Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 345 346 [347] 348 349 ... 729

Author Topic: Face Palm moments you had in Dwarf Fortress  (Read 2095976 times)

AWdeV

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Face Palm moments you had
« Reply #5190 on: October 13, 2011, 06:29:49 am »

The bastard's corpse eventually was flushed off the map, which meant I couldn't even loot it.  ::)
That doesn't happen, as far as I know. What does happen is that water flow pushes items around and hides them. You can see them in the stocks screen and your dwarves can interact with them, but you can't see them by examining the tile they're on. Try finding the corpse in the stocks screen, it should be there and zoomable to even if you can't see it yourself.

Really? Good to know. Point is moot now anyway because that was a fort a while ago. Which I abandoned and deleted from saves. :P

Anyway, I'm working on pumping up water from my caverns into a reservoir quite a while up. All 26 pumps are in place and accessible (although that could do with some improvement) and I have a veritable legion of idlers idling. I noticed there was a small gap in the way I set it up. So I built a wall and moved the pump on the level above a square back. Hole fixed, commence pumping.

Moving that pump created a new hole and damn near drowned a weaponsmith. *smack forehead*
Teenage Bearded Axelord Turtles
Teenage Bearded Axelord Turtles
Urists in a half shell (Turtle Power)

FrisianDude

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5191 on: October 13, 2011, 08:06:12 am »

A forgotten beast humanoid of ash came and died without trouble. Almost directly afterwards a hairy nematode came and killed three of the Constructive Savants, a marksdwarf group, and a fourth one was wounded heavily and seems to be bleeding to death. Someone is coming to pick her up though.
A tiny, foul-tempered humanoid creature that dwells in the evil mountains. They are known to enjoy drinking liquor and will take any unguarded supplies of booze.

Kogut

• Bay Watcher
  • Next account: Bulwersator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5192 on: October 13, 2011, 09:56:35 am »

Spoiler: Ops, fire (click to show/hide)
The worst bug - 34.11 poll
Tired of going decades without goblin sieges? Try The Fortress Defense Mod
Kogut, the Bugfixes apostle of Bay12forum. Every posts he makes he preaches about the evil of Bugs.

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5193 on: October 13, 2011, 05:53:22 pm »

Glass is magma-safe. Also a lot cheaper and easily acquired than crap-to-melt.

Will have to consider this.  I unfortunately don't have any sand on my map, so I'd have to buy it instead, but that's probably faster and cheaper than melting anvils.
Through pain, I find wisdom.

blake77

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5194 on: October 13, 2011, 06:29:32 pm »

You can also make your pumps out of nether-cap. Since they have a fixed temperature, they should be magma safe.

Captain Mayhem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5195 on: October 14, 2011, 01:35:20 am »

Note to self: Never assign 25+ wardogs to your single, danger room trained, steel clad, legendary, squad leading axedwarf, if the rest of the squad are novices with bronze armor and silver warhammers.

He got a bit blue when half of his dogs died in his first battle. I got a bit blue five seconds later when he berserked and decided to claim one dwarven life for every dog that died.

Kogut

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5196 on: October 14, 2011, 02:56:13 am »

He should train army of dogs, trained animals follow their masters without counting as pet.
Kogut, the Bugfixes apostle of Bay12forum. Every posts he makes he preaches about the evil of Bugs.

Kogut

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5197 on: October 14, 2011, 06:14:57 am »

It is double post, but...

« Last Edit: October 14, 2011, 06:35:51 am by Kogut »

Seraphim342

• Bay Watcher
  • Magma Cum Laude
    • View Profile
« Reply #5198 on: October 14, 2011, 12:33:54 pm »

My most epic facepalm moment so far was learning about the Hidden Fun Stuff on the Wiki before fully understanding what Fun meant.  The description there and my own ignorance led me to believe that it was some kind of epic siege, and more to the point, survivable.  Something this challenging, I imagined, must have great rewards.  So I started mining Adamantium, thinking that a long line of cage traps between the dig site and my fortress would keep me completely safe, as they worked for the 3 Goblin sieges I had been through up to this point... wth predictable results. 

Finals score:
Dwarves 0
Fun 95
I like to think that on the other side of the world a human is walking on the beach, notices the water level suddenly drop twenty feet, and whispers "fucking dwarves."

"The cows seem to lose bowel control when launched... I consider this a feature."

Haspen

• Bay Watcher
  • Cthuwu
    • View Profile
« Reply #5199 on: October 14, 2011, 02:39:53 pm »

My most epic facepalm moment so far was learning about the Hidden Fun Stuff on the Wiki before fully understanding what Fun meant.  The description there and my own ignorance led me to believe that it was some kind of epic siege, and more to the point, survivable.  Something this challenging, I imagined, must have great rewards.  So I started mining Adamantium, thinking that a long line of cage traps between the dig site and my fortress would keep me completely safe, as they worked for the 3 Goblin sieges I had been through up to this point... wth predictable results. 

Finals score:
Dwarves 0
Fun 95

Welcome to FUN, enjoy your stay quick death :D
SigFlags!
Fire Emblem on Forums: 8! + 6re!
Quote from: Draignean@Spamkingdom+
Truly, we have the most uniquely talented spy network in all existence.
Quote from: mightymushroom@Spamkingdom#
Please tell me the Royal Physician didn't go to the same college as the Spymaster.

Seraphim342

• Bay Watcher
  • Magma Cum Laude
    • View Profile
« Reply #5200 on: October 14, 2011, 03:30:49 pm »

Oh, and figuring out that I didn't have to manually assign each dwarf a bed. 
I like to think that on the other side of the world a human is walking on the beach, notices the water level suddenly drop twenty feet, and whispers "fucking dwarves."

"The cows seem to lose bowel control when launched... I consider this a feature."

person012345

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5201 on: October 14, 2011, 06:31:52 pm »

Discovering Shift + Enter when designating large areas of flooring to be built, even more so because it says it on the screen and I still didn't get it. Pressing enter 100 times individually was a pain in the ass.

proxn_punkd

• Bay Watcher
  • Still a better dove story than Twilight
    • View Profile
« Reply #5202 on: October 14, 2011, 08:42:41 pm »

Running DF Prospector and discovering that the only metal ore on my fort's site is sphalerite.

ALL OF THE ZINC.

ALL OF THEM.

Maybe if I make fancy stuff with it I can trade it for bronze/steel.

kardwill

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5203 on: October 15, 2011, 04:04:07 am »

Finding out that the thing that messed up every one of my custom animal/prisonner stockpiles in the last 4-5 fortresses was the hidden stones... And I always clear them from the furniture or wood stockpiles, too, so it's not as if I didn't know they mess up the non bin/barrel stocks
*Facedesk*

FrisianDude

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5204 on: October 15, 2011, 04:51:20 am »

For some reason a trap triggered to kill animals being taken to pasture. It's wounded quite a lot already (including two lambs and a baby alpaca. :() and a lamb and a stray war horse suffocated due to their wounds.
A tiny, foul-tempered humanoid creature that dwells in the evil mountains. They are known to enjoy drinking liquor and will take any unguarded supplies of booze.
Pages: 1 ... 345 346 [347] 348 349 ... 729