Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 362 363 [364] 365 366 ... 13311

Author Topic: [MILK] There were 12 eggs here what did you do with them? (Happy thread?!)  (Read 14515075 times)

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you HAPPY today thread. Mew! :3
« Reply #5445 on: February 08, 2010, 11:44:32 am »

I can never grind a single-player game.  I can barely grind an MMO.  The closest I ever came to grinding was killing the Tempest Lizard (Was that it?  The huge, really hard one that's tucked away, not the one that chases you) over and over again.  It sucked because it was a really hard boss, but it got us all up into our mid-30s for the final boss, who was obscenely hard.

I forgot to say what game I was talking about, whoops.  Golden Sun.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2010, 12:10:28 pm by Cthulhu »
Shoes...

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5446 on: February 08, 2010, 11:49:54 am »

I would recommend that FFTA not be played at all. The main character is an idiot and the enemy AI is terrible. There's honest-to-god ways to make the game unbeatable, and if it weren't for the character growth and learning system, there'd be no redeeming values to the game at all.

Oddly enough, it's often debated that this has one of the best stories of the FF series, but for all the wrong reasons. Basically, and this is no spoiler, your character is literally an evil, selfish asshole that is trying to destroy the world, kill the millions of people that live in the world, and force all his closest friends and relatives into doing what he wants by force, all so he can return to his truly terrible life. He's truly a moron.

I've never played A2, but since it's a sequal to a bad game, I can only guess that it too is bad.

Hawkfrost

• Bay Watcher
  • It's way too late to stop.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5447 on: February 08, 2010, 11:53:07 am »

I would have preferred it if the enemy even just attempted to follow the law.
And believe me, I remember those insane laws from A1. No Attacking Monsters, no Attacking, no using Skills or techniques... ugh.

I still don't like the law system for A2, but I guess it is a bit better now that I think about it.

How long was FFTA1 supposed to be anyway?  I had no idea how the story or plot was supposed to work, so I just did every mission given to me all the time.  I'd clocked dozens of hours and only defeated like two of those crazy superboss guys, and that wasn't until way after I started.  I finally just gave up because the game wasn't going anywhere.  I mean, I know any Final Fantasy game is going to be a  grindfest, but that was getting ridiculous.

Depends if you do the optional missions or just do the main story ones.
You could just run through the story as quick as possible, but you won't have very strong gear or characters so you'll need to plan every battle very carefully.

I remember once when I got lucky facing the (second?) Totema, the crystals one.
The law for the day was no Charming, so the boss did absolutely nothing the entire battle. I was wondering if it was supposed to be hard, just walking around smashing the crystals three at a time.

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5448 on: February 08, 2010, 11:54:44 am »

Actually, the crystals don't do anything. You just have to waste a couple minutes smashing them all.

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5449 on: February 08, 2010, 11:57:28 am »

You could just run through the story as quick as possible, but you won't have very strong gear or characters so you'll need to plan every battle very carefully.

But that's the thing.  I couldn't tell which was which, and it seemed like there usually wasn't a plot mission available at all.  That and I kept fighting the random mob guys running around the map.  I figured that was important.  Pity I could find the story, by the time I got to the Totema fights or whatever they're called, I mopped the floor with them so I must have been badly overleveled.

Oddly enough, it's often debated that this has one of the best stories of the FF series, but for all the wrong reasons. Basically, and this is no spoiler, your character is literally an evil, selfish asshole that is trying to destroy the world, kill the millions of people that live in the world, and force all his closest friends and relatives into doing what he wants by force, all so he can return to his truly terrible life. He's truly a moron.

Oh I gathered that as soon as the tutorial was over.  Where do your dreams go when you no longer dream them?  Still, I was hoping the game would be fun, since I loved it's technical forebear The Knight of Lodis.  Well, pity then.  Back to trying to maintain interest in FF6 until I beat it for the dozenth time.
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

Hawkfrost

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5450 on: February 08, 2010, 12:01:27 pm »

Actually, the crystals don't do anything. You just have to waste a couple minutes smashing them all.

I know for a fact they have a Charm ability.

I've never played A2, but since it's a sequal to a bad game, I can only guess that it too is bad.

The story makes more sense (The hero doesn't really want to go home so much, and the way to go home is to adventure and collect stories in the book anyway), there is more classes, races, skills, items and monsters. Random battles are rare and easily avoided, and the quests are more thought out. The AI is better and can be a bastard occasionally, and the monsters have more dangerous abilities.

But that's the thing.  I couldn't tell which was which, and it seemed like there usually wasn't a plot mission available at all.  That and I kept fighting the random mob guys running around the map.  I figured that was important.  Pity I could find the story, by the time I got to the Totema fights or whatever they're called, I mopped the floor with them so I must have been badly overleveled.

The story missions had "Cannot be Cancelled" in their description.

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5451 on: February 08, 2010, 12:06:34 pm »

I don't know where you've gotten this, but I've played through the game multiple times (insane, I know), and those crystals have never done anything. If it's a guide that told you this, the author must have used a disassembler in order to find out if they actually have any moves besides "do nothing".

Hawkfrost

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5452 on: February 08, 2010, 12:15:09 pm »

I don't know where you've gotten this, but I've played through the game multiple times (insane, I know), and those crystals have never done anything. If it's a guide that told you this, the author must have used a disassembler in order to find out if they actually have any moves besides "do nothing".

Last time I played through the crystals charmed half my party.
Maybe you are landing on days where Charm is illegal, I donno.

All I know is that when your main is standing beside your white mage and gets charmed, it's a pretty annoying turn of events.

chaoticag

• Bay Watcher
  • All Natural Pengbean
    • View Profile
« Reply #5453 on: February 08, 2010, 12:41:05 pm »

The first crystal battle had the charming crystals, the second had that dude that kept casting his spells at you.

The second game was pretty disapointing for me, given that I played the first to death. The second had the law system that deprived you of benefits, which improved things a bit for me, but the story was pretty bad in my opinion. It ranks second worst for me, the third star ocean game beats it a bit by having that ending, followed by the fact that I never felt a concrete goal.

Really, that game's plot had gotten to inane proportions when
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

But I digress, I probably talked more today than usual. I don't seem to talk much nowadays.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2010, 12:42:44 pm by chaoticag »

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5454 on: February 08, 2010, 12:43:41 pm »

How silly of me to forget that there's TWO crystal battles. I completely forgot about the first one, while I remembered the second because I hated how much of a waste of time it was.

Armok

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Blood
    • View Profile
« Reply #5455 on: February 08, 2010, 03:06:56 pm »

My sister just got elected to compete in the paralympics. :D I generally dislike sports, but you can't have a sister that freekin hardcore and not brag about it. ;)
So says Armok, God of blood.
Sszsszssoo...
Sszsszssaaayysss...
III...

Hawkfrost

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5456 on: February 08, 2010, 03:13:27 pm »

My sister just got elected to compete in the paralympics. :D I generally dislike sports, but you can't have a sister that freekin hardcore and not brag about it. ;)

Congrats.

And sports aren't that bad, I used to like playing hockey.

chaoticag

• Bay Watcher
  • All Natural Pengbean
    • View Profile
« Reply #5457 on: February 08, 2010, 03:15:42 pm »

Congratulations.
As of today, all I have to do is wait for my ninth grade papers to reach the University of my choice. They reviewed my application and everything, but they were missing my ninth grade papers for some odd reason. I'm nervous about the whole thing, but should I get accepted, I'll be a happy man.

Itnetlolor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
« Reply #5458 on: February 08, 2010, 03:35:58 pm »

This pretty crazy video my brother sent me:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=42E2fAWM6rA

It's a weird palindromish video that gains opposite meaning in reverse. It's hard to explain, you just gotta watch.

Enjoying my birthday a bit as well. Slayed a few colossi to epic music, watched an air race (on TV), so far so good.

redacted123

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
-
« Reply #5459 on: February 08, 2010, 03:44:04 pm »

-
« Last Edit: June 25, 2017, 11:29:21 am by Stany »
Pages: 1 ... 362 363 [364] 365 366 ... 13311