Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: How to destroy a fort in 5 minutes  (Read 6387 times)

varkarrus

• Bay Watcher
  • Insanity and a knife go well together.
    • View Profile
How to destroy a fort in 5 minutes
« on: May 29, 2009, 11:42:22 am »

The fort of suicideforks lasted many years and grew to be home of 100+ dwarves. Even the orcs never seiged, and the elves stayed away.

One day, Urist mcCrazypants was unhappy. He wanted to destroy the fort and kill everyone, including himself. First things first, he would need a plan...

Come up with as many endings to this story as possible!
Dip Stick! The newest candy! Just dip it, then lick it!
Or try FUBAR! The best chocolate bar ever!
And you can't eat them, either, sadly. Even though it'd make sieges so much more fun; dwarves lining the walls, drooling and carrying sharp knives and forks, ready for the upcoming meals.

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile
Re: How to destroy a fort in 5 minutes
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2009, 11:43:49 am »

Being a legendary miner, he caved-in the drinking hall and beer hall at the same time. The survivors didn't make it.
Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO

Zaranthan

• Bay Watcher
  • Plump Helmet Smelter
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2009, 11:44:48 am »

mechanisms... yes
Quote from: Howard, Nerf This, by Scott D. Ferguson
Villains sleep with hookers, heroes sleep with destiny.

cerapa

• Bay Watcher
  • It wont bite....unless you are the sun.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2009, 11:57:27 am »

He dug through the wall to the magma container and the world was flooded with magma.

Simple, but dwarvenly.

Tick, tick, tick the time goes by,
tick, tick, tick the clock blows up.

ThtblovesDF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2009, 12:26:28 pm »

He carefully spread beer through out the complex, one barrel at a time. Afterall its normal for dwarfs to run around with a barrel in there mouth.

Once he had them all layerd out he just angered the fireimp's until ... fun happend.

Errol

• Bay Watcher
  • Heaven or Hell, Duel 1 -- Let's Rock!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2009, 01:06:33 pm »

He set free the skeletal carp.
Girls are currently preparing signature, please wait warmly until it is ready.

dornbeast

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2009, 01:52:32 pm »

One day, Urist mcCrazypants was unhappy. He wanted to destroy the fort and kill everyone, including himself. First things first, he would need a plan...

The first thing he did was to "accidentally" push the cook into the chasm.

Then, he picked up his old crossbow and went hunting.  Groundhogs, elk, camels, horses, everything he could find.

In short order, the Legendary Ambusher had filled every barrel in the fortress with meat and fat.  Then the other dwarves noticed that there was nothing to drink, and no barrels to brew it in.  So they made more barrels, and watched in horror as they filled with meat and fat.

In spite of their efforts to make more barrels and cook the meat, they were no match for Urist.  And so suicideforks died with thousands of prepared meals, and not a drop of alcohol in the fortress.

(I was going to see if I could invent a way for a Legendary Record Keeper or Legendary Organizer to kill a fortress, but I couldn't figure one out.)
Quote from: Dornbeast
Urist Austin, Axedwarf.  A dwarf barely alive.  Gentledwarves, we can rebuild him. We have the technology. We have the capability to build the world's first bionic dwarf. Urist Austin will be that dwarf. Better than he was before. Better, stronger, faster.

Jurph

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Belt-fed Weaponry
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2009, 04:16:04 pm »

(I was going to see if I could invent a way for a Legendary Record Keeper or Legendary Organizer to kill a fortress, but I couldn't figure one out.)

Record Keeper: Urist, look at these numbers.  This is fantastic!  Every time the Mountainhome approves a fortress, the settlers get 1500 "points" which are basically dwarfbucks.  It's a license to print money... every fortress starts out 1500 dwarfbucks ahead of the game, so even if they lose half of their value, all fortresses still turn a profit!

Urist: All of them?

Record Keeper: Sure!  I mean, some percentage fail and have to be abandoned, but in the aggregate, everybody wins.

Urist: Including us.

Record Keeper: Well, the Mountainhome and the trading company make most of the money.  They make a profit sending traders to all the other fortresses, who trade with us for our value-added craftsdwarfship.  They ride their wagon from place to place collecting money.

Urist: How can I get a piece of that action?  This farming crap is for the birds.

Record Keeper: You can't!  It's not like you could run your own trading company.

Urist: True... we don't even have wagons.

Record Keeper: ...but we do have Dwarfbucks, so we could buy a stake in one of the expeditions, or in a trading company that expects to make money off of several expeditions...

Urist: What if we pick one that fails?

Record Keeper: We'll diversify!  We will buy a tiny share of each wagon.  Besides, they all succeed, mostly.

Urist: But no expedition wants to do all that bookkeeping and pay out shares on such tiny investments.

Record Keeper: We'll find a Mountainhome or a trading company to bankroll the whole project, and then instead of trying to make money on each little fortress, they can sell shares in fortress growth to raise capital for more wagons.

Urist: But again... what if we buy one that fails?

Record Keeper: Oh, you won't have to buy the risky ones.  We'll shuffle them all together into a pile called consolidated fortress futures.  The best fortresses are grade "A" for "Armok", and the riskier types are "B" for Boatmurdered, "C" for... well, nobody wants a fortress that's riskier than Boatmurdered.  Anyway, we shuffle them together so everyone gets an equal share of the risk, and then sell the least risky ones at a premium...

Urist: ...but won't I still have some share of the Boatmurdered risk?

Record Keeper: No, they're in another tranche.

Urist: Tranche?  Is that some kind of Elvish word for mining?

Record Keeper: No, no, don't worry about it, it's very technical.  The bottom line is, it's all risk-free.  Absolutely no chance that any of these forts will get flooded with kittens or magma or both.

Urist: Great!  Forget farming, I'm going to start buying magma kitten trenches!

Record Keeper: Tranches.

Urist: Whatever.  Oh, hey, so if I buy kitten magma truncheons, does that mean the traders will make even more money if they invest in our fortress?

Record Keeper: (scratches head, scribbles on parchment, blanches) Er, yes.  That's exactly what it means.  Everyone makes a kabillion dwarfbucks, unless more than one fortress crumbles to its end.

Urist: Well, with all that money rolling in safe as houses, we won't be needing this farm plot!  (begins pumping magma into the soil layer)

Record Keeper: Of course, we are one of the fortresses that mustn't crumble, so it's important that we--

Urist: Where's the lever that opens the kitten cages?
Dreambrother has my original hammer-shaped Great Hall.  Towerweak has taken the idea to the next level.

Jim Groovester

• Bay Watcher
  • 1P
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 29, 2009, 06:35:01 pm »

I understood nothing, contributed nothing, but still got to win, so good game everybody else.

Chandrasekhar

• Bay Watcher
  • [DIES_WHEN_KILLED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 30, 2009, 01:14:51 am »

Jurph, you are a genius.

inaluct

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 30, 2009, 01:18:34 am »

Agreed.

DG

• Bay Watcher
  • Pull the Lever
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 30, 2009, 03:47:08 am »

Excellent...But horrifying.

TheNewerMartianEmperor

• Bay Watcher
  • ♥She'd cut you up!♥
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 30, 2009, 06:21:04 am »

Economically destroying a fort..... IT'S BRILLIANT!
Once tried to conquer Earth, and succeeded! Too bad it got really, really boring, really, really fast.

One day, we shall all look back on this, and laugh. Sorry about the face, by the way, and the legs, and the eyes, and the arms. In fact, sorry 'bout the whole body.

Techhead

• Bay Watcher
  • Former Minister of Technological Heads
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 30, 2009, 11:53:25 am »

Now I am actually considering making a 1x50 booze stockpile. One end  leading to the magma pipe, the other leading to the fort's main alcohol supply. If imps won't come bother it, I can use a pump.

You must understand, its all in the name of science.
Engineering Dwarves' unfortunate demises since '08
WHAT?  WE DEMAND OUR FREE THINGS NOW DESPITE THE HARDSHIPS IT MAY CAUSE IN YOUR LIFE
It's like you're all trying to outdo each other in sheer useless pedantry.

uberubert

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 30, 2009, 04:42:33 pm »

Long story short, Urist pulled the lever 8)
Uberubert cancels forum post: Interrupted by Dwarf Fortress
Pages: [1] 2