Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Even smaller, simpler and faster Repeater (with handy auto-regulating cistern)  (Read 13485 times)

AncientEnemy

• Bay Watcher
  • The Answer is always POUR MAGMA ON IT
    • View Profile

Code: [Select]
~~~ River/brook
WwW Walls, wall to be channeled out after construction
WBW Raising Bridge (1 tile, direction doesn't matter) linked to plate
WPD Pressure plate set to 7-7, Door for access
WFW Floodgate linked to plate

just build it, link the bridge and floodgate to the plate, and connect it to the river.

operates on a handy fact that I realized while replying to another post; raising bridges used as a 'door' have the opposite ON/OFF setting of doors/floodgates/hatches. you don't even need an extraneous lever during setup, since the thing starts in the 'ready' position.

-water flows in, plate goes on
-bridge shuts, floodgate opens
-water flows onto floodgate, plate goes off
-floodgate shuts (smashing the water on it), bridge opens
-repeat

I don't know why I'm obsessed with repeaters, the fort I have going right now is just an elaborate testing ground for little mechanical widgets.

optionally, you could leave a passageway beyond the floodgate, and this setup would let in a slow but steady stream of water, removing any pressure in the process. it also has the odd (and potentially very useful) effect of keeping the passageway/cistern beyond the floodgate at a maximum of 3-4 water (probably because it reaches an equilibrium where the cistern is at 3-4, so it lets in a maximum of 3-4 water each cycle, then smashes a tile of 3-4)
« Last Edit: April 04, 2009, 11:01:14 pm by AncientEnemy »

Untelligent

• Bay Watcher
  • I eat flesh!
    • View Profile

Awesome! :D
« Last Edit: April 04, 2009, 09:58:47 pm by Untelligent »
The World Without Knifebear — A much safer world indeed.
regardless, the slime shooter will be completed, come hell or high water, which are both entirely plausible setbacks at this point.

Lord Dullard

• Bay Watcher
  • Indubitably.
    • View Profile
    • Cult: Awakening of the Old Ones

It would be pretty cool to just link up tons of spear traps all around you fort to this. And anything that came close to you would be instantly skewered.

...including your dwarves, which could be bad.

AncientEnemy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

It would be pretty cool to just link up tons of spear traps all around you fort to this. And anything that came close to you would be instantly skewered.

...including your dwarves, which could be bad.

actually, i've also come up with a design for an automated pet destroyer (well, the original idea was someone else's in the 'dwarven design cesspool' thread awhile back, it just combines well with automation) that would work (i assume) just as well against enemies. simply make a direct path covered in spear traps, all marked as restricted traffic, and then a longer path around it. pets (and probably invaders) will take the direct path because they don't bother with the traffic zones, while dwarves go around.

it'll still shred diplomats tho.

WWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW walls
WWWWW      WWWWW
WWWW  WWWW  WWWW
      RRRR       Repeating spikes, set to restricted traffic
      RRRR 
WWWW  WWWW  WWWW
WWWWW      WWWWW
WWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW
« Last Edit: April 04, 2009, 11:40:26 pm by AncientEnemy »

Atlas

• Bay Watcher
  • Supertitanly Tough
    • View Profile
    • Rideo- Latin For Lol

dwarves themselves don't always bother with the traffic zones...
Urist Austin, Axedwarf.  A dwarf barely alive.  Gentledwarves, we can rebuild him. We have the technology. We have the capability to build the world's first bionic dwarf. Urist Austin will be that dwarf. Better than he was before. Better, stronger, faster.

Martin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

it'll still shred diplomats tho.

Children too. And dwarves when the hallway clogs and the restricted cost is lower than the 'lie down and get walked over' cost.

Chromie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Bah, let the fools get slaughtered!

Aldaris

• Bay Watcher
  • [LIBERAL] [WANNABE_DORF] [CAVE_ADAPTED]
    • View Profile

It's not all the hard, just  make sure the restricted cost is 100 or something, and make sure the alternative route is only 4-5 tiles or so longer. Great ide, by the way. You could put a lever operated floddgate in front of this one in order to on/off the whole setup for, say... maintainance.
(Read: Recovering the iron and bones.)
but Baron Aqizzar had the firm advantage, battering Cthulhu with his Mighty Chin.
^Totally not out of context, promise.
The Liberal Crime Squad Community game, now with a Liberal Overdose of Liberally aplied Liberalism. -Liberally. (UBER-Hiatus, next update somewhere between now and 2012.)

AncientEnemy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

the thing with the auto-stabber is that the extra pathing cost to go around is either exactly the same, or a mere 4 more(depending on if diagonals cost more to travel than orthagonal)
versus
1     7
 2   6

so even with massive dorf traffic they aught not prefer the spiked path

i had one of these going for several months that was only 1 tile wide with no dividing wall like so:
WWWWWWW
WW   WW
  RRR 
WWWWWWW
as the only route between my meeting area and -everything else- and not a single dwarf got stabbed.

the difference in traffic cost is just too high, 25x4 restricted tiles or like 5-9 regular tiles. and i though children pathed according to traffic like other dorfs anyway
« Last Edit: April 05, 2009, 02:25:46 am by AncientEnemy »

kotekzot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

it's just natural selection if they decide to walk to their spikey death. great design.
Dwarf Fortress: Where violent death is a renewable resource
Bro, your like... thinking like a square man... its like, the WHOLE lamprey is just like, one big NECK dude, you know? its like hahahaha! dude protect the trees though, seriously. *inhale*... anyways... you like, want this dead black bear, bro?

betamax

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

...it also has the odd (and potentially very useful) effect of keeping the passageway/cistern beyond the floodgate at a maximum of 3-4 water (probably because it reaches an equilibrium where the cistern is at 3-4, so it lets in a maximum of 3-4 water each cycle, then smashes a tile of 3-4)
Congratulations, you've just created the automated dwarven swimming pool!

KirigStonebeard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Wouldn't this repeater design be extraordinarily slow thanks to the delay of the bridge?

And the constant 3-4 level thing is bizarre, I can't think of any reason whatsoever it should do that... with the plate set to 7-7 there should ALWAYS be a full tile of water to flow into the cistern when the gates open, and when they close they should have about the same level as the rest of the cistern to destroy, keeping the level constant until the next full tile's released... odd...

Martin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Well, any really useful repeater needs to be somewhat slow - otherwise the thing it's triggering won't happen before the switch flips. Try hooking a spike trap to a lever and set the lever to repeat - the trap rarely, if ever, fires because the switch is toggling before the trap can fire. The bridge (should) pretty much force the repeater to be just slow enough to be reliable.

betamax

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Well, any really useful repeater needs to be somewhat slow - otherwise the thing it's triggering won't happen before the switch flips. Try hooking a spike trap to a lever and set the lever to repeat - the trap rarely, if ever, fires because the switch is toggling before the trap can fire. The bridge (should) pretty much force the repeater to be just slow enough to be reliable.
Oh, so that's what a repeater is for! I thought it was just a novel water delivery system.

Mechanoid

• Bay Watcher
  • [INTELLIGENT]
    • View Profile

This is great.
I was just about to give up on my fort because of problems making a repeater; attempting to smash water to remove it from the map due to a lack of chasm, and needing one in order for my mechanical water systems (noble flooding pipes) to function.

Damn, it's so simple!
Someone, quick, PUT IT ON THE WIKI!

... NOW!
Quote from: Max White
"Have all the steel you want!", says Toady, "It won't save your ass this time!"
Pages: [1] 2 3