Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6

Author Topic: Bay 12 Recorded Call/Podcast/Whatever: Questions For Toady  (Read 41682 times)

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bay12games.com
Bay 12 Recorded Call/Podcast/Whatever: Questions For Toady
« on: July 09, 2009, 06:36:55 pm »

So. concerning this topic, the first Skype call is going to be recorded sometime on July 30th, with Capntastic and Rainseeker asking some of your questions, among other things.

Please post the questions you'd like to appear on the first recording in this thread.  They'll be picking some of them, and then we'll see how this works out during the call.

edit: It would help us out if you post your questions like this?
You can do this with
Code: [Select]
[b][color=limegreen]like this?[/color][/b]

Depending on how many questions there are, we might not be able to get to them all during this one recording, which might last an hour or so, but there will be subsequent recordings (assuming it works out).

Please note that I won't be answering the questions here in this thread as you ask them, since we are saving them for the show!
« Last Edit: July 10, 2009, 07:17:33 pm by Toady One »
The Toad, a Natural Resource:  Preserve yours today!

Broose

• Bay Watcher
  • Pilfering Gatorhead
    • View Profile
Re: Bay 12 Recorded Call/Podcast/Whatever: Questions For Toady
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2009, 06:46:24 pm »

Are you going to be discussing the HFS at all? Or would you rather not spoil it to people who didn't go through the adventure?

Danarca

• Bay Watcher
  • [MILL_CHILD:ONLY_IF_GOOD_REASON]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2009, 07:52:40 pm »

Will we get more pictures of Scamps in the future?
EDIT:
Oh, and will the 2d nobles get a comeback?
« Last Edit: July 09, 2009, 08:10:55 pm by Danarca »
Clutter god the god of godly gods.
Om Nom nom nom nom
Ah yes the god of stone stockpiles, long randomly generated names, and gods.

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2009, 07:59:34 pm »

Are you going to be discussing the HFS at all? Or would you rather not spoil it to people who didn't go through the adventure?

I guess we could have a spoiler segment, perhaps as a separate download?  It's easy to split these files up, though I wouldn't want a ton of them.  Perhaps it would be best to discuss that in the other thread where we talk about format and stuff, if you'd like to make a post there.

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2009, 08:05:03 pm »

Question about the questions - Is Dwarf Fortress the only topic?  Or are we allowed to ask about other stuff?  Obviously you're not going to answer anything you don't want to, but are there any specific boundaries besides "don't be an idiot?"
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2009, 08:10:13 pm »

You can ask about whatever as far as I care.  Capn and Rainseeker are going to pick and choose, so I imagine they'd be a filter for anything way out of line, but I'll answer questions concerning whatever it is you are interested in.

thvaz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2009, 08:15:39 pm »

Eventually we will have randomized civilizations, such as a demon worshipping human civs, or cannibalistic dwarves for instance?

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2009, 08:17:10 pm »

I guess appropriate for the first discussion would be to go back to the past... (I know Toady has answered this before)

The Question:
Looking back at the first Armok one can see a lot of potential and effort put into it, what made you decide to abandon the 3d game for the 2d Dwarf Fortress and what did you learn from the experience?
« Last Edit: July 11, 2009, 02:39:56 am by Neonivek »

ArkDelgato

• Bay Watcher
  • ERROR - LOGICAL FALLACY
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 09, 2009, 08:22:33 pm »

What, If anything do you have planned for magic and wizardry?
Will the weapons from armok make it back in (liquid mercury bow)color]
« Last Edit: July 17, 2009, 06:53:38 pm by ArkDelgato »

Karlito

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 09, 2009, 08:26:27 pm »

A while back Jonathan S. Fox posted a file of LCS dev notes, that included many notes written by you.  They were easy distinguishable from Fox's notes because they had important key phrases such as "fucked up" and "he he he".  Do your personal DF dev notes still carry this distinctive voice?
« Last Edit: July 11, 2009, 01:32:10 am by Karlito »
This sentence contains exactly threee erors.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 09, 2009, 08:27:42 pm »

Isn't that a little vague Ark? Magic and Wizardry are two entire arcs onto themselves.

If you can be more specific... THEN again if this is the only magic related question it could set precident for future magic related questions which would be hitting areas Toady hasn't revealed.

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 09, 2009, 08:36:44 pm »

A while back Jonathan S. Fox posted a file of LCS dev notes, that included many notes written by you.  They were easy distinguishable from Fox's notes because they had important key phrases such as "fucked up shit" and "heh heh heh".  Do your personal DF dev notes still carry this distinctive voice?

I think Toady is the only person to use "heh heh heh" that much. It's very distinctive and it's cool that he has his own little signature laugh.

Isn't that a little vague Ark? Magic and Wizardry are two entire arcs onto themselves.

I'm pretty sure most people want vague, general questions that we can have long rambling discussions about rather than short, concise questions that make things sound like an official interview.

Of course, this is coming from one of the guys that listens to the hour-long interviews Toady posts and then always listens to the two-hour-long rambling sections because they're just as awesome.

Do you have any intention to put more stock creatures into the vanilla game, such as penguins, more types of dragons, moose, drakes, etc? Or would you rather focus on randomized creatures? Or are creatures barely a priority to you compared to the other things you work on in the game?

How soon will we get more fleshed-out alchemy? And what will it consist of? More magical things like turning lead to gold, or more potiony things like health care?

Karlito

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 09, 2009, 08:39:40 pm »

A while back Jonathan S. Fox posted a file of LCS dev notes, that included many notes written by you.  They were easy distinguishable from Fox's notes because they had important key phrases such as "fucked up shit" and "heh heh heh".  Do your personal DF dev notes still carry this distinctive voice?

I think Toady is the only person to use "heh heh heh" that much. It's very distinctive and it's cool that he has his own little signature laugh.
I just checked, and its actually "he he he".  Which seems even weirder.
This sentence contains exactly threee erors.

Kilo24

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 09, 2009, 08:40:04 pm »

It's still a ways off, but what are your thoughts on how magic will be implemented?  Will it be similar to Armok?

Has throwing been rebalanced?  (I don't think I saw that question in the Future of the Fortress thread; apologies if I missed it)

What's your best estimate of the next release date?

You mentioned allowing players to recreate fantasy worlds from existing literature.  I'd imagine, that, despite your best efforts, there's going to be a number of incompatibilities between what DF can model and the worlds are described as.  How central a feature do you consider that to be (i.e. how much effort will you be spending on it vs. other features)?
It might be a bit early as well, but to what extent will the world gen settings be overwriting an otherwise random setting (like just replacing a standard town layout with self-specified Minas Tirith, say, and only having that layout matter when your adventurer visits it, not in world-gen), created in the present day with your specifications but be created with a false history, and/or be randomly generated until your specifications apply?

Are you going to include literally spelled-out dialog for the dwarves in Dwarf Mode at points, or leave it to be inferred through the actions they're taking?  And are you going to keep with the same dialog system in Adventure Mode (fully spelled out, but repetitive and stilted due to the random environment.)  I could see a system like Morrowind's working well here (though I hate it.)

When are you putting in more music?

Do you foresee any more community collaboration like with the video output code?

Magma and water are currently the only fully featured fluids.  Are you going to add more?  And are they going to be hardcoded individually (just adding in booze and/or acid or something like that), or are you going to generalize them all into fluids with different properties?  And will they be able to mix together/be separated/react to eachother ala obsidian creation?

Is being able to expand a Dwarf Fortress after settling into it infeasible?

You mentioned recipes during world gen and there are engravings and artifacts.  What other items will record history in a format readable by adventurers?  Will we get randomly generated books as well?

How deep are the genetics going to extend?  Will they modify appearance (and how much of that will be genetic, environmenta, and random), personality and/or genetic diseases?  And for fantasy's sake, what supernatural or distinguishing marks can be attached to bloodlines? 

Well, if we dye our socks any color... can fire have different colors based on temperature/ burning materials (or possibly as part of divinations much later on)?  Will it burn off hair, leave scars (and keep information on the source of the fire attached to the scar)?  And will hair affect how much fire damages a dwarf (extra points if being soaked in booze also adds to the damage)?

What effects will brain injuries have?  Any chance of a dwarven Phineas Gage?

Can souls be applied to inanimate objects and/or as part of artifacts?

One of the arcs is focused on artifacts.  What are some examples of quirks have you thought of to apply to them?  Will artifacts be able to be created in more ways than a dwarf commandeering a workshop (like making a normal sword into an artifact through siginificant events, or by a god's decree)? 

What are some of the ideas you have on making sieges more challenging?  Traps rebalance is one, I know.  Do you think you will implement siege ladders to bypass walls/moats, or miners to dig through a wall?

Do you plan to leave constructed walls unengravable?

Okay... I think that's more than enough.  At least, when 9 new replies get posted before I finish...
« Last Edit: July 11, 2009, 10:17:09 am by Kilo24 »

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 09, 2009, 08:47:00 pm »

I have heard offers from various users to work on the raw files as to help you with overly repetitive and mundane work researching the various stats of animals and materials for these files. How do you feel about such an active effort to add information like more correct stone temperatures and the adding of this effort to the vanilla game?

With the recent delving into the graphics software for DF, what are some of the graphical shenanigans that can be done with these tiles that could not be done before? I heard of zooming and such.
Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6