overflow, dwarves should have some unhappy thoughts like "was forced to wade through fouled water recently."

But having poop as an actual item would be pretty cool too.  Shit smears on those cave spider silk thongs to match the vomit smears around the mouth.  Rhesus macaques scaring off caravans by throwing poop at them.  All kinds of gloriously unhappy thoughts. 

Warlord255

• Bay Watcher
  • Master Building Designer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2009, 10:39:10 pm »

I'd prefer to be able to get a benefit from installing central heating than plumbing, but I can see your point.
DF Vanilla-Spice Revised: Better balance, more !!fun!!
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=173907.msg7968772#msg7968772

LeadfootSlim on Steam, LeadfootSlim#1851 on Discord. Hit me up!

¿

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2009, 11:03:23 pm »

Heating and plumbing usually go together. Water pipes.

Warlord255

• Bay Watcher
  • Master Building Designer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2009, 12:36:40 am »

Heating and plumbing usually go together. Water pipes.

Do you REALLY want warm sewage?

On the subject of fortress warmth; a Depot-vision mode for temperature would be pretty dandy.
DF Vanilla-Spice Revised: Better balance, more !!fun!!
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=173907.msg7968772#msg7968772

LeadfootSlim on Steam, LeadfootSlim#1851 on Discord. Hit me up!

Ezuku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2009, 08:14:54 am »

Sorry, why do you need water for a toilet? Pit drop.

Mondark

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2009, 09:35:23 am »

Sorry, why do you need water for a toilet? Pit drop.

Flushing, but I'm liking the pit drop idea.  It'd have to be cleared away sooner or later, whether by magma, water or forced goblin labor.  Hmmm....
Fefeshnelmargalip

Toady Two

• Bay Watcher
  • [CAN_SCIENCE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2009, 10:20:02 am »

A plumbing system that drives of dirty water off to the moat/chasm or a bucket related dwarven labor that gives the dwarf unhappy thoughts(unless he weird personality traits). Sewage would definitely make fortresses more challenging to plan. I'm afraid it would any real work that is already done in my fort will no longer be. Replaced by taking a leak/dump.

Mikademus

• Bay Watcher
  • Pirate ninja dwarves for great justice
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2009, 10:38:34 am »

Lol. the toilet and poop suggestion again :) It seems some shit will always stay...
You are a pirate!

Quote from: Silverionmox
Quote from: bjlong
If I wanted to recreate the world of one of my favorite stories, I should be able to specify that there is a civilization called Groan, ruled by Earls from a castle called Gormanghast.
You won't have trouble supplying the Countess with cats, or producing the annual idols to be offerred to the castle. Every fortress is a pale reflection of Ghormenghast..

Foa

• Bay Watcher
  • And I thought foxfire was stylish in winter.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 04, 2009, 10:40:11 am »

When dwarves goes number two or one, they use the number two liquid, MAGMA!!!

Tormy

• Bay Watcher
  • I shall not pass?
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 04, 2009, 10:54:46 am »

Lol. the toilet and poop suggestion again :) It seems some shit will always stay...

No shit.  ;D
-----
Oh and also...Toady Two? What the?!  :o

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 04, 2009, 11:11:38 am »

No shit.  ;D
-----
Oh and also...Toady Two? What the?!  :o
Ignore the escaped lunatic. He knows nothing. Now if it were a Bay Watcher...
 But post status stupidity aside, many of these things people don't want could be added if the dwarves react accordingly to them. It's the unintended bugs that make features like this unwanted.

Personally? I would love to design systems to dispose of waste. Hell, I would just have a refuse pit somewhere outside the fortress. Old castles often had small hills of refuse(both organic matter and waste products) on their sides from all their waste. I would like to see something like that.
 not to mention the Deathtrap potential.
Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO

Randominality

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:EAT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 04, 2009, 12:56:51 pm »

I'm liking the pit drop idea.  It'd have to be cleared away sooner or later, whether by magma, water or forced goblin labor.  Hmmm....

Not if the dwarves dangle their ass over a chasm - all the chasm dwellers would be really pissed off though.
Oh Gordon Freeman, what medical procedure can't you educate alien war machines about?

Mondark

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 04, 2009, 01:04:05 pm »

I'm liking the pit drop idea.  It'd have to be cleared away sooner or later, whether by magma, water or forced goblin labor.  Hmmm....

Not if the dwarves dangle their ass over a chasm - all the chasm dwellers would be really pissed off though.

If chasm invasions go back in...  all the nobles get their own chasm toilet!
Fefeshnelmargalip

Pilsu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 04, 2009, 02:26:13 pm »

Building a bucket into someone's room should serve the same purpose for those who don't want to dig elaborate tunnels. Not everyone has a chasm to dump it in

Pretty sure with the new material system you could make dwarves poop magma

Should creatures soil themselves when they die? If the player doesn't build toilets, how is the matter handled? Simply with shit coating on underwear, pants and bed?
« Last Edit: March 04, 2009, 02:29:53 pm by Pilsu »
Pages: [1] 2 3