Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 12

Author Topic: Dwarf Fortress Talk #2: Your Questions!  (Read 57102 times)

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bay12games.com
Dwarf Fortress Talk #2: Your Questions!
« on: August 07, 2009, 02:42:50 am »

We should be recording the next Bay 12 Skype call at the end of the month, and we'll be answering your questions again.

Please post the questions you'd like to appear on the first recording in this thread.  They'll be picking some of them, and then we'll see how this works out during the call.

It would help us out if you post your questions like this?
You can do this with
Code: [Select]
[b][color=limegreen]like this?[/color][/b]

Depending on how many questions there are, we might not be able to get to them all during this one recording, but there will be subsequent recordings.

Please note that I won't be answering the questions here in this thread as you ask them, since we are saving them for the show!
« Last Edit: August 23, 2009, 06:58:50 pm by Toady One »
The Toad, a Natural Resource:  Preserve yours today!

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bay12games.com
Re: Bay 12 Recorded Call #2: Your Questions!
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2009, 02:43:58 am »

On behalf of Kelbin from the last thread: When Kobolds become playable, will i be able to tell my Shaman to throw a cave hornet's nest at that pesky knight thats been camping outside my cave for a few weeks?
The Toad, a Natural Resource:  Preserve yours today!

Pie

• Bay Watcher
  • Winner of the "most disturbing avatar" award.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2009, 03:52:17 am »

My question: Will dwarves ever be able to figure out an order for digging on their own, that doesn't involve their death or trapping?

Idles

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2009, 04:04:23 am »

I liked the talk about the Eternal Suggestions. What additions or changes to the game have you considered making sometime soon in order to address the suggestions in the Eternal Suggestion poll (specifically, improved mechanics, graphics support, and improved hauling)?

IndonesiaWarMinister

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2009, 07:05:33 am »

Do you still looking forward to the planes (mini-worlds attached to the main worlds), and if you still do, when will you start work on it?

Sorry for my bad English.

Qloos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2009, 08:51:22 am »

Even toady must get hate mail, can we have one read aloud to see what sort of things they complain about?

If through some bizarre astronomical occurrence, you were sucked into a dwarf fortress as a peasant.  While, unwittingly, a fan is playing as you find yourself scurrying across his screen.  What would you do?
« Last Edit: August 07, 2009, 07:40:57 pm by Qloos »

Armok

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Blood
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2009, 10:10:01 am »

Ok, two questions inspired by what was said this time, I think I probably have more but these are the ones that I remember most clearly:

1) Will it always be so that first there is a long time of worldgen, and then the player plays evrything on a much shorter timescale, or will automatic worldgen becaome just another mode you can enter and then make it simulate untill some parameter is met? SO that you could create an empty world, go in in and play as a god and create it in year 0, then go into worldgen mode and fastforward a few thousand years and play in the world you created. Or create a world like normal, and then after playing a fort insted of going in adventure mode directly you fastforward a millenia so you gett all these effects like moss and erosion and old things moving into your old forts? Or you could have a word were you gen a few hudred years, run an adventurere, generate another few hudred years, another adventurer, etc. untill your world is tens of thousands or even hundreds of thousands of years old? Would such a worldgen mode have other parameters beyond the amount of time that shuld pass?

2) Somwhat related to the previus question, will there be suport for different topologies of the world? Curently it seems like the world is just a subsection of something larger, in the future could one have a spherical world? a toroid world? A circular world with waterfalls going of the edges? If the world is creted in some way by gods or the creation is otherwise simulated directly, will one be able to chose if it stars with land, sea, void chasm-like tiles, or something else before the gods start(ed) working on it?

So says Armok, God of blood.
Sszsszssoo...
Sszsszssaaayysss...
III...

Bobokapi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2009, 10:11:57 am »

Toady mentioned eventually controlling an entire Dwarven civilization, how would the controls look?
Would we switch between fortresses? Would there be a status screen with 100,000 stones?  Could there be a policy screen (similar to the standing orders screen in the current version)? Will we order armies with a world map?

Sorry if there are too many questions or if they have already been answered. ;)

Mr.Person

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 07, 2009, 10:42:55 am »

What features do you think you'll be working on after the next release?

And

Besides playing with Scamps, what do you like to do for fun?

And, might as well ask

In what ways are the different races going to be fleshed out? Elves and dwarves already have some defining characteristics, but how will kobolds and humans be unique?
Youtube video of the year, all years.
Hmm...I've never been a big fan of CCGs - I mean, I did and still do collect Pokemon cards, but I never got heavily into the battling and trading thing.

By definition that makes you a fan since you still buy them.

blah28722

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 07, 2009, 11:43:18 am »

Are there plans to make adventure mode and fortress mode more related?

For example, would adventurers be able to visit a fortress without it having been abandoned for 9 months? Could we possible have our adventurers act like migrants to the fortress?

XSI

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 07, 2009, 11:46:58 am »

Where did you get the inspiration for Dwarf Fortress?
What kind of statues are your masons making, that you think they have "maximum exposure"?
(Full frontal ones, apparently.  With very short beards.) 

Gorobay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 07, 2009, 12:04:44 pm »

As a follow-up to Armok's first question, if there is going to be fast-forwarding, how will you handle technological advancement? For instance, could we leave the game for 200 years and come back to muskets and movable type?
« Last Edit: August 07, 2009, 03:05:28 pm by Gorobay »

Zai

• Bay Watcher
  • Elmo? Is that a SIMPLE UTENSIL?
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 07, 2009, 01:07:23 pm »

Even toady must get hate mail, can we have one read aloud to see what sort of things they complain about?

I support this. And Armok's first question, though he was a bit wordy with it. >,>
DEATH has been waiting for you. He has poured you some TEA.

Lonewolf

• Bay Watcher
  • The Feral Observer
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 07, 2009, 01:34:29 pm »

1) Since raw files are being expanded to reduce the number of hard-coded features, can there also be raws for sites (forest retreats, mountain halls and others)? If so, how will they work for it to be possible for modders to add their own buildings with any kind of shape and to specify possible materials for them? How do the current ones function?
2) Elven treehouse cities are planned. Does it mean trees will eventually span more than 1 z-level and have leaf tiles surrounding them?
« Last Edit: August 08, 2009, 08:06:59 am by Lonewolf »

Granite26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 07, 2009, 01:53:43 pm »

Interview:  Open questions are better... questions with 'yes' or 'no' answers are bad.  For example, "Are you going to impliment my idea?" is a bad question, whereas "How are you planning to expand this area" is good.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 12