Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: 40d14, Unconscious dwarves never seem to die  (Read 3221 times)

infalliblewaste

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
40d14, Unconscious dwarves never seem to die
« on: August 19, 2009, 02:09:27 pm »

I found the glowing pit in my fortress and long story short there are only two dwarves left. Both of them have mangled wounds (no spinal injuries) and are unconscious but not resting in beds since there's no one to drag them. It's been almost a year and neither of them have shown any signs of thirst or hunger and are listed with "no job" in the unit screen.

CursedBurger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: 40d14, Unconscious dwarves never seem to die
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2009, 07:33:28 pm »

By any chance, are you getting messages like "(survivor) cancels Rest: Interrupted by (some sort of hostile monster)"?

infalliblewaste

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2009, 08:45:04 pm »

No, and I noticed they are also listed as idlers, and are both miserable if that's any help.

CursedBurger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2009, 10:58:42 pm »

Okay, now this is happenening to me, too, I think. I imagine it's a lot like Bug 957, where dwarves are tormented in their rest.

I have a marksdwarf who was shot by an orc sniper (from the popular orc mod); when people drag him to a bed to rest, his rest is immediately 'interrupted by an orc sniper,' but instead of spamming rest, he just lies there unconscious. He has a broken head and brain, mangled right hand and upper and lower legs, and lost a left eye and a thumb. He's only 'Very Tough', so I don't think he should be alive. He never gets hungry or thirsty, as far as I can tell.

I also have the orc who injured him captured in a cage (with no other orcs left on the map). I have tried the following disposal methods (with savescumming):

1) Throw the orc down a 15z fall. The orc dies, blows apart, and then the injured marksdwarf immediately (four or five steps later) bleeds to death

2) Throw the orc cage in magma. The orc disappears, the markdwarf bleeds to death.

3) Tried to trade the orc. Orc breaks out of cage, is killed by merchants, marksdwarf bleeds to death.

4) Throw the orc down a 15z fall while dragging the marksdwarf to a new bed. This one was extra interesting. The moment the orc dies, the marksdwarf starts to leave a trail of blood. After 5 squares of blood trail, the marksdwarf dies.

I think there's some version of bug 957 (discussed http://www.bay12games.com/forum/index.php?topic=22890.0) where, instead of spamming 'rest' messages, the dwarf's metabolism just stops. I don't know how to test whether your bug is the same since you can't kill the offending party.