Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Who will win the final battle of Warriors of Armok, and how?

Fireheart (beheading)
- 5 (33.3%)
Fireheart (bisection)
- 1 (6.7%)
Fireheart (cleaving)
- 5 (33.3%)
Nichaey (beheading)
- 3 (20%)
Nichaey (bisection)
- 1 (6.7%)
Nichaey (cleaving)
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 15

Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 36

Author Topic: Warriors of Armok: Magma of Life [The Final Match: Fireheart vs. Nichaey]  (Read 107222 times)

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
Re: Warriors of Armok: Magma of Life [The Phoenix Opening: Quarter-finals]
« Reply #180 on: July 13, 2009, 01:02:08 pm »

You can just make the choice for him.

Rysith

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #181 on: July 13, 2009, 01:27:24 pm »

The resulting party killed 20 dwarves, crippled 2 more and the remaining 9 managed to get along and have a nice party. Of the 16 claimed dwarves only 3 survived with 1 of them being in the quarter-finals. This one dwarf killed 3 other dwarves in the brawl, all of them fellow quarter-finalists. The identity of this dwarf will remain hidden until he or she is either knocked out of the tournament or becomes the Champion.

That's a real dwarven party! I suspect that it's similar to the issue around "tamed" killer wildlife killing dwarves, which is too bad. I wonder who the survivor was? I'd suggest that they earn something (after their identity can be revealed) for winning a "grand melee".
Lanternwebs: a community fort
Try my orc mod!
The OP deserves the violent Dwarven equivalent of the Nobel Peace Prize.

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #182 on: July 13, 2009, 01:40:44 pm »

The dog was behind it all.

BloodBeard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #183 on: July 13, 2009, 03:45:05 pm »

Nah. There will be people who lose interest and i'll deal with it by dropping the dwarf after an extended period of absence. With this kind of fort I can't have too many people or I'd get overwhelmed, there will likely be a dwarf cap. People can leave by choice, knocked out or removed and it would open up a new spot.

Equipment changes are in. After I finish the Nilarzes update i'm working on I got to change some equipment, adjust everyones skills and then we can get on to the quarter-finals.

Hawkfrost

• Bay Watcher
  • It's way too late to stop.
    • View Profile
« Reply #184 on: July 13, 2009, 04:14:14 pm »

Nah. There will be people who lose interest and i'll deal with it by dropping the dwarf after an extended period of absence. With this kind of fort I can't have too many people or I'd get overwhelmed, there will likely be a dwarf cap. People can leave by choice, knocked out or removed and it would open up a new spot.

He died of natural causes in his bed.
Because a mircocline block down the throat quite naturally ends one's life.

Ancient Thingy

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Neighbourhood Axedwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #185 on: July 13, 2009, 08:17:39 pm »

Just say Biblet bit off more -cat tallow roast (25)- than he could fit down his throat. (AKA: I don't want to see the poor dwarf get owned anymore so just take him out of the tourny for now :'( )

BloodBeard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #186 on: July 13, 2009, 10:18:26 pm »

Just say Biblet bit off more -cat tallow roast (25)- than he could fit down his throat. (AKA: I don't want to see the poor dwarf get owned anymore so just take him out of the tourny for now :'( )

Biblet was the first dwarf to be knocked out of the tourny.

Ancient Thingy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #187 on: July 14, 2009, 03:12:22 pm »

Bleh, wrong wording sorry. I meant as in taken out of the entire Warriors of Armok. I might come back with another dwarf during the next tourny.

BloodBeard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #188 on: July 14, 2009, 03:57:57 pm »

Bleh, wrong wording sorry. I meant as in taken out of the entire Warriors of Armok. I might come back with another dwarf during the next tourny.

Sure thing, but there probably won't be anymore tournys like this. Most fights will be hand selected single-matches.

Ancient Thingy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #189 on: July 14, 2009, 07:12:01 pm »

That's okay! I'll probably just wait until the Phoenix is over and then come back with a fresh recruit. More meat for the veterans of the opening.

BloodBeard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #190 on: July 15, 2009, 03:44:00 pm »

The Phoenix Opening: Quarterfinals, Match 9

Fireheart Covenguilds
vs.
Diego “The Smasha” Glazesoared

Rith: Hello and welcome to the beautiful Phoenix Amphitheater, I’m Rith Rithdur.

Stakud: And I’m Stakud “The Machine” Oslannicat!

Rith: “The Machine”? You gave yourself a nickname?

Stakud: No, other people- other people call me that.

Rith: …

Stakud: It sounds cool, all right?

Rith: Whatever you say, “Machine”. Now, we have four incredible matches to bring to you today. It’s the quarterfinals of the Phoenix Opening and all 8 of these dwarves have fought hard to get where they are. By the end of the day only four dwarves will remain, who will they be?

Stakud: Lets find out as we get our first match-up underway. Entering the arena now, a 1st Degree Swordsdwarf, it’s Fireheart Covenguilds!

Spoiler: Fireheart (click to show/hide)

Rith: It was Fireheart to won the very first battle in this arena with a gruesome victory over Biblet “The Superior”. Though Fireheart won that match-up decisively, it was over so fast that we didn’t get to have a good look at what he can do.

Stakud: Maybe that is what he does, slice and dice his opponents before they know what hit them.

Rith: Maybe, but you have to understand that Fireheart was fighting someone much slower then him. It’s a whole different game when your opponent is just as fast as you, like the dwarf that has just entered. It’s Diego “The Smasha” Glazesoared!

Spoiler: Diego (click to show/hide)

Rith: Diego is a 1st Degree Hammerdwarf and in round one he really got the crowd going with a skull crushing blow, literally, to defeat Olon “Workerdrone”.

Stakud: Diego lived up to his nickname in that fight, but is a reputation good enough for him to defeat Fireheart? If we’re to judge by equipment then you might think that Diego is in a world of hurt, but crazier things can happen.

Rith: Fireheart vs. Diego, the first of four quarterfinal match-ups, here we go!

Stakud: The signal to start has been given and Diego makes the first move with an enthusiastic sprint towards Fireheart! Fireheart seems undeterred by Diego’s aggression and holds his ground. Diego, with hammer raised lets it fall as he comes within striking range and Fireheart gets the block, however he takes the full force of Diego’s charge and is knocked to the ground! Diego takes another swing but Fireheart rolls out of the way!

Rith: Between that hammer and the ground isn’t somewhere where you want to be and Fireheart showed some nice moves evading that strike. Fireheart is back on his feet and here is where the skill comes in! Both combatants are letting loose their fury upon each other but with excellent use of shields neither are able to connect. The crowd is mixed as they chant the names of both warriors.

Stakud: Fireheart and Diego are really getting into each other’s fighting style, trying to find a weakness to exploit.

Rith: Oh look! Diego is bleeding from the head! Though the wound doesn’t look bad that blood could really affect his vision. I think Fireheart knows this has his aggression has taken a noticeable upsurge and gives everything he has into each swing of that sword. There’s the hit! Diego hammer drops from his hand as Fireheart delivers a bone crushing attack to his right arm. The arm is still there but completely useless at this point. Not giving up Diego takes a page from Damug as his tries to bash Fireheart with his shield but Fireheart easily ducks under it and follows up with a devastating slash to Diegos lower body.

Stakud: The one really did a number on Diego as he stoops over in pain before falling to the ground. Fireheart is standing over an unconscious Diego, deciding how he is going to finish it maybe. There he goes and- oh dear…

Rith: Fireheart, either sending a message to his next opponent or trying to show that Diego isn’t the only one who can crush a scull has split Diego’s head right down the center with one clean stroke. I did not see that coming.

Stakud: That was…AWESOME.

Rith: The Smasha is out and the Splitter is in, Fireheart takes the win with a flawless performance and will be the first dwarf to move on to the semifinals. What a match-up that was, it almost looked like it could go either way but Firehearts skill and perseverance won out.

Stakud: We are definitely seeing a whole different caliber of fighting in this round and I know it will only get better from here.

Rith: You hit the nail on the head there, it’s nothing but pure quality from here on out. Like our next match-up, Urist McUrist vs. Nichaey! Will another swordsdwarf be sent through to the semifinals or will the only remaining axedwarf carve out a win? Find out when we come back.

To see a video of the fight click here.

Spoiler: Comments (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: July 15, 2009, 04:10:11 pm by BloodBeard »

BloodBeard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #191 on: July 15, 2009, 03:44:16 pm »

The Phoenix Opening: Quarterfinals, Match 10

Urist McUrist Hatchetpanted
vs.
Nichaey Gearedwarm

Rith: Hello and welcome back, Diego’s body has been removed from the arena below and I think we’re just waiting for the next match to begin. This fight truly embodies what the first half of Round One was all about, quality equipment and pure, raw speed. We got a taste of what this kind of match-up is like in Led Warleach vs. Urist McUrist and Vulcar vs. Barbaros, but this one is far more closer then either.

Stakud: Unbelievably deadly weapons with little to no armour for both dwarves. They must feel quite confident in their abilities.

Rith: That’s what this whole tournament is about though. Here comes the first warrior, it’s Urist McUrist Hatchetpanted!

Spoiler: Urist (click to show/hide)

Rith: Urist, a 1st Degree Swordsdwarf had what many seemed to think was an easy match in the first round against a shieldless Led Warleach, but that doesn’t mean he isn’t a contender for the Championship. Urist is a spitting image of Fireheart with the Quality sword, shield and helm and we all know what Fireheart has done so far.

Stakud: We also know what Urist’s opponent can do, defeating the most heavily armoured dwarf in the tournament with nothing but an axe and a shield, it’s Nichaey Gearedwarm!

Spoiler: Nichaey (click to show/hide)

Stakud: Like Urist, Nichaey has opted to not change any equipment and will be fighting armourless once again. This 1st Degree Axedwarf and the only remaining axedwarf in this competition is taking a big risk.

Rith: Whether Nichaey is anti-armour or has utter confidence in his abilities, he has one hell of a fight on his hands with Urist McUrist. Urist is a complete opposite to the slow tank of a dwarf we know as Necksnapper whom Nichaey defeated with ease in Round One.

Stakud: This is definitely a first for both dwarves, Urist fighting a dwarf with a shield and Nichaey fight a dwarf that can actually move.

Rith: The signal has been given and this fight is underway! Nichaey takes off in a sprint while Urist stands his ground. This seems to be becoming a standard in fights but so far neither strategy has proven to be better then the other.

Stakud: Nichaey gets his axe up and takes a swing, Urist parries and sneaks in a quick strike to Nichaey’s left arm! I think some damage was done but his shield is still in hand.

Rith: Nichaey gets in another hack but it’s blocked, OH! Once again Urist connects, this time to Nichaey’s chest and it seems to have done some damage. Nichaey looks like he’s having trouble breathing, that sword went in deep and it could have pierced a lung.

Stakud: He is definitely in some pain but look at that! In his injured state Nichaey takes Urist by surprise and charges headlong into him. The strike was blocked but Urist is knocked over with his back exposed, Nichaey takes advantage and delivers a devastating blow! That axe has opening up a huge gash in Urists back and no doubt has suffered severe damage to his spine.

Rith: That attack may have paralyzed Urist as he doesn’t look to be moving. Nichaey winds up for another strike and there goes his leg! Urist’s right leg goes airborne and flies halfway across the arena floor. Clutching his chest Nichaey drags his heavy axe over beside Urists unconscious body. He looks to have some trouble picking it up, but he manages to raise it above his head and lets it fall on Urists neck. With that beheading the crowd erupts into cheers as Nichaey takes match-up with an incredible display of determination.

Stakud: You can say that again, when Urist shoved that sword into Nichaeys chest I thought this was over, but battling his injury Nechaey- wait, hold on. In making his way towards the exit Nechaey has collapsed!

Spoiler: Screenshot (click to show/hide)

Rith: Perhaps that injury might have been worse then we thought, Nichaey has collapsed on the arena floor after defeating Urist McUrist and the cheers of the crowd have fallen silent.

Stakud: So… what does this mean?

Rith: The rules say that to claim victory you must be able to exit the arena under your own power after defeating your opponent. If Nichaey can’t get up and leave the arena then it will be declared a draw.

Stakud: A draw? Come on Nichaey! Get up! I can’t believe what we’re seeing here, a draw?

Rith: The crowd is whispering amongst each other, but wait! Nichaey is showing some movement! The crowd bursts into excitement with chants of “Nich-aey! Nich-aey!”. Nichaey struggling to get up is on his hands and knees.

Stakud: Come on Nichaey! You can do it!

Rith: With the kind of determination that we saw during the match-up Nichaey manages to stand up and is back on his feet! The crowd is going wild as Nechaey slowly makes his way to the exit. Is he going to make it? He’s almost there, and yes! Nichaey is able to exit the arena and claims victory in this incredible battle!

Stakud: Whoooo! Man, this has been the most unbelievable fight we have seen so far.

Rith: I won’t argue that, this one is going to be hard to top. The dwarves in the stands here will surely have a tale to tell their children and grandchildren for many years to come and we haven’t even come to the best match-ups. Like the next fight when we come back from our break, it’s Nanothnir vs. Vulcar! You won’t want to miss it.

To see a video of the fight click here.

Spoiler: Comments (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Updated Brackets (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: July 15, 2009, 04:14:57 pm by BloodBeard »

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #192 on: July 15, 2009, 03:55:33 pm »

Hmmm...stupid drama.   ;D  Anyway, me or Rysith is fair game.  I don't know who's going to win.  HOPEFULLY MEEEEEEEEEEEE.

BloodBeard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Warriors of Armok: Magma of Life [The Phoenix Opening: Quarterfinals]
« Reply #193 on: July 15, 2009, 10:40:56 pm »

Maybe... or maybe not  :o

It would be nice if I could squeeze in a weapontype championship in here if the two dwarves in the finals use the same weapon. Right now there is only one possible way that could happen and that's if Fireheart and Rysith win all their fights. Should such a thing happen then the winner of the finals could claim the WoA Championship and the Swordsdwarf Championship.

After this tournament and after a bunch of matches from those knocked out in the first round + new dwarves I think i'll try to steer matches in the direction of setting up weapontype championships.

Speaking of unskilled matches, i've been thinking that those kind of fights are far too uninteresting and numerous to describe. I have a feeling that we're not going to see good fights with strategic equipment setups untill the semifinals, so it might help move things along if I only commentate fights between 2nd Degree dwarves and up (after the tourny that is). For all other fights, the preliminary matches if you will, I could screenshot the combat logs and post the video.
« Last Edit: July 15, 2009, 11:01:27 pm by BloodBeard »

Keldor

• Bay Watcher
  • Blood for the blood god!
    • View Profile
Re: Warriors of Armok: Magma of Life [The Phoenix Opening: Quarterfinals]
« Reply #194 on: July 16, 2009, 02:07:57 pm »

So, if one of the fights actually IS a draw, who goes on to the next round of the tournament?
If ignorance is bliss, why are my dwarves all tantruming?
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 36