Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 ... 24

Author Topic: The New Flagship of the Dwarven Empire: (Re: if you have something to add)  (Read 197776 times)

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
  • Haven't tried coffee crisps.
    • View Profile

No, no structure can fly or land or move, only pancake- and caveins are turned off to prevent that, so it's totally static. There's drawbridges connecting it to the nearby land, to simulate landing. When he's done, he will pretend it can fly (and post awesome pics). It's basically a big model though.

But then anybody can go and pretend that they're doing cool stuff, even when they actually aren't doing so at all. That could lead to a lot of...rather strange stuff to occur...gameplay/story segregation FTL.

Well, the point of this is the awesome ship itself, as an object. There's even a thread with a "boat" in the hall of legends, so it's not like you can't make a good story out of it.

duuude....
make a large statue of bowser on the top deck.

also, make some obsidian-cast cannons.
Dude?
Let's Play: Automation! Bay 12 Motor Company Buy the 1950 Urist Wagon for just $4500! Safety features optional.
The Bay 12 & Mates Discord Join now! Voice/text chat and play games with other Bay12'ers!
Add me on Steam: [DFC] Sensei

Itnetlolor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID

Also, why haven't you simply set up a total quarantine? In a year you could have done enough landscaping and wall building to never have to worry about goblins again. And yeah, I still think this warrants doing- abandon and reclaim to get more guys if you have to.
Well, if anything, I was trying to keep up a sort of story with the builders; or in this case "Cid" alone, and his story of this behemoth.

Basically, none of the original 7 thought of doing such things (as you could read from the earlier notes), they were simply engineers for the project. And to make matters worse, none of the "immigrants" sent to the site had any military experience, so the idea never came up. So yeah. They brought it on themselves.

Let's not forget the location itself. I was surprised it didn't get worse earlier; but the recent catastrophe hit me hard enough it made me stop playing for some time (not even working on another fort).

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
  • Haven't tried coffee crisps.
    • View Profile

You should probably create a seal-able bunker and maybe some pillboxes for defense. You obviously need a way to turtle down for these sieges.
Let's Play: Automation! Bay 12 Motor Company Buy the 1950 Urist Wagon for just $4500! Safety features optional.
The Bay 12 & Mates Discord Join now! Voice/text chat and play games with other Bay12'ers!
Add me on Steam: [DFC] Sensei

Itnetlolor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID

Ironically, Those implements were being worked on, and nearing a good enough level of completeness to be functional. That is, until I was triple-ambushed.

Goinstadi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Well whenever you get back to it, I'll go ahead and build a Dock for the Bloodfist.
Dwarf Fortress is Minesweeper with attitude.  In both games you are uncovering squares and just waiting for it to blow up in your face.  At least in DF you have tiny bearded and smiling avatars to torture on your descent to fun.

Neyvn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Hopefully I will be able to Build my Harbor soon...

Even thinking of having it build a sister ship if I get it up safely...

Epic location, all that is missing is Flux and Pitchblend I believe. That and a GCS...
Quote from: Ubiq
Broker: Wasn't there an ambush squad here just a second ago?
Merchant: I don't know what you're talking about. Do you want this goblin ankle bone amulet or not?
My LIVESTREAM. I'm Aussie, so not everything is clean. Least it works...

Itnetlolor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID

I appreciate that there's still interest in this project.

I'm going to be somewhat busy this week, but I'll see if I can find the time to do something with it.

I'll test what would work better. Hopefully, if I do get a reclaiming party in, the survivors will still be alive. Especially "Cid". He's our protagonist. We can't lose him.

Plus, it would also count as the latest arrival of backup that "Cid"'s been asking for for the past 2 years. I'll see how I can weave that into the story as well. What will be nice about it would be that I'll have a competent military that can build/rebuild the fort and it's defenses that were cancelled, and serve as a defense.

It's still my intention to keep the fort small and relatively unguarded (aside the mandatory tower or 2). You gotta remember, this is a project site. It's still up to "Cid" what to do with it. It's not a fortress, it's a building site (according to where it is on the map) at least a week away from the mountainhome of origin. Chosen because of the resources, and distance from home. Once finished, it can easily fly home in less than 1/8th of a day.
« Last Edit: October 20, 2009, 12:02:19 am by Itnetlolor »

Neyvn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Create it on Cid's arrival to the fact that some defense is needed in the construction of such a ship. You have had sieges and ambushes, so that means the Gobbos have discovered the construction site. It comes to Cid's attention that he will need to order some defense from the Mountain Home for help to finish the project...
Merchant: I don't know what you're talking about. Do you want this goblin ankle bone amulet or not?

Goinstadi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Walls in wild areas are common.  Don't be fooled, today's world would not have been possible without walls against the marauding animals and barbarian hordes.

You don't have to wall in the entire site, just your living area.  Leaving the Bloodfist "open" could make for epic boarding attempts by the goblins later.
Dwarf Fortress is Minesweeper with attitude.  In both games you are uncovering squares and just waiting for it to blow up in your face.  At least in DF you have tiny bearded and smiling avatars to torture on your descent to fun.

Quantum Toast

• Bay Watcher
  • Schrödinger's Breakfast
    • View Profile

It's a shame you can't make metal fences, they're more the sort of thing you'd expect around a shipyard.
That would be as deadly to the wielder as to anyone else!  You'd sever your own arm at the first swing!  It's perfect!

Itnetlolor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID

Well, I took a crack at reclaiming, and everyone died upon reclaim (the original dwarves). Basically, no storyteller, and a bunch of newbies at their crafts (and no appraisal), outside of military skill; and clothing and such all over the place, yet the structure is still intact.

I did gain 70 dwarfs besides that, and all of them are alive and well, despite some batmen and such possessing the outpost.

I still have the original save with the last of the 7 though. I'll see if they can recover regardless.

From the looks of it, I'll probably keep both as parallel realities.
« Last Edit: November 03, 2009, 05:52:51 pm by Itnetlolor »

shadowform

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The new flagship of the Dwarven Empire: (Megaproject In Progress)
« Reply #221 on: November 05, 2009, 07:17:39 am »

What can I say? I'm the dwarven Jules Verne. BTW, I'd like to see anyone develop a weapon capable of reaching this HFS (Huge F***ing Ship).

Oh, that's easy.  Create another, similar ship with a series of open bomb bays on the bottom.  Have them, say, 3x5 with a bridge built partway through to make them 2x5, then order construction of floors in the 1x3 center part of the bay.  I'm pretty sure that floors won't 'attach' to bridges, so it should cause an immediate collapse that sends a unit of stone hurtling downward, and if their ship happens to be above yours at the time, that would punch a hole in you.
Q: What do you get when you take 100 clear glass windows, 1000 silver bars, 6700 gold bars, and 18,000 marble blocks?

A: A very large wall.

"Alright, here's Helltooth... Harborfence... Urist, come get GenericBlade... and you. Welcome to the Danger Room. First timers get good ol' Ballswallowed. Have fun and try not to take off your own toe."

Itnetlolor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID

As a 10000+ view benchmark reward, I just refined the OP to make it a hell of alot easier to navigate and read through.

Didn't take too much effort, aside from the linking.

As further reward for the popularity of this megaproject, I've been motivated to attempt to continue this from Cid, and the remaining team.

Unfortunately, I might have to use DF Companion to at least keep our storyteller alive and sane enugh to keep up with the updates; or at least, not die yet.

EDIT:
TOO MANY DISTRACTIONS!!!!

I'll see what I can do to get something done either tonight or tomorrow.

I always have this crap happen at the worst times (or best times for me to work on it).
« Last Edit: December 03, 2009, 05:42:52 pm by Itnetlolor »

Itnetlolor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
Re: The New Flagship of the Dwarven Empire: (Megaproject Progress: SALVAGE OP!!!)
« Reply #223 on: December 04, 2009, 10:59:24 pm »

Spoiler: Post message report (click to show/hide)

PS- 1100th post!!!
« Last Edit: December 05, 2009, 12:29:47 am by Itnetlolor »

Neyvn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Can I get a copy of your Blueprints???
I will be building one myself in My harbour. With a few differences...
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 ... 24