Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 25

Author Topic: The Captain's Log- Spiritwood  (Read 59494 times)

Cirius

• Bay Watcher
  • The Saga Master of Spiritwood
    • View Profile
The Captain's Log- Spiritwood
« on: August 30, 2009, 06:22:55 am »

Ladies and gentlemen, welcome to Spiritwood.

After Moist Vetek, a somewhat mediocre weather god appears to Kubluk Taniden in a dream, the unlucky dwarf is thrust into an epic adventure featuring elves, demons, goblins, zombies and scattered showers.

With nothing but their wits and the somewhat suicidal dwarves of the Courageous Bolt to help them, the travellers must fight their way across the lands of the mountain home to build for their very survival.
« Last Edit: October 05, 2009, 04:31:07 am by Cirius »
Arch-Bishop Cirius started at the ringing of the bell, which signalled the arrival of a pilgrim with a problem to throw at him. It was always a problem. Nobody ever came to say the hymns with him... Or say happy birthday.

Welcome to Spiritwood

LegoLord

• Bay Watcher
  • Can you see it now?
    • View Profile
Re: The Captain's Log
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2009, 12:40:34 pm »

I'm liking this so far. ;D
"Oh look there is a dragon my clothes might burn let me take them off and only wear steel plate."
And this is how tinned food was invented.
Alternately: The Brick Testament. It's a really fun look at what the bible would look like if interpreted literally. With Legos.
Just so I remember

ousire

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2009, 11:23:28 pm »

this should be interesting

Cirius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2009, 06:54:59 am »

The past four months have been a blur. It is only now, after three days at sea, with the wind in my beard and salt-air in my lungs that I am finally able to come to terms with what has happened. The Mountain Home is gone; our histories swept aside in a deluge of epic proportions. Our once mighty civilization annihilated in one monumental stroke by the gods.

The ocean stretches onwards to infinity in all directions. Yet we plow onwards, without destination, and only one aim, to survive. My name is Kubuk Taniden, or at least was. I am now the Captain. This log will serve as the last record of the end of the world.

My tale started with a dream.

Kubluk opened his eyes to a dazzling white light. The room was unfamiliar to him, but his jaw dropped in astonishment. Detailed gleaming white stone walls surrounded him, towering majestically up into the darkness. Mighty pillars rose from the smooth marble floor towards a distant ceiling, and impressive statues lined either side of the mighty hallway. His eyes widened as he took in the beauty of the craftsmanship around him. Tearing himself away from the glory of it all, he looked forward, and saw a dwarf watching him.

“Is this a dream, or am I really here?” Kubluk asked.
The dwarf blinked, and smiled slightly in response. “I suppose the answer would be a yes. You are indeed dreaming, and you are indeed here. Welcome to the Nomoddom, the chamber of the gods.”

Kubluk collapsed to his knees in shock. “I humble myself before thee, oh mighty…mighty…” He paused, and looked up expectantly.  “Sorry, which one are you?”
The glowing dwarf smiled another faint smile. “I am Moist Vetek the damp. First mentioned in the myths of Flags and Rain. Generally associated with heavy rainfall and strong westerly breezes.”
Kubluk looked down, and noticed a small pool of water forming around the god, as drips fell from the bottom of his robe.

“Oh mighty Vetek the damp.”
“Call me Moist.”
“Oh mighty Moist…”
“Just Moist is fine, this is somewhat informal.”
“Oh…Moist, for what unfathomable purpose have you brought me here?”
“Well. Now…” Moist looked a bit sheepish, and avoided looking directly at Kubluk. “It’s like this. There might have been a slight accident up here.”
“An accident? I’m not sure I quite understand.”
“Weather-godding is not that straight forward you know. There’s about ten of us weather gods, and trying to get us all in the same room once a week is difficult enough.”
Kubluk nodded, having absolutely no idea what the god was talking about.
“Well, Nokgul was out for the evening, and Orshal and I aren’t even talking at the moment anyway, and I said it would be all fine and dandy, and I could deal with things for a week or so…”
Kubluk found his mind slowly wandering.
“…and that’s even AFTER I apologised for the lightning…”
The pillars were really very nice, Kubluk noted.
“…and I told her to save me a chair in Olympus…”
Marble floors as well, Kubluk started tallying up the construction time for such a glorious chamber in his head. Finally, he looked up. The god looked like he was coming to a close.
“…and anyway, if the end of the world isn’t worth a vision or two, I don’t know what is?”
Kubluk looked up. “I’m sorry, the end of the world?”
Moist frowned slightly. “Yes, the end of all things. Were you even listening?”
Kubluk nodded furiously. “Of course, I was just a bit preoccupied. It’s a lovely hall. Can you give me the gist of it?”
“The gist?”
“Yes.”
“Of the end of the world?”
“Yes.”

“Fair enough. Ok. Through a couple of bad design decisions, and a few out-sourced labour jobs, the weather gods have got a bit of a back-log of rain to get through before the end of this work-period.”
Kubluk nodded. “How much rain?”
“About enough to cover the entire surface of this little world. And we’ve got about a four month period to get through it all.”
Kubluk frowned. “Can’t you just, I don’t know, keep it up there?”
Moist shook his head. “It’s not that simple. If we start storing rain, then the whole system just goes pear-shaped. It’ll be like Mars all over again. No, it’s no good, it’ll have to come down.”
Kubluk paused. “So we’re all going to drown in four months of rain?”
The god paused, and took a deep breath. “Well. We’ve got two options. Either we drop it all over the space of four months, everybody has a miserable time of it all, and drowns anyway…”
“Yes? Or?”
“We carry on as normal for three and a half months, and dump it all in the last two weeks.”
Kubluk looked perplexed. “What’s the difference?”
“What could a suitably motivated dwarf do in three and a half months to survive a flood?”
“What do you mean, suitably motivated?”
“I mean, if you don’t do what I say, you are all going to die.”
“Ah.”

Moist reached out his hand, and briefly appeared to concentrate. A gold amulet formed itself from the darkness around him, and dropped into his palm. He handed it to Kubluk. It was a small intricately designed model of a ship.

“Consider that a vague suggestion. I’ll leave the specifics to you. You have three and a half months, starting from the time you wake up.”

Kubluk sat bolt upright in bed, sweat scattering from his brow. He looked around, relieved to be back in his room, deep within the Mountain-Home.

“Just a dream Kubluk, just a dream,” he reassured himself. He rolled out of bed, and slipped on his sandals. Standing up, he heard a clink, and looked down. At his feet lay a small golden object. His hands shaking in trepidation, he scooped it up, and sighed as he recognised the golden ship, given to him by Moist.

“Bugger.”

Kubluk’s feet pounded on the stone floor as he sprinted down the corridor, his fist clenched tightly around the golden amulet. His mind was racing furiously with what the god had told him. Could it be true? Was the world about to end. How could he doubt the truth, when he held the evidence there in his hand. In fact, he was so distracted it was hardly surprising when he rounded a corner and ran headlong into Dirulal the carpenter. With a clatter, the two of them fell to the floor, scattering the pile of lumber Dirulal was carrying.

“Great adamantine extracts Kubluk! What’s got you in such a panic?” the dwarf asked, brushing himself off and helping Kubluk to his feet.
Kubluk could barely breathe, his lungs struggling to catch up with him.  He wheezed. “A flood… A flood is coming!”
The carpenter’s eyes stared Kubluk in the face. “Calm down Kubluk…”
The dwarf spluttered, “Calm down! We have less than four months! We have to hurry, we need to build…” he coughed.
“Build?”
Kubluk reached out, and handed the amulet to Dirulal. “A ship… A ship to carry us all.”
And with that, he passed out, slumping into unconsciousness.

“Ah, you’re awake,” Dirulal chuckled. Leaning forward, he poured a flagon of beer into Kubluk’s mouth, who gulped it down greedily. The prone dwarf looked around, realising he had been brought to Dirulal’s workshop. Various tools of a carpenter hung on the wall, and piles of lumber lay stacked in the corner. A glimmer caught his eye from the other side of the room. He looked, and saw the amulet lying upon the table, glinting in the torchlight.

Dirulal moved towards it, and lifted it in his hand. “The craftsdwarfship of this item is beyond compare, I cannot even calculate the value.  Where did you get it?” he asked.
“A dream.”
“Care to dream me up a new axe?” Dirulal joked, and tapped the golden ship with a finger. “You mentioned a flood?”
Kubluk sat upright with a bolt. “The flood!” He grabbed Dirulal by the beard and pulled him close. “A flood is coming. The gods have sent a warning. We must let the Elders know! We are all going to die!”
To his surprise Dirulal nodded. “Yes, I know.”
Kubluk peered at him in confusion. “You already know?”
“Yes,” the carpenter replied. “The mighty Moist has had a busy night. He was a little concerned you weren’t paying that much attention during your vision, so he took it upon Himself to appear to half the Mountain Home and reiterate. I was just on my way to find you when you managed to knock me for six out there in the corridor.”
“Then it’s all true. The flood is really coming.” Kubluk slumped back onto the floor. “What are we going to do now?”
Dirulal grinned. “We start planning I suppose. If you’re building a ship, then you’re going to need yourself a fine carpenter, and I just so happen to have a little free time at the moment. But first, the Elders have requested your presence in the council chambers, and asked me to go and fetch you.”
« Last Edit: October 05, 2009, 04:24:28 am by Cirius »
Arch-Bishop Cirius started at the ringing of the bell, which signalled the arrival of a pilgrim with a problem to throw at him. It was always a problem. Nobody ever came to say the hymns with him... Or say happy birthday.

Welcome to Spiritwood

Cirius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2009, 07:08:22 am »

Authors Note:

I had originally planned to fabricate the ship outside of Dwarf Fortress, using a tile-based game maker, which is how I acquired the two opening pictures.

However, it being a quiet weekend, I decided to dive into DF and see if I couldn't just slap the whole damn thing together.

What began as a simple mega-project quickly descended into The Build From Hell.

Attempt Number 1:
Having laid out the deck plan for the mighty vessel, and quarried out the simply massive hole that would act as the dry dock, Kubluk manages to channel out the only piece of rock holding him up, falls four floors into the hole and breaks both his arms. Unable to dig his way out, I realise the guy was also carrying the only available pick. Abandon.

Attempt Number 2:
Kubluk II goes insane through lack of alcohol, and positions himself at the narrow entrance to the dry-dock, armed with a hammer. After slaughtering three of the other workers, he is adopted by a small dog, which promptly dies.

This does little to improve Kubluk II's mood, who then manages to hurl himself into the river and is swept off screen. Abandon.

Attempt Number 3:
A mighty reclaim attempt is somewhat scuppered when no-one remembers to bring any picks.
Kubluk III is sacrificied to the Mighty Crocodile as a lesson. Abandon.

Attempt Number 4:
Two more workers plummet to their doom working on the bow of the ship. Neither of them have the common decency to die on impact, so they are dealt with by opening the pumps and flooding the base of the drydock with water. Kubluk IV was actually having lunch at the time, so has a narrow escape.

I then realise both picks are lost at the bottom of the dock.

Kubluk IV is fed to the Mighty Crocodile.

Welcome to Spiritwood

Servu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2009, 10:13:52 am »

This sounds great so far.

If this is a community fort, may I request a dwarf?
Servu the mechanic (pref. male)

Cirius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2009, 03:13:18 pm »

Why the hell not, the more the merrier. Though I do warn you, the mortality rate has so far been quite shocking. There's plenty of room on board for anyone else who feels like jumping on the bandwagon.

Welcome to Spiritwood

IHateOutside

• Bay Watcher
  • Fire safety is for wimps.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2009, 03:17:03 pm »

I'm in. If you want, you can change my name a bit to make it more dorfy.

LegoLord

• Bay Watcher
  • Can you see it now?
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 31, 2009, 05:25:35 pm »

Me as well.  Legon the crossbowdwarf (when possible) shall be my name and game (erm, profession).
"Oh look there is a dragon my clothes might burn let me take them off and only wear steel plate."
And this is how tinned food was invented.
Alternately: The Brick Testament. It's a really fun look at what the bible would look like if interpreted literally. With Legos.
Just so I remember

Teach

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 01, 2009, 02:51:16 am »

Excellent!
I would also like to request a dwarf.
Teach the swordsdwarf.  Crazy pirate type. Aargh!
+5 bonus points for every limb he is lacking
+10 for eyes
(Preferably leave him one arm for his sword but if he must bite people so be it).

Cirius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 01, 2009, 03:23:10 am »

I can just see the python references already. "Come back coward, I'll bite your legs off!"

Welcome to Spiritwood

Cirius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 01, 2009, 03:24:29 am »

Kubluk Taniden has been unconscious lately. He has admired a fine carpenter’s workshop recently. He talked with a friend recently. He has complained about the end of the world recently.

He is a rather reluctant believer in Moist Vetek.

Kubluk Taniden likes the dry. When possible, he prefers to consume Dwarven Rum and Sweet Pod seeds. He absolutely detests the end of the world.

He often feels discouraged. He needs alcohol to get through the working day. He likes working outdoors, but grumbles constantly about the end of the world.

He has been summoned to see the council recently.

“Kubluk, do you know why we have summoned you here?” the chairman asked, peering over his glasses at Kubluk, who stood rather sheepishly in the centre of the council chamber. The dwarf mumbled something in response.

“I’m sorry Kubluk, I did not hear you.”

“The end of the world, mi’lordship.”  Kubluk repeated, holding his crumpled cap in his hands.

The three council members surveyed him cautiously. The chairman looked down at his notes, as if checking his response. “Ah yes, the great flood as prophesised by the Holy Moist Vetek, a somewhat second grade weather god.” He paused, flexing his fingers. “And what, pray, do you wish to say about it?”

“Need to build a ship m’lordship.”

Dirulal stepped forward and coughed. “If it pleases the council, might I speak on his behalf?”

To Dirulal’s surprise, Kubluk waved away his offer of assistance, and stood upright. He coughed. “I am sorry, the whole thing has knocked me for six. I am fine to speak for myself. Moist has given me the task of saving dwarfkind, by building a ship sturdy enough to survive the oncoming deluge.” He drew his axe, a rather small item, more for appearances than actual use, and rested it on the ground. “He chose me, of all the dwarves in the mountainhome, and by my father’s memory, I will build this ship.”

The chairman rocked forward on his chair, and smiled faintly. “And what, pray, do you know of ship building?”

“Absolutely nothing, my lord.”

Rather conveniently, Moist had done Kubluk an enormous favour. There was no doubt whatsoever in the dwarves as to the truth of his story. Over half the population of the mountain home had seen a vision of the weather god the previous night so there was no question of belief. It was therefore within a matter of hours that the council reconvened in the war-room around a circular table upon which a map of the continent lay. Present were Kubluk, Dirulal, the three council leaders, the chairman, and a couple of bespectacled dwarves that Kubluk could only assume were experts in some field or other.

An argument had broken out.

“We can’t possibly build it there,” one expert shouted, thrusting a finger at the map. “It would take at least two months to get anybody there, let alone start work on the infrastructure required!”

Another interjected, “Well Glein, I can’t see you coming out with any better ideas. Where do you suggest we get all the wood in that desert of yours?!”
The debate had been raging for almost an hour. Every proposed site for the ship was being immediately rejected by one or all of the experts. Kubluk was close to a breakdown. He slammed his fist on the table.

“Then if we can’t build it there, then where can we build it?!” he exclaimed.

“Might aye address the council?” A voice spoke from the doorway. As one the group turned to see a stocky dwarf enter the room.

“Servu,” the chairman nodded in recognition,  “of course your presence at the table is welcome.”

Servu ‘Montgomery’ Muttleshnuck entered the room. The dwarf was short even by dwarf standards, and had a sharp pencil  tucked eternally behind his ear.  He strolled up to the table, his kilt swishing loudly in the silence.

“It seems to me,” he began, “that ye cannee just build a massive great ship out in the middle of nowhere. Thar’s the question of materials fer a start. Some’n that big will need one great big pile o’ wood.”

The chairman nodded, and pointed at the map. “Forests aren’t that hard to come by, but it’s the quality of wood that‘s the issue, we need hard timber. Added to that, we need ground soft enough to quarry out at high speed.”

“Not just soft ground laddie,” Servu interrupted, “ye need a firm stone base beneath to rest the shennanigans on, no more than three, four lev’ls down.”

Dirulal interjected. “We know all that Servu, but there’s nowhere feasible within two hundred miles of here. Where the trees are big enough, the ground is too unstable, and where the ground is stable enough, there‘s not enough wood.”

“Well then,” the dwarf continued. “When ye eliminate the feasible, yer left with the rest.” He stepped forward, and pointed dramatically at the map with his pencil. Beneath its lead lay a shaded area of forest. The council leaned forward, and read the name. Silence descended.

“The Spiritwood.”

The sacred elven grounds, home to their holiest of trees, destination for countless elven pilgrimages on a yearly basis. And Servu was proposing to strip it bare of trees within three months, quarry an almighty hole from its sacred ground, and do it all under the nose of one of the strongest military powers on the continent.

“Aye, ye all know I’m right.”

The council looked at each other in silence for a few moments, until finally a consensus was met. The chairman stroked his beard.

“By the mountainhome, the Elves are going to be pissed.”

Welcome to Spiritwood

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 01, 2009, 06:32:58 am »

Oh this story is going to kick elf!
Im loving it already
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 01, 2009, 07:30:13 am »

... Tacken the butcher please? male. preferably with a hate of kittens. hehe.
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

Labs

• Bay Watcher
  • This aggresion will not stand, man.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 01, 2009, 08:29:17 am »

If there are any left, Give me Labs the Carpenter/Woodcutter.
I like to slip into bear caves around midnight and gently caress the carnivore inside before leaving a small cut of fresh fish and sneaking out.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 25